PDA

View Full Version : Russo-American dogfihgts over Serbia, November 1944

Пилот
06-07-2013, 02:13
It could be interesting. Such fights occured in early November 1944 over city of Nish. Jaks vs. Lightnings.
I heard this story long time ago - but never from confirmed source. Now i bumped on something:

http://forum.worldofwarplanes.eu/index.php?/topic/3779-ally-dogfight-in-1944-over-yugoslavia-usa-vs-soviet-union/

Baldrick62
06-07-2013, 04:58
I seem to recall there are also records of Soviet fighters engaging USAAF aircraft over Poland in 1944-45.

Marechallannes
06-07-2013, 05:00
I read a story in Erich Hartmann's biography (written by two Americans) that he started a fight between Russian and American planes in the last months of the war.

It's written in the book that two formations of US and Soviet planes wached each other.

He dived throug the US-formation (or Soviet-formation?) and shot down a plane and dived away unrecognized. The comrades of the shot down plane were in the opinon that their comrade was shot down by the Russians (Americans) and started to fight each other.

Another proof for the distrust between USA and Russian right before the end of the war.

Baldrick62
06-07-2013, 05:02
Copy of Hartmann's account here - http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/world-wars/41154-1944-usaaf-vs-soviets.html

Marechallannes
06-07-2013, 06:31
That's exactly the passage I ment, Baldrick.

:thankyou:

Nightbomber
06-07-2013, 06:58
I seem to recall there are also records of Soviet fighters engaging USAAF aircraft over Poland in 1944-45.

This is the first time I would like to post a message, but the voice of reason is telling me "do not type, you moron, don't you remember? No religion NOR POLITICS!"
So I will stay silent and watch the thread :slysmile:

Marechallannes
06-07-2013, 07:49
Now I'm a little bit curious... :confused:

Baldrick62
06-07-2013, 08:36
Not specific to Western Allied air ops (RAF, SAAF, USAAF) in support of the Warsaw Uprising, and unfortunately lacking citations, but: 'Major problems were associated with the failure of air defense, but also with the eagerness with which Soviet fighters and artillery targeted American aircraft. Several American aircraft were downed, but the crews survived. From the Soviet perspective this was caused by the inability of U.S. pilots to stick to the strictly limited corridors, altitudes, and time windows. On several occasions U.S. aircraft became dispersed all over the region, which severely complicated Soviet efforts to control and track all foreigners. Soviet officers who had been too helpful to the Americans fell in disfavor, and one, Chief Air Marshal Alexander Novikov, who had received the U.S. Legion of Merit, was tortured and jailed after the war. The problem of Soviet attacks on all aircraft in sight was deemed so serious that when President Roosevelt flew to Yalta in February 1945, the American insisted on placing observers at all nearby anti-aircraft sites.'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Frantic_Joe

Nightbomber
06-07-2013, 08:57
Now I'm a little bit curious... :confused:

You know, my Friend, many Poles were longing for the outbreak of the Third World War those days, as the only way to repel the eastern liberators from our homeland...

csadn
06-07-2013, 12:38
I remember reading a magazine article covering a dustup between P-51s and Soviet fighters over Germany -- the Soviets lost at least one, for no US losses. Can't find the article, tho'.

HardRock
06-07-2013, 12:50
I have a print of a painting of the P-38 stalling with the Yak flying right over him. The artist put in the .50 cal strikes on both wing roots, the 20mm was apparently punching down the centerline. I got this over 30 years ago, wonder where it is now.

Baldrick62
06-07-2013, 13:00
I have a print of a painting of the P-38 stalling with the Yak flying right over him. The artist put in the .50 cal strikes on both wing roots, the 20mm was apparently punching down the centerline. I got this over 30 years ago, wonder where it is now.

From the first link posted - 'One of the four Yaks that really got it was the unlucky fellow whose course took him directly over the guns of a P-38 piloted by Bill Blurock who was in a stall condition and but a few yards under the Russian. A touch of the button and the Yak was literally ripped to shreds.'

HardRock
06-07-2013, 13:09
I was just referencing that incident with the mention of a painting done about it.

Baldrick62
06-07-2013, 14:32
No 'accusation' meant: as you hadn't directly mentioned it, I wasn't sure you were aware that the incident you were recalling in the print you couldn't locate, was actually in the link in this thread. I hadn't NB'd your use of the definitive article of 'the P38' rather than the indefinite article 'a P38'.