PDA

View Full Version : P 38 lighting maneuver deck question

Gbear58
02-27-2013, 09:16
Gents,
I have managed to fabricate 1/200 P38's and want to get them into action. Does any one have an idea as to which maneuver deck to use? I believe the damage would be B,B,C at close and C at long. I would entertain any suggestions here.
Thanks
Bear

Lord_Ninja
02-27-2013, 10:17
Max Headroom has a couple of cards for the P-38 http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/album.php?albumid=423&attachmentid=74943

Gbear58
02-27-2013, 20:41
Ok I see, H deck is what I thought. Thanks for the help!
Bear

Coog
02-27-2013, 21:01
We discussed the different damages on the custom cards in a thread a while back and it was decided that BBC was correct for short range and AC at long range based on other aircraft. The P-400 variant of the P-39 has one 20mm cannon, two 50 cal. machine guns, and four 30 cal. machine guns. Damage is one C for the 20mm, one B for the 50's, and one B for the 30's (A+A=B) at short range or BBC. Its long range is shown to be AC.
The two B's are reduced to one B but the C does not become a B at long range. The cannon remains a C and the B is further reduced to an A to show an overall reduction in damage at long range.

Here's the thread:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?10947-P-38-Cards

Carl_Brisgamer
02-27-2013, 22:03
We discussed the different damages on the custom cards in a thread a while back and it was decided that BBC was correct for short range and AC at long range based on other aircraft. The P-400 variant of the P-39 has one 20mm cannon, two 50 cal. machine guns, and four 30 cal. machine guns. Damage is one C for the 20mm, one B for the 50's, and one B for the 30's (A+A=B) at short range or BBC. Its long range is shown to be AC.
The two B's are reduced to one B but the C does not become a B at long range. The cannon remains a C and the B is further reduced to an A to show an overall reduction in damage at long range.

Here's the thread:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?10947-P-38-Cards

I tend to agree, but the concept falls down when you look at Dewoitine D.520 with short range BC, long range B.

If we use the D.520 as an example the P-38 stats should be BBC/BB, just like on the card in the post above.

Coog
02-27-2013, 22:42
I tend to agree, but the concept falls down when you look at Dewoitine D.520 with short range BC, long range B.

If we use the D.520 as an example the P-38 stats should be BBC/BB, just like on the card in the post above.

Because the guns on the P-38 are basically the same American produced guns as on the P-400 is why I go with the AC of the P-39 instead of the BB of the D.520. Both American fighters used the Hispano-Suiza HS.404 20mm and Browning produced machine guns. The D.520 used the Hispano-Suiza HS.404 20mm and four MAC 1934 M39 7.5 mm (.295 in) machine guns. It may be because the P-400 packed more of a punch at short range why the damage is different at long range from the D.520 damage. The designer may have thought the P-400 should have more of a punch at long range. It would be interesting to hear the designer's reason for the difference. It will also be interesting to see what the official P-38 will be like if/when Ares produces one. Until then I guess it is just a matter of individual preference. The lack of a maneuver deck reflecting the characteristics for the P-38 bothers me more than which damage to use.

Jager
02-28-2013, 01:38
Well, the P-38s are either right at the speed limit for the existing decks (E,F and G models) or past it (later ones). H is the best one we have now.
Damage is another problem; I tried to figure it using Zoe's method, and came up with too many points (or too few; it's been a while).
Based on the bombers' points, and figures from other aircraft games, I'd say 21 for the earlies and 25 for the lates.
Karl