PDA

View Full Version : AAR Mission 15: Transferred......Scheise!

Lt. S.Kafloc
01-25-2013, 00:13
Jasta 2 was being moved for some well earned R&R and a re-fit. We were all looking forward to some time off in Aachen. Before leaving the CO wanted to see me, probably to congratulate me on my last successes.
“Ah Karl, come in….I’ve got some bad news. You won’t be joining the squadron at our new airfield. The Kaiser’s Eagle’s have run in to a spot of bad luck and are in desperate need for experienced pilots. You Erwin Bohme, Hermann Vallendor, Richard Plange and a rear gunner,,,,ah yes Sgt Boreman are to report to their base today…..now go I have some important work to finish”.

Stunned I left the CO’s office and told the orderly to put my kit on the truck leaving with th other pilots belongings to the Kaiser’s Eagles airfield.
2 hours later we landed. At least something hot to eat and drink in the mess and a night in the town nearby….not to be! No sooner had we landed than we were told to report to the CO’s office.
“What do you mean sir? We have to take off in 15 minutes and attack a bridge! Our planes are being re-fuelled and re-armed as we speak….Schiese!” Erwin was not happy either. “I’ve only flown the Roland twice and never in combat Karl……”. “Don’t worry Erwin I’ve got your back”.
15 minutes later we were bouncing down the runway of our new, all be it temporary home.
We took some light archie over the lines and could see the target in the distance. Toady was cloudy, but sporadic, at least it wasn’t raining!:thumbsup:
Thumbs up Erwin dived lower…I could see a column of metallic behemoth’s moving slowly towards the bridge. English tanks…what a stupid name. No match for our own behemoth, our beloved Sturmpanzer-Kraftwagen. I didn’t notice 2 enemy planes coming out of the clouds until the last second…..! Pulling a tight right I managed to engage the enemy…
Both enemy pilots nearly flew into each other….but some hair raising throwing their planes around they managed to avoid each other. Erwin stood no chance against these so I turned to attack both enemy scouts. I managed to get bursts off into both and one kindly turned away from me so I got onto his rear and let him have it. I watched him spiral into the ground below.
I quickly found the second enemy plane and engaged him. Erwin now had the time to attack the target. He released his bombs right on target and seconds later as he banked away the sturdy bridge the enemy tanks were making for was lying in rubble.
Erwin flying low had not spotted an AA gun and it fired shot after shot at him. Erwin skilfully dodged most of the ‘incoming’ archie but inadvertently flew into range of a second gun which began to engage him.
By this time I managed to get onto the tail of the second Nieuport and gave him a longer burst. I hit the pilot. Staying on his tail I got a second burst In and hit the pilot.
Erwin was taking more archie from the rear gun but as he broke from behind a cloud ran slap bang into a second archie position. This time he wasn’t so lucky and I could see Ernst was wounded but he was waving to me so it wasn’t too bad.

I flew at the archie position to take the heat off Erwin. Just dodging the exploding shell.

Turning round this time the archie was more accurate. I could also see the damaged Nieuport rounding a cloud flying over the burning wreckage of his wingman below.
I got a quick burst in as we sped past each other, more archie fire following my every move. At least Erwin was in the clear. A quick glance behind and I could see flames coming from the Nieuport. The plane slowly spiralled into the ground…couldn’t see if the pilot made it out in time.

(the final butchers bill)

Butchers Bill - Bulldogs:
FO Terry Miller - SD - WIA - 0 Kills: (wounded) rolled 6 -1=5 injured - skip 1d3 (rolled 4) miss 2 scenarios .
2lt Idris Davies - SD - WIA - 0 Kills: (wounded) rolled 8-1=7 bruised - skip 1 scenario.

Butchers Bill - Eagles:
Ltn Karl Bolle - RTB - 2 Kills
Ltn Erwin Bohme - RTB - 0 Kills
VzFwbl Ernst Boreman - RTB - WIA - 0 Kills

Archidamus
01-25-2013, 01:45
I see the Kaiser's Eagles have received some veteran re-inforcements! Nice mission, and good AAR Neil

Flying Officer Kyte
01-25-2013, 01:53
:salute: An interesting sortie for your first scenario Neil. Your men aquitted themselves well,:clap: even if, like everyone else so far, you took the bridge rather than deal a death blow to the Tanks.
I like your approach to the report and once you fly out of that mist I can tell that your pictures will be just fine.:thumbsup:
Well done. :hatsoff:
Rob.

Lt. S.Kafloc
01-25-2013, 02:07
Erwin said afterward that the persistant archie was too much to go after the tanks. Anyway with no bridge they can't advance on that bit of the sector.

Baron Rolf
01-25-2013, 02:08
Once more Neil you've provided us with an entertaining AAR , and once more you've proved yourself to be a very deadly opponent thank the lord you're on my side not the Entente's as you'd prove to be a difficult opponent.

Lt. S.Kafloc
01-25-2013, 02:08
I only found out I had 3 small bombs in the plane on my return...I thought the rattling in the bottom of the cockpit were the empty bottles....not bombs! One wrong bump on landing it could have been very different. And Erwin let the whole lot go on the bridge, panicked a bit I think....

Lt. S.Kafloc
01-25-2013, 02:11
First time in clouds......pics a bit off. Apologies...(played this after returning from the club. Mission started at 23:30 and finished at 01:30...can't you tell I'm on leave).

flash
01-25-2013, 02:19
Bravo Neil, a creditable first outing for your Eagles & some much needed support for Andrzej - so prompt too - Well done mate !
I have taken the liberty of tweaking your Butchers Bill into the (supposed) standard format (so I can easily translate it onto the spreadsheet) if you could do similar next time round I would appreciate it (take note you other chaps !) - and you will have to roll the dice for young Boreman who was injured in the melee !

Marechallannes
01-25-2013, 02:28
A nice first Over the Trenches AAR, Neil.

We have to work on your German a little bit.;)

Crap = Scheiße

The pictures are horrible, but they show what we want to know.

Well done. :salute:

Nightbomber
01-25-2013, 09:23
Congrats on your successful mission, Neil! :clap:
Although the photos are somewhat misty, they picture the action really well.
Thanks for giving support to the Eagles [surprisingly, your story match with mine, you will be able to read it soon:)]

Now the bad news (but take it easy, please!):
Sometimes the mission author clarifies some issues in next posts of the thread, mostly when the soloing players ask for such clarification.
That was the point here as well. Take a look at Rob's post # 18.

"AH! There we differ Sven. I play to the rules on p 39 of the Wings of Glory Rule book.
Draw an A card. If there is no special damage the shot missed. If special damage is shown draw a C card to determine damage.
Rob."

There was a chance your planes were hit hard by archie over NML...

Never mind, I know it was an enjoyable mission!

WELCOME TO THE CAMPAIGN!
Andrzej.

Marechallannes
01-25-2013, 09:26
"AH! There we differ Sven. I play to the rules on p 39 of the Wings of Glory Rule book.
Draw an A card. If there is no special damage the shot missed. If special damage is shown draw a C card to determine damage.
Rob."

Neil - dear wingman, his name is Neil.

:lol:

Nightbomber
01-25-2013, 09:28
It was a quotation from Rob's post, answering YOUR question ;););)

Marechallannes
01-25-2013, 09:32
I played it the same way like stated in the rulebook. :serious:

That's why I had the opinion, that you changed our names.

Draw an "A"-damage card and determined if it's a special damage, or not. Then draw a "C"-damage-card.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=72407&d=1359135371

Normaly Neil's planes would have suffered three AA c-damage hits at the beginning.

Lt. S.Kafloc
01-25-2013, 09:44
Yep forgot to draw a C Card (didn't have the deck to hand....more haste) and drew another A deck card for damage.....wont happen again.

Ernst Boreman: rolled 4-1(1 wound)+3(landed at aerodrome safely)=6 miss 1d3 missions (rolled 5)=miss 3 missions.

Apologies for missing this one.

Nightbomber
01-25-2013, 09:46
Yeah, but you shouldn't have drawn cards over the bridge, IMHO. Look at Rob's post #20. You were in contact with an enemy plane - no AA shooting :) Anyway it turned well for you!

Marechallannes
01-25-2013, 09:51
That's right Andrzej, but the enemy plane was a level above me. I decided to fire the AA gun.

Nb. Archie fire will cease whenever you are on the enemy side of the clouds. :confused:

To my shame, I didn't care for the range of the AA guns exactly.:hmm:

So they had a kind of steady fire.

Obviously the mission burned my brain, too. :dazed:

Lt. S.Kafloc
01-25-2013, 10:08
Erwin was flying on his own by then, Lt Bolle was embroiled with the 2 Nieuports. Then Lt Bolle broke off from combat and headed over to give Erwin a hand at the bridge. At no time when engaged by or with enemy aircraft was the archie firing. But it was damn accurate once they got the range.

flash
01-25-2013, 11:26
Got to say I just took flak on the way in and on the way out - far too embroiled in the action to bother with flak other than that. One thing's for sure Neil took more than enough flak to be going on with ;)
Thanks for rolling Boremans wound Neil - you will have to find a new rear seater for that kite now ! :(

tikkifriend
01-25-2013, 12:38
Good AAr but I think the local weather conditions gotup North the best of your photos :hmm:
Paul

Lt. S.Kafloc
01-25-2013, 15:03
Yep, I was absolutely knackered after a good flight at the club (7pm-1030pm). Didn't start laying the mission (15) out until about 1130pm....finished it at 0130am ....I think. My mark one eyeball was definitely off the 'ball'.

Nightbomber
01-25-2013, 15:15
Yep, I was absolutely knackered after a good flight at the club (7pm-1030pm). Didn't start laying the mission (15) out until about 1130pm....finished it at 0130am ....I think. My mark one eyeball was definitely off the 'ball'.

A real fighter pilot. Tough and ready to fight. My taste. :thumbsup:
Neil, have you thought about Prague Summer Con 2013?

Lt. S.Kafloc
01-25-2013, 15:34
Dates? How do I talk swmbo into that one?

Lt. S.Kafloc
01-25-2013, 15:37
Yep I understood all that...just in my haste I forgot to get the C deck out played the cards then bashed on regardless. The AA at the bridge more than made up for it......too bloody accurate.

Flying Officer Kyte
01-26-2013, 00:52

If only I had known Neil, I would have written it for a night bomber action.:D

I can just about remember when I could manage that type of life style.:surrender:

Rob.

Nightbomber
01-26-2013, 04:13
Dates? How do I talk swmbo into that one?

Here is the link with all necessary data, Neil.
My group comes with families, SWMBOs and kids. Last year we had a blast!

Some UK Wing members will be present as well! David Manley and - probably - Boney10. Thomatchef from Belgium (with his family), Sven and one other Kamerad from Germany. I will bring two families with me with kids, the best pilots;)

Marechallannes
01-26-2013, 05:52
... with kids, the best pilots;)

Tricky & dangerous ones...

...and always laughing when shooting you down in flames. :erk:

Lt. S.Kafloc
01-26-2013, 16:10
No link showing Andrjez...can you repost?