PDA

View Full Version : Worst miniature in the game

Air Battle Mgr
06-13-2010, 21:17
A lot of people discuss why they prefer this plane or that, I am curiuous to hear why you dislike a plane.

I have yet to play it but Richthofen's Roland looks pretty ridiculous with so many ways to render it inoperative -- jam, kill the observer:eek:, or the old fashioned shoot the plane down. I bought it for my collection but have yet to fly it.

Love the history:) but can't say I love the plane.:(

Guntruck
06-14-2010, 00:53
I'm rather fond of the Roland, seem to be reasonably successful whenever I've used it.

As they say, don't knock it until you've tried it ;)

flash
06-14-2010, 04:11
I'd second that - I've done fairly well with his Roland, even though he hasn't got the front firing gun !
So many ways to render it inoperative? C'est le guerre ! :)

Flying Officer Kyte
06-14-2010, 04:43
Mine is the Eokker D7. It shoots me down too often.
Rob.

csadn
06-14-2010, 15:03
Nieuports. Too slow, too fragile.

krolik
06-14-2010, 20:03
Nieuports. Too slow, too fragile. Fly em against the Albatross D III.

csadn
06-14-2010, 22:40
Fly em against the Albatross D III.

The D.III sucks, but just slightly less than the Nieuport -- and he did ask for the *worst*.... :)

Flying Officer Kyte
06-15-2010, 01:23
Nieuports. Too slow, too fragile.

Not if your name is Albert Ball.
Rob.

Ducalutra
06-15-2010, 01:35
It's hard to say, since one should try and play together planes from the same period.
I myself believe that the Dr.I is not bad, but unbalanced: I've nothing against the few hit points or the scarce speed (just like the real Dr.I) but I think it should have a climb rate of 1 instead of 2, just like the Siemens Schuckert.
After all, it's greatest advantage against Camels was the faster climbing speed.

IRM
06-15-2010, 02:25
I'd agree that you really should try to match planes from the same period when possible, if you put a Nieuport 11/16/17 or Albatros D.III up against the later planes of course they're going to be outmatched.

Back on-topic, I'm not that fond of the late German planes. Great stats, but the Seimens-Schuckert and Fokker DVII just don't have the style of the Fokker triplane or Albatros D.Va and the Roland Walfisch is far better looking than the UFAG.

Regarding the Roland, I think MvR's model has the best finish of the models, so I use it with the twin-gun version's card and base (no harm done as long as you remember to point that out to your opponents).

csadn
06-15-2010, 22:47
Not if your name is Albert Ball.

Considering what happened to him, not exactly a ringing endorsement (tho' as I recall, he was killed while in a SE5a).

Flying Officer Kyte
06-16-2010, 00:06
Considering what happened to him, not exactly a ringing endorsement (tho' as I recall, he was killed while in a SE5a).

Absolutley. 47 of his victories were in Nieuports, and only 13 in SE5as. 4 1n BE2cs , and 2 in Bristol Scouts. As you can see from my avatar, I'm happy in his Nieuport.:)
Rob.

flash
06-17-2010, 12:03
I don't think of the least popular as the worst - I think of them as the more challenging to use. If I'm flying in a less manoueverable plane and I'm scoring hits it's much more satisfying. I used a Nieu 16 (?) with the rockets, downed the target balloon then took on a sky full Jerrys with just a Lewis gun ..and scored hits without taking any - yeah that's satisfying.

Snowy
06-17-2010, 19:02
Most aircraft have a particular beauty of their own. I can't say I actually dislike any particular type. Low on the totem pole for me would be the
Spad type. I just don't find it appealing in style and grace as the others. It is more of a Brute, which it's Zoom and Boom (A term I read lately) is derived from. An excellent aircraft all the same.

Oberst Hajj
06-17-2010, 22:06
I dislike all the two seaters... when I'm flying a scout and trying to shoot them down! Bloody rear guns!

csadn
06-17-2010, 23:05
I dislike all the two seaters... when I'm flying a scout and trying to shoot them down! Bloody rear guns!

The last time I fought Rolands, I ended up in the "no firing" zones of theirs no less than three times.

I don't see what's the fuss is about.

I mean: How Hard Can It Be?

>;)

Oberst Hajj
06-17-2010, 23:08
Oh, I've managed to end up there a few times as well... it's just the turn before and after that hurt so much! lol

flash
06-18-2010, 01:56
Is it true - in the real world - that the rear gunner actually has a 360 arc of fire on aircraft above him? (ie the pilots his blind spot..)
If so he could be a far more prickly beast than he is now !

Oberst Hajj
06-18-2010, 02:52
Yes, the Roland has a 360 degree fire arc for the rear gunner at targets one altitude higher.

IRM
06-18-2010, 06:12
Is it true - in the real world - that the rear gunner actually has a 360 arc of fire on aircraft above him? (ie the pilots his blind spot..)
If so he could be a far more prickly beast than he is now !

Just to clarify the Col.'s point, the Roland's rear gun works like that in the game too (rules in Deluxe Set/Miniatures rulebook).

AlgyLacey
06-18-2010, 06:16
Low on the totem pole for me would be the
Spad type. .

Me too - It's actually one of the few aircraft cards I've got which I've never used.

When I get the mini (when the new deluxe comes out :rolleyes:) it''s going for a RFC repaint straight away (23 sqn I think) and then I might try it

Angiolillo
06-18-2010, 06:30
Here a meaningful picture of the Roland:

http://historieletani.wz.cz/bomb1/roland.jpg

If you pilot one, be careful of your hat! ;)

Ducalutra
06-18-2010, 06:36
If you pilot one, be careful of your hat! ;)
Oh my!! :eek:

flash
06-18-2010, 08:23
Thanks for the clarification on that Col, Iain & that fantastic pic Andrea - I will use that on the doubters next time we play - knew I should have bought the deluxe set first time round !

Pooh
06-18-2010, 11:02
One of the nice things about this game is that each type has its own character. Some are rapiers, others battle axes. Depending on your flying style, you are almost certain to find one that fits you.

Pooh

Goering Ace
07-16-2010, 06:16
I can't say that I dislike any plane because each one has a personality of its own. Yes, some have fewer HP's and less maneuverability, but I always look at that as a challenge. I'm always looking to pit an "inferior" plane against a better, more maneuverable one to see how good my pilot skills are. I always feel that even if the plane is technically/statistically inferior, a good pilot can make it better.

Scott

Olt^Jones
07-16-2010, 06:24
i have played just a few planes of WWI.i always play with same 3-4 planes.
so i cannot say the worst plane ive played yet.

Aero825
07-16-2010, 08:20
Low on the totem pole for me would be the
Spad type.

I totally agree. I myself just dont like the Spad. Nonetheless, I still have two of them in my collection (Fonck & Rickenbacker if you were wondering). I also dislike the Fokker D.VII, however only as an enemy, unlike the spad which I dislike both as an enemy and as an ally.

Fusilier55
07-27-2010, 17:11
Thanks for the clarification on that Col, Iain & that fantastic pic Andrea - I will use that on the doubters next time we play - knew I should have bought the deluxe set first time round !
The rule is also listed in as an option in Balloon Busters. The rule will really help the one Roland! I am trying to get the players in the campaign I am playing to allow the blind spot rule. So far they are ignoring it which does make two seaters more prickly than I think they were.

Bartman
04-27-2011, 18:08
I don't think of the least popular as the worst - I think of them as the more challenging to use. If I'm flying in a less manoueverable plane and I'm scoring hits it's much more satisfying. I used a Nieu 16 (?) with the rockets, downed the target balloon then took on a sky full Jerrys with just a Lewis gun ..and scored hits without taking any - yeah that's satisfying.

Dave, I could not have said this better. I too feel the challenge of flying a less forgiving plane and having success makes the game more enjoyable.

I know some folks think the Alb.DIII is among the worst if not the worst mini, but it is actually my favorite. I love the design and the challenge.

gully_raker
04-27-2011, 18:56

Twas actually a SE5 that had that faulty Carby intake tube, the same one that caused McCudden to crash & which had long since been superseeded but somehow an old one had been fitted to McCuddens new Aircraft he was ferrying to France.

However back to Ball--- When he got disorinated in the clouds he exited them too close to the ground with a dead engine due to said carby & did not have enough height to enable him to turn over & restart the engine. One of the improvements that made the 5a was a new Carby set up.

He was a Master in the N17s & just loved that Aircraft.

gully_raker
04-27-2011, 19:01
Actually the little Nieuport 16 from the Burning Drachens set, although a beautiful little Aircraft does not seem to last long with its low damage points especially compaired to the Balloons 26!

Flying Officer Kyte
04-28-2011, 01:28

However back to Ball--- When he got disorinated in the clouds he exited them too close to the ground with a dead engine due to said carby & did not have enough height to enable him to turn over & restart the engine. One of the improvements that made the 5a was a new Carby set up.

He was a Master in the N17s & just loved that Aircraft.

This is one of the pet theorys about Albert's demise, and the most acceptable for the known facts. However, Lother would tell us a different story.
I have not painted an SE. for Albert to fly on the grounds that this way he can't get killed in my games. However he has got darned near it in his Nieuport with only the top gun, when all around him are using A cards. That is the sort of feel good factor you get from flying a fragile aircraft and scoring a kill.
Rob.

grumpybear
04-28-2011, 04:02
The Spad . Don't like flying it .

Hunter
04-28-2011, 05:17
The Spad . Don't like flying it .

I think the SPAD is alright to play, as long as you use its strengths. Following Goering Aces' plane info research and my own experiences with gaming the SPAD, I found that if you fly it like it was a knife in a knife fight you can be victorious! I fly on the periphery looking for a chance, then dart in, giving both barrels and fly out just like a jab/stab with a knife. I don't get into turns with anyone as you'll get outturned and shot down. I also use this tactic in the various Albatros scouts. The SE5a is used similarily plus it has some tricky maneuvers you can pull when the enemy is lulled into your pattern of attack.

I like flying them all, I do not have a least favorite, save the snipe. Don't get me wrong, I like the Snipe but for this game WoW it was probably a wasted mini because there is such a limited historical period you can use it (unless post war scenarios). A fella in our flight always wants to fly the Snipe, always October 1918, so when he does I fly the DVII. We've had several times (can't remember how many - but the last three are documented using the Colonels logbooks) where we oppose each other this way. I've shot him down every time! I enjoy his consternation. Funny thing is that I think he's our best pilot, until he gets in the Snipe. Maybe he mentally relaxes and puts his trust in the machine and not his own ability.

I like the look of the Snipe, but I'd rather fly a Camel if given a choice. You gotta love the sit-n-spin maneuver. Works for me alot. Well that's my view from the cockpit! I'm sure I'll hear about this from you 'Snipers'! LOL

Niclas
04-28-2011, 05:43
I'm not very fond of the SPAD either. It feels a bit brutish. It's also a SPAD that is my least favorite mini: The Frank Luke Jr one - All those details in such sharp contrast, it just looks more like a matchbox toy than an WWI-aircraft.

I'm also a bit annoyed by the Brown Camel. It was my first repaint and custom card - And then it turns up as a factory product!
I'll probably repaint the nexus one, in protest.

Volant Gun
04-28-2011, 07:53
For me its the Nieuports. They are a bit fragile, but as they say, "Its the man not the machine." I too like the challange of wining the match in a weaker plane.

VG

rcboater
04-28-2011, 17:47
I'd say it is the Albatros D-Va series. The planes have the wing struts installed backwards. (That makes it the "worst miniature" IMO. ;) )

Second place would be the SPAD 13s-- they're a little underscale-- wingspan should be 56+mm, and they're only about 52mm. ;)

Cardinal
04-28-2011, 18:39
I see the idea of using the Spad like a knife. But personally I have trouble flying without maneuverability. It's those few extra sharp turns that save you when your caught in a tight situation. I was in a Red Baron Fokker caught in the middle of a couple Ally planes. A good double 90 degree right and a stall made the two opposing planes crash and get me shots of on the survivor. It may be I use this because I am a new player, but I can't deny the beauty of such a skill. Thus, I feel the Spad is the worst plane for it is entirely without this trait.

Hunter
04-28-2011, 18:58
I'd say it is the Albatros D-Va series. The planes have the wing struts installed backwards. (That makes it the "worst miniature" IMO. ;) )

Second place would be the SPAD 13s-- they're a little underscale-- wingspan should be 56+mm, and they're only about 52mm. ;)

Yeah, Bill, you're right about the DVa and the backwards installed wing struts. I like the DVa, but putting it together wrong, well...that's just...WRONG!

What, no defense of the Snipe? You all just keep kicking the SPAD while it's down! ;-) LOL

Dimetri1
04-28-2011, 21:10
The DV struts are annoying.

Pooh
04-29-2011, 09:24
I always liked the spad XIII, at least until I discovered the SE5a. The plane that sort of disappoints me is the Nieuport 17. It was the premier scout of the day when introduced but I don't see it in the plane's manouver deck. Maybe I'll give it a go again and make the Germans fly Alb DIIIs and Rolands. I can't wait to get series 5 so we all can find out how good the later planes really are.

Pooh

Dimetri1
04-30-2011, 16:34
I love flying the Spad. The Ni-17 is fine in it's element.

gully_raker
04-30-2011, 19:32
I always liked the spad XIII, at least until I discovered the SE5a. The plane that sort of disappoints me is the Nieuport 17. It was the premier scout of the day when introduced but I don't see it in the plane's manouver deck. Maybe I'll give it a go again and make the Germans fly Alb DIIIs and Rolands. I can't wait to get series 5 so we all can find out how good the later planes really are.

Pooh

Yeah to get the best from a Plane you need to put it up against the Aircraft it would have fought against at the time.
No fun pitting a DH-2 or Nieuport 17 against a Fok DV11!

gully_raker
04-30-2011, 19:38
I think the SPAD is alright to play, as long as you use its strengths. Following Goering Aces' plane info research and my own experiences with gaming the SPAD, I found that if you fly it like it was a knife in a knife fight you can be victorious! I fly on the periphery looking for a chance, then dart in, giving both barrels and fly out just like a jab/stab with a knife. I don't get into turns with anyone as you'll get outturned and shot down. I also use this tactic in the various Albatros scouts. The SE5a is used similarily plus it has some tricky maneuvers you can pull when the enemy is lulled into your pattern of attack.

I like flying them all, I do not have a least favorite, save the snipe. Don't get me wrong, I like the Snipe but for this game WoW it was probably a wasted mini because there is such a limited historical period you can use it (unless post war scenarios). A fella in our flight always wants to fly the Snipe, always October 1918, so when he does I fly the DVII. We've had several times (can't remember how many - but the last three are documented using the Colonels logbooks) where we oppose each other this way. I've shot him down every time! I enjoy his consternation. Funny thing is that I think he's our best pilot, until he gets in the Snipe. Maybe he mentally relaxes and puts his trust in the machine and not his own ability.

I like the look of the Snipe, but I'd rather fly a Camel if given a choice. You gotta love the sit-n-spin maneuver. Works for me alot. Well that's my view from the cockpit! I'm sure I'll hear about this from you 'Snipers'! LOL

Interestingly I have had good success with the Snipe against Fok DV11's & Dr1's. It took me a while to get to grips with the SE5a but after reading to suggestions in the Comparisons/Tactics in the File section my SE5a preformance has improved considerably to the point I actually shot down the Barons Triplane in the last game.

Hunter
05-03-2011, 20:29
Interestingly I have had good success with the Snipe against Fok DV11's & Dr1's. It took me a while to get to grips with the SE5a but after reading to suggestions in the Comparisons/Tactics in the File section my SE5a preformance has improved considerably to the point I actually shot down the Barons Triplane in the last game.

Good show, Barry! That Comparisons/Tactics file help me alot as well.

Doug
05-04-2011, 04:28
Strictly from a gaming perspective the Ufag has got to be the most useless, we play games where planes are flown against others that are matched as per history. The Ufag did not come out till 1918 and does not have a brilliant performance as compared with other two seater's flown in 1918 or earlier. I had one but when WoW series IV came out it has become a hanger queen.

csadn
05-04-2011, 16:51
Strictly from a gaming perspective the Ufag has got to be the most useless, we play games where planes are flown against others that are matched as per history. The Ufag did not come out till 1918 and does not have a brilliant performance as compared with other two seater's flown in 1918 or earlier.

Never mind the Infantile Sniggering its name generates among Ill-Educated Young Males present at the gaming table....

Cardinal
05-07-2011, 14:58
Never mind the Infantile Sniggering its name generates among Ill-Educated Young Males present at the gaming table....

*Snigger* I don't know about the Ufag, works well with a few Fokkers! *Snigger* XD

csadn
05-07-2011, 16:27
*Snigger* I don't know about the Ufag, works well with a few Fokkers! *Snigger* XD

Yes, yes -- if I had a nickle for every "UFAG with a Fokker close behind" joke I've heard....

As I said: Infantile. >:)

Rabbit 3
05-07-2011, 16:48
Strictly from a gaming perspective the Ufag has got to be the most useless, we play games where planes are flown against others that are matched as per history. The Ufag did not come out till 1918 and does not have a brilliant performance as compared with other two seater's flown in 1918 or earlier. I had one but when WoW series IV came out it has become a hanger queen.
The thing to remember is that was an Austro-Hungarian plane rather than a German one.
As it was used mainly on the Italian front it fared a bit better than it would have over the Western Front.

gully_raker
05-07-2011, 17:42
Yes, yes -- if I had a nickle for every "UFAG with a Fokker close behind" joke I've heard....

As I said: Infantile. >:)

;) Maybe Chris, but funny all the same!:)

Cardinal
05-08-2011, 12:32
;) Maybe Chris, but funny all the same!:)

Local comedian at your service good sir.

Dan-Sam
05-09-2011, 06:59
SPAD XIII - I have never won a game with this plane... And I tried it many times... But it looks awesome in Barraca"s version.

batesyboy
05-09-2011, 07:25
It`s all about the pilot being able to use his plane`s strength to advantage....
Ball was particularly brilliant in his Nieuport
McCudden SE5a at altitude
The Baron would choose carefully, Knock down a fledgeling before they get good ! They all count one !
`Mick` Mannock was brilliant in any bus you put him in

Gallo Rojo
11-30-2011, 03:53
I dislike the Fokker D VII 'cause I play allies and they shoot me down all the the time
plus, they're ugly
;)

jokes aside, I dislike the SPAD ... not because of the fighter itself (which I like very much), but because of game mechanics: all you have is a very fast plane that can only be doing imelmans. Boring. If altitude rules were diferent and you could take advantage of zoom&boom tactics it would be a diferent story

Albatros VD also ends up being a boring plane to fly

john snelling
11-30-2011, 08:56
Not a bad one in the bunch. Got to play the planes that fought each other. In a pick up game everybody picks the best, I find this kinda boring. Try a N17 vs Alb D.III it makes an interesting game. Luv this game.

Willi Von Klugermann
11-30-2011, 09:56
Not a bad one in the bunch. Got to play the planes that fought each other. In a pick up game everybody picks the best, I find this kinda boring. Try a N17 vs Alb D.III it makes an interesting game. Luv this game.

Agreed although I find the less maneuverable planes are not as interesting to use. For straight dogfights I tend to stay with the 1917-18 aircraft while for balloon busting /recon intercepting all periods are game. I prefer to fty the Alb DIII over the DVa, Pfalz and Spad because of the tighter turn radius.

Rat of Vengence
11-30-2011, 13:21
I haven't played them all, but the Pfalz doesn't do anything for me; it just lumbers around in the air wishing it could turn more, or extend faster, or something!

Dave

Belis4rius
11-30-2011, 13:37
For me it is the Spad, in the game it just doesn't live up to its reputation.

Dan-Sam
11-30-2011, 14:00
I can not fly with SPAD XIII too. It annoys me, because I like it's lines...

Doug
11-30-2011, 14:13
I to dislike the Spad, I find that I spend a whole game manouvering and trying to get a shoot in, its the same with the SEA5 its not that I dislike it its just better suited to doing aerobatics than fighting, however having said that it could be me not flying the planes to their advantage:surrender:

Beer&pretzels
11-30-2011, 15:30
I love the SPAD XIII. I also like the Neuiports. I usually let my opponent pick his planes first. If he takes Dr1's or Albatross DIII's then I take either Nieuports or occasionally a Camel. If he goes for DVII's then I usually fly SPADS.

Hunter
12-01-2011, 01:37
I dislike the Fokker D VII 'cause I play allies and they shoot me down all the the time
plus, they're ugly
;)

jokes aside, I dislike the SPAD ... not because of the fighter itself (which I like very much), but because of game mechanics: all you have is a very fast plane that can only be doing imelmans. Boring. If altitude rules were diferent and you could take advantage of zoom&boom tactics it would be a diferent story

Albatros VD also ends up being a boring plane to fly

Au Contraire, my good Exequiel!:D That is precisely why the DVII is the most beautiful plane:slysmile::takecover: But IMHO I think the DVa is the sleekest looking plane. I've done well in the SPAD XIII and the DVa. The best plane for my success are the DVII and the Camel. The worst plane for me to have success is the SE5a and the DrI.

Whatever you fly, here's to your success:thumbsup:

gully_raker
12-01-2011, 16:25
A lot of people discuss why they prefer this plane or that, I am curiuous to hear why you dislike a plane.

I have yet to play it but Richthofen's Roland looks pretty ridiculous with so many ways to render it inoperative -- jam, kill the observer:eek:, or the old fashioned shoot the plane down. I bought it for my collection but have yet to fly it.

Love the history:) but can't say I love the plane.:(

:) G'day Timmy. Yes I dont know why Nexus made his with only the Front Gun Arc when the other 2 had front & rear that makes them extremely difficult to shoot down.:confused:
Must have been based on Historical background but since MvR had his Triplane as a model why not make his Roland some other Pilot/Units aircraft.
Far better to have made an Albatross for Manfred as most of his Victories came on that type of Aircraft.

Gallo Rojo
12-01-2011, 19:52
I think the DVa is the sleekest looking plane.

ditto! :)

Flying Officer Kyte
12-02-2011, 02:10
After last nights dust up with Stormkahn, I've decided that the worst miniature in the game is any one that draws the "Go to Hellwith a big BANG" card on the first exchange of fire in the game.:guns::crash::cry:
Rob.

itchy
12-02-2011, 02:56
It is in fact any model I choose to fly they all seem to come with extra explosion cards .:)

batesyboy
12-02-2011, 06:45
Context ?
Poorly rendered model ?
Historically irrellevant ?
It`s a difficult one...
The Model Spad XIII is undersized !
Why Model the Ufag, When a two seat Albatros or LVG where much more widely used.

jbmacek
12-02-2011, 13:56
The D.VII, because you can't touch one for a reasonable amount of money! And Brumowski's D.V, for the same reason. :p

Rob, for "friendly" games we usually bury those explosion cards somewhere in the bottom half of a deck.

gully_raker
12-02-2011, 15:59
The D.VII, because you can't touch one for a reasonable amount of money! And Brumowski's D.V, for the same reason. :p

Rob, for "friendly" games we usually bury those explosion cards somewhere in the bottom half of a deck.

:thumbsup: Yes, at our Games Club we actually take out the Explosion Card from all the Decks except the Balloon one.
Nothing spoils a Game particularly for a "New Chum" than Blowing up the First time you get Hit! :eek:

Jäger
12-05-2011, 08:29
I don't like the Snipe, it's historically too rare for the game. And the C deck (Camel the Great!) offers much more challenge and fun than the M deck.