PDA

View Full Version : AAR FLIGHT OF THE GIANT Allies 52Sq. ( The Bulldogs.)

Flying Officer Kyte
02-10-2013, 03:32
FLIGHT OF THE GIANTS.

It was just before dusk on Saturday 16th of February that a Flight of Giant Bombers set out from Gontrode commanded by Hauptmann von Bentivengni.
Their destination was London.
During the raid R12, commanded by Oberleutnant Hans Joachim von Seydlitz-Gerstenberg accidentally hit the Woolwich balloon apron clipping a cable with his port wing. Despite falling 1000 feet the aircraft continued on its way to bomb Beckenham, and returned home with only minor damage to the wing. Von Bentivengni in R39, bombed the Royal Hospital Chelsea with a giant 2,200lb bomb which demolished the North Eastern Wing, killing five members of one family. He was probably aiming at Victoria. Station, which was half a mile away.

Just before dawn on Sunday the 17th of February, “The Bulldogs” were briefed by Major Kyte. Two of the raiders had been spotted crossing the coast by an RNAS Airship. They were off course and obviously in trouble because both were flying at a low altitude.

Due to heavy losses amongst 52 Sq. on the previous mission, an ad hoc strike force flying three Bristols was immediately scrambled to try and intercept the Giants before they could cross into German held territory.

With Kyte grounded by “Boom” and Bouncer-Smythe hors de combat, it fell upon Hawkwood to lead the Flight. As his observer he took “Chips” Woodhead, with Perry and Farmer plus the old team of Frank Winter and “Dodger” Dodgson in the third machine.
The trio had plenty of time to gain altitude as dawn came up, and once clear of the few scudding clouds they had a clear view over the whole Front on the crisp but bright February morning.
It was Winter who spotted the first of the returning Giants, and firing a flare to alert his leader he swung his aircraft onto an interception course and dived towards the unsuspecting Gotha.

Hawkwood and Woodhead had already spotted the other aircraft however, and continued to turn, dropping into the cloud base in an attempt to take the Giant by surprise.
Inadvertently all three aircraft managed to miss each other in the cloud, and the only indication that Hawkwood got was a massive turbulence beneath his Biff as if a giant Leviathan had just submerged below him in the cloudbank.

Swiftly, Winter homed in upon the Gotha, and was joined by Perry, who swept in from behind.

Although Perry was unable to score a hit because of engine damage sustained as he passed in front of the Staaken,

Winter’s three forward guns riddled the fuselage, doing significant damage and setting it on fire, without taking any damage in the return of fire.

Meanwhile, although still unsighted by the cloud, Hawkwood pulled an Immelmann and set off in pursuit of the Staaken.

Winter and Perry continued to harry the Gotha, and on the next attack, although Winter had his rudder damaged, he again made his superior fire power tell and wounded the rear gunner.

Hawkwood finally cleared the clouds, but as he opened fire upon the Staaken he received a burst in return which seemed to cease abruptly after doing a little damage to one of his wing spars.

The Gotha was now in dire straits, being harried from the rear by Perry, and with no gunner to return fire. Perry now crippled its Left rudder.

At that very moment, just as the fight reached the Allied front line, two Albatrii hove into view some distance to the East but climbing rapidly to the succour of their beleaguered colleagues.

Long before they came up, however, Hawkwood put a round through the Staaken’s second engine, the first having been knocked out over the English coast by a marauding Comic Camel of the Home Defence Force.

All was now up with the Gotha, for Perry delivered the coup de grace, sending it crashing to its doom in the middle of No man’s Land.

By now the Staaken’s third engine was smoking badly as Hawkwood cleverly positioned himself in its blind spot, thus avoiding any return fire from the rear gunners.

Having dispatched the Gotha, Perry and Winter were also closing in on the Staaken from the left.

Very soon it was bracketed in a hail of fire from three directions, making it unable to concentrate its return fire on any single aircraft.

It was at this moment that Hawkwood set it on fire, just as Perry’s forward gun jammed and return fire from the Staaken started his engine smoking badly.

As they pursued the Staaken over the German side of the trenches, Perry continued to receive fire from the Hun’s rear guns.

At last Hawkwood got into position to fire another telling burst which took out the last of the Staaken’s engines, and sent it down to plough a furrow through the German rear support trenches, as its pilot skilfully glided the still burning aircraft to a halt.

Several figures emerged from the wreck, but before Hawkwood could check up on them the two Albatrii, arrived on the scene intent on revenge.

As the Hun machines bore down on Perry and Hawkwood, Winter, who was still struggling with his stuttering engine emerged from the clouds on their starboard side and raked the nearest machine with his triple guns causing it to stagger left, before his guns jammed once again.

As the planes flicked past each other, all just avoiding collisions, the only successful hits came from Winter’s observer, “Dodger “Dodgson who scored another hit on the closest Albatros,

before all the aircraft separated and attempted to swing back into the action.

The two Albatrii taking refuge in the clouds once again.

Hawkwood now had a narrow escape, as the leading Albatros suddenly appeared out of the cloud an fired on him from his port side.

As he attempted to seek safety in the cloud himself, the second Hun machine suddenly appeared and he was caught by fire from both machines at once.

Frank Winter now dived to his Flight commander’s rescue and drove off the rearmost Hun, before his guns jammed for the third time that morning.

The Bristols now all pursued the rearmost Albatros until two of them getting him in crossfire, he came suddenly to pieces in the air and fell to the ground. The credit for the aircraft going to Winter’s rear gunner Dodgson.

The fallen German’s compatriot was so incensed by the sudden demise of his Wingman, that he spattered Winter’s machine with his Spandaus, before diving straight at him in a suicidal frenzy.

Despite Winter attempting to avoid the oncoming Hun, his engine faltered at the wrong moment and both aircraft collided as they banked in the same direction.

Winter came off the worst, his plane taking more serious damage, and Winter himself being struck on the head by flying debris.

Finally managing to bank away, the Germans machine was seen to have caught fire.

With no more to be gained by either side, all planes broke away toward their own side of the lines, but not before Dodgson managed to get a parting shot into the retreating Hun with the last of his ammunition, and being seen on his way by Winter with his own engine on its last legs.

Frank did not persue too determinedly.

He managed to bring down his machine in a stalling glide at the first airfield on the Allied side of the trenches, and the German succeeded in extinguishing his fire by a steep dive just before landing back at his home field.

THE BUTCHER’S BILL.
Bulldogs.
All returned to base. Winter wounded and his machine was written off as un-repairable.
Hawkwood was credited with one Staaken destroyed.
Perry, credited with one Gotha destroyed.
Dodgson, credited with one Albatros destroyed.

GERMANS.
Losses:- One Staaken, one Gotha, and one Albatros.

One Albatros returned to airfield with serious damage.

Rob.

tikkifriend
02-10-2013, 04:52
Well done those men, showed the Hun a thing or 2, they won"t be back to bomb old Blight in a hurry will they:guns:

Drinks all round in the Mess:drinks::drinks:
Paul
ps did you mean to have all the photos stacked at the foot of the page:confused:

Flying Officer Kyte
02-10-2013, 06:26
Well done those men, showed the Hun a thing or 2, they won"t be back to bomb old Blight in a hurry will they:guns:

ps did you mean to have all the photos stacked at the foot of the page:confused:

I'm glad you asked that question Paul.

Actually the only Staaken to emerge unscathed R25 piloted by Ltn Max Borchers returned on the very next night. He dropped bombs on Eltham, Cambridge University Press, and the Midland Grand Hotel at St. Pancras station.

:mad::mad::mad:
At least you did not see the first attempt I made at this today. I have been posting pictures for three years now without the least problem until today. After an hour of putting this together with its pictures in the correct places, I posted only to find all the damned things red Xing.
So I deleted and before spending another fruitless hour, I loaded all the pictures again and posted just to see if they were actually there this time. By now it was lunch time so I abandoned them at the bottom of the page until I could finish the job. I hope you like the result better now. I now intend to take to the bottle along with Kyte for the rest of the day.
Rob.

tikkifriend
02-10-2013, 10:33
Ah a case of the Gremlins ( the beasts not the beer:eek:)
Still alls well that ends well . By the way old chap where did you get those tasty collision cards I think they should be standard issue for the "Final Months "scenarios :minis:
Paul

flash
02-10-2013, 10:49
You and the chaps have certainly earned a bottle or three for that tally ! Snowy took a hit though so he will need to checked by the M.O. before his next Mess outing - try & save him some ;)

Flying Officer Kyte
02-10-2013, 11:27
Ah a case of the Gremlins ( the beasts not the beer:eek:)
Still alls well that ends well . By the way old chap where did you get those tasty collision cards I think they should be standard issue for the "Final Months "scenarios :minis:
Paul

Have a look here Paul.
Post 87.
http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?4507-Collisions-Options-and-most-played-option&p=191183&viewfull=1#post191183

Rob.

Flying Officer Kyte
02-10-2013, 11:46
You and the chaps have certainly earned a bottle or three for that tally ! Snowy took a hit though so he will need to checked by the M.O. before his next Mess outing - try & save him some ;)

Just bloody good luck with the cards all the way Dave. I never expected to draw two more engine damage when I gave the Staaken the duff engine at the start. Then to draw a two for one of the strikes was unbelievable.
Really I should have handicapped the Gotha, it being the faster machine. The only wasted card was the "Bang" as he would have gone down on the next Fire Damage card anyway. Also getting the rear gunner of the Gotha so early was lucky, and Hawkwood getting in the Blind spot of the Staaken for two moves was sheer luck.
My Night Fighter would have been lethal if he had not had three jams, and I would be averse to playing him again unless he was up against the Staaken, which is what I intended to use him for, but it just did not work out that way when by misjudgement of the closing speeds we all overshot each other in the cloud.
Great fun all round and a tribute to the skill of the writer Sven.
Rob.

Lt. S.Kafloc
02-10-2013, 12:12
Fantastic report. :thumbsup:Loved the pics, :Despecially the first with all the bombers. Great story :thumbsup:, flowed nicely and the pics and dialogue kept up the frantic sense of the battle.:salute: Many drink coming your way in the mess....well done
:drinks::drinks::drinks::drinks::drinks::thumbsup:

:fokker: Neil

itchy
02-10-2013, 12:27
Great AAR and wonderful pictures ,love all those bombers .

flash
02-11-2013, 01:48
Just bloody good luck with the cards all the way Dave. I never expected to draw two more engine damage when I gave the Staaken the duff engine at the start. Then to draw a two for one of the strikes was unbelievable.
Really I should have handicapped the Gotha, it being the faster machine. The only wasted card was the "Bang" as he would have gone down on the next Fire Damage card anyway. Also getting the rear gunner of the Gotha so early was lucky, and Hawkwood getting in the Blind spot of the Staaken for two moves was sheer luck.
My Night Fighter would have been lethal if he had not had three jams, and I would be averse to playing him again unless he was up against the Staaken, which is what I intended to use him for, but it just did not work out that way when by misjudgement of the closing speeds we all overshot each other in the cloud.
Great fun all round and a tribute to the skill of the writer Sven.
Rob.

Bet Winter had few kind words for the Armourer when he got back ! It's tricky to come to grips with these slower types, I found zig zagging was the best solution but that doesn't always work out when the target does the same thing ! Sven turned out a gem with this one :thumbsup:

Marechallannes
02-11-2013, 07:55
Great AAR, Rob.

It's nice to see the Zeppelin Staaken in action. :clap:

Think a Luftstreitkräfte General has to talk a few serious words to von Bentivengni. Missing the target half a mile is inacceptable. :hmm:

Nightbomber
02-11-2013, 10:19
Great report, Rob:thumbsup: Pity you had problems with photos posting, but that's life - I suffered that as well.
The excellent performance of your boys and a very poor show of the bomber crews find every Hun Fan frustrated ;)
Congrats :clap:

Flying Officer Kyte
02-11-2013, 11:18
Great AAR, Rob.

It's nice to see the Zeppelin Staaken in action. :clap:

Think a Luftstreitkräfte General has to talk a few serious words to von Bentivengni. Missing the target half a mile is inacceptable. :hmm:

That raid was an actual raid on London on that night. The incident with the Balloon Barrage also actually happened, as did the return of the solo machine on the following night.
Rob.