PDA

View Full Version : AAR MISSION 16 - Flight of the Giants: Die Bomberrückkehr

Lt. S.Kafloc
02-11-2013, 06:55
Bolle, Plange get airborne. Head to these co-ordinates and RV with 2 bombers that have become separated after a raid on England. Bring them home, we think one of the bombers is lame.

A simple enough task. Lets hope we got to them before the allies did. As we approached the co-ordinates we could see no sign of our bombers. We flew on for a little while longer in the hope that we were early. Richard waggled his wings and pointed down, I looked down in horror at the mangled wreckage of what could only be 2 bombers.

We returned to the airfield and told the CO the worrying news. I did not feel like a drink in the mess. 2 days later news came in of a captured Belgian pilot who claimed to have witnessed the Bombers demise. I borrowed a car and Richard and I drove over to talk to this Belgie. If his story is true....well I'll let you make your own minds up.....

It was like this. Three of us, in camels, intercepted your bombers on the way home. An AEG and a Gotha, from no-where a British SE5 joined us.

We attacked as a squadron, head on. I dove around the Gotha, the other 2 camels engaged the AEG.

I managed to glimpse the SE5 pilot attacking the AEG too.

I turned to tight and clipped the Gotha, my wing was badly damaged.

The rear gunners of both planes were very accurate. We overshot the bombers, the SE5 included.

We turned to re-engage and as we closed in both bombers turned into each other, collided and poof........they both spiraled into the ground.

The SE5 pilot gave us a wave and flew off, I think he was from that famous English squadron...the one with the bulldog painted on their planes..no. We did the same and headed back to the airfield. 2 days later and my plane....damn the ground crew, was repaired badly, my wing shredded in a turn and I could only crash in a field behind your lines. And here I am.

(A very short game, bombers didn't even reach the half way line so no scouts to bring on......perhaps I should have flew with 52nd SQ after all....NAH).

The butchers bill:

Marechallannes
02-11-2013, 07:37
:confused:

Wasn't it your job to shot down enemy bombers?

How did the bombers manage to collide when the're flying in formation?

Lt. S.Kafloc
02-11-2013, 07:43
Well I took it that you rolled for each bomber separately (well I did after the Gotha had to fly straight and level after colliding with the camel. As the AEG pilot would not know this or how it affected the Gotha then I moved them separately). And no, as I fly for the Kaiser's I took it as my job to bring them home (ie lack of Allied bombers). However if your saying this is a 'no show'. Then take it as that. Either way I had fun playing it and it didn't turn out in the Germans favour....pity but that's life.

Lt. S.Kafloc
02-11-2013, 07:45
I always remember something I was taught in basic training.... 'No plan survives first contact with the enemy'!

Marechallannes
02-11-2013, 07:49
No problem Neil. ;)

This is one thing that has to be said to new players:

All fly the same mission just for their own side.

So if you have to evacuate a spy or shot down comrade, the Entente players recue one and the Central Powers recue one.

When I saw your bomber collision, I realized that I haven't write down clearly enough the meaning of formation flight. :erk:

I added this to the scenario rules now. :smack:

First I was a little bit confused what's wrong wit this AAR. Now I have to apologize, hope you want to fly this mission again and want you to shot down a few Entente giants. :salute:

Lt. S.Kafloc
02-11-2013, 09:47
If I had some I would.

Nightbomber
02-11-2013, 10:49
Yes, the core point of the mission was to have both bombers flying in a formation (the same cards);) That's why repeating the scenario is an option, but it's up to you to decide, Neil:) Of course, collisions occur... (to often in my games:D)

flash
02-11-2013, 11:05
Well I liked it, correct thinking re the damage & two sausage noshers crashing into eachother has got to be good news ! If you have a couple of Entente 2-seaters you could use them instead Neil - nice AEG by the way ! :thumbsup:

tikkifriend
02-11-2013, 12:21
A Victory is a victory :pray: Might be worth giving it another go just for the hell of it :salute:

Paul

Flying Officer Kyte
02-11-2013, 12:33
:salute:I must admit I enjoyed every minute of it, especially the guest appearance of one of my chaps. I will be having a quiet word with him later in my office.:smack:
For someone without any bombers of the correct type, I think you made a good fist of it.:thumbsup:
Mind you, it would not do to let everybody go off willy-nilly on their own missions, or where would we all be then eh?;)
Kyte.

Omegalazarus
02-11-2013, 13:27
NIce AAR format. :thumbsup: I liked the story of it. The intro picture of the mangled wreck hooked me into reading it. I am not playing the campaign (not enough planes) so I can't speak to that aspect of it.:confused:

I liked reading it, though.

Lt. S.Kafloc
02-11-2013, 13:41
Might give it another bash tomorrow. I've only got DH4's for the Allies. I'll have to think on it.

Baron Rolf
02-11-2013, 21:34
I liked this AAR Neil , shame about what happened to your big birds mate , btw is that AEG a Shapeways or other make as it looks rather nice ?

gully_raker
02-11-2013, 23:45
:eek: Yes very dramatic AAR there & the first pic of the crashed Bombers got me hooked as well.

Should be no problems in running the 2 DH-4's as the allies did use them for bombing missions.:D

Lt. S.Kafloc
02-12-2013, 02:02
AEG are skytrex red eagle range, which I believe someone else has taken over. There is a thread somewhere about this. I hope they redo the instructions. The blow up does not give all the info as to where the struts go. I had to work some of them out from a photo of an AEG!

Flying Officer Kyte
02-12-2013, 02:43
I hope they redo the instructions. The blow up does not give all the info as to where the struts go. I had to work some of them out from a photo of an AEG!

Should have gone to Strut Savers.;)

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/content.php?156-Building-the-A-E-G-G1V

Rob.