PDA

View Full Version : Red Eagle Miniatures

Burt
02-03-2013, 12:40
I don't think this has been posted before but the Skytrex range of 1/144 WWI aircraft has now been taken over by Red Eagle Miniatures.
They have a nicely presented website at http://www.redeagleminiatures.co.uk/
Don

Flying Officer Kyte
02-04-2013, 01:42
Thanks for highlighting this Don. I was not aware that the deal had gone through yet. It does look a fine site, and relieves a lot of the concern about the future of the line.
Rob.

Flying Officer Kyte
02-06-2013, 01:08
I have now been in touch with the new owner of the Red Eagle range and he seems like a very amenable chap.
I'm sure from what he says that we will find the presentation of the models up to standard, with a few of the problems on the instructions for construction ironed out.
Rob.

Lt. S.Kafloc
02-06-2013, 01:33
Great pointer for the new site. Just had a look. Brain now ticking over as to what to buy next.......

Flying Officer Kyte
02-06-2013, 02:56
Great pointer for the new site. Just had a look. Brain now ticking over as to what to buy next.......

That's my problem. I'm having to think about what to buy very carefully as my storage space is running out, and there are all the Ares new and re releases coming up.
My Dwarf and Goblin Armies may well have to be seriously reduced, if not my English Civil War ones to make some room.
Rob.

Dark Horse
02-06-2013, 03:08
That's my problem. I'm having to think about what to buy very carefully as my storage space is running out, and there are all the Ares new and re releases coming up.
My Dwarf and Goblin Armies may well have to be seriously reduced, if not my English Civil War ones to make some room.
Rob.

I ran out of room years ago - stuff now being stacked in boxes or sold off!

Rabbit 3
02-06-2013, 04:21
Thanks for highlighting this Don. I was not aware that the deal had gone through yet. It does look a fine site, and relieves a lot of the concern about the future of the line.
Rob.
It must have just been finalised over the last week or so as Skytrex were still selling the models at the end of January but now redirect you to Red Eagle.
One thing I notice that I`m sure everybody will approve of is that Red Eagle are charging less than Skytrex were for the models!
Also handy is that the new website allows you to decide which type of roundels/crosses you want for the model so if you want to, for example build a Belgian Hanriot H.D.1 rather than an Italian one you don`t need to order the extra decals.

Guntruck
02-06-2013, 05:19
It One thing I notice that I`m sure everybody will approve of is that Red Eagle are charging less than Skytrex were for the models!

The more cynical amongst us may suspect that the massive price hike was Skytrex's way of getting as much money from their products before they off-loaded them. But I am sure I am wrong :hmm:

Nevertheless, good luck to Red Eagle. I hope we see some new aircraft coming out in the future, and some re-mastered models from the existing range.

Carl_Brisgamer
02-06-2013, 06:45
It must have just been finalised over the last week or so as Skytrex were still selling the models at the end of January but now redirect you to Red Eagle.
One thing I notice that I`m sure everybody will approve of is that Red Eagle are charging less than Skytrex were for the models!
Also handy is that the new website allows you to decide which type of roundels/crosses you want for the model so if you want to, for example build a Belgian Hanriot H.D.1 rather than an Italian one you don`t need to order the extra decals.

Hi Robert, at 5 quid a miniature the Red Eagle lads have taken the prices back to where they were before the sale of Skytrex was announced. Very decent of them. And the decal option is very useful.

PilGrim
02-08-2013, 03:47
Hi Robert, at 5 quid a miniature the Red Eagle lads have taken the prices back to where they were before the sale of Skytrex was announced. Very decent of them. And the decal option is very useful.

Yes, that looks a very positive move on their behalf, and a nice new website. Good luck to them

grumpybear
02-08-2013, 05:51
It's nice to know we will still be able to get those planes

KirkH
02-13-2013, 10:58
This may be a dumb question, but do the models come with decals other than the roundels/crosses? Also, do the models include the appropriate lozenge decals or must those be ordered separately? Thanks.

Burt
02-13-2013, 11:09
In my limited experience you only get the roundels and crosses.
Don

This may be a dumb question, but do the models come with decals other than the roundels/crosses? Also, do the models include the appropriate lozenge decals or must those be ordered separately? Thanks.

KirkH
02-13-2013, 11:41
Ah, OK. So if the plane(s) I want to build require markings other than roundels/crosses I need to find some other way to buy/create them? Rats.

Rabbit 3
02-13-2013, 12:07
Ah, OK. So if the plane(s) I want to build require markings other than roundels/crosses I need to find some other way to buy/create them? Rats.

Seems to be the way things generally work in I/144 but there are a number of small scale suppliers out there who can provide some more elaborate decals if you want.
In the US there`s Revieresco and in the UK Dom of course and Mike at 1/144 direct.

And this site is a good source for losenge sheets.http://www.wwishop.com/81-1-144-decals
Just one of their sheets can cover a lot of planes.

Now that the Skytrex range has changed hands perhaps the new owners might think it worthwhile to do some more complex sheets.

Timmo UK
02-16-2013, 11:58
The best thing he could do would be to remaster the range slowly to bring them up to a higher standard. I'd go for resin wings and tailplanes with metal bodies. I even worked out a way how he could make them easy build using brass etch that just needed folding and gluing, or soldering (for those who can). This would get the u/c, struts and cabine struts down to four pieces. I gave up on them years ago as I thought the quality shocking. I'd have to fill all the holes and re-drill them to get struts to line up. With the etch system I worked out there wouldn't be any holes needed in the wings.

Doug
02-16-2013, 14:00
Good point Tim, and at least they are still around.

Rabbit 3
02-17-2013, 04:15
Their main advantage has always been their relative cheapness and easy availability which means that they are quite useful if you`re prepared to do some kitbashing and accept that there are going to be some disasters.
One thing about poorly designed or old models is that having a go at improving or modifying them is less intimidating and a good way to practice and strech modeling skills!

They do need an upgrade though, particularly the older ones.
I suppose production costs are a factor which probably means going over to resin with metal components unless Tim`s photo etch system can produce components in bulk cheaply.

Rabbit 3
02-28-2013, 04:21
I`ve just noticed that Red Eagle have now taken over Skytrex`s old 1/1200 Napoleonic ship range as well.

Now if these happen to be compatable with the upcoming `Sails of Glory` game then it looks like they might just end up getting a lot of customers from our end!

wargamer
02-28-2013, 04:30
I`ve just noticed that Red Eagle have now taken over Skytrex`s old 1/1200 Napoleonic ship range as well.

Now if these happen to be compatable with the upcoming `Sails of Glory` game then it looks like they might just end up getting a lot of customers from our end!

Nope, no such luck, SoG is 1/1000 instead.

Jager
02-28-2013, 10:58

Nope, no such luck, SoG is 1/1000 instead.

I'm willing to wait and see what the diff is with the two next to each other, before saying an absolute no go.
Karl (being optimistic)

wargamer
02-28-2013, 11:06
Well you would probably be able to use 1/1200 as the next size lower, i.e. a 1/1200 scale SOL could be your ares scale frigate, and so on.

Nick_ace
02-28-2013, 11:12
Great new site!!!!:DI absolutely like it!!
Those planes look really good to me... some mistakes in my option but GREAT!!!!:D:thumbsup:

Nick

Timmo UK
03-25-2013, 10:44
Their main advantage has always been their relative cheapness and easy availability which means that they are quite useful if you`re prepared to do some kitbashing and accept that there are going to be some disasters.
One thing about poorly designed or old models is that having a go at improving or modifying them is less intimidating and a good way to practice and strech modeling skills!

They do need an upgrade though, particularly the older ones.
I suppose production costs are a factor which probably means going over to resin with metal components unless Tim`s photo etch system can produce components in bulk cheaply.

Yes, there is no reason why photo etch should be expensive to produce.

Air Battle Mgr
05-18-2013, 15:08
Does anyone own the machine gun or artillery trucks they offer?

Carl_Brisgamer
05-18-2013, 15:37
Does anyone own the machine gun or artillery trucks they offer?

Yes, I have two AA arty trucks. Good sculpts, drivers and gunners cast as part of the miniature. The guns can rotate 360 degrees.

Flying Officer Kyte
05-18-2013, 22:59
Here is a picture of my trucks in action.
Rob.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=49728&d=1339671475

Air Battle Mgr
05-18-2013, 23:04
First, thank you. I have been looking into getting some figures to enhance the AA and machine gun cards. Second, I was also looking at the balloons because the WoW ones are basically all gone. Do they look OK mixed together?

Timmy

Here is a picture of my trucks in action.
Rob.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=49728&d=1339671475

Flying Officer Kyte
05-19-2013, 11:47
I am rather a fuss pot when it comes to matching things up, and i consider them O.K. but have painted the orange plastic ropes on the Nexus Balloons to match these Skytrex/Red Eagle ones.
Rob.

7eat51
05-19-2013, 12:49
Rob, that is a very nice setup. I definitely have some work to do this summer on aesthetics. I do believe you have encouraged me to try a repaint of the one of my Nexus balloons.

boomerpete53
05-23-2013, 20:51
I have looked at the site and am thinking that these may be a fit, BUT! i have one big Q? why are there NO prices on the Starter Packs & Squadron Packs? this is the way i would buy in bulk. go look at them, http://www.redeagleminiatures.co.uk/

Flying Officer Kyte
05-24-2013, 00:40
I have looked at the site and am thinking that these may be a fit, BUT! i have one big Q? why are there NO prices on the Starter Packs & Squadron Packs? this is the way i would buy in bulk. go look at them, http://www.redeagleminiatures.co.uk/

I just looked at Redeagle and can't see any starter packs mentioned. Where did you find them Pete?
Rob.

Rabbit 3
05-24-2013, 02:16
Seperate section marked Starter Packs, they are quoting £20.00 for a pack.
If they are the same as the old Skytrex version then what you get are one each of the Sopwith Camel, SE5a, Fokker Triplane and Albatros D.III models plus a copy of the old Paragon rules.

The squadron packs seem to run to £16.00 each except for the Gotha one which is £23.00.
Not bad when you consider that one official G.V model would cost a bit more than that and here you get three of them (and this model IS a G.V not a G.IV)!

There dosn`t seem to be a problem with the site quoting prices here in the UK but its still a very basic one so perhaps there`s a bug in the currency conversion feature?

Dom S
05-24-2013, 03:36
The first time I used their site I had the same "no prices showing" issue, but found that simply clicking add to cart brought up the shopping cart, which did show the price. Slightly faffy, but at least you can find the info that way.