PDA

View Full Version : Ignoring WW I

LGKR
05-23-2010, 19:14
Any one watching America the Story of Us on "The History Channel? They barley mention WW I. Granted this far from an in depth history, but they could have at least talked about it's influence on America's future. Since combat aircraft where introduced in this war and would be the main reason we entered WW II.:mad:

check6
05-23-2010, 21:38
whats WWI? I know not of this war you speak of. It was more than 3 minutes ago and therefore irrelevant and or boring to american society. ;) :D

Rollout
05-23-2010, 22:30
The AEF didn't begin active participation on the Western Front until October of 1917. Even so, the U.S. still lost 100,000 in the war. The world-wide influenza pandemic of 1918-1920 was much worse for world: over 50 million dead. The U.S. lost 500,000 to the flu.

LGKR
05-24-2010, 06:19
Not to mention that WW I was the catalyst that set everything in motion for WW II. It just irritates me that they seem to gloss over the Great War as if it were a small skirmish. America: The Story of Us only mentions it in passing. So much military innovation came out WW I that directly affected the U.S. especially the perfection of using aircraft as a weapon of war. The show spent the better part of an hour on WW II, which I’ll admit did have a huge affect on the entire world, but to not even spend a sentence on the first war is ridiculous. I guess I can't complain too much, at least there are channels devouted to some historical information and that's better than nothing.

Mac
05-26-2010, 05:52
And how absolutely unprepared America was for a conflict of that size, AND repeated the mistakes in WWII.
America learned and then forgot many lessons learned, but if you gloss over the Great War, you miss a lot of history.

LGKR
05-26-2010, 07:43
And how absolutely unprepared America was for a conflict of that size, AND repeated the mistakes in WWII.
America learned and then forgot many lessons learned, but if you gloss over the Great War, you miss a lot of history.

Exactly! They should have at least went into how the American public was so anti-war and did not want to get involved in "Europe's problems". This was true of both World Wars.