PDA

View Full Version : I need instructions

mik
07-19-2013, 06:24
I have downloaded the torpedo card ships etc from the files section but need instructions on there use. Knowing how the numbers were arrived at would also be nice.
The cards are by Skafloc and very nice too. My interest was from the Torpedo tutorial post, which is good but I can't get my head round a torpedo going as fast as a slow wildcat.

Mik the stick.

mik
07-19-2013, 07:26
Sorry all the ships at sea rules seem to do it.

Lt. S.Kafloc
07-19-2013, 09:29
Mik those cards were designed following the old Table Top Rules Coastal Warfare set, mainly for ships up to and including light cruisers. Since I started playing the Midway Rising campaign I decided to change the way I used the torpedo's. If you send me your email address I'll send you a copy and you can have a go at them. But basically you drop the torp red or black dot up. Keep flipping it over and if the red dot hits then apply damage dependent on HE weight/10.

tikkifriend
07-19-2013, 23:17
Neil can you send me a copy to please . Ta

Lt. S.Kafloc
07-20-2013, 02:16
Will do, if you and Mik would play test them that would be a great help, outside looking in is better than my myopic eyes being blinkered and thinking they are complete, will post them tonight to you both, Paul if I dont have it could you PM me with your email address, Cheers.

mik
07-20-2013, 05:00
i try to send you my email can you let me know if you had got it

Lt. S.Kafloc
07-20-2013, 13:26
Yep got both your email addresses I've just been out all day. Draft set should be with you by now.

i try to send you my email can you let me know if you had got it

tikkifriend
07-21-2013, 01:19
Had a quick look at what you sent Neil, looks good :thumbsup: Will have a go at a torpedo run Val vs USN and let you know what happens.

Lt. S.Kafloc
07-21-2013, 04:16
Just put in an order for 4 Kate's. Hopefully they will be here and painted for Border Reiver.

Had a quick look at what you sent Neil, looks good :thumbsup: Will have a go at a torpedo run Val vs USN and let you know what happens.

mik
07-27-2013, 07:54
Skafloc, I haven't been able to do much testing in a game so far. My private solo test results are fine.
COMMENTS :- Torpedoes depending on their type and speed can travel at 28-45+ kts. or about 84km/h. This =1cm =50km/h = 1.7cms 1cm = 20kts. It would be very easy to introduce speed and movement of ships and torpedoes if players wished to do so. For me that would be an improvement.
mik the stick.

tikkifriend
07-27-2013, 08:10
I thought about that but as this is more a WoW /planes based set of rules with ships involved rather than a Fleet game with planes involved I would tend to go for the less complicated , but non the less accurate, rules as are.

tikkifriend
07-27-2013, 08:11
When do the real bombers( The Corsairs ) released?

Lt. S.Kafloc
07-27-2013, 09:23
With the black and red dots you simulate the chance of missing, add in the miss, near miss and hit zones and you have another chance to miss altogether or cause half damage. With the WW1 set I introduced ship movement and change of bearing. Although I have included change of bearing in the WW2 set I neglected to put in a table for how many points each type of ship could turn and how often. I leave it up to players to decide whether a ship is considered static for game/scenario purposes or if they need to add in movement I am going to produce a single sheet with generic movement cards for the ship cards I am producing. This exercise was never intended to produce near accurate/historically viable torpedo attacks, the math just adds to the complexity, ie aiming off, height of drop, speed of aircraft with speed of target and speed of torpedo.

So hopefully keeping within the bounds of playability and the simplicity of the WGS/WGF rules I opted for the rules as they are. I have said these were intended for my own use with my own scale of ships (1/1200-1250). Hence the size of the table cards. If anyone wants to change anything feel free. I like them and unless there is anything glaring faulty with the mechanics then I wont change them. I think I have added enough detail into the rules mechanics and added documentary proof of just how hard it was to hit anything.

Glad you've enjoyed them, hope you get to try them more and get a real feel. Hopefully if everything goes well we will have a live link up at Border Reiver, falling that I will video and post the Show online.

TTFN, got to finish the Bismark class cards.

Skafloc, I haven't been able to do much testing in a game so far. My private solo test results are fine.
COMMENTS :- Torpedoes depending on their type and speed can travel at 28-45+ kts. or about 84km/h. This =1cm =50km/h = 1.7cms 1cm = 20kts. It would be very easy to introduce speed and movement of ships and torpedoes if players wished to do so. For me that would be an improvement.
mik the stick.

Lt. S.Kafloc
07-27-2013, 09:38
Don't know the answer to that one. I have just sent for 4 Kates, hope they arrive to be used at Boerder Reiver. I am also trying to get Dauntless and Devastators from the US. Unfortunately they wont be here in time for Border Reiver. I was going to run a torpedo/bomber attack competition style game. Board split in two. 1 half the US Yorktown the other IJN Shokaku. The game would have been "You have 10 aircraft. You have 12 aircraft to choose from. Decide your breakdown, decide on a CAP, if you have one. Then both attacking waves fly against each respective carrier with or without a CAP. (I would have had 4 fighters, 4 dive and 4 torpedo bombers for each team, if they had all come at the same time).

Well that was the idea anyway, now its just the IJN Aircraft v the Yorktown.

When do the real bombers( The Corsairs ) released?

mik
07-27-2013, 10:34
Neil I'm not at home for a few days so I can't recheck your rules, i have no problem with them as they are except perhaps i could be using them wrong. If I am doing things wrong I still like the results I get.
mik the stick

Lt. S.Kafloc
07-27-2013, 15:50
I've got a few games coming up demonstrating the skip bombing and torpedo attacks use of the clear bomb card etc. Don't worry about it.

tikkifriend
07-28-2013, 02:04
Where did you order the Kates from Neil?

Lt. S.Kafloc
07-28-2013, 07:07
magister militum.

http://magistermilitum.com/

apologies just found link and pasted it in.

Lt. S.Kafloc
07-29-2013, 02:53
Bismark card uploaded for moderation. If anyone has a request let me know. Only 15 more shopping days to 'hors de combat'.

Lt. S.Kafloc
07-31-2013, 15:27
Uploaded Mikuma class heavy cruiser (IJN) and Centaur class light fleet carrier.