PDA

View Full Version : When do you feel WWII started?

Kermit
04-25-2013, 10:46
Many people have a majority view on when World War II though some have a different view.

1931 when Japan invades Manchuria
1933 Hitler comes to power
1937 Japan invades China
1939 Germany invades Poland
1941 Germany attacked Russian & Japan attacked the United States

I would have put this into a poll but it appears that I don't have the 'security clearance' to do so. So, please post your comments below as to which one you feel was the start of World War 2. If you have a different date, please feel free to comment as well.

Baldrick62
04-25-2013, 12:03
You 've forgotten 1938 - German invades Czechoslovakia as the first European domino to fall and show the impotence of Britain and France, and 1919 - the victorious Entente powers at the Versailles Armistice talks of the Great War assure German nationalist resentment and economic ruin by 'squeezing Germany until the pips squeak'.

Flying Officer Kyte
04-25-2013, 12:18
I have now posted a Poll for this on your behalf JC.
Rob.

Nightbomber
04-25-2013, 12:21
I am afraid national oriented points of views will prevail. I would not say Czechoslovakia and 1938 mark the beginning of war, for Hitler's gains in Austria and Czechoslovakia were the outcomes of power politics and were aimed rather to retain peace/buy time in a way (Munich!), than trigger a war, however both gains (especially Czechoslovakia) gave Hitler a strong foundation for further plans.
September 1939 is the most exact date, for in this month Germany, Poland, England and France found themselves in the state of (sometimes strange) war.
I accept any criticism for my "national oriented" point of view.
Antony Beevor's last book of WWII deals with the starting date problem. Must run through it.