PDA

View Full Version : Barry made me do it!

Dal Gavan
05-20-2013, 00:29
G'day.

On the Friday before last young Barry (gully_raker) introduced me to WoG and I'm hooked- despite being shot down. I already had an interest in WWI and I build (or try to) 1/32 models of WWI aircraft, so it wasn't hard for him to convince me. I've just received my Duel Pack, with Brown's Camel and MvR's Dr.1 (both of which will be repainted in the next couple of days) and would have also received the WWI Rules and Accessories- only MILSIM's sent me the WWII set instead....:confused: They're sending the correct set ASAP.

As for me, I've just retired from Defence after 37 years (24 years army, then a contractor and APS), and have relocated to sunny Malua Bay. My particular military history interests are the period 1740 to 1865 and, of course, Australian military history.

Cheers.

Dal.

Flying Officer Kyte
05-20-2013, 01:16
On behalf of the Pilots based here in Dear old Blighty, welcome to the Drome Dal. It is always great to be able to welcome another of our mates from Down Under in the RAAF. Do pop into the Officers, Mess for a few cold ones and a chat with the chaps, who will be only too pleased to give you the lowdown on your Wing Commander, Baz.
Rob.

Nightbomber
05-20-2013, 02:39
Welcome from Poland, Dal. Barry's friends are always offered a special hard drink in the Mess:FOK:;)

crashx
05-20-2013, 04:04
Hello Dal, welcome to the group!!! :pint:

7eat51
05-20-2013, 05:21
Welcome from Illinois, Dal. :pint:

Thank you for your years of service in making the world a bit safer, and congratulations on your retirement. :hatsoff:

grumpybear
05-20-2013, 05:43
Hi from Alberta

Carl_Brisgamer
05-20-2013, 05:57
Welcome to the forum from Brisbane Dal.

I hope we can share a table down your way sometime.

Boney10
05-20-2013, 07:05
Welcome to you Dal, from Bristol uk

BBSuds
05-20-2013, 07:10
Hello Dal, welcome to the 'drome. Make sure you check out the SOG website. :thumbsup:

OldGuy59
05-20-2013, 07:45
Dal,
Welcome to the 'drome from Vancouver Island.

I know exactly how you got hooked on one game! The same happened to me.

Also, I am retiring from the Canadian Military this Summer, having served more than 36 years (mostly Air Force). Now I have to face getting a job to feed my new addiction, as my pension won't support a wife, a mortgage, as well as my "toys" and travel to conventions.

You will find many kindred spirits on this Forum, Dal.

Mike :-)

flash
05-20-2013, 11:22
Welcome to the 'drome Dal from a damp Sussex coast in southern England tonight - you don't know it yet but Baz has just cost you a fortune :lol:

Naharaht
05-20-2013, 21:54
Welcome to the Aerodrome, Dai, from here near Norwich in the united Kingdom.

gully_raker
05-20-2013, 22:58
:salute: G'day Dallas & glad you made the next most important decision after buying the Duel Pack & that is joining the Forum!:thumbsup:
You will find some great people visit here & they are all keen to assist new Pilots to the front & to the drinking that goes on in the Officers Club.:eek:
Mate, if you want to unload that WW2 Rules & Accessories pack I will buy it from you.

Incidently told Phil I have a WW2 scenario for Fridays Games night & you can fly one of my Beaufighters!.;)

Archidamus
05-20-2013, 23:37
Hi Dal - and welcome to the 'drome from here in the UK

Guntruck
05-21-2013, 00:28
Hi Dal, welcome from England.

Rat of Vengence
05-21-2013, 01:05
Welcome Dal :)

Dave

Biggles downunder
05-21-2013, 01:50
Great stuff - another Aussie on board - taking over the world one repaint at a time! :)

Doug
05-21-2013, 03:56
Welcome frome Toowoomba Dal.

somaliavet
05-21-2013, 05:50
Howdy from Kansas, Dal! Very nice to have you with us!

Dal Gavan
05-21-2013, 16:18
Thanks, everyone, for the warm welcome. And particular thanks for directions to the Mess- I take it that it's an All Ranks affair? I promise I'll be a good Aussie and not mention cricket in any future thread.

SOG?? Fair go, Bob, I've only just started WOG. Can I finish spending me pension on this one first?

Mike
Also, I am retiring from the Canadian Military this Summer,

Welcome to Old Civvie St, mate. It feels a little strange when you first leave, but it's amazing how quickly you get used to it. ;)

Barry, I've returned the WWII set that afternoon and I hope that the replacement WWI set will arrive today or tomorrow. I've started repainting my WOG Camel (as "W", 4 SQN AFC) and Dr.1 (Papenmeyer's 217/17), but will have to wait for some of Dom Skelton's national markings decals to arrive, to finish them. Will I be driving the Beau or riding shotty in the back?

A question, if I may? I haven't received my confirmation e-mail and (naturally) can't access all the features (such as the aircraft statistics files or expand photo' thumbnails). Not that I'm in a hurry, just curious. How long does it usually take?

Cheers.

Dal.

MoonSylver
05-21-2013, 16:45
Welcome Dal! As soon as Herr Oberst (Keith) or recruitment adjutant 7eat51 (Eric) stops by you'll be squared away. (not long I assure you). Glad to have you at the 'drome! :)

gully_raker
05-21-2013, 19:32
:salute: G'day Dal!
No you will be the Pilot of the Beau all by yourself.
I will have 2 Kittyhawkes to handle & Phil will have the Japs or if we can recruit another (Demil?) they can share!

See you Friday night!:thumbsup:

Coog
05-21-2013, 19:35
Welcome to the Aerodrome from Texas!

Dal Gavan
05-21-2013, 19:46
Cheers, Rob. As I said, no hurry. I've just been wandering about the shop. Unfortunately it seemed to work perfectly......

Barry, sounds good, mate. But I'll not be tempted into WWII- I just bought four more aircraft as it is. There's some interesting stuff available from other makers, too. Red Eagle's Nie.11 looks nice- and could always be done up as a Nie.16, as well.

Robby, thanks. As Flash said, this could prove expensive! But I can always blame Barry when the missus starts tapping her foot and glaring.

Dal

Carl_Brisgamer
05-21-2013, 21:29
Cheers, Rob. As I said, no hurry. I've just been wandering about the shop. Unfortunately it seemed to work perfectly......

Barry, sounds good, mate. But I'll not be tempted into WWII- I just bought four more aircraft as it is. There's some interesting stuff available from other makers, too. Red Eagle's Nie.11 looks nice- and could always be done up as a Nie.16, as well.

Robby, thanks. As Flash said, this could prove expensive! But I can always blame Barry when the missus starts tapping her foot and glaring.

Dal

Hi Dal,

My local shop still has a few balloon sets left - one balloon plus a French Nieuport 16 with Le Prieux rockets.

I am getting one today for 'Pip' from Geelong, $75 plus postage. I make no money on the sale, it's just I get it cheaper with my shop discount than you can buy online (sticker price is $89.95 + postage).

PM me if you are interested. Same goes for any other Australian players, the shop still has five balloons left.

Cheers,

Carl.

Flying Officer Kyte
05-21-2013, 23:26
I just checked Dal and nothing has come through yet. I would drop the recruitment adjutant 7eat51 (Eric) a PM. to find out what is going on.
Rob.

muzfish4
05-22-2013, 03:56
Welcome, mate.

I am only new here too, but I have found it to be a very welcoming place.

And please do feel free to talk about cricket all you like, though it may not make the most pleasant conversation given the state of the Aussie team at the moment. :crash:

7eat51
05-22-2013, 04:28
A question, if I may? I haven't received my confirmation e-mail and (naturally) can't access all the features (such as the aircraft statistics files or expand photo' thumbnails). Not that I'm in a hurry, just curious. How long does it usually take?

Hi Dal,

You should be good to go. Please let me know if you are having any problems.

Please feel free to discuss cricket. There are only three topics that are taboo here - politics, religion, and the Chicago Cubs.

Eric

Dal Gavan
05-22-2013, 05:11
Carl, thanks for the offer, mate, but I'll give it a miss for now. I spent a bit more than I intended at the shop today and had better curb my enthusiasm a bit.

Rob, all sorted now. Thanks for keeping an eye on things, mate.

Muz, I agree. There's few boards that are as friendly as this. By coincidence wwwiaircraftmodels is another- it must be something to do with the period.:) As for cricket, I'm not a fan- so promising to discuss it was no hardship! However, I am really looking forward to the Lion's tour later this year.

Thanks for your help, Eric

Dal.