PDA

View Full Version : Best WWI PC games?

Colmanspig
05-25-2010, 08:09
And what spec do you need to play them?

I've just been given the nod to get a new PC. we are ditching TV cable the lot, TV lience, just going to watch BBC i player and 4 on demand, and lisern to radio. Bu this new computer might aswell indulge my flying needs to boot!

check6
05-25-2010, 08:39
Over Flanders Fields, Beyond Heaven and Hell

see why here: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1408

its a good one, and it doesn't take a super computer to run (dang ROF)

IRM
05-25-2010, 09:03
There's also Third Wire's First Eagles, which is very much "sim-lite" (straight out of the box anyway, there's loads of upgraded flight models, missions/campaigns and add-on planes around), but great fun and less than a tenner to download.

There's also an older sim called Red Baron 3D still around (and still my favourite), but it takes a bit of work to get it running on modern PCs (and you need an emulator for the old Glide cards to get the best out of it, it looks horrible in DirectX mode). The Full Canvas Jacket mod puts it almost on a par with the IL-2 Sturmovik series, and it's campaign mode is still to be bettered IMO.

Guntruck
05-26-2010, 00:06
I'm with Andy on this one - Over Flanders Fields: Beyond Heaven and Hell. Got mine last Friday - wife didn't see me all weekend :D

It needs Microsoft's Combat Flight Simulator 3 as it uses some files from it, but it is vastly superior to anything I've played before. You can pick up CFS3 from Ebay cheaply now.

Papavader
05-26-2010, 00:41
What about "WIngs" ;), it runs on every PC!
With the right emulator,..;)

Seriously; what about "Rise of Flight" The First Great Air War!
I heard much good thinks about it.
But I think "Over Flanders Fields" is better.
I saw many videos on You tube.

MfG

Andreas

Colmanspig
05-26-2010, 03:52
thanks for the replys

What specs do you needs for over flanders fields (CFS)
i've got a computre thats about 5 years old

check6
05-26-2010, 08:24
system requirements are here

http://www.overflandersfields.com/sysreq.htm

though i suspect you might not meet them, and even if you do, a five year old computer is not the best steed to be playing games on.

Rick57
05-26-2010, 10:04
Gosh, I was so impressed with "Over Flanders Fields: Between Heaven and Hell" that I ordered it immediately -(along with CFS3.)

Thanks check6. :)

The core game has over 3200 historically accurate skins for 39 different aircraft. That alone is a great painting aide.

Then there is the "Hat In The Ring" Expansion which adds 6 or 7 more aircraft and pushes the available skins to 4000+.

A very beautiful game indeed.

Guntruck
05-26-2010, 10:38
What about "WIngs" ;), Seriously; what about "Rise of Flight" The First Great Air War!
I heard much good thinks about it.

Isn't this the game that is good but only has a limited number of aircraft? I think OFF offers more bang for your buck.

check6
05-26-2010, 11:38
yes Rise of flight is that game. it charges you to get more planes than the Fokker DVII, ALbatross DV, Nieuport 28 and Spad XIII

Horse4261
05-26-2010, 12:24
Having both Rise of Flight and OFF, I would have to recommend Over Flanders Fields and it's expansion. More aircraft, decent graphics and wider historical range. RoF is great eye candy and a great program for the hard core flight simmer, the drawbacks are too many IMHO anyway.

csadn
05-26-2010, 22:59
What sort of controls do these games use? I tried to play one which used the keyboard alone, and couldn't get it to work properly (who flies an airplane with a keyboard?).

Papavader
05-27-2010, 00:58
Isn't this the game that is good but only has a limited number of aircraft? I think OFF offers more bang for your buck.

Yes that is the bad point about , "Rise of Flight"...
A terrible idea, to limt the number of aircraft!!!!! :mad:
But this kind of marketing, to buy download contend, get more and more to a normal case!
For me, it is a bad economic development :(

This is one reason for me that "Over flanders field" is the better one, and I saw many nice videos on you tube!

MfG

Andreas

Rick57
05-27-2010, 09:49
What sort of controls do these games use? I tried to play one which used the keyboard alone, and couldn't get it to work properly (who flies an airplane with a keyboard?).

Chris,

The game requires MS Combat Flight Simulator 3. OFF totally revamps CFS3.

As to controls, a joystick is required. I'm guessing that a keyboard is also used.

Rick
:)

Horse4261
05-27-2010, 10:19
Both RoF and OFF:HitR use a joystick for basic flight control and keyboard for supplemental inputs. Again my suggestion is OFF and the expansion Hat in the Ring for over all cost and playability. Both have multi-player online aspects but I have not used it with OFF yet.

Rick57
05-28-2010, 12:53
OFF arrived in just days from Livermore, California. CFS3 has yet to arrive.

So, quick delivery at least if you're on the west coast.

Rick