PDA

View Full Version : Running a game. Be gentle, it's my first time.

Omegalazarus
03-20-2013, 07:18
This is where community shines.

I am running a game of SoG/WGF at my local historical game club next week. I know at least one person has played before and most or all of them know what it is. I am not sure of the skill level of them at this game, but they are used to playing games like Flames of War, Bolt Action, 40k, DBA etc. etc. so they are no strangers to rules.

From my son visiting, I aquired the other duel pack (MvR et al.) so I have -
My custom board with overlay(the size of two WoG mats) http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?13682-Quick-Video-and-link-to-article-about-an-easy-DIY-game-board
Allies - 2 Camels, 1 Spad XIII, Br14 (A/A)
Central - 2 Dr.1, 2 Alby DV.a, Gotha bomber

Someone else may bring (should bring, but don't like to assume) some more planes.

Here is what I was thinking -

Run a bombing mission with the Germans trying to bomb two (B)AA gun positions with the Gotha. Field all my planes, with the notation that if the other planes arrive, I will switch out the allied two seater with a scout (for simplicity and because I don't think they are as 'fun' to fly).

Depending on how many people play, I will either moderate -OR- moderate AND run the bomber on a default course to hit the targets. (again, for simplicity and because it isn't that 'fun' to fly)

Rules are Standard (since these guys play lots of minis games) with Aiming. I normally play with tailing, but not sure if that is too complex. I am taking out the BOOM cards.

I have my 6 custom consoles made (which I will post here this week http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?13460-Easy-Fix-WoG-Consoles) and 4 copies of the cheat sheets http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=1212 that I put in the files section. I will try and make the two new consoles (from the new duel pack) ready as well.

Goal will be to bomb and get out/stop from being bombed.

Actual victory points will be worried about by me, but will be
3 pts for a shot down plane
1 pt for a plane leaving the field
5 pts for a shot down bomber
5 pts for a destroyed target (Gotha will have 3 bombs, each can direct hit destroy or indirect hit damage targets)
3 pts for a damaged target

Germans can leave the field through their own side without penalty after the bomber drops all bombs and either exits their own side or is destroyed.

FEEDBACK ------------

Does the scenario seem balanced?
Should I keep 'aiming' in or remove it?
Should I put 'tailing' in or leave it out?
I am removing the BOOM cards. Does that sound good?

About players getting knocked out.
These guys will be alright getting knocked out since there are other games they can jump in on, but...
Should I do the thing where there are infinite planes that come in as each is knocked out? My fear is that this might unbalance the scenario and balance matters with these guys since they do expect an even fight. Also, we will have a total 2.5 hrs to set up, play, and pack up and be out the door (playing in a store - Game Keep, Hermitage, TN) I worry that multiple planes will drag the game out and I would rather it naturally end than me have to 'call it' at time.

Any other advise to give?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Dan-Sam
03-20-2013, 07:49
It looks good. Attackers (with bomber) have to have less fighters than Defenders. Camel is perfect opponent for Dr.I and SPAD for Albatros. I can not say what about Breguet, but you can try it if you will not have adequate number of Allied fighters (may be with B guns...?). Aim is OK, Tailing is not important (there are only few moments in the game when you can use it). Remove Boom cards as you write, it is OK. Be carefull with AA guns, just consider some "peace" target (bridge, enemy HQ,...). If you are not sure with your friends skill, start with a little dogfight - only some fighters, it takes about 30-45 minutes max.
Hope you will post some AAR :)

fast.git
03-20-2013, 08:50
I can not say what about Breguet, but you can try it if you will not have adequate number of Allied fighters (may be with B guns...?).
Two-holers are tough nuts, especially if not using altitude rules... which, by the way, I would suggest avoiding with first-timers. Reducing the Breguet to a B/B firing platform will help mitigate this somewhat, however. Additionally, you can tweak stronger/weaker sides by doling out an ace skill (here or there) to the weaker of the sides. I would suggest you pick the skill.

Remove Boom cards...
Completely support this for first-timers. Sure, it's awfully rewarding to see someone go "BOOM," just not so much from the other perspective.

Be carefull with AA guns, just consider some "peace" target (bridge, enemy HQ,...).
AA guns are unpredictable and can dramatically change a game... just take a look at the first of the "Final Months" AARs in the Over the Trenches campaign.

HTRAINo
03-20-2013, 09:04
Suggestion; Restrict the AA to activate the following turn after the first player is eliminated (if you are keeping the BOOM cards in), he/she then mans the AA and thus removes the hassle of controlling planes and AA. It will also be a nasty surprise. Further players eliminated can man the guns too, to keep it fun and entertaining.

Players then feel that they are getting a second chance at wasting your planes etc etc.

Thanks for the support for using the custom dashboards too! Will be good to see how yours turn out ;)

Omegalazarus
03-20-2013, 10:05
Great feedback so far. I like having the dead man the ground fire guns @HTRAINo. Thanks all!

Omegalazarus
03-27-2013, 06:49
Well, I ran that game last night at it went well. It was too hectic for pictures, so I will have to give you the info on the print outs instead. Everyone had fun, which is the main thing. It was a little hectic as one of the players got held up at work, so I was running a scout in addition to the bomber (and I couldn't moderate the game as effectively as a result). However, the player arrived shortly after the first exchange of fire and then it was much better. I ran the bomber on automatic (basically, straight to a target, drop a bomb, turn to next target etc.)

Fluff wise, I decided to use the Battle of Cambrai as the backdrop and I melded facts from the battle and general events of the time period for a good overall 'what if' mission that gave some history to the conflict.

Here is the set up I sent in the e-mail announcing the game.

-----
November 1917

The introduction of the new Spad XIII and Sopwith Camel (and their dual machineguns) has given the Allies momentum in the air as they are recovering from “Bloody April,” but the German pilots of the Central Powers are still holding a strong defensive position despite the lackluster performance of their new Fokker Dr.1 and Albatross D.Va scouts.

Battle of Cambrai – Allied forces have taken sections of the Hindenburg Line in a massive combined arms attack. The Germans are proving a resolute enemy in defense, both on the ground and in the air but they are faltering and every loss is irreplaceable.

German Command is determined to retake the Bourlon Salient and thus, the Hindenburg line. JG1 (Richthofen’s Group, which functioned as a QRF to any needed area) has been ordered to the front in this area.

30 November – The Germans stage a surprise Counter attack. Instead of a continuous artillery bombardment followed by a massive wave of troops, the Germans fire light chemical artillery to cover a thin, heavily armed probing assault. Individual commanders bring forward groups of shock troops who avoid strong resistance and only attack weak points. -----

Here is the full mission sheet with all the details

-----
(Note: This mission is historical Fiction)

Bombing run – The Central Powers will be tasked with silencing the guns of 12th Division to the north near Gonnelieu and 55th Division to the South near Epehy.

The Allies must prevent the bombing and inflict casualties on the Germans in order to deprive the Luftstreitkraefte of the valuable, experienced JG1 pilots.

Board – 4+ planes 100cm x 140cm
Plane types – Allies – Spad XIII, Sopwith Camel,
Central Powers – Fokker Dr.1, Albatross D.Va, 1 Gotha IV Bomber
Scenario rules – Bombing, Aiming, Tailing, (Allies) Reinforcements

Set up – Each side places the rear of their planes either touching their own side or ½ ruler distance from their side. Bombers must start touching their own side. Along the allied side - Place one small building objective card (Gonnelieu) one ruler from the end and South side of the board. Place one multi-building objective card (Little Priel Farm) one ruler from the end and South side of the board.

Bomber – Has 2 loads of bombs that can be dropped at once if desired. Each bomb does half damage to a location target that it touches and completely destroys a location target when it covers the red dot.

Game Ends – When all planes from one side have left the play area.

Victory Conditions – If the Central Powers destroy all targets and don’t lose a plane, they win. If not, score as follows.
Central - Score 4 points for each enemy plane shot down or for each enemy plane that left the playing field. Score 12 points for a destroyed target and 6 points for a damaged target.

Allies - Score 5 points for each enemy scout shot down. Score 11 points for destroying a bomber (Gotha etc.) Score 2 points for each enemy plane that left the playing field. Score 12 points for each undamaged target and 6 points for a damaged but not destroyed target.

NOTE – The Allies score 0 points for an enemy bomber that leaves the field through the home side after they destroyed a target or dropped all their bombs within half a ruler of the target card’s center. The Allies score 0 points for enemy planes that leave the field through the home side after the bomber is shot down or leaves the game board by the above rule (giving away 0 points). ----- When an allied plane is shot down, it may return at ½ health and give up no vic pts if it is shot down or leaves the field.

-----

The final bit of fluff about the objectives and some real life heroics

-----
Significance of the Objectives

During the Counter Offensive, these batteries proved devastating to the German assault and were a primary reason that the attack halted in both the south (German left flank) and the West (German Objective).

12th (Eastern) Division Artillery
After taking the defenses in front of Gonnelieu, the only thing that prevented the Germans from advancing further was the heroic work by the artillerymen behind Gonnelieu. The Field Batteries worked to the last round, firing at point blank into the Germans swarming in and around the houses.
Lieutenant Samuel Wallace had two of his guns run out of their pits and, with a light crew, ran from one gun to the other for the next two hours keeping them firing all the time. By 1030, British infantry could be seen arriving from the north so the Lieutenant and his five surviving gunners removed the breech-blocks and retired with their wounded. The Lieutenant received the Victoria Cross. The five gunners received The Distinguished Conduct Medal.

55th (West Lancashire) Division Artillery
On 30 November 1917 at Little Priel Farm, east of Epehy, Sergeant Cyril Gourley was working a section of howitzers. During an enemy advance, when their forces were within a few hundred yards of him, both to the front and on one flank, and though plagued by heavy shelling, machine gun fire, rifle fire and aircraft attacks the Sergeant and one of his men managed to keep one gun firing. At one point he pulled the gun out of the pit and engaged a machine-gun at 500 yards, knocking it out with a direct hit. All day he held the Germans, firing over open sights on enemy parties, thereby saving his guns, which were withdrawn at nightfall. For his action the Sergeant won the Victoria Cross and his position marked the southern limit of the German break in.
-----

The mission was a sort of 'what if' the Germans could have neutralized these batteries beforehand. I know there are tons of factors involved in all these events and it wasn't intended as a deep read of the battle. It was more along the lines of giving enough information that anyone could know where to look if they wanted to find out more on their own.

The Germans ended up winning. The allies (in two Camels) flubbed their initial attack and overshot the (Gotha) bomber losing valuable time getting back into the fight and were just approaching the bomber as it struck the first target (a partial hit). They hammered the bomber while the German scouts (in two Alby D.Va's) swarmed around. The bomber took some heavy hits and started smoking, but was still able to drop it's bombs on the second target (another partial hit) and begin to head home. The allies lost a camel to some bad damage draws and another came on to replace it, but to no avail. Surprisingly, the bomber AND both Alby's made it home and managed to shoot down both the original Camels. Really lopsided damage draws, but good flying as well. The Germans won 20pts - 0pts. It was close to destruction, having 3hp left at game end.

After that, we played a 2v2 dogfight with the Richtofen brothers in Dr.1's going up against a couple Camels and again, the Camels got shot down without any success on their own. The Camels seemed to be made of paper that night.

HTRAINo
03-27-2013, 07:03
Great write up Japheth! Sounds like you had a really good nights gaming :drinks:

The 'Camels Curse' struck you at the end there lol.

fast.git
03-27-2013, 07:18
Outstanding write-up... the historical flavor text was spot-on! :thumbsup: :salute:

fast.git
03-27-2013, 07:20
The Germans ended up winning. The allies (in two Camels) flubbed their initial attack and overshot the (Gotha) bomber losing valuable time getting back into the fight and were just approaching the bomber as it struck the first target (a partial hit). They hammered the bomber while the German scouts (in two Alby D.Va's) swarmed around. The bomber took some heavy hits and started smoking, but was still able to drop it's bombs on the second target (another partial hit) and begin to head home. The allies lost a camel to some bad damage draws and another came on to replace it, but to no avail. Surprisingly, the bomber AND both Alby's made it home and managed to shoot down both the original Camels. Really lopsided damage draws, but good flying as well. The Germans won 20pts - 0pts. It was close to destruction, having 3hp left at game end.

After that, we played a 2v2 dogfight with the Richtofen brothers in Dr.1's going up against a couple Camels and again, the Camels got shot down without any success on their own. The Camels seemed to be made of paper that night.

I've been experiencing more and more of these myself... crazy lop-sided engagements, at least in terms of damage sustained. :confused:

Omegalazarus
03-27-2013, 07:35
I've been experiencing more and more of these myself... crazy lop-sided engagements, at least in terms of damage sustained. :confused:

Crazy, huh. I played a game a couple months ago where my friend's Dr.1 (by itself since he couldn't get the Alby in the fight, so at least I did that right) shot down a Spad XIII AND a Camel. It ended the game wit more damage cards (15) than starting hitpoints, but still alive. We joked that maybe the red paint really was bulletproof.

fast.git
03-27-2013, 09:14
...It ended the game wit more damage cards (15) than starting hitpoints, but still alive. We joked that maybe the red paint really was bulletproof.

:eek: :lol:

csadn
03-27-2013, 13:28

You're not the only one -- look at the AARs elseforum. Still trying to figure out how it's happening, esp. as it doesn't seem to cage with what I get from my solitaire games (but then, I also don't use the solitaire rules published here; so I'm not surprised my results vary).

Flying Officer Kyte
04-03-2013, 12:02
Never figured it out myself.
Some times a game taken all the way to the wire, and another time two down with hardly any damage to the winners.
guess this shows just how unpredictable your life on the lines was, even for an Ace with his edge.
I think Andrea has done a really good job on the rules despite our constant tinkering.
Rob.