PDA

View Full Version : Persistent Character idea (lose campaign)

Omegalazarus
02-15-2013, 08:07
My girlfriend got me the RAP for Valentine's Day so I guess Vday has two meanings now. I can't wait to start incorporating the new rules.

I want to intro my friends into the game (and myself a bit as well) so I am thinking of having us create a character for one side of the conflict. I will set up a series of missions that progressively exposes us to the different rules in a natural manner.

My Idea is: I will set up missions to ease us into all the rules (start with Basic (with AIm and tailing) then go to standard, then advanced. So the first few missions might be dogfights at Basic, then Standard Rules. After that we will do different missions types (Start with photo, then bombing etc.) and add in altitude (4 levels only). We will track kills and get ace abilities at progressively higher levels (5, 15, etc.). I think that will help make the game accessible and add some flavor of continuity to the experience. I will take care of moderating the things like kill recording so that they aren't exposed to unnecessary complexity (though everyone will know the rule).

I think, once we have progressed through about 10 missions, everyone will have a good idea of the B,S,A rules, tailing, Aim, and ace abilities and have a cool story that formed all in-game with their characters. They will know what planes they flew on what missions and what they shot down. The pilots will be unkillable and I will not mess with capture etc. to keep it fun and to keep everyone at a similar level. I am toying with the idea of doing this is in a way that we do not all have to be together to play. Where if only a friend is available, they can still play with their character (while the others are on holiday or sick etc.) Once that is over, we can switch sides and run a fuller version to try out the other planes. I got into this game expecting to be the Entente, but as the host I have picked planes last each time and so I have only played as the Central powers. I don't mind (and don't really have a favorite side), it is just funny. I am eager to try my hand with a Spad XIII or Camel.

I am headed over to the files section to check out pilot record sheets. Also, Has anyone used the Record books the Aerodrome Accessories store sells? My girlfriend is crafty and offered to make us record books, but I may use the Aerodrome ones for the second run through if there is good feedback (as a sort of momento). I am even toying with a prize for the first to reach Double Ace Ability status (15 kills for this purpose) (Maybe a plane of choice from their side or a log book).

I appreciate any feedback on this idea. Keep in mind, the point of this is to intro new players. I will run it and have played <10 games (but researched :read, obsessed: plenty). I will be introing the game to girlfriend and 2 friends who have played <5 games and 1 friend who has not played at all (and has some trouble picking up lots of rules at once).

tikkifriend
02-15-2013, 08:19
Hi Japheth Sounds like a great idea you have going there. I will folow it with interest. Good hunting
Paul

Nick_ace
02-15-2013, 11:38
Great idea you have there!!!:thumbsup:It's a good way to intoduce the game to your friends.
If I'm not mistaken, MoonSylver had more or less the same idea.:)
Here's the link:http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?13421-Help-on-leave-for-WW1-pilots!
Thanks

Nick

Omegalazarus
02-15-2013, 12:00
Thanks for the link. I'll check out the link. Good to know I may not have to do all the ground work.

MoonSylver
02-15-2013, 13:49
Great idea you have there!!!:thumbsup:It's a good way to intoduce the game to your friends.
If I'm not mistaken, MoonSylver had more or less the same idea.:)
Here's the link:http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?13421-Help-on-leave-for-WW1-pilots!
Thanks

Nick

Yep, that's what I've more or less been building up to w/ the Pilot Sheets, then the Personalities, Demeanors & Quirks, & hopefully Encounters for Off Duty & Leave. I get bogged down though in details, analysis paralysis, & trying to settle on a set of campaign rules I like. :erk:

So Japheth's idea of a loose campaign structure is, in some ways, much better, since I can't even get mine started :cry:

One thing I WOULD suggest is leaving in some threat of pilot death. No risk=no fun IMO. BUT you have to lessen the odds of it occurring. After all in a campaign/rpg style enviroment these are the "heroes"/stars, so you don't want them getting bumped off TOO easily. Take a look at some of the campaigns in the files & elsewhere on line. Most of them have Health, Luck Points, etc to mitigate too much fataility. ;)

Omegalazarus
02-15-2013, 14:50
One thing I WOULD suggest is leaving in some threat of pilot death. No risk=no fun IMO. BUT you have to lessen the odds of it occurring. After all in a campaign/rpg style enviroment these are the "heroes"/stars, so you don't want them getting bumped off TOO easily.

You know, you are absolutely right. I RPGed a lot when I was younger and once a character was played and upped so much that death was a joke, it got boring. I will keep something in and look at the files you guys have put out to see what is up. Maybe something like a damage deck draw after a game and stay away from any 5s and BOOM. Something like that. I will have to work up the percentages.

I'm getting pumped. I should be able to do a little gaming Sunday. Maybe I will try this out and see if any kinks pop up. As far as confirmed kills, I am thinking if there is a friendly airman on the board that doesn't die OR friendly ground target card (trench, bldg etc.) that makes it through the game, then kills are confirmed. IF there is one on the board when the kill happens, but the witness is removed before the game is over, draw a card and hope for no zeros. That should be attainable and pretty realistic. I am assuming that any friendly on the field is witnessing your combat and will report it after the battle. If they are killed in battle, it is a draw to see if they reported it first.

That seems like it is pretty simple as you just record the conditions at the kill and if they are not still there at game end, you draw a card.

gully_raker
02-15-2013, 15:19
:thumbsup: I think your idea of working your way through the rules from basic on up is a great way to learn the Game & the ongoing campaign will work to give your pilots experience.

May I suggest you just remove the Explosion Card (as we did when introducing the Game to our local Gaming Club).

This will avoid losing an Aircraft early in the Game.
When a player gets shot down you can just say he crash landed & even if on fire that the Gods of Luck were on his side & he managed to exit the Aircraft before any permanent injury, which some pilots actually managed to do.

Good luck with your idea & I will look forward to hearing of your progress!:D

Hunter
02-16-2013, 01:44
Great plan, Japheth. I use and like the AA logbooks to keep track and write AAR's from.

Nick_ace
02-17-2013, 08:51
If you both (Japheth and MoonSylver) combine your ideas, the result will be awesome and beautiful!!:D

Omegalazarus
02-19-2013, 14:40
Well I got together with one of my friends for some WoG this weekend and we started our Characters. My Allied and his Central both did pretty well, scoring two confirmed kills over two sorties. Each mission was a total victory for one of us which was pretty funny. I can feel that Ace ability clawing at me. I can't wait to get a few more kills. I wrote up the back story to my guy (an American) and my friend wrote up a cool pre-cursor to the second mission. He needed some way to explain that he drew the 'Boomcard' on the first damage (I think it was turn 2 or 3). It was really fun and tracking the stats is nice.

So far, we are going no death since not everyone is playing, that way we don't get killed by some random non-entity vanilla pilot. I'll put something in the AAR or Campaign section once I figure out where this sort of thing should go. Not sure, since the missions are not connected except for the pilots involved.

Lt. S.Kafloc
02-19-2013, 15:14
The records will prove an invaluable aid to keeping track of your campaign. You can always look back on them and have a laugh, or cry, over events you might have forgotten about. We had an obituary notice at the club and pics of all our KIA, MIA pilots with a short right up about them. Awarding medals, promotion etc are all things that keep a campaign alive. And the ultimate aim to be an ace, double or triple ace....will keep the drive going for many games to come.

Good hunting, and I look forward to reading some of your AAR's and having a drink or two in the mess.

:fokker: Neil

Nick_ace
02-19-2013, 18:44
Good start Japheth!!!

Omegalazarus
02-22-2013, 13:36
I worked up the rules for confirmed kills and a general overview of the purpose of the campaign. I also am setting down some scenarios. What I'll end up with is three mission types (each having a couple of missions in there) that can be played to test different rules (bombing, photo, etc.) and give a different flavor of the game. It will also give players and opportunity to see the different planes in action and to fly one if they want (Scout, two seater, bomber).

I have 4 done so far and want to get two more knocked out. Once I do, I may upload it to see if it is of any use to others getting in to the game or if anyone likes a scenario enough to use it. I'm fighting off a head cold or I would already be done, but those aeronauts didn't always get sick days off so I am carrying on.