PDA

View Full Version : Best WWI plane

Air Battle Mgr
05-24-2010, 15:01
I now have the 'Famous Aces' and 'Watch your Back' sets and a dozen assorted miniatures on the way.

My question is a tough one probably to answer, and I would appreciate all opinions.

If you are going to play only one plane from these 2 sets (cards or minis) what gives you the best chance to win and why? If you wish you can advise based on what is the best plane to counter the other player (e.g. I am going against a Fokker DR1).

Also, if you are fighting more than 1 aircraft, is there a best solution aircraft?

Thank you,

Air Battle Manager
Timmy

Pooh
05-24-2010, 15:14
Since you will be flying allies, I believe there are 3 candidates.
1. Spad XIII It is very tough & fast. You can't even pretend to turn with a DR1 but rather the tactic is to fly at it, take your shot, fly away, turn around and do it again. I've had some success with this.

2. Sopwith Snipe This is a very late war plane and while not as fast as the Spad, it can hold its own in a turning dogfight with a DR1. It is also tougher & faster than the DR1. IMHO it probably is the best aircraft to fight a DR1 with if you want to win.

3. Sopwith Camel This is the classic match up, Dr1 vs. Camel. The DR1 is slightly more agile but the Camel can hold a tight turn longer, is tougher and faster. If I were buying 1 plane to fight a DR1, this would be it. The Snipe is a little more powerful but the Camel has the mystic. After all, who can top Snoopy vs. the Red Baron (or Brown vs. the Red Baron if you must).

Pooh

Air Battle Mgr
05-24-2010, 16:01
Thank you. I especially appreciated the tactics advice.

However, I did not mean to imply I will always fly on the Allied side -- I am interested in opinions of both sides. Tactical advice for the best Central Powers aircraft would be appreciated.

rapier1642
05-24-2010, 17:07
It is really a matter of taste in terms of of the Game. Optimally the two best planes in the game are the two latest models of the war, the Sopwith Snipe and the Fokker D.VII. If you just wish to discuss those two sets. My personal choices are the Sopwith Camel, and Hanriot HD.1 for the allies, and the Fokker Dr.1 for the central powers. If you mix two seaters into it.. The Airco DH.4 with A/A guns, is a beast.

CappyTom
05-24-2010, 17:39
Those are good points and you are right about their abilities. The real test is which plane fits you. As you fly each one, one will fit your flying style. You will start to connect with those planes and you will win more with them as you are comfortable with their certain abilities. That is what makes this game so much fun. Hope that helps.

Tom

Air Battle Mgr
05-24-2010, 18:23
If you mix two seaters into it.. The Airco DH.4 with A/A guns, is a beast.

The few games I have played I have used the AIRCO DH4 just for that exact reason. I figured I needed 6 O'Clock protection as I learn the game. However, its agility leaves something to be desired.

I need to learn to fly a one of the better turners that have been mentioned this far.

Air Battle Manager
Timmy

krolik
05-24-2010, 19:56
Wait until the Bristol Fighter shows up.:D

csadn
05-24-2010, 22:55
If you are going to play only one plane from these 2 sets (cards or minis) what gives you the best chance to win and why? If you wish you can advise based on what is the best plane to counter the other player (e.g. I am going against a Fokker DR1).

Well, barring the "superfighters" (D.VII; Snipe), my preferred Entente unit is the A-deck Hanriot -- decent turn of speed; has 90-degree turns (but only one) in each direction; hit points just above average; climbs like an angel with a bottle rocket up its backside; and with the A-deck it will "float like a butterfly, sting like a BUS". >:)

Central Powers: For the sets you have, I'd take the Albatros from _FA_; the Dr.I is just too bloody slow.

Colmanspig
05-25-2010, 02:51
I played a game with N17 i just love that steep side slip. i played a few games recently with a DR1 had a very enjoyable time swinging out left then rotary turning in right when planes are approaching . this only works if you are little to the left as you are appoaching . Can use the the 60 o turn instead of the steep side slip. Climbs like a monkey too.
13 damge is a little precious though. i did enjoy a great deal. i love all the planes you just have to play a different game with a few of them.

looking forward to the SE5

check6
05-25-2010, 08:37
played a game with the nieuport 16 in from the balloon busters set. It was the nieuport 16, a spad XIII and a camel versus an albatross DIII and DV with ace skillz.

I survived catching on fire and managed to shoot down the albatross DIII, but then died in a head on pass with a new albatross DIII. The albatross DV completely ignored me, as though i wasn't a threat, but I then proceeded to latch on real good to the albatross DIII and stayed behind him until he was dead. I was really surprised at my success.

thus the Nieuport 16 is the best plane, as no one suspects you can do anything until its too late. :D

Pooh
05-25-2010, 15:03
I try to avoid the very late war superscouts (DVII & Snipe). For the Germans I prefer the Alb DVa over the Dr1 as the Fokker is just too delicate. For the Allies, its the Camel. Its good at everything and you don't have to worry about killing yourself with the engine torque the way the actual pilots did. I do think this will change when the SE5a comes out. It has a pretty phenominal manouver deck.

Pooh

Air Battle Mgr
05-25-2010, 17:30
I try to avoid the very late war superscouts (DVII & Snipe).
Pooh

Why do you try to avoid them? I am not questioning your judgment -- i am trying to learn strengths and weaknesses.

Colmanspig
05-26-2010, 08:54
I personally wouldn't often fly a snipe as there wasn't many of them flown in the war until right at the end. I think i'd only fly a DvII against difficult oppostion. Also i comes down to personality you always get some people that always want to fly the best sort of planes just to give themselve an edge. I like to beat those sort of players to feed my sort of martrydom thang.

I have a theory you can almost predict some wargamers army choice similar paterns emerge. some are on the Eldar, SS Das Riech, Kra'vak, French imprial guard, Chaos warrior gaming continum.
Others are on the goblins, british army/us army, 40k imprial guard, basic plane types trip.

Pooh
05-26-2010, 09:20
I avoid the late war planes as they do everything well. I like the earlier planes as they all have strengths but also weaknesses. That spads are fast as anything but can't turn worth a darn, the Camel & Dr1 both turn a dime to the right but are only average to the left plus the Dr1 is slow and delicate. Thar Hanriot is only average speed and performance except having wonderful sideslips and so.
I think its more fun to fly these that the superplanes.

Tim