PDA

View Full Version : Simple ?

Commizzar
06-15-2010, 15:23
This may seem like a daft question.... but are these rules ( I have Famous Ace's and Watch your Back) really this simple.......? I have not played a game yet but it seems almost too easy.....

usmc1855
06-15-2010, 16:12
The simplicity of the basic rules are what make the game so playable and enjoyable.

Even with the optional rules, the game plays smoothly, quickly and is still very enjoyable (more so in my mind).

NeilCFord
06-15-2010, 16:32
Yep, the rules really are that simple. WoW is meant as a fun gaming experience, not a historical simulation. There are other games out there that fill that niche if required.

WoW reminds me very much of GDW's Blue Max, which offered a very similar experience in comparison to the Avalon Hill and SPI offerings of the time. Which is remarkable when you consider that the GDW guys were serious wargaming grognards who also produced Harpoon, one of the most complex, and apparently life like according to serving friends, modern naval warfare games ever.

- Neil.

guzzoid
06-15-2010, 21:51
Yes it is that easy. My 4 year old plays and does well:D. I am a seasoned wargamer and I enjoy it too. It's nice to set up, play a game, and clean up within 30 min. I am used to marathon sessions with other games. I think it is a good simulation too. Perfect? No, but close enough.

Anav
06-15-2010, 22:30
Everything they said....You can get a group together and play within 5 minutes.....what do they say "5 min to learn....lifetime to master"!!

csadn
06-15-2010, 22:52
This may seem like a daft question.... but are these rules ( I have Famous Ace's and Watch your Back) really this simple.......? I have not played a game yet but it seems almost too easy.....

I put my copy of _WoW_ next to my copy of 3W's _Aces High_.

Does the phrase "matter-antimatter reaction" ring any bells?

It sure rang mine.... ;)

Guntruck
06-16-2010, 00:50
It's what's known in our club as a 'three pint' game - you can still easily play it after 3 pints :D

flash
06-16-2010, 00:59
Bill - it's time you started playing !

Ducalutra
06-16-2010, 03:10

It's the soul of this game for you. Fast to learn and very playable.

guzzoid
06-16-2010, 05:24
It's what's known in our club as a 'three pint' game - you can still easily play it after 3 pints :D

They come in pints!?!

Guntruck
06-16-2010, 05:36
They come in pints!?!

Beer does, planes don't ;)

Flying Officer Kyte
06-16-2010, 07:28
Thats funny, I thought beer came in barrels!
Rob.

Bruce
06-16-2010, 14:25
The rules are so simple, the play speed is so fast (e.g. compared to my other latest board game "Tide of Iron") and the fun is so great that the overall positive "sum" is huge compared to other games. AND, it appeals to many segments of the gaming world - old/young, historic-detail fans/approximators, buyers/scratch builders, collectors/just-play, etc, etc. AND it has appeal to "near-gamers" that have no interest in spending many hours on a "passtime".

Beer in canada comes in Kegs ..... burp!

NeilCFord
06-16-2010, 14:35
I put my copy of _WoW_ next to my copy of 3W's _Aces High_.

Does the phrase "matter-antimatter reaction" ring any bells?

It sure rang mine.... ;)

I play tested that when I was still at secondary school and still have the version that cam in issue 12 of The Wargamer. It is definitely the antithesis of WoW though ;)

- Neil.

Oberst Hajj
06-16-2010, 22:29
The rules are very simple... just as they appear to be. However, don't let that fool you. The complexity of all the different aircraft is built into the maneuver decks... quite sneaky and defiantly a brilliant move by Andrea!

Commizzar
06-20-2010, 06:39
Awesome, I was fearing that it would be "TOO" beer and pretzel like, but now after running through a flew Dogfights I find it refreshing and fun. Its deceptively complex with the manuever cards...

IRM
06-20-2010, 15:20
You also get altitude (plus a couple of new card sequences), cloud cover and ground attack/AA fire rules in the Burning Drachens set.