PDA

View Full Version : AAR Never Volunteer (Part Two) The Bulldogs.

Flying Officer Kyte
04-06-2013, 07:21
The Penning.

A quick look at the maps and photographs whilst the aircraft were loaded with bombs and Nigel was airborne once more leading a flight of three Bristols to deal death and destruction on the German installation which had brought so much grief to the allied air forces over the recent weeks.
This would be no stroll in the park, as he fully expected the Huns to be fully alerted by the time he was over No man’s land.

Nigel decided to go in low, and the three aircraft soon started to descend through the cloud base.

As soon as they emerged they came under heavy Archie fire and the “Biffs” rocked from the concussive force of each explosion.

A short respite in the ground fire allowed them to see two Albatrii closing on the formation from a superior height.

Nigel fired a white very light, which was the signal for the Flight to overdive to bombing height and start their run on the targets.

The first successful run was made by the inexperienced Di Evans who had been drafted in at the last minute, but had been given Dodgson as his observer to make up for his lack of bombing skills.

The ploy must have worked because Dodgson dropped a full load smack on top of the concrete bunker and totally obliterated it along with all its associated paraphernalia.
The next to let go was Snowy Winter who had replaced Dodgson as his Observer with Hawkwood, who was eager to show his ability as a bomb aimer.
On this occasion, however, he was frustrated, only securing a near miss on the compound with the scientists inside.

As Nigel homed in on his objective, he was treated to a renewed salvo of Archie but none of it did more than rock the aircraft from side to side.

Meanwhile a duel was developing between Evans and the first Albatross to reach the scene, and the twin Spandaus outgunned the single forward Vickers of the “Biff” and an ominous cloud of smoke started to emanate from its engine cowling.

Winter had also suffered from some machine gun fire from a ground based unit and was destined to suffer some aileron control problems for the remainder of the mission.

As the Albatros circled around above the SE in an attempt to get onto Evans’ tail, Dodgson took a shot at him but could not score a hit on the fleeting target which was still high above him.

The second Albatros which was attempting the same move on Nigel had no more luck than Dodgson, as it stooped on its prey from on high.

It was enough to put off Woodhead’s aim, nevertheless, as he could not return fire being too busy with his bombs.

They also overshot the building in a near miss, but the effect of the two near misses was enough to shake the foundations sufficiently to bring the whole edifice down upon the heads of the cowering scientists cringing beneath its structure.

Mission accomplished the Bulldogs now turned for home, but the mission was yet to have a few twists in its tail.

As they made for the lines, the Albatros who has been dogging Evans, intent on getting on his tail once more, made an error and came under fire both from his rear gunner Dodgson and the forward gun of Winter sustaining some damage before Dodgson finally ran out of ammunition.

More desultory Archie bursts only seemed to helped to hurry the Bulldogs on their way without any effect,

until a last passing attack by the Albatrii seemed to inflame the Bulldog pilots.

With one accord they all Immelmanned and attacked the passing Hun machines.

Nigel and Evans ripped into the first machine and wrecked its ability to turn left.

Winter passed the second Albatros and Perry treated it to a few telling rounds from his twin Lewis.

The first German pilot now threw his kite into a steep bank and crossed behind Nigel and Evans, raking the stern of Evans, but taking serious damage from both Woodhead and Dodgson.

In a trice the two Bristols turned on the Albatros and fire from Evans set the already smoking aircraft on fire.

Before it could take hold, Nigel put the result beyond issue with a burst which sheared through the wing root of the stricken plane.

With no top right wing, the Albatros spiralled down into the ground to explode in a funeral pyre, which sent a pall of black smoke up into the blue.

Observing the demise of his compatriot, the remaining German made off as fast as he could, and the Bulldogs once again made for home.

There was, however, destined to be one last act in the drama, for as the Bristols once again ran the gauntlet of the so far totally ineffectual Archie fire, one last despairing effort from the German batteries caught Evans Machine square across the nose.

The resulting explosion caused the aircraft to disintegrate in mid air to the horror of the other four onlookers, as they made for home.

There would be no victorious return for either Evans or Dodgson who had tried to dodge once too often.

The Butchers Bill.
“The Bulldogs”.
Bouncer-Smythe/ Woodhead. RTB. Partial destruction of target. One enemy aircraft destroyed by Nigel.
Winter/Perry. RTB Partial destruction of target.
Evans/ Dodgson. KIA. Total destruction of the Listening post.

The Central Powers.Loss of one Albatros. Pilot KIA.
Total loss of the Listening complex, and the Quarters of the Scientists with a loss of all personnel and the escape of one giant feline (See below for details.)

Rob.

Lt. S.Kafloc
04-06-2013, 07:38
What an ACE of a mission Rob:salute:. Fantastic edge of the seat stuff all the way through.:thumbsup: I actually wanted all your planes to come safely home as they did a magnificent job:salute:. Story and pics went hand in hand for a fantastic AAR:thumbsup:. Well done:thumbsup:. I hope you enjoyed flying it.

:fokker: Neil:salute:

TGalante
04-06-2013, 08:02
Great story. Love the pictures

Archidamus
04-06-2013, 08:42
Absolutely thrilling Rob - and a great shame that Evans and Dodgson copped a packet :( Nevertheless, well done the Bulldogs :salute:

MoonSylver
04-06-2013, 10:24
Outstanding in every way! :thumbsup: What a shocker on an ending! Fate was cruel indeed. :( RIP Evan's & Dodgson. :salute:

fast.git
04-06-2013, 10:57
Brilliant AAR, Rob! :thumbsup: I agree with Neil... I was pulling for all of the boys to make it out in one piece. :salute:
Fate was indeed fickle.

flash
04-06-2013, 15:00
Excellent tale - the story not the cat ! That Archie will claw you from the sky given the chance - the flak not the cat ! - and that's exactly what it did when given a second chance. Never go back ! :erk:
RIP Evans & Dodgson - stalwarts of our game :salute:

Broderick & Lee have been given their bunks ;)

Flying Officer Kyte
04-07-2013, 00:29
Thanks for the update on my Flight roster Dave.
The demise of two characters, and the advent of a giant cat during the same mission certainly gave me paws for thought. It seemed uncharacteristic of recent missions that the AA should be totally ineffective until the very last throw and then so cruelly devastating. Obviously this black cat crossing the paths of Evans and Dodgson did not bring them any measure of good luck. We will have to see if Brad Ford and Brin Lee are any better at staying alive.
Rob.

Archidamus
04-07-2013, 00:37
I assume that the AA guns that got Evans and Dodgson were part of the Germans' infamous Fe Line?

Flying Officer Kyte
04-07-2013, 01:58
I assume that the AA guns that got Evans and Dodgson were part of the Germans' infamous Fe Line?

Just when I thought that my tail had purrfected a way of avoiding a mention of the purrtinent fact that it was, purr say, a catalogue of errors leading up to the explosion which brought them down. It was not the Fe Line so much as bad luck, which caused the cataclysmic disaster,and the purrfideous,perrfunctorily, impurrfect demise of our two heroes.
Please do not purrposely purrsue this purrsonal line of enquiry further, as it is defurring my recovery from the whole catastrophy.
Rob.

Marechallannes
04-07-2013, 02:14
Damn luck, Rob. Archie picked the Bristfit out of the sky. :hmm:

Need a little bit time to fly this mission, but I'm not shure if it's a better idea to take out this AA batteries first.

Great AAR, Rob! :salute:

flash
04-07-2013, 02:22
I tried that Sven but my bombs dropped short & I had to MG the blighters - worth a go but don't hang abut too long or the scouts will be on you !! ;)

flash
04-07-2013, 02:25
... We will have to see if Brad Ford and Brin Lee are any better at staying alive...Rob.

Bradford & Bingley - oh, how did I miss that earlier :serious::cheezy::lol:

flash
04-07-2013, 02:29
This message has a purrpose

Remember - Big cats are dangerous - but a little p84987y never hurt anyone ....!

Lt. S.Kafloc
04-07-2013, 03:10
Better than Lee Galland, Jean E'Ral and Hal Lee-facks, I think they all flew with Escadrille Lafayette.

tikkifriend
04-07-2013, 06:16
Well done that flight Rob, but condolences to the family and friends of the fallen crew :salute:
A truely gripping yarn.

Carl_Brisgamer
04-07-2013, 07:10
Great AAR Rob. You have some great looking Bristols......

flash
04-07-2013, 08:50
Oh, Matron ... !

Flying Officer Kyte
04-07-2013, 09:03
This message has a purrpose

Remember - Big cats are dangerous - but a little p84987y never hurt anyone ....!

"Are you being served?"
Never mind! Don't answer that Dave.
Rob.

tikkifriend
04-07-2013, 10:09
Oh, Matron ... !

Damn got there before me !!!!
Oh Missus

gully_raker
04-07-2013, 16:34
Just when I thought that my tail had purrfected a way of avoiding a mention of the purrtinent fact that it was, purr say, a catalogue of errors leading up to the explosion which brought them down. It was not the Fe Line so much as bad luck, which caused the cataclysmic disaster,and the purrfideous,perrfunctorily, impurrfect demise of our two heroes.
Please do not purrposely purrsue this purrsonal line of enquiry further, as it is defurring my recovery from the whole catastrophy.
Rob.

:smack::lol::lol::lol::lol::cheezy::hatsoff::FOK:

gully_raker
04-07-2013, 16:37
:salute: Wonderful & dramatic AAR Rob!
Maybe you could use that Cat for a new scenario based on the King Kong one. King Cat has a nice sound!

( notice not a sign of a purr anywhere! :cheezy:)

Flying Officer Kyte
04-08-2013, 00:51
:salute: Wonderful & dramatic AAR Rob!
Maybe you could use that Cat for a new scenario based on the King Kong one. King Cat has a nice sound!

( notice not a sign of a purr anywhere! :cheezy:)

I will have to take instruction from Ken about King Cat. He is the expert on this matter.
No purr! It's high time your lads got their engines started then.
Rob.

Lt. S.Kafloc
04-08-2013, 08:03
Better than having the Cat chased dog-edly across the mat by a snoopy lookalike.

I will have to take instruction from Ken about King Cat. He is the expert on this matter.
No purr! It's high time your lads got their engines started then.
Rob.

Flying Officer Kyte
04-08-2013, 11:23
Better than having the Cat chased dog-edly across the mat by a snoopy lookalike.

We all fear that Neil, but the thing that gives most pilots nightmares is the thought of coming face to face with Ken the Cowman's creation.

Rob.

MoonSylver
04-08-2013, 14:11
I have that same Kong looming menacingly from the heights of my dresser...had already considered using him for a Kong game...;)

Nightbomber
04-11-2013, 10:02
The costly success...
Although the chaps kicked the bucket - the job was done and you can be proud of them :salute:
Well done Bulldogs. Great AAR Rob:)
The cat gazing at the battlefield is cute:)

7eat51
04-29-2013, 09:03
Exciting story. Great visuals - the markers add a lot. Well done. :hatsoff:

Sorry to see the loss of your crewmen. I have wondered if it is a good move to reengage and potentially end an enemy's fighting force while running the possibility of being shot down, or to get home safely, waiting for another time to fight. I guess this is where pilot temperament comes into play.

Flying Officer Kyte
04-29-2013, 11:03
Exciting story. Great visuals - the markers add a lot. Well done. :hatsoff:

Sorry to see the loss of your crewmen. I have wondered if it is a good move to reengage and potentially end an enemy's fighting force while running the possibility of being shot down, or to get home safely, waiting for another time to fight. I guess this is where pilot temperament comes into play.

Thanks for the commiserations old bean.
Its the Esprit de corps of the Bulldogs do you know. Won't let any Hun dictate to them on this side of the lines or theirs.
Gets the chaps in to some frightful scrapes.
Kyte.

7eat51
04-29-2013, 11:30
Thanks for the commiserations old bean.
Its the Esprit de corps of the Bulldogs do you know. Won't let any Hun dictate to them on this side of the lines or theirs.
Gets the chaps in to some frightful scrapes.
Kyte.

Love it. I will be flying those Huns today and tomorrow (parts 1 and 2). I will definitely keep this in mind.