PDA

View Full Version : Destroy the supply ships!

gully_raker
04-26-2013, 18:36
Preamble: As Halvo & the boys were away North on school holidays I thought I would use our club games night to try out my first Solo Game using RB/Blackronan's rules & decided to use my new Beaufighters in a WW2 scenario loosly based on the actions around the Bismark Sea when USAF & RAAF forces destroyed a convoy of Jap ships carrying supplies to their forces in New Guinea. In this scenario 2 Beaus were sent on a mission to destroy 2 freighters landing supplies on Mullumgimbi Island which was defended by 2 Zeros & 2 A firing Machineguns near the Wharf. One Freighter was unloading Avgas in drums onto barges whilst the one at the wharf was unloading ammunition. I flew the 2 Beaus & AI flew the Zeros.

30 Squadron RAAF was established in early 1942 at Richmond Air Base in NSW & after some months intensive training on their new Beaufighters were sent to Townsville Qld to carry out Convoy patrols & other duties. When considered combat ready the Squadron was sent to Port Morsby in New Guinea to harras Japanese Shipping & strafe ground forces & Airfields.

30 Sqd had now been in Morsby for some 6 weeks when the CO called two of his best crews to a briefing.
" 'Mornin Lads! got an interesting job for you for dawn tomorrow. One of our Catalinas spotted 2 Jap freighters heading for Mullumginbi definately carrying Fuel & Ammo to their base there. Now I want you Lofty to lead the mission & Frank will fly as your wingman. Set out as the sun comes up & with a bit of luck & the quiteness of the Beaus sleeve valve engines you should catch the little yellow "B"s off guard.

Lofty Hill called his crew of Navigator Mike Connor & Co Pilot/Bomadier "Ginger" Meggs plus Frank Findlay, Nav. "Curley" Bryden & Bomadier Barney Buckworth together to nut out the mission.
"Frank I want you to run interferance on any Nip aircraft in the Area whilst my mob will concentrate on the ships. Of course as we go in you hit anything you can but your main job will be to keep them off my tail!"

As the two Beaufighters approached the Island they saw as expected the two freighters in the harbour. One was alongside the wharf & the other was unloading Fuel drums onto barges to be carried to the beach for transport.

As they approached the Ships Lofty saw a mottled camo Zero on the landing strip apparently readying for take off & another grey Zero flying on the far side of the Island. There were also 2 AA Machinegun nests around the wharf.
"Tally HO! Chaps, lets sock it to them before we get jumped. Frank pass behind me & have a crack at the one at the wharf & then go after that taxiing Zero"

Swooping in Lofty aimed his guns at the two barges which were loaded with petrol drums.

"BINGO!" shouted Lofty as he saw his cannon & machinegun bullets rip into the Barges ".

Frank Findlay now wheeled his aircraft around & attacked the freighter at the wharf whilst both Beaufighters suffered hits from the Machineguns on the Wharf.

Franks crew warned him of a grey Zero coming in from his starboard rear so he opened the throttle & headed for the mottled Zero which had now climbed towards them. Meanwhile Lofty had flown inland to check the enemy aircrafts position & to prepare to immleman to return to attack the ships when safe to do so. However the mottled Zero in usual Jap fashion made a head on pass & they exchanged fire with the Beaus heavier armament causing the most damage.

Frank now headed towards the grey Zero & again relying on the Beau's superior weapons & strength exchanged close range shots.

He was alarmed to hear a cry from behind him as Barney yelled "Im hit!". A Jap machine gun bullet had penetrated the Beaus fuselage & passed through the meaty part of his thigh. Curley quickly got to him & checked the damage & compressed the wound with a field dressing. "He'll be OK skipper" called Curley, "Just hope you fixed that little Nip!" Sure enough the last exchange had sent the Zero crashing into the Island. However the Beaufighter had suffered terminal damage & glided out over the ocean to ditch with the crew taking to their rubber dingy to await either rescue or capture.
In the meantime Lofty had closed on the other Zero & again at close range had blasted the Jap fighter from the sky. Now unimpeaded by enemy aircraft he again turned to attack the freighters.
As he straffed the one unloading at the wharf a lucky shot caused the Ammunition on the ship to explode!

Lofty had radioed to Frank to head for home with his wounded crewman whilst he made another attempt to sink the final freighter which had been unloading the fuel drums but was dismayed to hear the aircraft was ditching.
"I will radio for a Cat to come & get you fellows" After two passes he was rewarded to see it on fire & settling into the waters of the bay. "Job done he thought, just hope the boys ditch safely!" "Now back to Base to report & have a few cold beers to celebrate!"

After landing & checking that indeed their mates had been rescued by a PBY & that Barney was not serverly injured the successful crew posed for a photograph to celebrate a most sucessful mission. 2 ships, 2 barges & a Zero to their credit.

Left to Right "Lofty" Hill. "Ginger" Meggs & Mike Connor.

The Allied damage bill:

AA COMMENTRY:
As stated this was my first attempt at a Solo Game & I was suprised at how effective the system was. The 2 Zeros were most effective & if it had not been for the superior armament of the Beaufighters it could have been even closer. Once the Zeros were dispatched the remaining effective Beau which had suffered min damage was able to complete the destruction of the ships notwithstanding the chance of further damage from the MG's.
I allocated the Freighters 20 points of Damage but would still have been successful if they were 25 pts. A lucky Explosion card helped. The Barges were only 5 points as the ones used by the Japs were pretty flimsy.
All in all I really enjoyed my first Solo experience & got through it fairly easily.:D
Incidently you might notice I was using normal scout bases for my Beaus as both boxes were missing the Aircraft Base & Card. All other items Pegs & manouver decks were OK.

richard m schwab
04-27-2013, 04:08
Barry

Very nice AAR!:thumbsup:

Rich

Marechallannes
04-27-2013, 05:26
Great first WW II solo mission, Barry!

I like the historical background story and the add of the historical photos.

This is what the Beaufighters are for. Strafe and terror Jap troops, positions and ships.

Without altitude rules & AI pilots the Zeroes aren't that dangerous although they maneuver really dangerous, especially when they are behind you. I learned that lesson too in my WW II solo games.

Funny, two days ago I played a Beaufighter scenario too with my gaming buddy, Markus. Unfortunately we couldn't finish it.

...and please ask the Oberst to transfer this thread in the WWII section. We need this jewel of an AAR right there. ;)

Nightbomber
04-27-2013, 06:08
:clap: Barry! A fantastic performance of yours. As it's your first WGS solo session you deserve a :medal: and welcome to the club!

The rules are indeed effective and the AI enemies can be tough.

I can not believe you got the incomplete models. How come?

gully_raker
04-27-2013, 06:34
:clap: Barry! A fantastic performance of yours. As it's your first WGS solo session you deserve a :medal: and welcome to the club!

The rules are indeed effective and the AI enemies can be tough.

I can not believe you got the incomplete models. How come?

Thanks for the Rep Andrezj!
It was really weird as I received two different Beaus & both were missing the card & stand. Keith has very kindly arranged for Ares to send the missing bits direct. So far I have not heard of anyone else having the same problem but I cant believe I was the only one.:eek:

Carl_Brisgamer
04-27-2013, 06:39
:thumbsup: Great AAR Barry, well done that man!

calm
04-27-2013, 08:45
Great AAR Barry !!!

What solo rules did you use ?

The ones under Downloads/World War II/Scenarios/Solo Rules ?

Again Great AAR, makes me want to play solo, to get used to flying the heavy fighters and bombers :)

Flying Officer Kyte
04-27-2013, 13:18
Yes Barry, your AAR certainly has everything one could wish for.
As Stormkahn has started to turn me to the Dark side you may see an AAR from myself before long. Dave has left a Hurricane for me to practice with, and I am starting to look longingly at all those old Nexus aircraft that I never bought whilst they were readily available.
Rob.

gully_raker
04-27-2013, 18:47
Great AAR Barry !!!

What solo rules did you use ?

The ones under Downloads/World War II/Scenarios/Solo Rules ?

Again Great AAR, makes me want to play solo, to get used to flying the heavy fighters and bombers :)

Yes Carlos they are the Richard Bradley/Blackronan rules for WW2.

calm
04-27-2013, 19:06
Yes Carlos they are the Richard Bradley/Blackronan rules for WW2.

Thank you, Barry !

Marechallannes
04-28-2013, 00:02
Barry, how did the Beaufighter rear gunner his job?

When I fight versus the Bf110, the shots were mostly blocked by the rear gun blind spot.

gully_raker
04-28-2013, 16:35
Barry, how did the Beaufighter rear gunner his job?

When I fight versus the Bf110, the shots were mostly blocked by the rear gun blind spot.

:D G'day Sven!
The Aussie Beaufighters did not have a rear gun. They just used the nose armament & the chap in the rear bubble took photos & did other stuff. They bombed & straffed & acted as heavy fighters so to be historically accurate I did not use a rear gun.

ptownhiker
04-29-2013, 03:46
That was an enjoyable AAR. I especially liked the historical photographs mixed in with your AAR photos.

Halvo
05-16-2013, 00:56
Ha so this is what happens when you go on leave, you take the Beaus out and knock over ships without me! This map and the mini ships make me want to paint my hurricanes and bf 109s then find a nice pic of the British countryside and fight out the battle of Britain. Got to try the solo rules

Great AAR love the memoir style of commentary it sounds like you were there.

Cheers Chris