PDA

View Full Version : One Heinkel; two warhawks; one open city

Jager
07-07-2013, 05:59
We had the first gaming meet for the Akron flight yesterday, 6-JUL-13, at the Gaming Grounds game shop off Rt. 43 in Kent Ohio.
Just 3 of us: me, Glenn (Jago85) and Josh (Kermit). This was the second game. I'll write the summery, and Glenn can add the pics and we'll comment.
I flew 1 He-111 with it's splendid camouflage for August '40 England; Glenn and Josh flew a pair of P-40s, apparently on loan from the USAAF. I repeated my successful tactics
(see http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?12224-Gameday-amp-Potluck-November-18th&p=180008&viewfull=1#post180008) of dropping height
while approaching the target, which had no FLAK defending it, causing the P-40s to over-shoot me. My drop was mostly on target; the BBC propaganda machine claimed it was a seaside opera hall, in a business/residential neighborhood, but SD agents insisted it was a boatyard for MTBs.
Glenn caught me right afterward, setting fire to the wing tanks, and exploding me a couple of cards later.

Lessons: we only used 2 Ares mats, and this didn't give the defenders time to setup an attack before the bombing. On the other hand, I'm sure that caught between 2 P-40s, I was dead meat either way.
Karl

calm
07-07-2013, 06:18
We had the first gaming meet for the Akron flight yesterday, 6-JUL-13, at the Gaming Grounds game shop off Rt. 43 in Kent Ohio.
Just 3 of us: me, Glenn (Jago85) and Josh (Kermit). This was the second game. I'll write the summery, and Glenn can add the pics and we'll comment.
I flew 1 He-111 with it's splendid camouflage for August '40 England; Glenn and Josh flew a pair of P-40s, apparently on loan from the USAAF. I repeated my successful tactics
(see http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?12224-Gameday-amp-Potluck-November-18th&p=180008&viewfull=1#post180008) of dropping height
while approaching the target, which had no FLAK defending it, causing the P-40s to over-shoot me. My drop was mostly on target; the BBC propaganda machine claimed it was a seaside opera hall, in a business/residential neighborhood, but SD agents insisted it was a boatyard for MTBs.
Glenn caught me right afterward, setting fire to the wing tanks, and exploding me a couple of cards later.

Lessons: we only used 2 Ares mats, and this didn't give the defenders time to setup an attack before the bombing. On the other hand, I'm sure that caught between 2 P-40s, I was dead meat either way.
Karl

The BBC propaganda keeps showing us, the Reich savyors bomber pilots as soulless devils, but in the end we will teach them... :smack:

I think that safety, for bombers, lay in the numbers. If you are outnumbered you are doomed :takecover:

And a little fighter scort don't hurt at all :serious:

Jager
07-07-2013, 06:21
I think that safety, for bombers, lay in the numbers. If you are outnumbered you are doomed :takecover:

And a little fighter scort don't hurt at all :serious:

Well, sure. But this was a test (to destruction) as it were.
Karl

calm
07-07-2013, 06:41
I would really like to (someday) play the part of the British interceptors, but the guys don't want to fly the bombers (or the reavy fihters for that matter), so someone have to do the job.

Until then - Beware of the flying Tomatoes !!!

AlgyLacey
07-07-2013, 06:44
I would really like to (someday) play the part of the British interceptors, but the guys don't want to fly the bombers (or the reavy fihters for that matter), so someone have to do the job.

Until then - Beware of the flying Tomatoes !!!

WHO THREW THAT!!!!??!!!!??!

Right Gunners, I'm gonna....

Kermit
07-07-2013, 06:51
Air raid sirens go off as a bomber is spotted off the horizon. Two P40 Warhawks take to the sky to defend the city.

The warhawks race forward to meet the bomber who dives down out of the way. Both planes overshoot the target and didn't get to fire a single round.

The bomber went in unopposed but dropped the bombs slightly short of target but still terrorizing the town. Turning to head home it was lit up by the P40E who stayed on target until it went down.

calm
07-07-2013, 06:57
Did you use the official mats ? If so, how many of them ?

I am asking because last game we used 2, with the target in the middle of the "defending" mat. The bombers did got intercepted before droping the tomat.... bombs, and next time I am considering to use 3, with the target in the middle one.

Jager
07-07-2013, 08:12
Yes, the coastal and the countryside mats.
Karl

calm
07-07-2013, 08:15
Yes, the coastal and the countryside mats.
Karl

Many thanks for the info !!!

Marechallannes
07-07-2013, 08:58
. My drop was mostly on target; the BBC propaganda machine claimed it was a seaside opera hall, in a business/residential neighborhood, but SD agents insisted it was a boatyard for MTBs.

Nice hit, but flaming end for the sucessful bombing run. :salute:

Looking forward for pictures. :)

FrankJamison
07-07-2013, 17:47
Love the pics. Though two P-40s against one He-111 is pretty mean.

Marechallannes
07-07-2013, 22:37
Those P40s combine a high firepower. :erk:

Also a continous fire form the Heinkel'S gunners can't stop them.

CappyTom
07-08-2013, 02:51
Another great AAR! We are going to have to get you guys some Spits and Hurricanes.
:pint:
Thomas

Kermit
07-08-2013, 07:01
Love the pics. Though two P-40s against one He-111 is pretty mean.

Not really. My plane was hit on the first pass, took engine damage and I never caught up with the bomber. That took me out of the fight. Glenn's P40 took it out all by himself.

Flying Officer Kyte
07-08-2013, 11:09
Another interesting scenario as far as I am concerned. It makes me wonder just how my Spits and Hurri will fare against the two bombers. I just ordered a second one from the Oberst today.
Rob.

Jager
07-08-2013, 15:09
Another great AAR! We are going to have to get you guys some Spits and Hurricanes.
:pint:
Thomas

Trust me, Tom, I have plenty of both; just felt like P-40s.
Karl