PDA

View Full Version : Corsairs: Johnny Lightning

Dark Horse
04-29-2013, 01:40
Here are some pix of a couple of very nice looking Corsairs by Johnny Lightning. They look the real deal in WOG games and a snip at about $5.00 per plane which has to be cheaper than other options for a 1/144 Corsair. Originally released about 10 years ago, they are packaged with a different model plane as a set of 2 and they appear to still be fairly readily available. These Corsairs are the same as the previously reviewed JL Thunderbolt and Lightning, (they're very very frightening - ;) to the opposition!).

As with the Thunderbolt and Lightning, these Corsairs are pre-painted, pre-decalled diecast miniatures abd they are beautiful. Just peg a LITKO stand into one of the holes designed for the JL stand and you are ready to rock & roll with this pirate queen!

There are 2 paint schemes available and they both get a big "thumbs up!" from me!
:thumbsup:

Grey Knight
04-29-2013, 03:47
Those do look good.:thumbsup:

Baldrick62
04-29-2013, 04:56
You've really struck a gold mine with this range! I haven't seen them in the UK at all.

csadn
04-29-2013, 15:29
And this is why Ares needs to stay as far away as possible from "famous" aircraft -- who's going to spent $12 or more on a mini when it's available for $5?

Dark Horse
04-30-2013, 01:55
You've really struck a gold mine with this range! I haven't seen them in the UK at all.

I found a Johnny Lightning Panther tank in a local hobbyshop once-upon-a-time about 10 years ago, pre-painted in camo, diecast, movable turret (& wheels/tracks if I remember rightly) , in perfect 15mm (1:100) scale for about $17.00 which I was not prepared to pay.

So I did some internet investigating & found Shermans in Northern European green & also in Italian Front camo for the same price, as well as a Tiger. They would be perfect for Flames of War etc if you battle in 1:100 scale (which I don't). I think they were all about $3.50 each. They do (did?) other military stuff in other scales too.

But locating these planes was a real find (about $3.50 each then) & I imported a big box of them from USA. I have never found any more locally.

If they are out of production then I am surprised they are still around, but a quick look on ebay a couple of days ago showed quite a number around it mint/boxed condition. The trouble is that they all appear to be sold in America (the only place I have seen them for sale) and the postage from there seems to be really prohibitive (at least I think so).

I think they are made in China, and rather bizarrely have a copyright statement on the underwing on all the planes. This one says "F4U-A1 Corsair (TM) produced under a licence from Northrop Grumman Systems Corporation", as can be seen in the above photos.