PDA

View Full Version : confused about maneuver card symbols

troubleshootah
04-26-2013, 15:31
Hi there

Just started reading the rules for wings of war fire from the sky. I'm kind of confused regarding the maneuver cards and what their symbols mean. Specifically card E14. It looks like a regular sideslip but it has a steep marker on it. Any clarification would be great.

Thanks.

Indie55
04-26-2013, 15:51
Hi there

Just started reading the rules for wings of war fire from the sky. I'm kind of confused regarding the maneuver cards and what their symbols mean. Specifically card E14. It looks like a regular sideslip but it has a steep marker on it. Any clarification would be great.

Thanks.

Hi Dave.

The "Steep" marker on the sideslip card means it's a difficult maneuver. So you can't play it directly before or after another difficult maneuver (such as a climb, dive or stall).

Not all sideslips are difficult maneuvers, it depends on the specific aircraft.

Hope that helps.

Tom.

troubleshootah
04-26-2013, 16:15
What are the advantage of doing as steep side slip? Why would I not want to simply do as regular side slip ? If no advantage to doing a steep side slip then why it's it in the deck?

TGalante
04-26-2013, 16:30
I personally viewed this move as a stall to the left or right. There is not as much forward movement.

Indie55
04-26-2013, 16:41
Dave, as you rightly point out, there is also a non-steep side slip. In fact, there are 4 side slips in total. Steep and normal left, and steep and normal right. If all side slips were normal, you could activate both lefts, for example, one after another, without penalty. The fact that one of them is a steep card means you're restricted to playing a normal (non-steep) card before or after the steep side slip. It basically just adds a little bit of difficulty if you want to execute two side slips in a row, in the same direction.

Indie55
04-26-2013, 16:45
An important thing to remember, it is NOT classed as a stall. The stall is a short, steep forward card.

troubleshootah
04-26-2013, 17:03
That sounds odd.

CappyTom
04-26-2013, 18:40
What are the advantage of doing as steep side slip? Why would I not want to simply do as regular side slip ? If no advantage to doing a steep side slip then why it's it in the deck?

Which plane or maneuver deck are you talking about?

Thomas

troubleshootah
04-26-2013, 18:58
Indie55 you have clarified things. But couldn't I just alternate between steep and non steep left sideslips forever? Further, what condition would exist where I couldn't just play the normal sideslip and then play a steep card? It really is the only thing in the rules i don't get. I am playing wings of war and was mainly referring to the h deck. OK just bought the box that comes w/ no minis. I'll be play testing it tomorrow.

troubleshootah
04-26-2013, 19:34
Also why does the set contain stuka counters? Thankjs

Never mind, got it

OldGuy59
04-26-2013, 20:37
Dave,
My very first game was flying a Sopwith Snipe against a Fokker D.VII. The steep side-slip (I actually refer to this card as a "side-slip", and the other card as a "drift".) was instrumental in trying to stay on the D.VII's tail. The distance to the side the card allowed me to maneuver was frustrating the other player, as he tried to out-turn me.

So, flying other planes since, I miss the option of having this maneuver available. Having different maneuver decks is supposed to emulate the varying maneuverability of different planes. Now that I have flown, and flown against, other planes, I am trying to remember which can spin on a wing-tip (Dr.1), and which have the trajectory of a high velocity brick (SPAD XIII).

Enjoy the differences in the decks, try different tactics when you fly, and you'll find occasions when all the maneuvers have their place (and also when you'll desperately look for a maneuver that isn't in the deck you're using when you need it).

Mike :-)

Indie55
04-26-2013, 22:50
Dave, I'm sure it'll all become clear when you play.

Mike, (and anyone else interested in the clarification), Dave was asking about WGS (WW2). He mentioned card E14. So I got my E Deck out and looked though it.

Unlike WGF (WW1), the side slip cards have identical arrows, so your aircraft will end up in exactly the same place with either the steep or the normal manoeuvre.

So yes, you could continually play Left Side Slips, alternating between steep and normal (not the best strategy I've seen). What you couldn't do is Climb - Left Side Slip - Left Side Slip - Dive.

You may not come across many situations where you'll be hindered by this card. However, you have to consider the unexpected.

You're flying along, generally minding your own business. You side slip to the left and plan another left side slip, this time using the remaining steep card. Then the enemy outmanoeuvres you and you need to take drastic action. This is when you're unable to play any other steep cards. No climb or dive to get out of trouble!!

Tom.

troubleshootah
04-26-2013, 23:20
Thanks, indie. That makes perfect sense.
Good hunting

Indie55
04-26-2013, 23:29
You too, Dave. Unless you're hunting me, obviously :hmm:

richard m schwab
04-28-2013, 06:01
Dave

This one made me find an E deck, which i have never used . The E deck is used by the KI-61 and i think KI-100 family. I have a hunch this is an attempt to use the KI-61`s superior low speed handling. Here is a side by side comparison done by the US Navy during the war. The only true comparison is with the FM-2 Wildcat. The other planes in the trial are later variants of the F4U, F5F, F7F and F8F.

Rich

troubleshootah
04-29-2013, 23:08
This is great stuff. Played first time last night and it BC was pretty fun.

Cheers

QUOTE=richard m schwab;217627]Dave

This one made me find an E deck, which i have never used . The E deck is used by the KI-61 and i think KI-100 family. I have a hunch this is an attempt to use the KI-61`s superior low speed handling. Here is a side by side comparison done by the US Navy during the war. The only true comparison is with the FM-2 Wildcat. The other planes in the trial are later variants of the F4U, F5F, F7F and F8F.

Rich[/QUOTE]

CappyTom
04-30-2013, 02:22
So how did it go? Who won what were each of you flying?
:thumbsup:
Thomas