PDA

View Full Version : Flatland Regional Association of Gamers - May 3 - 5 Regina, Sk, Canada Event

celticgriffon
01-18-2013, 10:50
Hey everyone,

This year at our annual convention I am hoping to run a Wings of War WWI event. I am hoping we will have up to 14 players (7 per side).

I have an idea I wanted to brainstorm with you all here at the aerodrome!

At the start of play each side will have one Commander. Their will be three fronts to fight - 2 side fronts (two seater bombing missions) and 1 main front. I was thinking the main battle will perhaps be an attack on an aerodrome. Team Victory Points for the side fronts will be 5 each (for successful attack or defense of the bombing mission). Victory Points for the main front will be worth 10 points. Each casualty will add the following: (fighter or two seater plane - 1 pt and balloons - 2 pts). I don't think we will be using bombers in the game. Each commander will have a two seater instead of a fighter.

I have 7 balloons in my collection... so I think I may also have 2 per side. I will not be playing - just moderating the ground flak/machines guns/aa guns and perhaps making the balloon decisions.

After randomizing the players into sides I am going to ask the commander to split his/her forces. A minimum of 1 player must be present in each front. This will be assigned secretly.

As players eliminate their opponents on the side battlefield they can then enter the fray on the master board. Players will be allowed to respawn in some way as well.

We will be using miniatures with simple altitude (climb gains 1 level, dive loses 1 level, overdive loses 2 levels). Collisions will happen using my custom collision cards (in the house rules of the files section) for any overlapping bases on the same altitude band.

These are just some beginning thoughts but I would love to hear your opinion on how to do this well. I really want WOW/Glory to become one of the talked about events of our convention. And I think splitting the games up initially into mini groups will build and add a lot of excitement for the players.

Cheers,
Michael Becker

CappyTom
01-19-2013, 07:18
Sounds good so far. Are the side battles going to have objectives, such as photo recon or something?

Thomas

celticgriffon
01-19-2013, 08:27
Sounds good so far. Are the side battles going to have objectives, such as photo recon or something?

Thomas
Hey Tom,

Good to hear from you. Yes, I was thinking each side battle would have an objective for each side. But with only 7 players per side perhaps I would be splitting the groups too thin with three tables?

I want each aspect to be important to the final reckoning before all players move into the grand scale finale.

Thoughts?

Michael