PDA

View Full Version : Critical Hits Deck

LGKR
06-18-2010, 16:43
The subject of the explosion card not actually being an explosion came up again at our league game last week. The talk of making a seperate "Critical Hit Deck" was brought up. I thought it would add a little flavor to our games to make a deck with cards printed with what catastrophic event actually happened when the explosion card is drawn.

What I need help with is a list of catastrophic events that could happen to a WWI aircraft.

I upload the deck when I have it completed.

Oberst Hajj
06-18-2010, 17:02
Don, I want to make sure I understand this correctly, you are going to make a deck of cards that you randomly draw from when you receive the explosion card out of the normal damage deck?

LGKR
06-18-2010, 17:08
Don, I want to make sure I understand this correctly, you are going to make a deck of cards that you randomly draw from when you receive the explosion card out of the normal damage deck?

Correct. After you draw the explosion card from the standard damage deck you would draw from the Critical hits deck. It's just for fun and to add flavor to the game.:)

usmc1855
06-18-2010, 17:20
1. Catastrophic explosion :D

2. Engulfed in flames :eek:

3. Wing Collapses :(

4. Controls destroyed... plane goes into unrecoverable dive! :mad:

5. Plane catches fire, and spins out of control, spiraling to the ground :o

6. Ammunition or bombs (if carried) ignites, and you have a series of sympathetic detonations, ripping the cockpit area to shreds (and coincidentally... the pilot!)

7. Engine riddled with holes... plane sputters as a super heated fuel and oil mix splashes over pilot, scolding him until at last, mercifully, he ignites as a wing rips off and the plane begins to spiral out of control to the ground.

LGKR
06-18-2010, 17:49
1. Catastrophic explosion :D

2. Engulfed in flames :eek:

3. Wing Collapses :(

4. Controls destroyed... plane goes into unrecoverable dive! :mad:

5. Plane catches fire, and spins out of control, spiraling to the ground :o

6. Ammunition or bombs (if carried) ignites, and you have a series of sympathetic detonations, ripping the cockpit area to shreds (and coincidentally... the pilot!)

7. Engine riddled with holes... plane sputters as a super heated fuel and oil mix splashes over pilot, scolding him until at last, mercifully, he ignites as a wing rips off and the plane begins to spiral out of control to the ground.

I like those, very descriptive. I do need more that are less firey and explosive. :D

charlest
06-18-2010, 18:15
8. Pilot killed outright; infantry descending upon the wreckage find the poor fellow with a single wound through his chest.

David Kuijt
06-18-2010, 18:18
I like those, very descriptive. I do need more that are less firey and explosive. :D

Bullet shatters the control column; plane completely uncontrollable in a spin, taking fifteen minutes gyrating all over the sky as it falls until it swoops just before the crash and the pilot walks away with only bruises. (Happened to Collishaw)

One bullet between the eyes. You never feel it. (Richtofen's death)

Seatbelt breaks during a violent maneuver and out you go. Fall 10,000 feet pretending to be Icarus.

Bullet clips your skull, knocking you unconscious. Will you wake up in time to avoid a crash? Or by flukey luck, survive it? Who knows...

Fuel line severed. Engine stops. Gliding home, if you have the altitude, or if you're German (winds almost uniformly blew towards the German side from the Allied).

Two shattered cabane struts and your upper wing warps, then buckles and folds like a wet paper plane. Aerodynamic properties are negatively modified to simulate a badly folded copy of the London Times.

LGKR
06-18-2010, 18:28
Bullet shatters the control column; plane completely uncontrollable in a spin, taking fifteen minutes gyrating all over the sky as it falls until it swoops just before the crash and the pilot walks away with only bruises. (Happened to Collishaw)

One bullet between the eyes. You never feel it. (Richtofen's death)

Seatbelt breaks during a violent maneuver and out you go. Fall 10,000 feet pretending to be Icarus.

Bullet clips your skull, knocking you unconscious. Will you wake up in time to avoid a crash? Or by flukey luck, survive it? Who knows...

Fuel line severed. Engine stops. Gliding home, if you have the altitude, or if you're German (winds almost uniformly blew towards the German side from the Allied).

Two shattered cabane struts and your upper wing warps, then buckles and folds like a wet paper plane. Aerodynamic properties are negatively modified to simulate a badly folded copy of the London Times.

Now these are what I'm looking for - more more more please :D

Kahlerclan
06-18-2010, 20:48
Now these are what I'm looking for - more more more please :D

The aircraft pluges into a series of huge loops and rolls until disappearing into a cloud deck never to be seen again...

flash
06-19-2010, 01:46
Don - How about this.....

You're showered in splinters and the engine races at maximum revs ....
Your guns interrupter gear has been damaged & you've shot off your own prop :eek: - or - if you prefer the enemy has shot through your prop & it has disintergrated ... you immediately cut the engine, dive out of the combat area & try to glide to safety.

You could have a deck for an explosion card drawn on fire damage and cover the Woomf scenarios but that may be a tad gruesome. :(

Gaz67
06-19-2010, 03:39
Aircraft suddenly flys straight and level, leaving a thin trail of smoke as it flys North, pilot is listed as "Missing in Action"

flash
06-19-2010, 06:09
Aircraft makes the perfect 3 point landing at his home field - pilot is found to be dead at the stick riddled with bullets when it comes to a stop...
do not adjust your set ... you have entered the twilight zone ...
( and for you youngsters out there that doesn't involve fangs !)

Gaz67
06-19-2010, 07:10
Aircraft weaves and dodges and loops losing all attempts to target him, where'd that tree come from (Boom)

LGKR
06-19-2010, 10:50
Thanks guys, these are all great. I'll probably incorporate them all in one fashion or another.

Max Headroom
06-20-2010, 17:09
How 'bout several options of forced maneuvers to perform in attempt to avoid total destruction... e.g.
1.) fly 6 straights in a row to extinguish flames
2.) fly 6 hard left/right to land broken wing strut
3.) land instantly... dive, straight, stall.
if achieved then draw a card... if card shows special damage... fail... boom!

LGKR
06-21-2010, 10:09
How 'bout several options of forced maneuvers to perform in attempt to avoid total destruction... e.g.
1.) fly 6 straights in a row to extinguish flames
2.) fly 6 hard left/right to land broken wing strut
3.) land instantly... dive, straight, stall.
if achieved then draw a card... if card shows special damage... fail... boom!

Those are good ideas, but don't realy fit in with what I'm doung. This deck will tell you what happened when you draw the explosion card, it does not stop the plane from being out of the fight, it mearly gives a random outcome of the explsion card to add flavor to game. I am making it have 25% chance to see if the pilot/observer survives.

LGKR
06-21-2010, 10:13
Ok guys I need more help, I'm shooting for a deck of 24 cards. I've got 17 so far, I don't mind repeating the types of catasrophies. If someone out there could come up with a list of ways an aircraft could be damaged during combat would be a big help.

Gaz67
06-21-2010, 10:27
You power dive to escape, sadly your escape speed is more than your aircraft was designed to take, fuselage and wings part company...

Kahlerclan
06-21-2010, 11:52
bullets slice through the control cables and the aircraft initiates a continuous "falling leaf" manuver as it flutters to the ground

Snowy
06-21-2010, 14:15
Don, the following is damage results table from the ruleset 'Fire in the Sky'. I am the author and I give you permission to use any of these that may work for you.

Good luck!

Roll one D20 and compare to table. Any aircraft which drops maneuverability beyond level ‘F’ must fly straight and lose 500 foot height each movement phase.

01 Bullets rip through the flight control surfaces on the left top wing, reducing the maneuverability by 1 level. A second hit in this area will force the aircraft to crash. The pilot shakes his fist angrily in your direction.

02 The pilot curses you and your dog as bullets fly through his propeller. 13+ indicates propeller damage. The aircraft will slow to stalling speed and descend to tree top level.

03 Structural damage to the wing roots causes the whole aircraft to shudder. The pilot is forced to fly with gentle maneuvers for fear of the wing falling off. This still may happen on a throw of 16+. Maneuverability drops one class. The pilot is not happy.

04 Startled, the pilot watches anxiously as holes appear in his engine cowling. The engine dies on 16+ and the aircraft must crash land. The engine is on fire on 16+. If there is fire, the fuel tank explodes on 10+. Any aircraft within 100 yards may be damaged. Test as though it received one burst.

05 Center section of the top wing is hit, causing splinters to fly. The pilot is preoccupied by fabric flapping in his face, and cannot attack or tail during the next movement phase. The forward gun mount is damaged on a 16+. If damaged, cannot fire for the rest of the game.

06 Hot lead rips through the pilot compartment. Pilot is wounded on 16+. He survives and may continue to fly on 16+. Otherwise, aircraft will spiral to the ground. Gunner, if present, may try to land the aircraft on 18+.

07 The pilot sees daylight through the base of the bottom wing. Gritting his teeth he braces himself for a hard dogfight. The wheels are wrecked on a throw of 16+. If so the aircraft will crash on landing. Throw 8+ for each of the crew to survive. Do not make this throw until after the game.

08 Flight control wires are severed on 14+. Aircraft spirals to the ground.

09 Bullets stitch through the bottom wing ailerons. The pilot feels the loss of control as the maneuverability drops by one level. Another throw of 12+ means the aircraft must crash land. 8+ indicates successful landing. Otherwise 10+ for crew to survive.

10 Holes appear all around the fuel tank housing. Fuel tank is hit and fuel gushes out. The pilot curses his luck as his engine begins to sputter. The Aircraft runs out of fuel on 12+ and must crash land. 8+ indicates successful landing. Otherwise 10+ for crew to survive.

11 Wing struts are hit. They are shattered on throw of 16+. This causes the wing to collapse, much to the dismay of the pilot and crew. The aircraft spirals to the ground.

12 Machine gun ammunition feed is hit. Test which machine gun for multi crew aircraft. Odds on a die roll indicate front guns. The machine guns are jammed on 16+ and cannot fire for three movement phases. Also the maneuverability is reduced to level ‘F’ while the pilot clears the guns. Not applicable if it is the rear guns.

13 Main spar on lower wing root is splintered. Aircraft drops 2 levels of maneuverability. If this means the maneuverability is less than ‘F’, then the aircraft must crash land. 8+ indicates successful landing. Otherwise 10+ for crew to survive.

14 The fuel tank is hit and catches fire. The pilot tries to beat it out as it engulfs the rear of the aircraft. The aircraft will explode on 16+. Any aircraft within 100 yards may be damaged. Test as though it received one burst.

15 Ailerons on top right wing are damaged. Maneuverability is reduced by one level. A second hit in this area will force the aircraft to crash. The pilot is now seeking revenge for his damaged aircraft.

16 The pilot flinches as holes appear all around him. His favorite pair of flight goggles are ripped from his head, his scarf is badly holed and his flight jacket is sprayed with wood splinters. With a glazed look in his eyes, he turns his aircraft towards the nearest friendly airfield and ‘hightails it’ for home.

17 The wing roots narrowly miss damage as the pilot throws back his head shouting “Missed me you swine!”

18 Slight damage occurs when the aircraft crosses a stream of bullets. Maneuverability is reduced by one level.

19 Bullets fly wildly in all directions as the pilot tries to dodge the gunfire. Wing struts are damaged on throw of 16+. This would force the pilot to run for home at tree top level.

20 Rudder is hit and jams, causing the aircraft to move in a slow turn. (Use turn maneuverability of ‘F’.) This will continue until the pilot can free the rudder on 14+. This is tested at the end of each movement phase. ‘Odds’ the aircraft move left, ‘evens’ the aircraft moves right. The aircraft drops one level in maneuverability.

LGKR
06-21-2010, 16:04
Don, the following is damage results table from the ruleset 'Fire in the Sky'. I am the author and I give you permission to use any of these that may work for you.

Good luck!

Thanks much those are big help.

flash
06-21-2010, 16:48
Don - a couple more:

Bullets shatter windscreen & flying debris blinds pilot - a/c subsequently spins to its doom.
Bullets destroy magnetos (?) & engine stops dead - pilot rolls out of fight & glides away
Bullets destroy seat support & it collapses - pilot loses control of a/c as he thumps to cockpit floor, subsequently regains control & limps home (or not if you choose not to!)

csadn
06-21-2010, 23:05
"Oil Line Severed: Pilot inhales massive cloud of castor oil from engine, and suffers fatal attack of diarrhea."

>:)

LGKR
06-22-2010, 10:46
"Oil Line Severed: Pilot inhales massive cloud of castor oil from engine, and suffers fatal attack of diarrhea."

>:)

I love it. :D

Oberst Hajj
06-24-2010, 04:54
Don has uploaded this new deck (http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=409) and it has been approved. You can start downloading it now.

Guntruck
06-24-2010, 05:53
Just downloaded, and will be testing it out this weekend. Looks good, thanks Don.

LGKR
06-24-2010, 05:59
Just downloaded, and will be testing it out this weekend. Looks good, thanks Don.

Thanks. It was fun putting it together. I would like to thank all of who posted ideas for the deck. Some I would have loved to include, but I wanted it to be as close to "real outcomes" as possible. Still would have loved to include the 'fatal diarrhea'.

Snowy
06-24-2010, 11:03
Don, great job. I looks good and adds a new dimention in demise!

By the way, typo on 5/24, should be scalds, not scolds.

Thanks for the project.:)

LGKR
06-24-2010, 11:38
Don, great job. I looks good and adds a new dimention in demise!

By the way, typo on 5/24, should be scalds, not scolds.

Thanks for the project.:)

Damn! Cut & paste gets me everytime.

Just uploaded the fixed version. you guys might have to wait for it to be approved.

Snowy
06-24-2010, 13:15
The thing that stands out to me is there is a 25% survival rate for the explosion card with this system. It means that there is hope for a pilot in a campaign.

Again, thanks for your hard work, I am sure a lot of fliers will enjoy using the cards.

AlgyLacey
06-24-2010, 14:25
I don't seem to be allowed to download this fellahs.

Any ideas?

LGKR
06-24-2010, 15:19
I don't seem to be allowed to download this fellahs.

Any ideas?

I fixed some typos, just waiting for the approval.

Oberst Hajj
06-24-2010, 16:41
There we go Gents, the new version is up.

ktodd
06-24-2010, 21:32
LGKR,

Great looking deck!

Thanks,

Keith