PDA

View Full Version : card packs are they necessary?

wirrakee
05-06-2010, 03:20
Hi guys just wanted a tip on purchasing the card packs like immelman etc, do I need to get them or are the cards in the box sets? i have flying aces burning drachens and watch your back as well as the deluxe set and series 1 & 2 miniatures (complete sets) - yeah i know got the wow bug in a big way:)

Oberst Hajj
05-06-2010, 03:58
Look in the files section under official releases. Andrea made a list of every thing that comes in the boosters and boxed set a while back. That will let you know if you need one or can skip it.

usmc1855
05-06-2010, 05:07
Hi guys just wanted a tip on purchasing the card packs like immelman etc, do I need to get them or are the cards in the box sets? i have flying aces burning drachens and watch your back as well as the deluxe set and series 1 & 2 miniatures (complete sets) - yeah i know got the wow bug in a big way:)

I have the same as you with the exception of the Deluxe Ste, but I also have the complete set of Series 3, but I own no Booster packs at all. So far we have not lacked for the want of any additional plane cads, and I have not plans to purchase any of the Booster pack. I will however continue to purchase the complete set of each of the series on miniatures as they are released.

Pseudotheist
05-06-2010, 05:15
So far we have not lacked for the want of any additional plane cads
That's just because you don't know what you're missing with the Se5a. But that'll be out in miniature soon enough...

rapier1642
05-06-2010, 14:36
I think the card packs are essential to the game as the consider to expand the tactical diversity of the game

Oberst Hajj
05-06-2010, 15:07
I guess I'll also point out that I have every boxed set and every mini for Wings of War (both WWI and WWII). For WWI, I have bought no booster packs and I've not missed anything. I do not play with cards, only minis, so extra plane cards do not help me in any shape or form.

I have bought two boosters for WWII though. That was for the extra maneuver decks since I play with 1/144 scale minis and not the official ones (I still own them all though! lol).

usmc1855
05-06-2010, 18:33
...... I do not play with cards, only minis, so extra plane cards do not help me in any shape or form.

Add that to my previous comments.

Se5a? My Brother gave me two SE5a Minis a while back (I think they were F-toys) along with cards he had printed, and yes...they are great planes to bring to the fight!

krolik
05-06-2010, 21:57
+1 to the Se5a! As fast as the Spad XIII with 90* turns and wide side slips.

The Blue Baron
05-07-2010, 00:22
If you play with the card or use non-Nexus models the card packs are essential. But if you only use the official models there is no use in buying the card packs.

wirrakee
05-07-2010, 05:09
thanks for the feedback guys, think i'll consider them after i get series 3...... :P

Pseudotheist
05-07-2010, 05:43
thanks for the feedback guys, think i'll consider them after i get series 3...... :P
The specific thing to keep in mind if you are definitely picking up miniatures is that Recon Patrol and Top Fighters are both completely obsolesced by the miniature line. the only thing you will get from those blister packs that you won't get with the miniatures is more aircraft cards, which are pretty and neat, but of almost 0 practical use (particularly if you take to the miniatures).

Gord
05-28-2010, 23:16

I DO recommend the booster packs if you want to quickly and easily expand your model choices and for the extra maneuver decks.

I plan to build miniatures as well as use the WoW models and I will likely need a flight of Snipes or Camels or Tripe Hounds. To add aircraft you need the maneuver cards and that is where the booster packs are so handy. If you want a flight of Snipes you will need 4 M decks.
There are also a/c types that are either way down the road or not available from WoW.
Recon patrol for instance includes a Sopwith Tri-Plane and appropriate maneuver deck. If you want to fly the mini then you are going to have to build one yourself and use the D deck.
There is no RFC/RAF Nieuport 17!!!! By the model elsewhere and build your own.

F-Toys makes a couple of useful aeroplanes ; Fonck and RFC SPAD VII's and Richtofen's Albatross DIII. Reviresco and Red Eagle make a wide selection of a/c and our own Colonel Hajj makes flight bases and other accessories so nothing need be wasted.

Gord

Flying Officer Kyte
06-01-2010, 09:19
Thus far, I have not found any difficulty with the cards. The only down side is seeing, things that you know are only in your dreams as far as models are concerned. I am fighting off the urge to splash on any models that are not WoW. I know that if I give in to my desire, that way leads to bankruptcy. However, my palms are itching every time somebody produces another picture of a model that they have completed. So I guess it is only a matter of time before that first Brisfit or Sopwith Tripe hits the doormat.
Rob.