PDA

View Full Version : Fighting the Red Baron

Belis4rius
05-30-2010, 12:37
For anyone who can receive Channel 4 (UK) they have a programme on 4 June where they put two modern fighter pilots from the RAF Red Arrows through some WWI challenges, photo recce and artillery spotting in planes of the period the climax is a dogfight between the two pilots.

IRM
05-30-2010, 12:47
Sounds interesting, I'll have to look out for that.

AlgyLacey
05-30-2010, 13:11
Good looking clip

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/fighting-the-red-baron/video/series-1/episode-1/first-principles

IRM
06-04-2010, 05:17
Just thought I'd post a reminder that'll come up on today's home page about this, plus a rather smart still from it of what your average RFC pilot really doesn't want to see when he looks over his shoulder:)

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=105&pictureid=3938

flash
06-04-2010, 11:15
Thanks for the tip George - i'd have missed that otherwise - now programmed to record.
And Iain that is a cracking picture - never mind average I don't think any RFC pilot would want to see that view over his shoulder !

Belis4rius
06-04-2010, 14:47
Just watched the programme.

The good point for me was there was some nice aerial footage of WWI aircraft, apart from that I was disappointed.

The photo recon and artillery spotting was pretty perfunctory and basic, also they used an SE5 for the artillery spot not a two seater. There was a continual carping about countering the 'Red Baron' which gave the impression that the main focal point of the British air effort was to kill Richthofen. Not one word about Boelcke being the real father of aerial combat.

And as for the final dogfight, only once did it show a combat manouvre and they chose an SE5 against the Junker ground attack aircraft.

Overall a disappointing hour and a half for me. Maybe I just expect too much. But the Richthofen angle was a complete red herring.

Foxley
06-04-2010, 15:41
Thanks Belis4rius for the heads up on that program.

just watched fighting the red baron:) I quite enjoyed the aerial photography and the beautiful SE5a. Overall it gave a general feel for the period and what it must have been like. It was nice to see the AVRO 504 and the Bristol fighter, even a glimpse of a real Camel and Fokker Dr1, plus CGI Albatri

I think the program was geared towards the average Joe, and actually focused on Albert Ball, James McCudden as well as 56 SQN (with their 401 Kills) rather than the red baron for a change. Even Voss was mentioned in his historical dogfight with the 56 (Voss was a better pilot than the Baron apparently, what does that mean? possibly a topic for a thread?). They also correctly explained how Ball was killed in an accident after shooting Lothar down.

Overall not bad, great if you knew nothing about WW1, good that they got so many things right for the history buffs. The demo of photo/recon was good, Artillery spotting mission was strange in that they used an SE5a to do it, I had assumed that this was the role of two seaters am I wrong?. However, the dogfight was a not a good example, an SE5a v Junker 2 Seater, which was very disappointing.

worth watching I think

Foxley

Guntruck
06-05-2010, 01:12
The aerial shots of the Shuttleworth aircraft were good, but after the first 20 minutes decided to 'fast forward' through the waffle to the flying bits.

Was interested in the Junkers replica - anyone know its background and where it is based?

flash
06-05-2010, 08:32
I thought it was ok - it lived up to the synopsis of two ex RAF fighter pilots replicating WW1 flying tasks and gave a taste of the period to those unfamiliar with it (and I'm no expert !) At least it showed some of the types flown at the time and that it wasn't as easy as it looked.
Nice they tipped their hat to Voss too though didn't hear them mention that apparently he also hit all of the planes that were involved in that furball !

IRM
06-05-2010, 09:49
There's a good CG recreation of Voss's epic last fight here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJxI5PyD6yI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC2Hy3dLM7k

Naharaht
06-06-2010, 12:35
I was disappointed with the programme because it only mentioned a few types of aircraft. How could they not even mention the Sopwith Camel? They had intercoms in the two-seaters but did not mention that it was extremely difficult for the actual WWI fliers to communicate. The best bits were getting the modern pilots to attempt the PR and artilliary direction missions.