PDA

View Full Version : Ohio: Ohio player who started playing at Origins 2013 Saturday afternoon.

Alcatraz
06-17-2013, 12:56
Hello all. My name is Michael W. Everett and I live in northern Ohio. To begin with I had been looking at Wings or Glory for a little while as a possible game to play but never had anyone local to play the game with. My friend and I ventured south to the Origins game convention this past Saturday and while wheeling my wheel chair through the gaming hall I spotted a huge table that had Wings of Glory miniatures on it. After stopping and talking with a friendly guy who's name was Thomas Crownhart, my friend and I were convinced that we both wanted to participate in the demonstration/tournament that was going to be happening very shortly after we talked with Thomas. Thomas was the gentleman that was running the Wings demo/tourney and he was incredibly helpful with explaining and running the entire affair. About five minutes into the battle which had 16 players involved, both me and my friend had decided that we both wanted to get involved in actively playing the game. By the end of the battle I had actually shot down two Japanese planes and placed fifth in the standings which was pretty good for a new player I think. I ended up winning an American plane, which is totally awesome and my friend got a Japanese plane as well. Best of all was when the friendly guy, whose name escapes me at the moment, came over and gave my friend and I the prize that he had won which were the rules and cards etc. for the game! Basically, the second place finisher gave us his prize so now my friend and I can both pretty much play the game together and learn more about the game as well. After finishing playing the game my friend and I stayed around for a little while and talked to Thomas and a couple other people who are local enough to each other that they are going to start meeting every month or so and play Wings. I hope that both me and my friend, whose name is Todd, will both be able to join the group called the Buckeye Gamers in Flight Board Gaming Club in playing Wings of Glory and any other games that strike our fancy. Thank you to Thomas and all of the players that participated in the Wings of Glory tournament on Saturday at the Origins game convention in Columbus Ohio!!!

calm
06-17-2013, 13:01
Welcome to the Aerodrome Michael !!! :thumbsup:

Greetings from Brazil :salute:

Jager
06-17-2013, 13:07
Welcome Michael;
I'm glad you had a great time at Origins. I'm up in Akron, and working on getting something semi-regular going up here.
I'll certainly keep you in the loop about things.
Roam around, and enjoy your stay.
Dawn patrol tomorrow, and being the new man, you get the plane
with the most patches in it ;)
Karl

Black Sheep One
06-17-2013, 13:12
Hello Michael,

Reporting from Lima! Excited to hear that you had a great time in Columbus. WoG is an addictive game, and you had a good teacher in Tom. Hope to fly with you soon! What part of Ohio you from?

Was it the Wake Island game you played? I think I remember you. You were sitting on the one corner on the US side, I think I was on the opposite corner from you on the Japanese side.

Hope to fly with you soon.

7eat51
06-17-2013, 14:01
Welcome Michael. :salute:

Origins was a wonderful time.

MoonSylver
06-17-2013, 14:16
Welcome Michael! Thank you for sharing a great story with us, glad you had such an awesome first experience, & glad you joined us here at the 'drome! :thumbsup:

Skullduggery
06-17-2013, 15:24
Welcome Michael. I also played in the same game with you. I was the first Japanese pilot downed in an exploding fireball. I'm glad you had fun and you couldn't have had a better teacher than Thomas. I hope to fly with you again sometime.

Tommy Z
06-17-2013, 18:04
Welcome Michael! Glad to have you on board. We will be playing WWI Sunday July 7th 3pm-7pm at The Soldiery in Columbus. We would love to have you join us. :thumbsup:

Jago85
06-17-2013, 18:21
Hi Michael and welcome to the Aerodrome. I am glad you enjoyed the game,As Karl said I hope we can get together with the others up here in Northeast Ohio and enjoy a game or two.
Glenn :)

BBSuds
06-17-2013, 18:23
Welcome to the 'drome, Michael. Great story and many more to follow. :fokker: :camel:

ptownhiker
06-17-2013, 18:24
Welcome from Virginia, Michael! Conventions provide a great gateway into the game, it's how I started.

somaliavet
06-17-2013, 19:51
Howdy from Kansas, Michael. Great to have you with us!

Naharaht
06-17-2013, 21:08
Welcome to the Aerodrome, Michael, from here near Norwich in the United Kingdom. It is good to hear how you and your friend were able to pick up the game so quickly and be enthused by it.

crashx
06-17-2013, 21:18
Hello Michael, welcome to the group!!! Those Ohio boy's are top notch, and you will have a great time flying with them!!! ;):thumbsup::pint:

Zakopious
06-17-2013, 21:43
Michael,
Welcome to the Aerodrome.
I also live in Northern Ohio (Sheffield Lake - about 30 miles west of Cleveland).
I play at Ctrl-Alt-Elite in Sheffield next to the Sugar Creek restaurant.
See: https://www.facebook.com/ctrlaltelitegaming?ref=ts&fref=ts

celticgriffon
06-17-2013, 22:10
Welcome to the fold Michael and Todd.

Hearing stories like this makes me proud to be part of this community. Great job to everyone at Origins promoting WoG/WoW!!

Michael

Kermit
06-17-2013, 22:39
Welcome Michael. I remembered that you were in the Curtiss P-40E Warhawk during the Wake Island Event. I put up an After Action Report Here (http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?15333-Wake-Island-Event-1566-Origins-2013). You got a few kills during that game if I recall correctly. I was on the other corner in another P-40 during that game. I'm from the Cleveland Area (North Royalton) to be specific. Trying to set up a once a month meetup near Akron in the near future. I'll keep you posted if you are interested.

OldGuy59
06-17-2013, 23:18
Michael,
Welcome to the 'drome from Vancouver Island, Canada.

Just attended Enfilade 2013 in Olympia, Washington, and met a bunch of great WoWers there. Glad you had fun, but I'm not surprised that you met a great bunch of "pilots" at Origins. You shouldn't have any where near the trouble I have finding local people to game with.

Good luck. The addiction is just starting, I'm afraid.

Mike :)

Archidamus
06-17-2013, 23:42
Hi Michael, and welcome to the 'drome from over here in the UK

CappyTom
06-18-2013, 02:52
Welcome aboard Michael, glad to have you here. Look forward to flying with you soon. Thank you for the compliments and great to see you pick up the game so fast. Your a natural pilot, Todd as well.
:hatsoff:
Thomas

grumpybear
06-18-2013, 03:50
Hi from Alberta

Flying Officer Kyte
06-18-2013, 11:37
On behalf of the pilots based here in Dear old Blighty who have not yet introduced themselves, welcome to the Drome Michael.
You will find that the kindness of the guy who gave you his prize is typical of the spirit of the Drome. Many of us have never physically met each other, but we are all like a big world wide family. So welcome to the family.
Rob.

Attila57
06-18-2013, 12:01
Welcome from Italy, Michael! Origins 2013 is a perfect opportunity to learn about WoG

Alcatraz
06-18-2013, 12:40
Hello all and thank you so much for the great and friendly welcome. To answer all of your questions in one single post; first of all I live in Wooster, Ohio which is about an hour south of Cleveland and about 45 minutes west of Akron or Canton and about an hour and a half north east of Columbus. Pretty much I live in the middle of nowhere but we do now have a cool gaming store in town called Wings Wheels and Waves. As a matter of fact the store was the first place I was exposed to WoG as a game and started gaining interest in playing. At Origins I was the player in the wheelchair in the corner. I was shot down once and also was crashed into and went down as well. I managed to shoot down two enemy Japanese planes though and was so excited by both the simplicity of the game and the level of strategy involved as well. Due to my handicaps I am unable to drive but am usually able to get a ride from my friend Todd who is also very interested in continuing to play WoG in the future. Unfortunately, due also to my disability, I am limited in the budget that I have available to get more planes and also purchase the rules for the game etc but I plan on making some adjustments so that I can afford at least SOME of the WoG stuff that I am desperate to purchase and play with. I think I answered all of the question but if I didn't just post it again and I'll be happy to answer. Thanks again for all the kind words and welcomes!

Jago85
06-18-2013, 14:23
Hi Michael , first of all take your time to get what you need from the game. Also on the Ares sight there are rule downloads for both WWI and WWII.
http://www.aresgames.eu/downloads
I hope this helps you a bit.
Glenn

Jago85
06-18-2013, 14:26
Also for those who are able the CAF has several Aircraft at the Akron Fulton Airport the crown jewel is the B-29 Fifi. The sad thing is that they are here only two days and in the middle of the week. Wednesday is the last day.
http://www.ohio.com/news/local/b-29-superfortress-touchdown-in-akron-stirs-memories-for-92-year-old-wwii-pilot-1.406720
here is an article in the local paper.
Glenn

The Cowman
06-18-2013, 14:28
Welcome to the 'Drome Michael. I did not get the chance to meet you at Origins, but we are happy you could join us and hope to see you again soon!!! :salute:

Trench Wench
06-18-2013, 20:19
Welcome, Michael!!!:clap: Hope you are now as addicted as the rest of us!! Just remember, if at first you get shot down, fly, fly, and fly again!!! :fokker::camel: Beth

milcoll73
06-18-2013, 23:42
hi micheal im also from nw ohio (stmarys) and i got hooked on WoG at origins
phillip

Oberst Hajj
06-19-2013, 06:28
Welcome to the site guys and I'm glad to see some of our new Origins players signing up here to continue the fun when not in the air!

Warchariot
06-19-2013, 09:48
What a great story! And WELCOME from Wyoming!

Grimcall
07-09-2013, 10:29
Greetings I am Todd the otehr player. For your information now Mike is up by one plane another P-40 for his birthday. I am looking foward to playing and have a small flight of planes now also. I only shot down one plane at Origind with one crashand burn for me. Hope to fly with you all or against you all depending on the sides. But really we are all flying together no matter what side we are on.

Flying Officer Kyte
07-09-2013, 11:42
Welcome to the Drome Todd, from here in a for once sweltering U.K.
I'm sure a few of your fellow countrymen will be back from patrol soon to give you a welcome.
Rob.

Alcatraz
07-09-2013, 12:23
Greetings I am Todd the otehr player. For your information now Mike is up by one plane another P-40 for his birthday. I am looking foward to playing and have a small flight of planes now also. I only shot down one plane at Origind with one crashand burn for me. Hope to fly with you all or against you all depending on the sides. But really we are all flying together no matter what side we are on.

My friend, my best friend that is... Todd was kind enough to give me a new P-40 for my upcoming birthday later in the month which means I now have two planes and can fly some battles. I'm sure that the closest future battles will just be against Todd as he has quite a few more planes than me and will be able to challenge me with either Japanese or German planes already with many more planes in his future. I managed to find a website and along with the website that was recommended to me on here by a friendly pilot I'm positive that both Todd and even me with my limited budget will be able to field quite a number of different combinations of planes from just as many nationalities.

One question that I do have which is very basic is how does everyone manage to store their planes safely and still transport them to wherever the battles are going to take place? Both Todd and I have been playing war games of all sorts for over 25 years now and although the both of us have managed to find ways to store and transport miniature in the past; I'm sure that you folks have found some great ways to both store and transport the myriad of planes that you own safely to the battles. I know all about the tackle boxes etc but is there a specific one or type that will accommodate the planes and bombers easily without damaging them at all? Anyways, that's my question of the hour right now. Thanks in advance for looking and for any answers that you guys come up with!

Jager
07-11-2013, 03:01
Most people here (based on the postings) use 2 methods: store them in the original packaging, or use hanger trays. Keith (our Oberst) sells them on the AA; however, I understand there are some supplier issues. Also, he currently only makes them for WW1 planes. I've experimented with my trays, and found that P-40s really only fit in the Se-5 slots.
There are other companies making these trays; check through the Hobby section for threads discussing them.
Karl

Jager
07-11-2013, 03:04
Hello all and thank you so much for the great and friendly welcome. To answer all of your questions in one single post; first of all I live in Wooster, Ohio which is about an hour south of Cleveland and about 45 minutes west of Akron or Canton and about an hour and a half north east of Columbus. Pretty much I live in the middle of nowhere but we do now have a cool gaming store in town called Wings Wheels and Waves. As a matter of fact the store was the first place I was exposed to WoG as a game and started gaining interest in playing. At Origins I was the player in the wheelchair in the corner. I was shot down once and also was crashed into and went down as well. I managed to shoot down two enemy Japanese planes though and was so excited by both the simplicity of the game and the level of strategy involved as well. Due to my handicaps I am unable to drive but am usually able to get a ride from my friend Todd who is also very interested in continuing to play WoG in the future. Unfortunately, due also to my disability, I am limited in the budget that I have available to get more planes and also purchase the rules for the game etc but I plan on making some adjustments so that I can afford at least SOME of the WoG stuff that I am desperate to purchase and play with. I think I answered all of the question but if I didn't just post it again and I'll be happy to answer. Thanks again for all the kind words and welcomes!

Michael;
Does Wings Wheels and Waves have on-site gaming? If so, can we arrange a game day?
Karl

Alcatraz
07-11-2013, 08:24
Michael;
Does Wings Wheels and Waves have on-site gaming? If so, can we arrange a game day?
Karl

Jager,

As to your question regarding whether the local game store called Wings, Wheels and Waves has on site gaming? Yes, as a matter of fact it does. The store has quite a good amount of space for tabletop gaming and if I know how many people are planning on coming I can reserve an adequate amount of space for all of us to play. I think the best days to play would be on a Saturday or Sunday mostly. Myself and Todd are working on coming up with a day for gaming at that shop very soon and once we know what day will work we will definitely post it on this site to alert other flyers/gamers who might be interested in showing up.

Thanks for the suggestion about how to store the planes as well. Very helpful indeed and got my brain working on the problem as well!

Jager
07-11-2013, 08:51
Glad to help;
Karl

Willi Von Klugermann
07-13-2013, 06:04
A belated welcome to the group Mike.

Alcatraz
07-18-2013, 12:33
Michael;
Karl

Karl and all other Ohio Pilots,

Just thought I would answer Karl's question here as I've already posted in another thread that YES the local game store in Wooster DOES have on site gaming. As a matter of fact, I have scheduled a game day from 13:00 till 18:00 on Saturday the 27th of July at the shop which is called Wings, Wheels and Waves at 133 North Bever Street Wooster, Ohio 44691. The phone number for the store is 330-601-0585. The store is located very closely to route 30 and is easy to locate even if you don't use mapquest to plot a course there. Both myself and my friend Todd will be there and hopefully we can get some of you other Ohio players to show up as well. If anyone does decide to attend and knows they will be doing so in advance please let myself and Todd know that you're coming and if you can also bring a game mat to play WoG on that would be even better. Neither myself nor Todd currently own a game mat to play WoG on so we're hoping that someone will show up with one that doesn't mind us using it. Otherwise we'll still play without a game mat it would just be nice to have one there on Saturday is all.

For any pilots that do plan to attend and play on the 27th of July, a little FYI about the surrounding area of the game store. There is a shop called the Hero House only two doors away from the game store and the Hero House sells some of the best Sub sandwiches etc that I have ever tasted. There is also a Speedway store very close to the game store with all sorts of any other kind of snacks etc that you would need when playing a game of WoG.

Anyways, I think I covered everything for now. If anyone has questions just let me know or post them to this thread and I'll do my best to reply to them. Thanks for reading this and I look forward to seeing some of you possibly on Saturday the 27th!!!

Nightbomber
07-18-2013, 12:54
Hi Michael and Todd:) This is the Green Zeke player of the Saturday game you participated during Origins:) I remember both of you. It's great you signed here and continue the adventure! Happy gaming and many successful sorties.!

Jager
07-18-2013, 15:04
I'll see if I can make it, Michael; I'm starting my porch teardown and rebuild next week, and don't know where we'll be on Saturday.
Will keep you posted.
Karl

CappyTom
07-18-2013, 19:38
I will try to make it as well. And I will bring a mat.

Thomas

Tommy Z
07-18-2013, 19:42
Sorry Guys, I work Saturdays.:( Hopefully we can work something out soon. :thumbsup:

Jager
07-26-2013, 15:45
Looks like I'm in; WW1 or WW2?
Karl

Kermit
07-26-2013, 21:42
I just checked this today but I already have plans. Sorry.

Josh

Jager
07-27-2013, 06:27
Looks like I'm in; WW1 or WW2?
Karl

I'll bring mats too, and planes et al. ;)
KwE

Alcatraz
07-27-2013, 07:19
I'll bring mats too, and planes et al. ;)
KwE

It's going to be WWII Karl and I am excited that you will be attending. We will probably play until around 16:00 or till 16:30 at the latest. I think that 3-3.5 hours is plenty of time to get in a good game right?

CappyTom
07-27-2013, 07:42
So sorry guys, had a run of bad luck. Karl will fill everyone in.
:surrender:
Thomas

Alcatraz
07-27-2013, 07:50
So sorry guys, had a run of bad luck. Karl will fill everyone in.
:surrender:
Thomas

It's okay Tom. Things happen in the real world and that's just the way it works maybe next time. I was looking forward to gaming with you and my friend Todd/Grimcall was as well. It'll just be more fun the next time we can get together when you are able to show up and get shot down by us rookies!!! LOL!