PDA

View Full Version : WGF: Series 2 Reprints

Pages : [1] 2 3

Oberst Hajj
07-08-2013, 10:42
I've just had word that Series 2 is the next reprint that is being worked on and that we should see them late this year! So, all you little boys and girls looking for some Fokker D.VIIs should put them on your Christmas list!

Flying Officer Kyte
07-08-2013, 10:49
I've just had word that Series 2 is the next reprint that is being worked on and that we should see them late this year! So, all you little boys and girls looking for some Fokker D.VIIs should put them on your Christmas list!

:clap:Oh frabjous day callooh callay he chortled in his joy.
Rob.

David Manley
07-08-2013, 10:54
Bueno :)

7eat51
07-08-2013, 11:01
This is good news, indeed. Will Goering's white Fokker be one of them?

Will the rest of the planes follow the original series - Snipe, DH.4, Roland C.II?

Baldrick62
07-08-2013, 11:01
Yippee-I-O-Ky-Ay!

Jäger
07-08-2013, 11:17
Indeed splenderous! We should have enough time to save some cents, or maybe I'll just buy less gifts for my brothers. :clap:

MoonSylver
07-08-2013, 11:25
This is good news, indeed. Will Goering's white Fokker be one of them?

Will the rest of the planes follow the original series - Snipe, DH.4, Roland C.II?

For the first question, I'd be surprised if it wasn't, just because of customization purposes. For the 2nd, I have the same question too: D.VII, Snipe, C.II & DH.4? :confused:

Oberst Hajj
07-08-2013, 11:49
I've got an inquire in about which of the original pilots will be reprinted. A long time ago it was said that Goering would be the D.VII, but I'm hoping that has changed.

As to what other planes will be included, it is a complete reprint of Series 2, so we will also get the Snipe, C.II and DH.4.

Personally, I'll pick up all the new D.VIIs and Snipes (and lots of extra D.VIIs for repaints), but this might be the first release that I do not pick up one of everything. I very rarely use my C.IIs and DH.4s, so don't see a real need to buy those unless I just have to have a complete collection.

MoonSylver
07-08-2013, 11:56
I've got an inquire in about which of the original pilots will be reprinted. A long time ago it was said that Goering would be the D.VII, but I'm hoping that has changed.

As to what other planes will be included, it is a complete reprint of Series 2, so we will also get the Snipe, C.II and DH.4.

Personally, I'll pick up all the new D.VIIs and Snipes (and lots of extra D.VIIs for repaints), but this might be the first release that I do not pick up one of everything. I very rarely use my C.IIs and DH.4s, so don't see a real need to buy those unless I just have to have a complete collection.

Thanks Keith. :thumbsup: I plan on buying one of everything, since I don't have ANY of them. Beats building my own! :D

calm
07-08-2013, 12:17
Good news !!!! Seems it will be all the series for me :money:

Boney10
07-08-2013, 12:19
I look forward to getting new schemes of this series, although I already have a number of Roland's.
Would love to se an official Sachsenberg or Hipperts MIMMI

Pseudotheist
07-08-2013, 13:34
but this might be the first release that I do not pick up one of everything. I very rarely use my C.IIs and DH.4s, so don't see a real need to buy those unless I just have to have a complete collection.
Wait 6 months; you'll be able to get them for $6 a piece...

Oberst Hajj
07-08-2013, 14:09
Wait 6 months; you'll be able to get them for $6 a piece...

But I still would not need them. LOL I'm sure I'll pick them up, I mean I've got all the WGS minis and never play with them either.

somaliavet
07-08-2013, 14:12
:pray: Excellent, excellent, my precious!!!!

john snelling
07-08-2013, 14:27
Well be buying the D.VIIs also repaints of the bombers just to have one of everything. Never played with the Snipes.

Jager
07-08-2013, 14:41

Karl

Jager
07-08-2013, 14:49

Well, I'll certainly be following your lead with the D.VIIs; really hoping we get at least 1 lozenge easy to repaint like Schaefer. No Goring, thanks.
As for the rest, I'll probably pick up the new Snipes, and maybe the Rolands, but I have enough DH-4s for full formation raids with both USA and Brits.
Karl

wargamer
07-08-2013, 14:49
Nice news, but will the foam hanger trays be restocked anytime before then?

Flying Officer Kyte
07-08-2013, 14:56
Yes Keith, i more or less with yo on that.
Iwill buy loads of DVIIs, any Snipes that I fancy, but only any others if they are from the same Squadron as the ones I already have. Then I can run a sortie with matching aircraft. I don't use them enough even to bother with repaints.
Rob.

Baldrick62
07-08-2013, 15:11
... any Snipes that I fancy, but only any others if they are from the same Squadron as the ones I already have. Then I can run a sortie with matching aircraft.

Well, given that unless ARES decide on some 1919/RCW schemes there are only 2 sqns that flew the Snipe operationally (43 Sqn RAF, 4 Sqn AFC), you should be in with a shout.

Diamondback
07-08-2013, 15:25
I dunno, a dedicated Russian Civil War reprint set for the Centennial could be cool... what all planes do we have cards for already for it other than Snipes, D.VIIs, Camels and SPAD VII's?

Oberst Hajj
07-08-2013, 15:27
I need at least three more unique Snipes, so I'll most likely do one repaint on them.

alpine
07-08-2013, 17:48
:fokker: This is absolutely wonderful news! Must...buy...multiples...

OldGuy59
07-08-2013, 23:16
SWMBO was not pleased with my purchase of a few of the latest release, and the D.VIIs will not be here soon enough for the OtT campaigns dudes.

I need a second job to pay for my hobby. And my slide into the Dark Side of WGS, and all "those" minis is making a high paying job a must!

Mike :-)

tikkifriend
07-08-2013, 23:30
You are to right Mike The Force is strong. Must go rob a bank or 2 to keep the minis going.

somaliavet
07-08-2013, 23:46
The answer is simple, gentlemen. All Ares has to do is get the release out in early December. I would be happy because I'd be getting planes for Christmas, and SWMBO would be happy because she'd have no problem picking me out a gift. Unfortunately, based on hard experience, I don't think we'll see these till after the new year.

David Manley
07-09-2013, 10:16
I just hope they use the original sculpts (with better pilots) and don't make the "improvements" (sic) that they inflicted on the series 1 reprints.

BobP
07-09-2013, 13:25
Can't wait to see what different paint schemes there are. Thanks for the news.

gully_raker
07-09-2013, 16:24
:thumbsup: Good news indeed!
Definitely need more D.VII's & some more Aussie Snipes.:D

Du doch nicht!
07-09-2013, 16:55
I'm looking forward to see the prototypes! Is there any info availale which paint schemes are getting replaced - and if yes whats the new one?

Oberst Hajj
07-10-2013, 12:44
I'm told we should see some photos of the production mini something in September-ish. I can confirm that for the Fokker D.VIIs, Goering will be the reprint. I can't release what the two new ones will be (so please don't ask), but one of them is going to make us all very happy!

alpine
07-10-2013, 14:04
With an update like that I might just have to dust off the old time machine blueprints and get to work!

However, I am a little upset they chose Goering as the reprint though. Udet is obviously the one that almost EVERYONE needs, but I guess that's just going to make it more rare and expensive.

Oberst Hajj
07-10-2013, 17:16
However, I am a little upset they chose Goering as the reprint though. Udet is obviously the one that almost EVERYONE needs, but I guess that's just going to make it more rare and expensive.

It's the one every repainter needs... it's not the best seller from the original set.

alpine
07-10-2013, 18:19
Yah I figured as a repainting perspective Goering would be the easiest one to go with since its practically a blank canvas.

Oberst Hajj
07-10-2013, 18:25
The problem is that 90% of the D.VIIs had lozenge camo on the wings and a lot also had it on the fuselage. The lozenge decal selection is pretty slim out there, so that makes Goering actually kind of hard to use for repainting. You still have to remove or paint over the crosses on the Goering, so you could almost as easily use either of the other two. But in this reprint, I think Goering is going to be the best one for repainting from.

Diamondback
07-10-2013, 20:25
Sachsenberg and Hippert? Or some of the foreign transfers like Lithuania and Poland?

Or are these going to be previously-uncarded versions? I've added notes on existing cards to the 2013+ Intel thread...

greenalfonzo
07-11-2013, 09:55
Well, I don't need any more of those 2 seaters, so i'll skip those, and i have plenty of Snipes with the original 3 since I never use them (except as stand-ins for the much needed Pup), so i'll skip those as well. I don't repaint, so no extra Goering for me.

That leaves two new D.VII's for me to pick up, which makes me happy for the new schemes *and* happy that I'll be saving a lot of money on this release!

Du doch nicht!
07-13-2013, 10:15
About Udet: I would really miss his plane if I didn't had it already :p

Hmmm... to the other D.VIIs. Lothar would be nice of course and Löwenhardt! I guess its the latter one who gets reprinted.

MoonSylver
07-13-2013, 10:33
I'm assuming Berthold will be one, due to being able to do the whole Jasta just by changing the emblems. ;)

Пилот
07-13-2013, 15:50
Hmm... Herr Oberst's conspiracy makes me think about Udet :)

Jager
07-13-2013, 16:01
As famous as the pilot is, I find his D.VII extremely unattractive.
Karl

BobRoberts
07-13-2013, 21:10
Glad to hear about the series 2 reprint. For those of you who say you never fly your Snipes, all I can say is why not? It's a fantastic plane and when my buddy Rick and I flew a pair of DVII's against a pair of Snipes, the Snipes won 2 of the 3 matches. It's a wonderful plane to fly.

john snelling
07-13-2013, 21:20
It is a great plane.

The first squadron to equip with the new fighter was No. 43 Squadron, based at Fienvillers in France, which replaced its Camels with 15 Snipes on 30 August 1918. After spending much of September training, it flew its first operational patrols equipped with the Snipe on 24 September.

That makes 48 days of operations.

Пилот
07-14-2013, 02:34
As famous as the pilot is, I find his D.VII extremely unattractive.
Karl
I wouldn't comment personal taste, it's - personal :) , but I find Goering's white one very attractive. Also, SWMBO insists on having Udet's red-white one...

Timmo UK
07-27-2013, 13:22
Snipes and DVIIs for me depending on which schemes they go for. I want to get a flight of five Snipes, having missed out the first time around. 43 Squadron RAF would be ideal. I'll only buy more DVIIs if they will be useful for repainting, and I don't consider the all white example to be useful since the wings pretty much need covering in lozenge fabric no matter what you tackle. That isn't easy to do. The Jasta 15 plane was always the best one for repainting. I'd be very happy to see another Jasta 15 plane or Jasta 18 or 40.

Beyond that I never liked the look of the DH4 so I doubt I'd buy them but any late war CIIs would be a definite purchase by me.

What I'm really waiting for though are the Brisfit and the SE5a.

Dwarflord22
07-27-2013, 15:33

Ditto on your comments! Looking forward to adding some new D.VIIs!! :thumbsup::clap:

Diamondback
07-27-2013, 16:03
Available cards for reprint candidates:

Sop. Snipe
Fok. D.VII
AIRCO DH.4
LFG Rol. C. II

SU, unknown
SU, Sapozhnikov
UK, Mulcair
RU, Kozakov

HU, camo
HU, natural
Czech CSL, unknown
GE, Sachsenberg
GE, Hippert
Ukraine, unknown
Lithuania, unknown
PO, Bastyr
SU, unknown

all existing cards printed
GE, Kasta 8
GE, Kosmahl

My guesses about most logical contenders are in bold. We'll probably see two "virgin" DH.4's and a similar Snipe, as I would not expect to see the effort to smother the nascent Red Menace before it grew into a real threat released anytime soon. (Frankly, I'd rather see it as a separate sub-line within WGF than cluttering the regular series--and this from a guy who wants to see every card from the original done as minis, and eventually wants to see complete "official" squadron releases!)

csadn
07-28-2013, 13:11
The first squadron to equip with the new fighter was No. 43 Squadron, based at Fienvillers in France, which replaced its Camels with 15 Snipes on 30 August 1918. After spending much of September training, it flew its first operational patrols equipped with the Snipe on 24 September.

That makes 48 days of operations.

One also has to consider: The Snipe's operational time in WW1 didn't end through any fault of its own -- the War it was supposed to fight was pulled out from under it. Contrast this with the Fokker whose tail assembly kept falling off, forcing its removal to points well inside Germany.

Mike George
07-28-2013, 13:47
I can't wait for them, I didn't get into W of W until after series three.

BobP
07-28-2013, 13:49
I was just looking at the Series 6 planes and I think 2 of them could be a D VII repaint. The same pilot in two different planes.

Timmo UK
08-07-2013, 13:20
Sachsenberg (MFJ), Hippert are on the cards although it has been suggested to me that the MFJ scheme might be beyond Ares budget/capability. Either way, on second thoughts, I think I'll pass on these Fokkers as I have five already, and just go for the Snipes to make a flight up.

I sincerely hope, for everyone's sake that they don't mess the S2 reprints up like they did the S1 reprints.

armstrongjohn1
08-16-2013, 02:08
I'll probably go for some D VIIs and some Rolands

predhead
08-16-2013, 04:28
I will grab one of each. I do have a D.H.4 already, but none of the others and having one of each series is a goal.

LingSter
08-16-2013, 10:43
I will pick up only the planes that are not direct reprints. I only need one of each plane's color schemes. I used to pick up miltiples to paint to make "new" planes, but kinda don't have time to repaint things like I'd want anymore. Besides, having one of each color/pilot is enough and expensive. PLUS I don't get to play as much as I'd like. Heck, I bought the bombers a while back... and still have not played them....

Timmo UK
08-18-2013, 14:08
I was thinking about this today and if I were ARES I'd break the sequence keeping the DVII and the Snipe but dropping the two seaters that I don't think will be great sellers for them. In their place I'd put the SE5a and some really colourful Albatros DIIIs including Von Richthofen's. The latter is perhaps a cliché but it has strong sales potential and is a dream paint scheme for the repainter.

I think I'd put these two seater into the realm of limited edition run, just one or perhaps two colour schemes for each no more.

Oberst Hajj
08-18-2013, 14:38
Initially Ares is going to produce the two-stears on a 1 to 1 basis with the two scouts. This is because they are reusing the old Nexus molds. They do have plans on making separate molds for the D.VII and Snipe, but do not know when this will be.

So, I predict we will see the same issue of the two scouts selling out rather quick with a long delay before they are reprinted. Thankfully, the delay should not be nearly as long as this last one!

Carl_Brisgamer
08-18-2013, 15:33
I was thinking about this today and if I were ARES I'd break the sequence keeping the DVII and the Snipe but dropping the two seaters that I don't think will be great sellers for them. In their place I'd put the SE5a and some really colourful Albatros DIIIs including Von Richthofen's. The latter is perhaps a cliché but it has strong sales potential and is a dream paint scheme for the repainter.

I think I'd put these two seater into the realm of limited edition run, just one or perhaps two colour schemes for each no more.

I don't know Tim, I recall how much player interest increased when two seaters were originally introduced to the game. It added new dimensions allowing for a variety of mission types. One can only fly around and around dogfighting for so long before you get a hankering to play something a little different.

Carl_Brisgamer
08-18-2013, 15:42
:thumbsup: Good news indeed!
Definitely need more D.VII's & some more Aussie Snipes.:D

Yes Barry, it would be good to get another two 4 AFC Snipes with different identification numbers/letters, then you could fly a flight of four with no repainting necessary!

Oberst Hajj
08-18-2013, 15:49
I don't know Tim, I recall how much player interest increased when two seaters were originally introduced to the game. It added new dimensions allowing for a variety of mission types. One can only fly around and around dogfighting for so long before you get a hankering to play something a little different.

I agree. While they did not sale as fast as the scouts, they added a lot to the game. I think there are enough new players to make reprinting them worthwhile. I's like to see them to an extra large reprint of Series 2 so that the scouts last a while and the two-seaters hang around for a long time. Then they could break Series 3 apart and only produce the scouts, or produce the two-seaters from that series in a much smaller number ratio. That way we get two-seaters back into the game for the new players, but don't hold up the availability of the scouts because of them.

john snelling
08-18-2013, 16:06
I sold off all my spare 2 seaters to the new players. They seem to be hard to get. I'm looking look forward to getting some new paint schemes to fly around.

calm
08-18-2013, 16:14
I would like to get some two seaters, too.

Dom S
08-18-2013, 16:21
I think splitting the 2-seaters out would be the way forward - a release of 4 scouts, and then of 4 two-seaters. That way you wouldn't get the persistent availability "droughts" of the Nexus era. If the business model is still all 4 are cast in one mould, you *really* want to make sure the 4 produced together will sell at a similar rate. (Of course if that's no longer the case it's less of an issue; just produce more scouts than 2-seaters, but the key is that the 4 models in a series should sell out at roughly the same time as each other - they won't reprint until all are gone, so you don't want, oh let's say D.VIIs that sell out in 3 months, but aren't even considered for a reprint a year later, as the Roland C.II is still available....)

greenalfonzo
08-18-2013, 18:07
This is going to be one of the toughest things about the next series. By keeping the old molds, we are going to have some serious peg warmers clogging up the system. Not only are the 2 seaters less sexy, but they are also quite a bit more expensive. The fact that they have not been available for so long will help off set that in this series, it will be really noticeable in future ones. Less desirable + more expensive = Bad News For Everyone. This is one of the reasons Ares spending a lot of money on those *lousy* new Series 1 reprint molds (with the slab wings) was such a disaster. If they had money for a new mold, they should have gone with one of the later 2 scout/2 two crew series molds.

The other thing you may not remember is that the Snipe was a lousy seller as well. Much much less popular than the D.VII. Repetitive schemes, extremely late war, it's biggest fans are the power players, as it is about the best allied plane available.

In other words, don't wait around on those D.VIIs!

Oberst Hajj
08-18-2013, 18:40
The eventual plan is to have single mold for each plane type. It's just going to take time for them to reach that point.

Mike George
08-18-2013, 18:42
Can't wait.

MoonSylver
08-18-2013, 18:44

I've been waiting on 2-seaters with great anticipation. They do open up the possibilities when you have them, & conversely, you feel much more constrained when you don't. I had to build my own in desperation just so I could participate at the level I wanted, but I still want the "official" ones. So bring them 2-seaters on IMO. :thumbsup:

greenalfonzo
08-18-2013, 20:16
The eventual plan is to have single mold for each plane type. It's just going to take time for them to reach that point.

Have they started yet? Were the Series 5 & 6 planes done as individual molds?

David Manley
08-18-2013, 22:47

I would go further and suggest that the inclusion of a selection of 2 seaters is pretty much essential. I am playing with or have played with several WoW/woG groups and in all cases the level of enjoyment and interest has increased considerably when 2 seaters and bombers have been introduced. As one player said, after several fun (but eventually quite repetitive) fighter-on-fighter games "now we can move onto something more interesting". I think if I'd only been able to offer a dogfighting game the interest levels would have dropped off and Wings would be another one of those games regarded as "half done", consigned to the cupboard and got out occasionally when players had forgotten their dissatisfaction in previous games. I would hate new players and groups to be stuck in that situation. I suppose Shapeways, Riviresco and Red Eagle could fill the void but I they fall way short on the instant accessibility aspect of the game. And so, IMHO, I'd suggest that the 2 seaters are actually the key to the real longevity of and continued enjoyment of the game and I would suggest that at least a selection are included in the release schedule of the not-too-distant future.

Diamondback
08-18-2013, 22:48
Given that Series 7 is a mix of singles and tandems, and there's three pairs of tandems currently out there... they'd have to break Series 7 up even before the reprint.

Something like for future runs after Series 7...
-Scouts 3B and 4B
-Series 8
-Tandems 3B and 4B
-Series 9
-Series 5B
-Series 10
Which goes back to the "how many sets do we have left" question, where does it flop-over to all reprints other than the Specials? Ultimately I'd see Series 2/3 and 4/7 components being paired by type... IF it happened. The structure of WGF-7 and WGS-4 seem to indicate some inclination to "stick with what they know"...

Burt
08-18-2013, 23:39
There has to be a good range for new players that have missed out on earlier releases. I probably will not buy many of the reprints as I have plenty of two seaters already and the Snipes I have are so under used I converted one to RCW, but if they bring out some tempting new colour schemes who knows.

Lt. S.Kafloc
08-19-2013, 04:06
It would be nice to have some different 2 seaters. It would also be nice to have perhaps a 6 run of planes, 4 scouts and 2 2 seaters. Hopefully keeping them from the same rough period. It would also be nice to be able to buy blanks, ie unpainted aircraft. I don't know how practicable that would be though.

Carl_Brisgamer
08-19-2013, 04:29
It would also be nice to be able to buy blanks, ie unpainted aircraft. I don't know how practicable that would be though.

Ares won't do that, they provide a premium product at a premium price. There are plenty of other sources for unpainted aircraft, but none comparable to their pre-painted 1/144 WGF and 1/200 WGS lines.

Pseudotheist
09-21-2013, 20:13
Andrea spoiled the D.VIIs in another thread:

Sachsenberg, Stark, Goering.

http://www.modelingmadness.com/review/w1/ger/cleaverrd7c.jpg

http://www.wwiaviation.com/drawings/Fokker-DVII-Jasta35b-Ltn_Rudolph_Stark-sn4523-18-600px.png

greenalfonzo
09-21-2013, 20:42
Funny, he once said that Sachsenberg wasn't possible due to their manufacturing techniques. Guess that has changed.

David Manley
09-21-2013, 23:50
Yes, I remember that too. Very glad to see that it is no longer the case :)

Diamondback
09-21-2013, 23:53
*groan* Why did it HAVE to be Fat Bastard for the carryover? :P

Timmo UK
09-22-2013, 00:01

Agreed, I'm very disappointed with that choice, I'd have gone for another Jasta 15 Red/Blue machine with a different marking from Schaffer. That would have been a fourth J15 plane. The white plane, in spite of what some think, is not a good machine for repainting due to the difficultly of painting and decaling the top under wing surface with lozenge fabric.

Stark is a perfect model for them. Pretty coloured nose, tail and wing stripes that they've not done before with the cute Li on the band. I can only hope they mess-up the wing markings and leave the stripes off, as they did with Voss. This would make it a better machine for repainting although even if they get it right, the top wing surfaces could still be recovered with lozenge decal. This would make a route to get Jasta 40 or 18 amongst others, albeit an expensive option.

David Manley
09-22-2013, 01:02
I'd have gone with anything with lozzie on the wings. Makes repaints easier not having to worry about sorting that out

Jager
09-22-2013, 01:56

As stated before, based on the best sell out last time. :p
Karl

Flying Helmut
09-22-2013, 03:36
I've not been into WOW for long enough to have worked out specific preferences; I'll just be happy to have the opportunity to acquire some DVIIs at retail price, intead of "rare" mark-up!

Rabbit 3
09-22-2013, 04:00
As stated before, based on the best sell out last time. :p
Karl
In that case though wasn`t it due to how easy it was supposed to repaint, frankly I`d rather have had a Udet but I`ll probably by all the new D.VII`s anyway.
I missed out on the Nexus release and have instead bought up multiple copies of `Top Fighters` to get the L decks for my non official Skytrex/Red Eagle D.VII`s.
Of course one of them HAD to end up a Sachsenberg!

Antabires
09-22-2013, 06:35
So we are in september..how much longer we have to wait for series 2...i simply want them now :sick:

Jager
09-22-2013, 09:35
So we are in september..how much longer we have to wait for series 2...i simply want them now :sick:

My guess, next summer.
Karl

Flying Officer Kyte
09-22-2013, 12:00
My guess, next summer.
Karl

I'm more of an optimist Karl. I will go with March. Just in time for my birthday.;)
Rob.

Jager
09-22-2013, 12:05
I'm more of an optimist Karl. I will go with March. Just in time for my birthday.;)
Rob.

Split the difference and make it May Day.
Karl

Oberst Hajj
09-22-2013, 18:41

Because it sold the best each time they printed them under Nexus.... for whatever reasons.

Funny, he once said that Sachsenberg wasn't possible due to their manufacturing techniques. Guess that has changed.

Yep, they picked up their game quite a bit.

James Denberger
09-22-2013, 19:00

LOL because you waited so long to buy one, and complained so long until you did get one, it was tops on Ares list to get you quiet! :p

James

James Denberger
09-22-2013, 19:02
Yes, They are coming out so fast now, I'm having trouble keeping up with the purchases! :clap:

Angiolillo
09-22-2013, 20:09

Yes, I have been pleasantly surprised by this change.

Diamondback
09-22-2013, 21:34
LOL because you waited so long to buy one, and complained so long until you did get one, it was tops on Ares list to get you quiet! :p
AFTER I hocked a kidney... LOL

Boney10
09-23-2013, 03:42

http://www.wwiaviation.com/drawings/Fokker-DVII-Jasta35b-Ltn_Rudolph_Stark-sn4523-18-600px.png

But I already done these two ( mumble, mumble, mither, moan ) I want others ( he says stamping foot and crossing arms)

Of well I suppose I can repaint a few Gorings on principle

Jager
09-23-2013, 12:40
AFTER I hocked a kidney... LOL

Ah, you weren't using that one anyway ;)
Karl

greenalfonzo
09-23-2013, 19:11
Yes, I have been pleasantly surprised by this change.

Aren't we all now! :)

Captain Chum
09-25-2013, 06:24
Since I started late I have managed to pick up the two seaters. I think they are very cool for this series. The plane that has eluded me is Gorings plane. I plan on buying some extra copies of this one just to have around. The other Fokkers look great too.

Also looking forward to the snipes as I do not have any of those.

john snelling
09-25-2013, 09:14
Since I started late I have managed to pick up the two seaters. I think they are very cool for this series. The plane that has eluded me is Gorings plane. I plan on buying some extra copies of this one just to have around. The other Fokkers look great too.

Also looking forward to the snipes as I do not have any of those.

It is kinda hard catching up (just like WAS). Atleast you with the system now in place you will have the type of aircraft you are missing. But trying to get the specific aircraft you are missing seems to get harder all the time. Good Luck!!

milcoll73
09-25-2013, 16:35

WOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! ITS ABOUT TIME!!!!!!!!! :-) :clap::drinks::pint::sick::thumbsup::D;):):p:salute::medal::singin::thankyou::minis::guns::please::fokker::envy::money::pray::pray::hatsoff::dazed::drunk::drunk:

Biggles downunder
09-25-2013, 18:02

I knew I should have hurried up and finished my Shapeways Stark!!!

grumpybear
09-25-2013, 18:14
I knew I should have hurried up and finished my Shapeways Stark!!!

I do like those two birds, gotta have:thumbsup:

redcoon2
09-25-2013, 21:44
Realize it is early a.m. of 26th day of September...seems time is rapidly moving toward year's end and despite much entertaining exchange of ideas and views of who and what will be produced we still have no listing of the actual 12 selections targeted for December availability. Any movement toward clarity?

Angiolillo
09-25-2013, 21:58
Final decisions and official news are left to Ares Games...

Diamondback
09-25-2013, 22:12
Realize it is early a.m. of 26th day of September...seems time is rapidly moving toward year's end and despite much entertaining exchange of ideas and views of who and what will be produced we still have no listing of the actual 12 selections targeted for December availability. Any movement toward clarity?
[voice=Mr. Miyagi]"Patience, Grasshopper..." :P :)
Per Keith, the three D.VII's are Goering (reprint), Sachsenberg and Stark ("pretty in pink," to stroke the ladies of the game? LOL), so that's 1/4 of Series 2-B. My gut is Barker for the reprint Snipe since he's the biggest name despite also being on a reprint Camel, probably a 50/50 on Atkey or Cadbury & Leckie for the reprint DH.4, and while Richthofen is the bigger name I'm HOPING for Seibert & Pfleger on the reprint Roland, since their "scales and whalemouth" was a very common decorative motif among "Walfisch" pilots--some of whom even had "pilot fish" attached to the struts.

Oberst Hajj
09-26-2013, 05:47

Thomas, the D.VIIs are confirmed, the rest I would expect to here in the next couple of weeks.

somaliavet
09-26-2013, 06:10
As for a D.H. 4 scheme, I think RNAS N6000 would be a good choice, even if I have already have it! :thumbsup:

Angiolillo
09-26-2013, 12:11
It is among the ones being considered. ;)

itchy
09-26-2013, 12:44
Great news I dont have any of the DV11's

Timmo UK
09-26-2013, 13:04
It would have been truly wonderful if Ares had decided to do Goring in one of his other DVIIs. Osprey detail one that is all red forward of the back edge of the cockpit, all white behind the cockpit including tail and rudder and all lozenge wings. That would have been a great choice. So, so good for the repainters but a distinctive, pretty scheme for an infamous pilot. In my scoring system that I've noted elsewhere it would have been an A, B, C model.

From this scheme Jasta 15 and 18 would have been a doddle as would so, so many others. A great shame and a model that would net even higher sales, I think, than the straight reprint of the all white one.

Xen
09-27-2013, 06:10
My guess on the rolands would be the Luftreitskrafte roland, with the pink camo stripes... Lots of presence on the table. I doubt MVR will be the reprint as it has no rear gunner.

DH4's could be any one... no idea there!

Oberst Hajj
09-27-2013, 06:48
The current list of carryovers is:

Fokker D.VII = Goering
Sopwith Snipe = Barker
Roland C.II = Von Richthofen
Roland C.II = Luftstreitkräfte (can only assume this is a carryover, might be a different plane from that group)
AIRCO D.H. 4 = American Expeditionary Force

Xen
09-27-2013, 07:09
Richtofen????? and the AEF! wow. I would never have chosen those!

Oberst Hajj
09-27-2013, 07:23
MvR makes since because of who he is and they are keeping/making more of his planes. I think we will be able to fly him from start to finish in each type he flew before the game is done.

The AEF is the A/A damage one correct? Makes sense more people bought that one. Also, while it might not be the most typical plane of the type, I personally think it was the best looking paint job wise. Both of these things would lead to it out selling the other two in the initial printing... which is the sole selection criteria for Ares when they select the carryover plane.

Jager
09-27-2013, 09:16
The AEF is the A/A damage one correct? Makes sense more people bought that one. Also, while it might not be the most typical plane of the type, I personally think it was the best looking paint job wise. Both of these things would lead to it out selling the other two in the initial printing... which is the sole selection criteria for Ares when they select the carryover plane.

I guess I helped out with this :o
Karl

MoonSylver
09-27-2013, 09:25
MvR makes since because of who he is and they are keeping/making more of his planes. I think we will be able to fly him from start to finish in each type he flew before the game is done.

That would be incredibly cool IMO. :thumbsup:

David Manley
09-27-2013, 09:28
The AEF is the A/A damage one correct?

Yup, the Munchkin Machine :D

Captain Chum
09-27-2013, 09:51

I agree.

Timmo UK
09-27-2013, 09:55

Indeed it would. I certainly look forward to buying six of him in his Albatross DIII so I can do Jasta 11. Then I might buy him again in the DVa.

Lt. S.Kafloc
09-27-2013, 15:16
Goering will be good for re-paints that I fancy doing. Snipes I have enough. Would fancy some more Rolands, probably the Luftstreitkräfte. The DH4, might just to have a go at the float plane variant. Otherwise I have 3.

Pseudotheist
09-27-2013, 17:12
Both of these things would lead to it out selling the other two in the initial printing... which is the sole selection criteria for Ares when they select the carryover plane.
Funny, I could've sworn the MvR Roland was the poorest seller, since it only had the rear gun...

Oberst Hajj
09-27-2013, 18:17
Funny, I could've sworn the MvR Roland was the poorest seller, since it only had the rear gun...

It could have been, but it's an MvR plane and I think those are always going to get repainted. Ares' goal for paint schemes are famous aces and colorful paint jobs. Both of those are some what lacking in the two-seater department. So when they have a big name like MvR in one, you can bet it is going to stick around.

Jager
09-28-2013, 03:21
Besides; if you take 3-4 -/B Rolands with bombs, and 1-2 B/B Rolands as escorts, you have a historical bombing raid for 1916.
Karl

john snelling
09-28-2013, 04:09
Why carry over aircraft? I can understand the need for some of them (MVR and Goering) but not all of them the DH4 AEF.

Angiolillo
09-28-2013, 04:14
Dh4 could be an exception, they could be all new.

john snelling
09-28-2013, 18:23
Thanks Angiolillo for the information.

Flying Officer Kyte
09-28-2013, 23:42

That would make sense, as the new punters would buy them anyway and it might draw in some of the oldsters like me to get the new schemes wheras we would not need any more of the same.
Rob.

David Manley
09-28-2013, 23:55
That would make sense, as the new punters would buy them anyway and it might draw in some of the oldsters like me to get the new schemes wheras we would not need any more of the same.
Rob.

Indeed it would. Of the reprints I have bought all the new schemes. I expect that trend (at least for the types I'm interested in) to continue :)

MoonSylver
09-29-2013, 16:49

I agree.

Indeed it would. I certainly look forward to buying six of him in his Albatross DIII so I can do Jasta 11. Then I might buy him again in the DVa.

One of the many things I'd like to do some day is run a campaign of all historical aces, starting as rookies & advancing through the course of the war & see who survives, who doesn't, & which ones become the top aces &/or how close they match up to real life. :)

Boney10
10-20-2013, 10:12
As a matter of interest, have we got a date for the release yet?
It was later this year, but are we likely to see before Xmas or now is it the New Year?

HTRAINo
10-23-2013, 15:42
*Waiting keenly for a response to this very valid question*

Wouldn't mind one or two from this release.

Oberst Hajj
10-23-2013, 16:16
Looking like the first of next year.

armstrongjohn1
10-23-2013, 23:16
Looking like the first of next year.

Is that in the U.S. or will they be available in the U.K. then too.

Jager
10-24-2013, 03:32

Track when the WGS Series 5s hit the UK; the US release was this week, so the delay should be the same.
Karl

Dom S
10-24-2013, 05:56
It doesn't work that smoothly though - most releases since Ares took over have taken well over a month to appear in the UK after their US release, but some have been quicker, with the most recent (the WGF SSW D.IIIs, Sopwith Triplanes etc.) only being a week or two. It remains to be seen whether that means they've actually closed the gap in general, though, or whether it was a one-off blip due to hold-ups with the US shipment last time out. It'll be interesting to see how long WGS series 5 does take, but past experience is that there's not enough consistency in the difference between UK and US release dates to draw much of a conclusion from past releases.

Oberst Hajj
10-24-2013, 06:03

If you are supporting local retailers in the UK, as Dom says, anything from 2 weeks to 2 months. If you order them from my AA site, they arrive at your airfield about 10 days after I get my hands on them here in the US.

Dom S
10-24-2013, 06:04
Which explains why UK retailers struggle to be terribly enthused about the line these days....

Flying Officer Kyte
10-24-2013, 06:38
Which explains why UK retailers struggle to be terribly enthused about the line these days....

As a retailer of WWI models Dom, do you think that the dealers in the U.K. are really influenced by the few members on site who purchase direct from AA. If this is so it must mean that there are few other collectors out there in the U.K. I know several members of the Drome who buy in the U.K. for a variety of reasons such as cost of imports, loyalty to a local games store etc. I have never had this problem, because I have no local store anymore. I buy the initial set to support AA as the Oberst has given us the Drome. Any repaints as you know, I get from you for WWI as long as you have what I want, then I shop around, usually starting with Staffordshire Games,who seem to have a comprehensive range long after the other sellers run out. Then I go back to AA if I can't do anything else.
To risk not getting the planes I need because of doubtful supplies reaching these shores is not an option. I did that with the DVIIs and still require three or four for completing my Jastas, and so I do not place all my eggs in one basket anymore.
If a few gamers from this site doing that sort of thing, is enough to threaten the stockists in the U.K. then we are in a really parlous state re the game over here. All the more reason to keep our American supply lines open.
What do you think about the situation? Have I made any crass mistake in my reasoning here Dom, or are the U.K. suppliers really likely to respond to a few more dozen sales being generated?
Rob.

Oberst Hajj
10-24-2013, 06:44

The woes of a global market :( The internet has opened us up to a lot of customers we would never have other wise, but it also means those same customers have other options. I know I've found several things in the UK that I'd love to get, but the prices and shipping time tend to put me off.

Dom S
10-24-2013, 07:19
Indeed - the global market is simultaneously boon and curse, but the fact is that Ares distribution system has handed a significant and persistent competitive advantage to US dealers, especially where the initial "rush" for a new release is concerned. Such is life....

Dom.

PS - Rob, lengthier reply PMed - I don't want to derail this thread any further. ;)

Flying Officer Kyte
10-24-2013, 07:23
PS - Rob, lengthier reply PMed - I don't want to derail this thread any further. ;)

Thanks Dom.
Rob.

Dom S
10-24-2013, 07:50
PPS - Just to change the tone - hooray for the fact that this series is actually coming though - must admit I'd have loved to see a "plain" lozenge wing on one of them (like the old Schafer) for repaint friendliness, but whatever the issues, the fact that we have D.VIIs actually in the pipeline now (not to mention that we'll have two-seaters readily available for the first time in a while) is cause for massive levels of happy happy joy joy celelbration - bring them on. :D

Oberst Hajj
10-24-2013, 12:00
PPS - Just to change the tone - hooray for the fact that this series is actually coming though - must admit I'd have loved to see a "plain" lozenge wing on one of them (like the old Schafer) for repaint friendliness,

I'm actually pushing this with them very hard, but I'm afraid my level of influence did not rise fast enough for this reprint :( We might still see it on other projects they are looking at doing though.

Doug
10-24-2013, 14:34
Got to admit I am looking forward to the 2 seater's than the fighters.

David Manley
10-24-2013, 14:37
I'm actually pushing this with them very hard, but I'm afraid my level of influence did not rise fast enough for this reprint :( We might still see it on other projects they are looking at doing though.

"People Power" killed off the Kissenberth Camel - perhaps in future if more of us made our voices felt about other potential choices it would have an effect?

Angiolillo
10-24-2013, 14:57
I'll try to be short.
As soon as stuff is ready at the factory in Asia, it is shipped by two different ships to USA and to Europe.
The two routes are different, so a different random time has to be added for different weather. And for US customs and internal US distribution on one side, Italian customs and internal European distribution on the other one. So time to the shelf can differ from country to country, and can differ quite a lot between USA and each European country.
Anyway, already without random elements you must notice that ships take different times from Asia to USA and to Europe. I do not know where the factory is - I only know that it is in China. Let's take the port of Tianjin as a reference, it's the nearest to Peking. From there to USA is less than 5.600 miles, about 23,4 days of sailing (according to this site). From there to Leghorn/Livorno is more than 9.000 miles, 38 days of sailing. Then stuff bounces to other countries... The advantage is first of all in geography, not in Ares' will.

David Manley
10-24-2013, 15:00
Thats an interesting and very useful development. Recent comms with Ares had suggested that everything went to the US and was then sent from there to Europe. If they are now distributing to the old world as well that should help with price disparity between the US and Europe?

Angiolillo
10-24-2013, 15:03
Well I do not know, maybe it's me being not as updated as you. This was as it worked some times ago, if now all goes to US in the first place then I have not the freshest news.

Dom S
10-24-2013, 15:45
Recent comms with Ares had suggested that everything went to the US and was then sent from there to Europe.
Odd - while that certainly happened back in the Nexus days, I didn't think Ares worked that way - indeed experience with the last release (which hit the UK not much more than a week after the US iirc) would definitely suggest separate shipments - I seem to recall there was a customs hold up of some sort on the US shipment, but there wasn't a corresponding additional delay for European stocks, just the usual one....

Andrea, I take your point but many firms can and do arrange global release dates through staggered shipment times, or warehousing stock until it reaches all distributors (even within our hobby.) Ares choose to go for the simpler option and simply put items on sale as and when they arrive; fair enough, that's their decision, which people will respond to as seems smartest for them.

Dom.

wargamer
10-24-2013, 15:47
Oh now I really miss living at Campo Darby.

Flying Officer Kyte
10-25-2013, 01:21
At least we now have a few possible reasons for the disparity in delay time which may not obvious to new members who did not follow the discussion through the early days.
Thanks for your input both Andrea and Dom.
Rob.

Oberst Hajj
10-25-2013, 08:11
"People Power" killed off the Kissenberth Camel - perhaps in future if more of us made our voices felt about other potential choices it would have an effect?

Yes, that certainly helps. But the biggest problem with that is it is so far into the development process that it is next to impossible to change. Even with the Kissenberth Camel, we as a group did not get it changed, we just got it dropped and replace by the former paint scheme. My goal is to take the daily input on this site and communicate it to Ares while still in the design phase. This would allow us/me to steer them to giving us an all new scheme that works for everyone on at least one level. Ares has just started sharing their forecast of Series (out 3 series or more). They have also started sending me the color workup sheets for the Sails of Glory ships. So I'm hoping this will be the case for future planes when they get to that stage.

Thats an interesting and very useful development. Recent comms with Ares had suggested that everything went to the US and was then sent from there to Europe. If they are now distributing to the old world as well that should help with price disparity between the US and Europe?

Ares did say for the SGN KS project that everything would be shipped to the US, but I don't know what the current SOP is for their standard product lines. I'll have to check.

john snelling
10-25-2013, 09:42

I do not want to talk about politics here or anywhere else since it it such a touchy subject. Without any politics why is there a price disparity? The MSRP to a single seater here is $13.90 what is it in UK. UK has a VAT of 20%, US local tax here is around 5%, so you will always pay more for everything taxable. Some places offer them for $10.00 which cuts into their profit margin. Could a place in UK afford to match that price?

itchy
10-25-2013, 10:07
I have stopped ordering from the states now ,my last three orders have been hit with vat and import duties and a handling charge which in two orders were actually higher than the original order , my local store now only gets wog stuff to order but he does very good discounts so I will have to wait till he gets my orders in for me ..

David Manley
10-25-2013, 10:32
So far when I've been buying from the US its usually been at a rate of about $9 a plane or even less, so that bears out Dom's comments regarding bigger discounts available.

Oberst Hajj
10-25-2013, 11:49
My local game store barely stocks either of the games as well. He might order 2 of each new mini... maybe. The rest all have to be special ordered. And that's not because of me, I only have 2 customers in a 50 mile radius of me. The games just don't get played at the stores around here so that means they don't stock them. X Wing also took a bit chunk out of the aerial combat market here. While vastly different, they fill the same general gaming needs and most gaming geeks are also Star Wars geeks. Sort of a no brainer there for them :(

john snelling
10-25-2013, 12:04
I have stopped ordering from the states now ,my last three orders have been hit with vat and import duties and a handling charge which in two orders were actually higher than the original order , my local store now only gets wog stuff to order but he does very good discounts so I will have to wait till he gets my orders in for me ..

Thanks, how much are import duties? Is it due on averything from overseas or just non-european items?

Dom S
10-25-2013, 12:25
20% VAT (which is also charged on most domestic purchases) on any parcel worth more than £15, plus an £8 handling charge from the Royal Mail for the pleasure of collecting it. Very large orders may get actual import duty too, but that doesn't kick in until the parcel's worth more than £135 (actually in our case £191, as it's waived if the duty charged would be less than £9), and the rate is only 4.7% tops, and may be 0% depending exactly how it gets categorised.

(There's no customs tariff category that fits perfectly for Wings Of Glory models, the closest being diecast models at 4.7% and model kits at 0% - really as finished models the former is the best "fit" (and the "other toys" category that really catches them is also 4.7% anyway) but I've known parcels come through at 0% sometimes anyway - it's pot luck really, but as I said, even at the 4.7% rate it will only be charged on a parcel worth over £191 anyway, so usually it's just VAT to consider.)

These charges only apply on goods coming from outside of the EU - if they're coming from another EU country, the price already includes VAT where appropriate, and import duty doesn't apply, since the EU's a free trade area.

Dom.

PS - It's worth bearing in mind that VAT etc. is charged on the shipping as well as the actual cost of the goods, but the £15 and under exemption from VAT is just the goods. (So a £14.99 order with £10 shipping is no charge, but a £15.01 order with £10 shipping will be charged VAT on £25.01, plus £8 to the Royal Mail.) This means small to middling orders are often a bad idea, but bigger ones are more economical, particularly where the handling charge is concerned.

HTRAINo
10-25-2013, 13:16
I've never paid VAT on any orders from overseas (thankfully).

I am looking forward to starting the New Year with a Fokker DVII and maybe one or two of the others, paint job depending. :thumbsup:

Edited; removed bad advice.

David Manley
10-25-2013, 13:34
It is a pain, but it pays my wages so please carry on ;)

HTRAINo
10-25-2013, 13:45
Edited the offending post. Sorry chaps.

Dom S
10-25-2013, 13:51
No worries - deleted my reply as a bit superfluous now.... ;)

john snelling
10-25-2013, 14:25
Dom and David, thanks for your replies. It clears up some thought I had but, that all depends on how it gets categorised. I used to buy alot of hobby items from UK years ago now I do not because of the prices.

Flying Helmut
10-25-2013, 14:38
I have bought a dozen or so items from the USA this year, and haven't been charged import duty on any of them.
When I buy from Canada, I always seem to get hit for import duty, and four or five times on items from the USA over the last few years, but I have NEVER been charged on imports from the Far East.
There is even a chap in Taiwan, who I have ordered from on ebay on at least five occasions, who sends model kits to me Free Postage, and I have had no surcharges added! (bet I've stuffed that up, now!)
I think it is just pot luck as to whether import duty is assigned.
T.T.F.N.
Tim

john snelling
10-25-2013, 16:24
I have bought a dozen or so items from the USA this year, and haven't been charged import duty on any of them.
When I buy from Canada, I always seem to get hit for import duty, and four or five times on items from the USA over the last few years, but I have NEVER been charged on imports from the Far East.
There is even a chap in Taiwan, who I have ordered from on ebay on at least five occasions, who sends model kits to me Free Postage, and I have had no surcharges added! (bet I've stuffed that up, now!)
I think it is just pot luck as to whether import duty is assigned.
T.T.F.N.

Tim

Wow, so you could buy the same product for the same price from Canada and US and pay two different prices for it when it gets to your door? Simply amazing.

Flying Helmut
10-25-2013, 17:04
Wow, so you could buy the same product for the same price from Canada and US and pay two different prices for it when it gets to your door? Simply amazing.

Yup; even worse, I have to travel to the parcel office the next day to pay the extra duty and handling fee on the Canada parcel, before they hand it over to me, whereas the USA one would be waiting on my doormat when I got home.
T.T.F.N.
Tim

PFactorDave
10-29-2013, 08:49
I was wondering if there has been any more recent news of when these reprints might be hitting the store shelves? November 1st is right around the corner. Seems like we have had quite a bit of lead time to make pre-orders in the past... Are we still likely to get these reprints by the end of the year, hopefully by Christmas?

Nothing is listed, that I can find, on the Ares site.

Oberst Hajj
10-29-2013, 09:39
these are not going to make it before Christmas. First part of next year now.

HTRAINo
10-29-2013, 09:45
Hopefully, some pics of them will be released soon.

Then, I can salivate over which I'm interested in. ;)

PFactorDave
10-29-2013, 09:54
these are not going to make it before Christmas. First part of next year now.

I figured as much. Too bad... I was hoping to buy myself a Christmas present. ;)

jbmacek
10-29-2013, 09:55
My local game store barely stocks either of the games as well. He might order 2 of each new mini... maybe.

The LGS we play our Monday night games at keep quite a large selection in stock, but I guess that shouldn't be surprising. The next closest, about 10 minutes further away, carries almost as much, and more now that they've moved into a larger store.

X Wing also took a bit chunk out of the aerial combat market here.
We used to have a group of about six X-Wingers showing up at the game store on our Wings of War nights, but they haven't been there for three or four months now, and the last time they were there they weren't even playing X-Wing. That being said, I guess a couple of the other stores in the area could see a larger X-Wing crowd.

Of the three or four other stores in my area, I don't think any of them stock WoW/G. They mostly stock 40K and Flames of War (I think that's the name, a 15mm WWII minis game).

Wait, I take that back. Dream Wizards in Rockville has carried the line, at least when it was WoW. I suppose they still do. And, since some of the guys who live closer to Dream Wizards are discussing a monthly evening of WoW/G there, I wouldn't be surprised if they ramp supplies up a bit.

Oberst Hajj
10-29-2013, 10:18
I figured as much. Too bad... I was hoping to buy myself a Christmas present. ;)

I am expecting them pretty shortly after the 1st of the year though. And along those lines, I'm trying to work out how to add Gift Certificates to the AA site. That should allow you guys to ask friends and family for Wings/AA stuff without them having to know exactly what to get you guys!

The LGS we play our Monday night games at keep quite a large selection in stock, but I guess that shouldn't be surprising. The next closest, about 10 minutes further away, carries almost as much, and more now that they've moved into a larger store.

We used to have a group of about six X-Wingers showing up at the game store on our Wings of War nights, but they haven't been there for three or four months now, and the last time they were there they weren't even playing X-Wing. That being said, I guess a couple of the other stores in the area could see a larger X-Wing crowd.

Of the three or four other stores in my area, I don't think any of them stock WoW/G. They mostly stock 40K and Flames of War (I think that's the name, a 15mm WWII minis game).

Wait, I take that back. Dream Wizards in Rockville has carried the line, at least when it was WoW. I suppose they still do. And, since some of the guys who live closer to Dream Wizards are discussing a monthly evening of WoW/G there, I wouldn't be surprised if they ramp supplies up a bit.

I don't think Wings gets played a my local store unless I host a game there and get the guys to come out. They have probably 20-30 X Wing players though... most of them used to be the core Wings players :(

PFactorDave
10-29-2013, 10:24
There's actually a new game shop set to open this Friday here in my town. I've been exchanging e-mails with the owner, talking about me doing some demo games of WoG sometime in the future. Hoping to get him to carry the game. Right now, he seems mostly focused on games like Heroclix and the Magic card game.

I'm trying to talk him into stocking some of the Duel Packs at first, since they are good starter sets for new players.

I'm really hoping to develop a bit of a WoG community here.

HTRAINo
10-29-2013, 10:30
Gift vouchers are a good move Keith. Given that the releases last year fell about a similar time.
Good luck David, raising awareness of the ultimate game ;)

Hunter
11-03-2013, 18:53
I'll sure be happy win the reprint finally is released! Can't wait.

CaudronMahout
11-08-2013, 22:00
Nice. All I have is Goering's all white D VII, so I will definitely be watching for this release… plus I could expand on my pair of USMC DH 4s while I'm at it just to keep the D VII's entertained...;)

Пилот
12-02-2013, 03:28
And I hope I'll get reprinted Goering :)

john snelling
12-02-2013, 06:29
Does anyone have an updated release date?

Mad Charly
12-02-2013, 08:22
Do you have some news about date of release and about the camouflages of planes?
Many Thanks Carlo

Angiolillo
12-02-2013, 09:42
Not yet, sorry.
Goering will be reprinted for sure.

Oberst Hajj
12-02-2013, 13:11
Do you have some news about date of release and about the camouflages of planes?
Many Thanks Carlo

Nothing I can release yet besides the ones at are being reprinted (state else where in this thread).

Mad Charly
01-13-2014, 15:15
No more information about exit timing?
Many Thanks
Carlo

Oberst Hajj
01-14-2014, 08:07
Nothing besides sometime after this next Series due out in Feb.

P-51D
01-14-2014, 15:39
Disclaimer: Opinion Piece - Purely Speculative! Unsubstantiated and full of hearsay!

I am thinking Ares is being vague with future release dates of the series II reprints, WGS Series 6 and Heavy Bombers for a reason. If you look at their site, aresgames.eu, under the "Upcoming" tab, if you are a regular visitor you will notice it was recently updated for the first time in 30 days or so(which is normal procedure). I noticed immediately that it only shows this month's and February's upcoming releases and nothing beyond that. This will be to the first time since the site launched that we don't have 60-90 days of speculated upcoming releases to look forward to. While it is rare for Ares to make those initial dates, it still gives a good sense of what is next from the company.

I don't have inside information so this is conjecture on my part and becomes opinion and NOT FACT. However, I do know businesses generally do not have endless capitol or unlimited credit lines. I believe the answer to the lack of speculative release dates lies in the January releases. Ares has invested heavily in the development of their new line "Sails of Glory". They have over 10 new Sails of Glory products hitting retail shelves as we speak for a highly anticipate game that has been stalled for months with delay after delay. Not only were the delays annoying to fans, especially those who participated in a very successful Kickstarter fundraiser, it also had to put Ares in a financial pinch. This month you have some products hitting the retail market all the same time, when many were earmarked for as early as late Summer 2013. That is a 6 month delay of product and return of investment in some cases. The part of this to consider is the amount of money invested to bring this new line to market. I am guessing Ares needed the extra capitol to bring the Sails of Glory line to market, thus the Kickstarter project and the subsequent delays have dried up the available revenue to manufacture new products.

I could be way off base with this, as I said earlier, I don't have an inkling about Ares' financial situation. Furthermore, I am not advocating that Ares is in any financial dire straights. However, I do believe they are having to temporarily slow production down until investment in new product is recouped and they achieve liquidity again. However, for all I know, Roberto will be on here telling me I couldn't be farther off from the truth. But in my defense, you have a company since its earliest days that has been open with its release dates of new products on the horizon and a general idea of when to expect them. Lately, you have had new projects announced, like WGS series 6 and WGF series II reprint, but nothing in the date department and a website that normally shows projected projects 60-90 days out, now showing 30 days out. Both of those new items, the Galaxy Defenders and new WGF series 7, have been in the pipeline for a good amount of time. No new products has been announced with a release date for a considerable amount of time, meaning the last 60 days or so. Ares has gotten a lot of product to market in a very short time period, I would expect that to continue, but only after they recoup on their investment in Sails of Glory.

One area I have failed to touch on to this point is the upcoming War of the Ring expansion, The Battle of Five Armies. While I am not aware of a release date for this expansion, I do know Ares is showing previews on their Facebook account. The development and consequently printing of such a quality game can't be cheap and probably an additional hand out for money.

Ares is an awesome and open company, I wish them best and will buy as many of their products as I can afford. They make quality stuff and most importantly fun games, which is what I am looking for at the end of the day.

Oberst Hajj
01-15-2014, 05:37
They also already have SGN Wave 2 ships in the production process. I agree that attention to SGN and Battle of Five Armies has taken some of their resources, but I think mainly its been production capacity that has been eaten up.

The other thing to consider, Ares may finally be tired of being beat up for missing those release dates the used to project 60-90 days out. They took a heavy beating on the delays in the SGN KS, so I would not be surprised if they fore go any mid to long term announcements from this point on.

Teaticket
01-15-2014, 05:41
I think you hit it on the head with their being distracted with SGN and 5Armies. I've seen other small companies when growing have their original lines become sluggish as the new lines get most of the attention. As long as we can get a new release every year though, I'd be happy.

fast.git
01-15-2014, 07:28
The other thing to consider, Ares may finally be tired of being beat up for missing those release dates the used to project 60-90 days out. They took a heavy beating on the delays in the SGN KS, so I would not be surprised if they fore go any mid to long term announcements from this point on.

Makes sense. Ares got killed for not meeting a deadline that, in hindsight, was unrealistic. I'll own it... I was one of those who was less than pleased with the situation, so I'll not be one of those who blame them for remaining vague about release dates in the future. My hope, however, is that they continue to drop us some crumbs from time-to-time... they help to build/maintain interest in the game.

Oberst Hajj
01-15-2014, 07:50
My hope, however, is that they continue to drop us some crumbs from time-to-time... they help to build/maintain interest in the game.

That's my job. lol

P-51D
01-15-2014, 08:16
Interesting insight and points gents. I wasn't sure if I was going to get flamed or slapped on the back. I think Ares is doing a fine job. I really am excited to see what comes out in both Wings lines this year. I like the direction they are taking with WGS. I am noticing here on the forum that with each release, we are picking up more WGF players starting to play WGS. Hopefully, that trend is happening outside the forum as well.

csadn
01-15-2014, 15:38

Very likely -- there's at least one video-game company out there which stubbornly refuses to have set release-dates, for this reason.

Captain Chum
01-16-2014, 20:53
That's my job. lol

When's the next crumb....or worse case scenario, some crumbs to let us know when the next crumb will be. :lol:

itchy
01-16-2014, 23:16
The only ones I have missing from series 2 are the DV 11 so want those plus I will get any of the others that I don't already have just for collection sakes .

Oberst Hajj
01-17-2014, 07:48
When's the next crumb....or worse case scenario, some crumbs to let us know when the next crumb will be. :lol:

I can only let you smell the next crumb... no seeing, touching or tasting of it.

Captain Chum
01-17-2014, 13:07
snnnnnnniiiiiiiiiifffffffffffffffffff....."cough".......oh wait....that was my glue! :eek::dazed::dazed:

skyking20
01-17-2014, 13:13
Can't wait! I just keep adding to the spreadsheet and the joy!

fast.git
01-17-2014, 13:54
snnnnnnniiiiiiiiiifffffffffffffffffff....."cough".......oh wait....that was my glue! :eek::dazed::dazed:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

csadn
01-17-2014, 14:12

Looks like you picked the wrong week to start sniffing glue. >;)

Jager
01-17-2014, 15:42

There's a right week for that?? :confused:
Karl

fast.git
01-17-2014, 16:04

There's a sale at Penny's! ;)

csadn
01-18-2014, 15:39
I am not allowed to do my impressions of any character from the _Airplane!_ films at a _WoG_ game. I stand corrected.

Captain Chum
02-15-2014, 21:33
what's up?

P-51D
02-16-2014, 05:16
Not sure about series II, but Ares just announced the Gotha and Caprioni are due for reprint in May. The Gothas will have the same paint schemes as before and the Caps will be different.

Diamondback
02-16-2014, 05:31
Too bad we couldn't get new Gothas too. :( Shades of WGS Series 2 all over again...

Oberst Hajj
02-16-2014, 14:42
I'm sure they are not doing new paints for the Gothas because they sold so well... but they are going to miss out on sales to those of that already have them.

Teaticket
02-16-2014, 16:09
I'm sure they are not doing new paints for the Gothas because they sold so well... but they are going to miss out on sales to those of that already have them.

Too bad. That seems like a no brainer. I'd surely buy if they had new paint.

Flying Helmut
02-16-2014, 16:26
I have six Gothas, 3 of each, so won't buy any more.......................however, if they had new paint schemes, different story!

greenalfonzo
02-17-2014, 09:19

This!

I would love to buy more, but I'm just not into repeated paint schemes. Even just redoing one of them would have been great, as there are some really great looking Gotha schemes out there as well. I just don't understand the entire 'it sold well the first time' logic. You've got to do something new if you want to bring in these old buyers a second time around! Other companies have made their fortune by being able to get the same buyers to keep coming back to the well by just re-skinning the same product over again.

KevinsHope
02-17-2014, 09:53
Man, I'm just waiting on the reprint of the ME 109. I hope they don't take too long to get to it.

csadn
02-17-2014, 13:12
Oh, hell -- everyone knows the usual suspects will buy the reprint Gothas, and respray them.... :)

Dom S
02-17-2014, 13:16
True, but they're still a missed trick - yes, the Gotha sold out substantially faster than any other model (even D.VIIs lasted far longer than the Gothas did) but frankly it still seems lazy not to do new schemes. Probably not a biggy, though - the people who won't buy because they're duplicates are definitionally those who already have them, so it means the availability for newer players will probably last a bit longer. Assuming they're produced from the same mould as the Caproni (I'm guessing they are) then that may well be a good thing.

BobP
02-17-2014, 13:45
I only bought 1 Gotha and 1 Carponi when they came out. Just got 3 more Carponi today so now I have 2 of each. I would be one of those that get the Gotha repaint.

Captain Chum
03-05-2014, 20:15
Back on topic....any crumbs out there Keith or is that my glue I am smelling. :)

Oberst Hajj
03-06-2014, 02:28
Man, I'm just waiting on the reprint of the ME 109. I hope they don't take too long to get to it.

We should see those sooner rather than later.

Back on topic....any crumbs out there Keith or is that my glue I am smelling. :)

Noting more than this year. My personal guess is 4Q.

greenalfonzo
03-09-2014, 07:56
Noting more than this year. My personal guess is 4Q.

I'm a bit surprised that they are taking this long to get more repaints out there. Seems like a simpler, cheaper endeavor to get them out than all new models.

Diamondback
03-09-2014, 08:09
Kev, they may not have been able to get all the old Nexus tooling, and thus might need to have new tools cut... Remember how they needed to retool WGF Series 1?

Angiolillo
03-09-2014, 08:11
It's not a matter of difficulty. They are just alternating new models and older subjects. Last week a bunch of new subjects has been released, with longly awaited for planes as SPAD VII, Bristol Fighter, Albatros D.II and Cl.II. Now it's time for a new wave of reprints with Fokker D.VII, Snipe, two-seaters, Gotha G.V and Caproni Ca.3.

Mad Charly
03-09-2014, 12:05
When? Do you have an exit date?
Any News about camouflages?
Thanks a lot.
Carlo

skyking20
03-09-2014, 12:17
More great planes to fly!

Jager
03-09-2014, 12:56
I hope they keep Gallard, or at least have another of the AbbeyVille Boys ;)
Karl

Flying Officer Kyte
03-10-2014, 01:50
I hope they keep Gallard, or at least have another of the AbbeyVille Boys ;)
Karl

We can but hope Carl.
Although I paint my own I like to see several aircraft out of the same stable as it gives those non painters a chance to build up a Flight.
Rob.

john snelling
03-10-2014, 09:45
I also will not be buying any Gothas. Got too many planes to repaint already. I would have bought them even if they had minor decal changes.

BobP
03-10-2014, 12:12
I only bought one Gotha when they came out so would have to get some of the new ones. I only had 1 Carponi until I played a game run by John S (above post) so I had to get a few more. Now I have 2 of each.

john snelling
03-10-2014, 13:15
I only bought one Gotha when they came out so would have to get some of the new ones. I only had 1 Carponi until I played a game run by John S (above post) so I had to get a few more. Now I have 2 of each.

Thank you for the compliment. I'm glad you enjoyed the game that much because I starting feeling under the weather that day.

Mike George
03-14-2014, 08:07
Your are going to have to change the DATE on Early 2014 to.................................?

Captain Chum
03-16-2014, 22:04
Your are going to have to change the DATE on Early 2014 to.................................?

I read over on Ares website that they will be at the GAMA trade show March 17-21, in Las Vegas. The article mentions that folks will be able to see some of the upcoming releases in the Sails of Glory and Wings of Glory lines.
Hopefully this means something other that the new bombers that are coming out soon but I figure or my hunch is that it is the bombers. I am sure some pics will be posted during or after the trade show so just maybe we can get a sneak peak at something new.

Oberst Hajj
03-17-2014, 09:23
I read over on Ares website that they will be at the GAMA trade show March 17-21, in Las Vegas. The article mentions that folks will be able to see some of the upcoming releases in the Sails of Glory and Wings of Glory lines.
Hopefully this means something other that the new bombers that are coming out soon but I figure or my hunch is that it is the bombers. I am sure some pics will be posted during or after the trade show so just maybe we can get a sneak peak at something new.

I think they were referring to the Wave 2 ships for Sails of Glory. Being an industry trade show, I don't expect to see too many photos coming out of it. Unfortunately I can't make it again this year :(

Xen
03-21-2014, 19:14
minor decal changes on the Gotha's would be a very astute move...

Xen
03-21-2014, 19:18
as a side note, looking at the promotional photos for the new Caproni's, does anyone else feel the that colours are a bit... fruity?
Do they really need to be so yellow? I'm wondering if some of these minis will require some weathering on the hobby table

Captain Chum
03-21-2014, 23:00
minor decal changes on the Gotha's would be a very astute move...

Yes, that would be wise.

Angiolillo
03-21-2014, 23:08
Caproni bombers were definitely yellow. The exact shade is not known, but the color schemes have been checked and approved by my friend Gregory Alegi, an aviation historian who published several books about those magnificent machines.

fast.git
03-22-2014, 04:38
Thanks for the timely response to Evan's question Andrea, but I don't think he was questioning the color, exactly, but its vibrancy. And if that's not what he meant (sorry Evan), it's what I'm wondering.

Were they really that... bright? :confused:

Thanks!

Xen
03-22-2014, 04:49
haha yes I meant the vibrancy of the yellow! it seems very contrasting to the photos in the original flight of the giants game pack.
for example this one of Taramelli's machine
http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=53

David Manley
03-22-2014, 05:32
haha yes I meant the vibrancy of the yellow! it seems very contrasting to the photos in the original flight of the giants game pack.
for example this one of Taramelli's machine
http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=53

I guess its like the yellow balloon - looks like it could do with some toning down :)

Angiolillo
03-22-2014, 05:55
Again, the balloon has been tuned with a piece of real canvas that my other friend and aviation historian Paolo Varriale kept in his own hands while visiting an ace family. He did not name it openly, but I am pretty sure that it was Ancillotto's, that once was so concentrated in attacking an Austrian balloon to go across it while it was exploding. He found stripes of canvas fron the balloon on the wings of his Nieuport 11, when he was back at his base.
Even if, again, not even the real stuff can be trusted 100% - after nearly a century, color changes. And of course from fixing the color, putting it in the drawing, and getting the finished model, shades and brightness can change somehow.

For the Caproni, we changed our interpretations along the years going for a brigher one.

Similar problems of interpretations relate to the yellow of Italian Hanriots - again, there are people thinking that it was very bright and people who prefer to think that it was less bright. Some, that it was not even yellow. If I am not wrong, a reference is a painting that Scaroni commissioned supervising it, where his plane is of a very bright and intense yellow.

This is Ruffo di Calabria's SPAD - not the true one, a recent repaint of a replica. But again we have a quite bright yellow on an Italian plane:

fast.git
03-22-2014, 06:03
Even if, again, not even the real stuff can be trusted 100% - after nearly a century, color changes. And of course from fixing the color, putting it in the drawing, and getting the finished model, shades and brightness can change somehow.

For the Caproni, we changed our interpretations along the years going for a brigher one.

Similar problems of interpretations relate to the yellow of Italian Hanriots - again, there are people thinking that it was very bright and people who prefer to think that it was less bright. Some, that it was not even yellow. If I am not wrong, a reference is a painting that Scaroni commissioned supervising it, where his plane is of a very bright and intense yellow.

But Andrea... I've seen the pictures, and everything looks like it was painted black, grey, and white! ;)

Please understand no criticisms are intended... more curiosity than anything else. :)

Xen
03-22-2014, 06:16
cool :)

Please understand no criticisms are intended... more curiosity than anything else.
yep :)

David Manley
03-22-2014, 06:33
An interesting thing of course about modelling is the need to lighten shades on models to get the correct impression. and the smaller the model the lighter the shade. Ome of my professional painting chums reminded me the other day that one should never really use black on a model, dark grey gives a better impression. And I've seen players get wrapped around the axle matching US Navy colours to model paint charts and then paint ships only to find that they've come out way too dark. I've done it myself, matching RN light weatherwork grey to one of the Revell colours (I forget which) - a perfect match at 1:1 scale, but looks wrong on a 1/1200 model. So whilst the colour of the balloon may be a perfect match at 1:1 I can quite see why is would be questioned as being too "bright".

Teaticket
03-22-2014, 07:05
It should be easy enough to dull down the color a bit with a gentle 'wash' of grey, brown or whatever shade one wants to tone it for to personal taste.

Angiolillo
03-22-2014, 07:59
No criticism intended - and my posts are not to say we are right, but more to underline that this is a controversial subject even for aviation historian, and that we can not be certain even if we tried to "make our own homeworks".
The Caproni at Vigna di Valle (Italian Air Force museum) is now white, but according to Alegi this is just a bad retoration. It was yellow up to some years ago, as the one that was in the Caproni museum and it is now at the USAAF one.

(nice joke about b/w photos by the way! ;) ;) ;) )

These planes are both original. But what about the canvas? Was it changed between 1918 and the '70s? As it was changed with a white one on the Vigna di Valle one in recent years? If it was original, did the color change with aging? In WoW we put a promo card for an Ufag C.I with brown and sand camouflage on a zig-zag pattern. In Watch your back we put another machine with a similar dark grey/light gray pattern. I have been later told that the two schemes could be actually the same: originally in gray, and on brown shades on a plane in a museum after 80 years of aging... That's why WoW only featured the gray scheme in miniatures...
I read the gheory of scaling down colors on models. Interesting, but not universally accrpted - and I still prefer our all red Richthofen's triplane rater the more pinkish prototype that the factory originally proposed.
That said... Anybody is feee to do as it pleases to him, so wash them and - more important - have fun with them!

Angiolillo
03-22-2014, 08:36
The Dr.I with scaled down red:

greenalfonzo
03-22-2014, 08:48
The Dr.I with scaled down red:

I get "Invalid Attachment" when clicking, Angiolillo.

Flying Officer Kyte
03-22-2014, 08:49
Split the difference and make it May Day.
Karl

Well we missed my Birthday Karl, so you are on pole.
Rob.

milcoll73
03-22-2014, 08:54
i asked when we could expect series 2 directly on ares facebook page and just got this reply 30 mins ago (12:00noon est 3-22-14) "Ares Games They are the next WW1 release in the pipeline, we'll announce them soon"

phililphall
03-22-2014, 09:02
Just as you have scale models you have scale color. It was a major argument in the International Plastic Modelers Society in the 70's. I had a run in with the problem when a fellow contracted me to paint his scale Corvette to match his real one. He even provided a can of the manufacturers touch up paint. I told him it wouldn't look right but he insisted. So we went ahead with it and sure enough it was way to dark on the model. When we sat it on the real thing it was a perfect match. The farther away the greyer the color

Angiolillo
03-22-2014, 09:05
I try again in a different way:

Beware: this was not scaled down with the explicit purpose you said.

Angiolillo
03-22-2014, 09:16
Just as you have scale models you have scale color. It was a major argument in the International Plastic Modelers Society in the 70's.

Yes I read about that when I started to be a modeller in the very late '70s (I was a member of IPMS too, Italian branch, and a passionate reader of several Italian and sometimes foreign modelling magazines). Even after that, the matter was still considered controversial in Italian modelling manuals and articles.

Anyway I can see the point. And I am sure that your experience showed the wisdom of doing that.

fast.git
03-22-2014, 09:22
I try again in a different way:

Beware: this was not scaled down with the explicit purpose you said.

Rather pink, eh?

MoonSylver
03-22-2014, 11:14
and I still prefer our all red Richthofen's triplane rater the more pinkish prototype that the factory originally proposed.

:thumbsup::fokker:

Here is a pic from the USAF museum of a scap of fabric from the MvR triplane. It's funny, because even though they say it isn't a brilliant red, it most certainly IS...

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=104744&d=1376797191

Captain Chum
03-22-2014, 11:22
i asked when we could expect series 2 directly on ares facebook page and just got this reply 30 mins ago (12:00noon est 3-22-14) "Ares Games They are the next WW1 release in the pipeline, we'll announce them soon"
That is good news!

fast.git
03-22-2014, 11:26
:confused: Looks red to me... :confused:

Must be another case of "these are not the droids you are looking for..." ;)

David Manley
03-22-2014, 12:01
Perhaps the sign was written in the McCarthy era. Brilliant red would have indicated MvR was a goddam Commie! :D

Naharaht
03-22-2014, 13:00
Colours fade and aeroplanes get spattered with mud, oil etc.; so a brightly coloured plane may not have stayed bright very long.

Biggles downunder
03-22-2014, 16:10
I get "Invalid Attachment" when clicking, Angiolillo.

Same here

Flying Officer Kyte
03-23-2014, 01:52
Seems O.K. to me Wayne.
Are you on your home computer?
Rob.