PDA

View Full Version : AAR SND Week 4: I'm The Elevator Man

csadn
04-19-2013, 13:38
Week 4 sees Yet Another Experiment -- someone was complaining about how the standard altitude rules do not allow for maneuvers while climbing/diving. I wanted to see if this added anything to the game beyond another layer of cruft.

The rules adjustment: Any non-diamond maneuver may have a climb attached to it; however, if this is done, either a stall, or a dive, must follow (representing lost velocity from the climb). A diamond maneuver may itself have a climb attached to it; however, the non-diamond maneuver which must follow it cannot (again, having to regain lost velocity. Dives may be attached to any maneuver, and need not be followed by any other specific maneuver (save that described in the existing rules).

Units:
Entente: Hanriot HD.1 A-deck
Central Powers: Albatros D.V

Results: Getting shots on target was far more difficult, as it was a rare event to have both units within range and at similar altitudes. Victory went to the Hanriot, finally, altho' it was a *very* near-run thing -- the Hanriot had one each of Pilot Hit and Engine Hit, and was at 2 HP when it finally blew off the Albatros driver's head (2 Pilot Hit results -- I use "draw and return").

Entente victory. (Barely.)

I only had time for the one experiment, as I was attending an auto race that day as well; so I'll need to experiment further; also, some testing by folks who aren't me would be helpful. But it seems to work -- it just makes the games noticeably longer, as units are forever whipping past each other at different altitudes (one wonders if this is why the standard alt. rules are so clunky...).

[Bonus points to anyone who gets the reference in the title without looking it up. >;) ]