PDA

View Full Version : Manouevre Book

flash
06-12-2010, 01:48
Is there a file that standard & custom manouevres are logged into ? I've seen illustrated extracts from various books by real WW1 pilots on manouevres - should we not have one too?

flash
06-14-2010, 11:56
I'll take it that's a no then !! :)

NeilCFord
06-14-2010, 12:07
More likely it's an indication of a busy weekend and everyone missing your initial post perhaps? ;)

Following the discussion of the loop manoeuvre I've been trying to think of a way to illustrate it using card images. So far I've got as far as more thought required ;)

So count this as one vote for a manoeuvre book being a good idea.

- Neil.

Flying Officer Kyte
06-14-2010, 12:21
I will add my insubstantial weight to that vote Dave. There are odd examples of moves on the site. Falling leaf Barrel roll etc. We could do with them formalizing in the same way that the col. did for the bombing run.
Are you volunteering for it then? :D
Rob.

flash
06-15-2010, 09:28
Don't have the requisite skills to produce something of an acceptable standard, or the patience to produce something that is acceptable to all. I suppose it would give people a choice of things to try.
I find it most interesting though - I've seen some modern stuff that's emminently do-able eg Cuban 8, Half Cuban, Reverse Cuban and the Chandrelle. I think we really need some climbing / diving curves & sideslip cards to make it look good !

Off the top of my head a Cuban 8 could be:
Straight / Immelmann / Dive / Straight / Immelmann / Dive -
You should start and finish at the same level - and if looked at from the side the move looks like the loops of a bow... I'm gonna stop now I'm getting a headache !

And Neil - there were 48 visitors and only us three commented -- I saw my prop windmilling for a moment !! :D

Hamburger
10-21-2010, 04:58
Wouldn't you have to do a straight after the Immelmann?

flash
10-21-2010, 05:54
Dive is a straight & completes the manouevre otherwise it wouldn't make the figure 8 !!

Strangely Brown
10-21-2010, 06:07
That all depends on what you accept the Immelmann is: a half loop or a stall turn?

And the argument will continue with a Dive is not a Straight (i.e. maintain level flight) as it is a Dive (lose a level)...

Sorry, I know I'm stirring, but these arguments keep reappearing...

Bixby
10-21-2010, 06:16
I like the idea of a consolidated resource for this. Unfortunately I do not think I would be abel to add much value to the discussions outside of offering organizational tips & suggestions. There are many more with deeper aviation-savvy than I.

Hamburger
10-23-2010, 04:58
I wouldn't count the dive as a straight and if you want to play more historically, the Immelmann would be a stall turn/hammerhead. The modern Immelmann is a half turn, and we both know, no Eindecker can do a half loop!:p