PDA

View Full Version : Rise of Flight

Seiseki
09-10-2009, 03:21
http://riseofflight.com/i/gallery/screenshots/27.jpg
http://riseofflight.com/i/gallery/screenshots/39.jpg

Wow, I'm super hyped on this game right now, it looks so beautiful I just have to get it!
I saw a few videos on youtube and it's just stunning, the physics seem so very detailed, with airpressure, wind, temperature, etc.
It's all there, check out the video below

Youtube - Physics demonstration HD (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLQtBV73ofM)

If anyone is playing this or interested in it, send me a PM, I just bought it through Direct2Drive :)

Oberst Hajj
09-10-2009, 03:34
I play this Sim :D Or, I do when I get the chance! It is quite beautiful and the flight physics are very good. I've only been able to fly the first 4 training missions and a scant few free flight dogfights, but it is lots and lots of fun!

Seiseki
09-10-2009, 04:18
Cool!
I don't know what plane to buy first, the Fokker D.VII or the Albatross D.Va?
I know the Fokker is better, but I still like the albatross and perhaps the Fokker is too maneuverable for a rookie pilot..

Oberst Hajj
09-10-2009, 04:26
Well, I got the boxed game as my Bday gift this year. It came with the D.VII already. It's a sweet plane, but you really have to fly it. I've played more in the Spad XIII and it's very forgiving and easier to handle. Upward visibility in the D.VII is much, much better though!

Seiseki
09-10-2009, 05:22
Cool, and it seems I can already fly the D.Va which is nice.
Gonna have to check what other planes I can fly as well..

So far I've managed some very un-dramatic crashes when trying to take off, it's really annoying with the keyboard.
I also managed a really ugly landing, when underestimating the time it would take to slow down :D

I'm gonna loan a joystick from my dad and a trackIR from a friend for the weekend though, so that will be quite cool :)

edit: Finally managed to complete the mission with a pretty decent take-off, a very rough and bumpy landing, but without any broken parts on the plane :D

WilliamBarkerVC
09-10-2009, 06:15
Damn you PC owners and your excellent games! :)

I am a mac owner which is awesome for everything except games. And my xbox is limited in what games come out. I do have a flight game for my xbox and got a flight controller joystick with a throttle which is fun. It is a quasi-modern game with a hint of anime plot.

But to fly a biplane (or a triplane!) would be smashing!

LazyEyedPsycho
09-10-2009, 06:57
Hmmm... I think I may have to take a trip to get this. Who carries it? Is it from a big games developer or one of the "little guys"?

Seiseki
09-10-2009, 07:12
Hmmm... I think I may have to take a trip to get this. Who carries it? Is it from a big games developer or one of the "little guys"?

It's from a Russian Developer, I don't know anything about them so I think it's a small studio: http://www.neoqb.com/

Oberst Hajj
09-10-2009, 08:03
They are a small studio. The games can be picked up online as well as some major retailers. I ordered mine through www.gogamer.com (http://www.gogamer.com/searchresults.htm?keywords=Rise+of+Flight&categoryId=&x=0&y=0).

The flying in the game is excellent, but the "polish" of the game is a little lacking. The studio is taking the route of adding mods to the game for a small fee. Right out of the box you can only fly 2-4 planes (depending on where you live), but there are quite a few more that you can buy for around US$8.

This is most definitely a Simulator and not an arcade flying game.

nachinus
09-10-2009, 08:20
I'm waiting until the game grows and it's more polished, offers more options and has more planes available... partially because my current rig would have severe problems running it!. :)

Meanwhile, I'm playing the excelent Battle of Britain 2 (ww2) and the awesome Over Flanders Fields WW1 total conversion for CFS3. Both are really worth trying, and I wholeheartedly recommend them.

Seiseki
09-10-2009, 08:29
I agree that the game lacks polish and that the community might not be that big yet.
But that's one of the reasons I decided to buy the game and support the company..

Also damn it's one exciting game, I remember when I used to play Silent Hunter, afterwards I'd feel like everything was slowly floating up and down, up and down..
Now after playing RoF it's like I'm in a plane, leaning to the side, leaning backwards, diving down, leaning to the other side, looking down, etc :D
It's a really immersive game :)

Oberst Hajj
09-10-2009, 08:30
I've heard great things about OFF and nearly bought it while waiting for a short time for RoF. The high-ish cost of the mod for it turned me off. I know it has 100's of great planes to chose from, but it's still running off a very old underlying game.

RoF does need to grow some more, but I opted to get in on the ground floor. When you Johnny Comes Lately players join in, the rest of us will be ruling the sky downing most any thing in the air. :)

nachinus
09-10-2009, 09:19
OFF price has lowered its price quite noticeably (30$ now). When I bought it it was 50 bucks, pretty high-ish indeed. Thankfully, the dollar-euro change rates made it affordable.

Though CFS3 is old, i can assure yot that the graphics in OFF, specially clouds and terrain, don't feel like old at all. The worst thing graphically speaking are the cockpits when you compare them with RoF ones! Also, the campaign is pretty immersive and thoroughfully researched and documented.

I share your policy of supporting small companies promising games when 'taking off' (combat flight sim genre certainly needs some love and support), and I would think about getting RoF if my rig would be able to run it reasonably smooth, but I'm afraid that's not the case. :(

LazyEyedPsycho
09-10-2009, 09:24
Does RoF have on-line play or is it all campaign?

nachinus
09-10-2009, 10:45
Yes, it has MP, at least that's what they say in their web.

WilliamBarkerVC
09-10-2009, 11:39
Yes, it has MP, at least that's what they say in their web.

Maybe it's time to dual-boot my Mac...

WilliamBarkerVC
09-10-2009, 11:46
Just watched the videos and crashed around the websites. DAMN YOU PC GAMERS! :p

Seiseki
09-10-2009, 13:10
The game was super cheap for me as well because of the dollar -> Swedish Krona conversion.
Cost like half the cost of a regular game and it seems like I got 4 planes with it for free, from what I had heard the game only came with 1 plane and then you were supposed to buy additional ones in the store.

Oberst Hajj
09-10-2009, 17:06
At first it only came with the Spad and D. VII. But players were not happy about that so they added two more. What those two extra ones are depends on what county you are in or order from.

Seiseki
09-10-2009, 17:44
I'm so happy I got the D.Va because it's pretty :>

bsmith13
09-24-2009, 08:47
Do any of you who play RoF have anything to compare it to? I've played a lot of WWI flight sims over the years, starting with Red Baron by Dynamix. I'm currently playing Dawn of Aces/Flyboys on the Warbirds servers. How does it compare?

Oberst Hajj
09-24-2009, 09:01
I've not flown any WWI sims in years (okay, maybe decades!). I will say this about it though... the flight model and visuals are unparalleled in a sim. It is not a completed game. While every thing works, it lacks polish and content. Even so, it's a must have!

Seiseki
09-24-2009, 10:16
Yeah I agree, it really lacks polish, content and it comes with a lot of bugs..
But still, it feels real and authentic to fly, and the graphics and physics are awesome!

Belis4rius
09-25-2009, 11:41
Sorry to rain on the parade guys, but I wish I hadn't thrown my money at it.

Yes it is beautiful and the planes look very good, and that is where it ends. It quickly becomes repetitive using only the original scenarios and missions.

There is not much support from the developers at the moment and their site is a mess, again it looks pretty but the content is just not there. I really doubt that the game will survive for more development. I actually wanted to eventually play online with other people, I quickly found out that most 'pilots' are hard core flight sim players and the small amount of online servers reflect this in that there are no help buttons pressed for the more casual gamer. Only one of just over half a dozen has the easy mode for beginners and I haven't yet managed in three weeks to get a game. There are no pure dogfight lobbies so you have to fill up the current game before it can start and that can take literally ages, as I said, I have yet to get in on an online game.

At the very least you need a joystick, if you are into flight sims you might have TrackIR, if you do not have these two pieces of kit then prepare to die.

If you have no PC help on, you have to start the engine, close the radiators, open them, up the throttle, put some mix in, drop the mix, cock your weapons, try and get off the ground, watch the wind, throttle back, more rudder, less rudder, try and climb, don't yaw, climb again, less mix, open throttle, check map, find view buttons to left, to right, to the back, to the front, climb again, stop dive, throttle open...... bang, you are dead.......restart mission etc, etc.

If you do get it then pop into SimHQ and get advice and new missions as well as a quick dogfight mod to help you with the game.

In three weeks I have managed to shoot down three balloons and one two-seater.

Good Luck.

Oberst Hajj
09-25-2009, 12:57
I think content will come, they have already added quite a few planes. As George as said, it is not an arcade game. You need to put some real hours in learning to fly before going online. As with any sim, I would not play it with out a joystick. Track IR is a bonus, but not needed if you setup your controls right. That being said, you can build your own Track IR with a Wii remote for less then $30.

Seiseki
11-08-2009, 09:55
This game is just getting better and better!
Last patch with the Fokker Dr.1 and the Sopwith Camel was really sweet!

The Camel is awesome but has a really nasty spin that is quite tricky to get out of, but after some high altitude spin-recovery training I've learned how to get out of it :D

In the next patch they will add winter season, better key configuration and joystick profiles, improved graphics, gameplay and a lot more.

If anyone is still hesitating about this, try the demo for yourselves.
If you're still not convinced wait until the next patch or the patch after that.

Belis4rius
11-08-2009, 12:13
I am glad someone is happy with this, I have just about given up on it.

The patch was also supposed to stop the AI planes being snipers, which meant that in a 1 vs 1 they got you nine times out of ten. Also you could hit chunks out of AI planes and it did not affect them, not once did a 2 seater observer slump back into his cockpit.

I also noticed in some of the dogfights I created with a mod that even if I picked 5 friendlies vs two enemy I found myself fighting alone, my four buddies simply observing the scenery.

I know this sounds like a rant but I bought this to play online against other humans, that is not possible unless you are a seasoned sim pilot. Also the wait for a game to start and fill up is abnormal. One server plays with player aids and I have yet to manage a game on it, months after trying. I can jump onto Dawn of War or Company of Heroes and play all night, not with this game.

As I said before, it is beautiful to fly through with lovely airplanes, but after flying for 20 minutes just to be shot down as soon as the enemy appear is not my idea of fun.

This is a personal view of the game, and many people do like it, but if you are not a hardcore sim player, be warned.

Seiseki
11-08-2009, 12:54
I've experienced quite the opposite though..
I've never played a flightsim before and it haven't taken me that long to get a hang of how to play..

I play with full realism except the engine-warmup and friendly icons.
But these planes are so simple, it's pretty easy to learn how to fly them, their limits and such.
It just takes some effort compared to other games since the people who play online at the moment are pretty much the top players usually..

The player count has gone up considerable since the last patch though, probably due to the popularity of the Dr.1 and Camel.
I played a few hours each day and didn't score a kill for a whole week and then a few days ago I fly a camel online in a 3vs3 game, and manage to bring down 2 Dr.1's.
And the game after I'm in a huge furball with planes everywhere, I didn't manage to kill anything but the fight itself was really exciting since I felt tjat I was doing pretty good when maneuvering and such.
But then I stall into a spin too close to the ground when doing a tight turn, but I still had a big grin on my face even as my plane went straight down into the ground and my fuel tank exploded! :D

And I think to become an Ace of this game you have to accept that you're not one, until the day that you've finally got the experience and skill as an Ace.

Belis4rius
11-08-2009, 13:40
Fair enough, I might give it another look during the week.

Oberst Hajj
11-08-2009, 14:07
I think almost all of the heart ache about this game comes from people buying a flight sim and not expecting it to be a flight sim. I really love some of the other "simish" arcade flight games and they are lots of fun. It's just a different kind of game.

Belis4rius, I did feel your frustration at the higher learning curve in dogfights though. I improved vastly be playing a few rounds against the AI and NOT tring to shoot them down... just trying to stay alive and watch their tactics. Learn the planes you fly against and it becomes much easier!

bsmith13
11-08-2009, 15:30
I recently downloaded Red Baron and Red Baron 3D for Windows XP/Vista from gog.com. After you get used to the extremely dated graphics, Red Baron is a lot of fun to play.

Haven't checked out Rise of Flight yet, but I'm about to pull the trigger on Over Flanders Field...

Horse4261
11-08-2009, 19:34
I too have RoF and think it is excellent eye-candy. As a flight sim it is years beyond most everything else. My only problem with it is being solely an online game, meaning it requires an active internet connection to even boot up.

I am also not all that keen on having to drop extra money for new aircraft all the time. While I can understand the need for development funding I don't really see this as the way to go about it.

All in all, if the limitations are something you can live with it is a great flight sim and well worth the expense to escape reality.

Having also purchased Over Flanders Fields, I would have to say for money this a far better value over Rise of Flight. I can't remember any other WWI flight sim where you can fly the Scout and 1 1/2 strutter, not to mention the Roland CII.

Belis4rius
11-09-2009, 00:05
Maybe I just don't have the patience at the moment. I have several other projects on the table so can't spend the time to become better at it. So good luck to all who enjoy it.

Oberst Hajj
11-09-2009, 06:21
I looked at OFF, but in the end decided not to drop more money in an old and ever aging game then what the latest sim (RoF) was charging. The lack of initial planes is kind of a draw back, but the planes they release are very enexpinsive and you do not have to buy them unless you want to fly them... they are AI planes for free.

I'm afraid that adding more content and planes as the game matures is the future of the hardcore flight sim. There is just not enough customer base to do it any other way really.

Belis4rius
12-10-2009, 08:16
I have had it with this 'game', anyone wants to make me an offer PM me, I don't want to auction as per the rules and be bound to sell it for perhaps next to nothing. I also have the joystick to go with it.

Oberst Hajj
12-10-2009, 08:50
Put it up as a Buy It now item in the Classified section for what you feel it is worth.

thumper7458
12-10-2009, 10:46
I am a flight sim enthusiast and I have all of the gear to go with the hobby I.E Yoke, Pedals, Radio Stack, Track IR, Dual Monitors, is there a way to demo the game? From what I read it's a processor hog and I want to see if my machine will get bogged down

Belis4rius
12-10-2009, 11:07
I have no idea Stuart, my machine is not yet a year old and was built as a game rig so I personally do not have any problems running the game, best idea would be to check out the ROF forums http://riseofflight.com/Forum/ rather than ask this luddite :)

thumper7458
12-10-2009, 12:25
Thanks George,
For those who are interested a Demo is available

http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=2865

IRM
12-13-2009, 09:42
[QUOTE=bsmith13;4201]I recently downloaded Red Baron and Red Baron 3D for Windows XP/Vista from gog.com. After you get used to the extremely dated graphics, Red Baron is a lot of fun to play.
QUOTE]

I still play this too. It's been a favourite of mine ever since it was first released. There's a number of mods that upgrade the graphics and gameplay drastically. A Glide wrapper programme like DGVoodoo is a must to emulate the 3DFX cards the game was designed for (it looks fugly in DirectX mode).

The easiest and most stable mod I've found is the Hell's Angels Superpatch, others like the Western Front Patch is more comprehensive and adds many more planes (including flyable 2-seaters).
http://www.hellsangels.firstflare.com/main.htm

Rise Of Flight looks wonderful (think it uses the IL2 Sturmovik engine ?, also a great game) but the online-only thing really puts me off.

Oberst Hajj
12-14-2009, 11:20
RoF uses an all new from the ground up engine. The next connection really is not a big deal unless you have dial up.

Seiseki
12-18-2009, 07:58
You should keep your copy..
With the pace of 1 quite large patch each month, the game will be a completely new experience in a few months..
Just put it on your shelf and wait patiently..

You could also try playing IL-2 instead if you're into WWII, it's a great game :)

usmc1855
12-18-2009, 15:46
If I ever update the graphics card in my gaming computer, I'll have to pick this game up. From the ongoing discussion it appears that I'm missing out....

check6
01-23-2010, 15:02
i bought this sim, but it runs laggy on my new, and optimised for gaming (i have a really good nvidia card and good RAM for the video), and whats the real kicker is that it wont run on a pc with a moniter as small as my laptop (which has a nice sized screen) so i can't play it, nor would i want to.

i also find the key controls (not for plane control, for this i have a joystick) nowhere near as nice or easy as in Il-2.

richard m schwab
03-17-2010, 17:54
I would be happy just to get my copy working. It updates for ages and never loads! Anybody have a hint on what to do?
Rich

Oberst Hajj
03-17-2010, 22:40
Sorry Rich, mine works perfectly.

Max von Clickenhoff
03-19-2010, 03:48
Great fan of IL2, had many fun missions on line with some good friends from around the world. Just moved onto RoF and finding it a bit harder than IL2 but all that comes down to is the joystick settings....once I have mastered that I just may land with out Otto ( my mechanic / band master / batman ) pulling his hair out

richard m schwab
03-19-2010, 04:10
Tell me about it , i have tried every FAQ they offer on the subject and still nothing. The contact help if half Russian half English, that is always help full!
Rich