PDA

View Full Version : An alternative gimbal mount

NZgunner
03-15-2013, 16:09
Since I already have a fistful (216) of potentially lethal sphere shaped rare earth magnets (or buckyballs) just under 5mm in diameter, I thought I might try and make gimbals using these and small (3mm hole, 7mm diameter) stainless steel washers. The magnet fits nicley into the hole and doesn't protrude through too far (ie the washer still sits flat with the magnet siting within it).

The big issue is whether this method is as strong as the ring magnet method - anyone know?

I haven't stuck them to pegs or planes yet, but I can already see some other potential advantages and disadvantages to this method.

Possible advantages over using a small ring magnet and steel bearing are,

less additional height - the washer is less than 1mm thick
can rough up the interior surface of the washer to give more grip - could even file it out a bit more to give more magnetised surface area
if you mount the washer on the plane and the magnet on the peg, the washer might be less obtrusive than a bearing or ring magnet
steel washers are dirt cheap, the cube of buckyballs was pretty cheap as well (when you could still buy them!!), could potentially mount 100 planes for less than US$10

Some potential disadvantages are,

the washer is wider than the ring magnet and pegs - might allow less downward pitch on models where the centre of gravity is close to the undercarriage (eg Albatross D.VA)
the ring magnet steel bearing combo may be stronger - could be more of an issue for the extra leverage associated with the half-peg method

I'm thinking of using the half-peg method as I like the idea of being able to use them without modifying the planes (have a bag of 100 extra altitude pegs on the way), and will work with my plans for a storage system.

Any thoughts before I commit myself :)

NZgunner
03-16-2013, 00:47
I've had my first attempt, and I have to say it was mostly a failure.

First of all I didn't take into account the polarity of the buckyball, and it wanted to orient itself within the washer, so the first plane was always at an angle and would never sit level.

I redid it, this time gluing the peg onto the buckyball while it was stuck to the washer. This allowed the plane (tested with an Albatross D.VA and a Fokker DR.1) to sit level. But my worst fears were confirmed about the strength (or lack thereof) of the washer's attraction to the buckyball not being great enough to cope with the leverage of the half peg method - as soon as the plane was offset to any one side it just tilted all the way down.

I might try again and put some primer on the washer and buckyball to increase friction, but I think the ring magnet/bearing combo is stronger.

NZgunner
03-17-2013, 23:35
Success on the second attempt!!

On closer examination I realised that the buckyball was sitting too far down in the washer, and every so slightly touching the peg it was glued to. I glued a second washer to the first, and also oriented it so the 'sharp' side (as opposed to the smoother, more rounded side) was facing upwards - and now it works just like I imagined it would.

I have a couple of two seater models on the way (one benefit of a place like NZ is that old stock can sometimes still be found) and I will try it on these - if it is successful I'll post some pictures.

CdnFlyer
03-18-2013, 15:39
Any pics?.... I'm real curious on how they look and worked out. Please post, thanks

NZgunner
03-19-2013, 00:05

NZgunner
03-26-2013, 01:30
They also work well on my new two 2-seaters (the DH4 shown below and the UFAG).

I think the key is the relatively rough inner surface of the washers, and cutting the pegs to the smallest size possible (managed to get the bag of 100 additional pegs from somewhere else so could afford a bit of trial and error).

Got a Gotha in the mail - but don't think I'll mount that baby!!

http://i1353.photobucket.com/albums/q676/nz_gunner/P1030739_zpsaacbc495.jpg

http://i1353.photobucket.com/albums/q676/nz_gunner/P1030738_zps4bc19e23.jpg

Marechallannes
03-26-2013, 11:00
Good work, Stuart. :salute:

Leaves the beloved minis intact.

Hunter
05-18-2013, 03:15
I think you've got a great idea there!