PDA

View Full Version : There is no such thing as a "stupid question"....

Gaz67
06-15-2010, 08:10
Only Stupid answers....

A few of my mates want to try a small campaign which I said I'd try to run for them, so being the mega organised soul that I am I thought I'd better get organised...(we start tomorrow night, oops! :eek:)

Anyway, I've read through a lot of the files/threads and learnt a ton bit of new info, but I can't find anything that shows me how/when a pilot would get a promotion.
I can find "Pilot points" for medals and awards (which is where I'd have thought it would be) and "Ace skills" for shooting down multiples of 5 aircraft.

Can anyone help me out and point me in the right direction.

Cheer's in (panic?) advance

IRM
06-15-2010, 08:26
Just stick to something simple. Off the top of my head, how about after every 5 games that a particular side wins, the player with the most kills in his team over those 5 games goes up a rank ?

Maximum rank would be Captain/Rittmeister, with only one allowed per team. Same for next lowest rank perhaps, until there's a space to fill (courtesy of the opposing side :) ).

You should be able Google a list of WW1 ranks for each airforce easily enough.

Gaz67
06-15-2010, 10:40
I was thinking something similar, but just checking to see that it doesn't exist already.
Got a list of ranks kicking about already.
My first thought is to allow players to "spend" pilot points that they gain to "Buy" ranks, no idea of the actual cost it's just a thought.

My next question relates to this http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/downloads/carteeng_tuv.jpg

The pic shows equipment, a parachute, fire extinguisher, armour??, hand weapon??, and something else.

I know I'm being lazy but what effect do these items have? or are they someones house rules that as yet have not been posted.

Flying Officer Kyte
06-15-2010, 10:54
I was thinking something similar, but just checking to see that it doesn't exist already.
Got a list of ranks kicking about already.
My first thought is to allow players to "spend" pilot points that they gain to "Buy" ranks, no idea of the actual cost it's just a thought.

My next question relates to this http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/downloads/carteeng_tuv.jpg

The pic shows equipment, a parachute, fire extinguisher, armour??, hand weapon??, and something else.

I know I'm being lazy but what effect do these items have? or are they someones house rules that as yet have not been posted.

This is Merlin Dex's site . He comes up with some cracking ideas. It might be worth getting in touch with him.
On another topic. In the Files the Col has his "Knights of the air" file. In this on p. 7
he has a points scheme for missions. Also a chart for awarding medals. You might be able to adapt this without much trouble.
Rob.

Gaz67
06-16-2010, 07:27
Ta Rob, pm'd Merlin and I've seen the chart for medals in the "Knights of the Air" file. I'll make up something for rank in the next few days based on the medals chart.

Oberst Hajj
06-16-2010, 21:51
Gaz, I'd like to see what you come up with for ranks. I never thought to put them in to KotA, but it is some thing that should be easy to add and would tie it nicely into the site now that I have the ranks setup here as well.

Anav
06-16-2010, 23:31
Something so easy!

Gaz67
06-17-2010, 05:09
Most of this is just thoughts so far, so any and all comments are asked for.

I got some really good stuff from merlindex for the equipment he has on his cards.
What I want to do is use the Pilot points the way they are allocated in your Knights of the Air campaign (perhaps adding a 0-4 bonus for mission completion) and allowing the player to "Buy" either equipment (No costs/requirements worked out as yet), Medals or Ranks. (Player choice)

All Pilots start as 2nd Lieutenant (or equivelant) and can't fly after Major.
Perhaps I'd allow further ranks that gave a bonus to the home airfield.
I'd also only allow 1 Major and 2 Captains per Squadron and wouldn't allow more than 1 to take to the air at a time. (Each being a flight leader?)
Each promotion would give a bonus "A" damage card to Health Points the same as Medals.

Increase to 1st Lientenant :-10 PP
Increase to Captain :-20 PP
Increase to Major :-40 PP

And again thanks to merlindex for sending me a copy of his campaign rules. (Now all I have to do is learn French)