PDA

View Full Version : Site: Slogan: To Latin or Not To Latin

Oberst Hajj
05-03-2013, 06:47
During the poll to decide what the site slogan would be, many of you mentioned that you were prefer the slogan to not be in Latin. Now that we know what the slogan is, “Seize The Sky”, it’s time for you guys and gals to decide if it is in Latin or not. This poll is only open for three days, so place your vote now.

freebird-52
05-03-2013, 08:52
Latin just sounds cooler!

Flying Officer Kyte
05-03-2013, 09:01
I will pander to the proletariat.
Kyte.

Пилот
05-03-2013, 11:38
Roman Air Force was credited with no aerial victory ( ;) ). So, I'll vote for English slogan.

7eat51
05-03-2013, 12:01
Though I voted, I am really fine with either one.

Thanks for being responsive Keith.

MoonSylver
05-03-2013, 12:02
I just thought of something: It might be cool in in the logo the "main" slogan was in english, but small underneith it in a banner was the latin version? :confused:

Marechallannes
05-03-2013, 12:23
Ich bevorzuge es in englisch, Herr Oberst.

:FOK:

Lt. S.Kafloc
05-03-2013, 12:27
Most military motto's are in Latin. I find that best for me.

Timmo UK
05-03-2013, 13:47
I hated Latin at school and nothing has changed. The Latin is meaningless - unless you know the language so surely you going to have to keep explaining it in English for it to have any point beyond mere decoration. It also smacks of elitism and that to me is the anti thesis of WoG.

Seize the sky rolls of the tongue well enough.

Kermit
05-03-2013, 14:51
Ich habe nicht eine Präferenz. Aber ich habe für sie in Englisch. Vor allem, weil es zu gewinnen. :D

Honored and happy that the motto I suggested was liked by the majority of people.

Doug
05-03-2013, 15:56
For me it was a hard choise as both are good.

OldGuy59
05-03-2013, 20:58
"Per Ardua ad Astra" or "Through Adversity to the Stars"

The motto of the RAF and RCAF.

For me, it works in both, but I'd still like the "inclusiveness" of a language everyone needs to have translated. I'm curious to know how many people on our site have a mother tongue other than English, and that might be worth considering. Just looking at the "Recent Activity" listings, I'm seeing a few threads I can't read.

I ended up voting for the English, but I'm having second thoughts.

Mike :)

Naharaht
05-03-2013, 20:59
Since this is an international game and presumably there are many players who do not speak English, is it not fairer to put everyone at the same disadvantage and choose the Latin version.

Zakopious
05-03-2013, 23:01
When I took Latin in High School, We would say,
"Latin is a dead Language.
Dead as dead can be.
Latin killed the Romans.
And now its killing me."

Timmo UK
05-04-2013, 00:00
Whether or not English is folks first language it's the language the board communicates using, so I'm assuming everybody will get it pretty much straight away if it's in English rather than the select few who have a sound knowledge of Latin. I'd think about those who stumble over the board with a possible view to joining and the initial impression it gives, exclusive or inclusive?

(I thought the best RAF Latin motto they came up with unofficially was 'Unbendum Wemendum" for the folks who repaired them.)

flash
05-04-2013, 00:30
English is also the international language of aviation, though I don't see why we can't use both around a rotary engine logo ?!

Flashman
05-04-2013, 01:00

The thing is, however, we aren't the military. We're a group of enthusiasts for a boardgame.

Particularly as it's been said this will be used in a marketing sense to varying degrees, English is the path of least resistance and instantly understandable by anyone working in the forums primary language.

Sparky
05-04-2013, 01:56
The thing is, however, we aren't the military. We're a group of enthusiasts for a boardgame.

Particularly as it's been said this will be used in a marketing sense to varying degrees, English is the path of least resistance and instantly understandable by anyone working in the forums primary language.

For me if the Latin is used for main Slogan, then if possible within the Slogan the English translation would be present for the reasons stated by Flashman.

gully_raker
05-04-2013, 02:05
:D Whilst its nice to have mottos/slogans in Latin. It is much better to have something that hopefully everybody can read.
Voted therefor for the English version.

Пилот
05-04-2013, 03:11
Actualy, more people can read English than Latin. So, English is a much better choice here. And, if, for any reason need occurs for making slogan local, it could always easily translated to x language.

So (just as off-topic) you could post how would it sound in your mother langauages, other than English. In Serbian it would be, for example:

"Дохвати небо"

Bluedevil
05-04-2013, 04:50

That's right...so I voted latin ( and because i studied Latin and still have some love for it:p)

grumpybear
05-04-2013, 05:05
Though I voted, I am really fine with either one.

Thanks for being responsive Keith.

Ditto

richard m schwab
05-04-2013, 08:58
I was informed by a school guidance counselor, that i was too stupid to learn Latin!!!! Why start now? Seize The Sky!!

Rich

Nick_ace
05-04-2013, 12:30
I voted for the English slogan version.
I think the latin one sounds more cool, but more people can understand English then Latin so...

Nick

Archidamus
05-04-2013, 12:45
I vote for English - but if we can weave both English and Latin versions in somehow, that would be :thumbsup:

Jager
05-05-2013, 08:46
Missed formal voting, I see. Picked a bad time to be off-line.
Write in vote for English, please.
Karl

BloodyDavyCash
05-05-2013, 16:17
Yeah, I missed the 3 day window, too... I was busy playing Wings of Glory !!!! LOL ! But it looks as if my choice of ENGLISH took a handy lead..... :clap:

Flying Officer Kyte
05-06-2013, 00:22
Well lads it looks as if the preferers of English have done a Carpe Jugulum to get the slogan in English.
Rob.