PDA

View Full Version : Official Recognition for Bomber Command veterans (finally)

Baldrick62
02-26-2013, 13:51
The Bomber Command clasp, which is intended to be worn on the ribbon of the 1939-45 Star, will follow the design of the Battle of Britain clasp.:clap:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/9893878/250000-veterans-of-Arctic-convoys-and-Bomber-Command-to-be-honoured.html

From Wiki:

'Bomber Command crews also suffered an extremely high casualty rate: 55,573 killed out of a total of 125,000 aircrew (a 44.4% death rate), a further 8,403 were wounded in action and 9,838 became prisoners of war. This covered all Bomber Command operations including tactical support for ground operations and mining of sea lanes. A Bomber Command crew member had a worse chance of survival than an infantry officer in World War I. By comparison, the US Eighth Air Force, which flew daylight raids over Europe had 350,000 aircrew during the war and suffered 26,000 killed and 23,000 POWs. Of the RAF Bomber Command personnel killed during the war, 72% were British, 18% were Canadian, 7% were Australian and 3% were New Zealanders.

'Taking an example of 100 airmen:
55 killed on operations or died as result of wounds
3 injured (in varying levels of severity) on operations or active service
12 taken prisoner of war (some injured)
2 shot down and evaded capture
27 survived a tour of operations

'In total 364,514 operational sorties were flown, 1,030,500 tons of bombs were dropped and 8,325 aircraft lost in action.'

Lest we forget.

gully_raker
02-26-2013, 15:00
:thumbsup: And about time too!
It was good to see the Bomber Command memorial unveilled a while back as well.:)

csadn
02-26-2013, 15:16
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/9893878/250000-veterans-of-Arctic-convoys-and-Bomber-Command-to-be-honoured.html

"However, amidst concerns about some of the bombing raids, there were no campaign medals specifically for Bomber Command after the war. " [emphasis added]

Translation: Churchill orders Bomber Command to firebomb several German cities; then when it backfires on him, he throws Harris and RAF BC under the bus.

wargamer
02-26-2013, 15:30
Kind of surprised to see that. If I remember (feel free to correct me on this one), the only awards the US air corps got for participation in the bombing of German cities was the same one everyone in the army and in theater was awarded, the European Campaign Medal and the WW2 victory medal.

flash
02-26-2013, 16:07
Finally. :medal: :salute:

Baldrick62
02-27-2013, 04:36
Kind of surprised to see that. If I remember (feel free to correct me on this one), the only awards the US air corps got for participation in the bombing of German cities was the same one everyone in the army and in theater was awarded, the European Campaign Medal and the WW2 victory medal.

The Bomber Command clasp is not a separate award as such, but a 'campaign clasp' to be worn on the already awarded 1939-45 Star, so while it specifically recognises those who served in Bomber Command, it isn't an additional gong.

Marechallannes
03-01-2013, 04:18
Ok, they build a new memorial for the Bomber crews, but I don't understand that they bring a medal 68 years after a war for those men...

What's the reason?

Bad press for the UK forces in the last years? No acceptance for them in public?

:confused:

David Manley
03-01-2013, 04:24
Because people have been showing up the inconsistencies in our issuing of medals and at last someone in authority has had the balls to correct an injustice.

Marechallannes
03-01-2013, 05:15
68 after WW II?

I think there are political reasons for such an action.

Mr. Cameron is Prime Minister from the Conservative party.

As far as I know - there were much more conservative Prime Ministers before him.

So why should Mr. Cameron bring out this medal?

Don't get me wrong, David. I'm ok with the memeorial for the bomber crews - their losses were horrible and a memorial to remind on this men is quite good.

These days, our Minister of Defense talks about a German veteran day, of course not for the soldiers of WW II, I think only for Bundeswehr soldiers. :p

I can't see the reason... :hmm: ...and I'm afraid, that the most impulse is a political one, for votes, etc.

Is there a donation combined with this medals?

Walt Powell
03-01-2013, 05:54
It's sad that our government (because we've done this as well)...or any government....would wait until most of these brave men have passed beyond these shores before recognizing them. You can't exhume graves to pin awards on soldiers, sailors and airmen. Too little; too late...says I.

Lt. S.Kafloc
03-04-2013, 23:23
It's about time that the Atlantic convoys and bomber command have been recognised. Shame is that it took so long.