PDA

View Full Version : National: Scramble Alert - Illinois / Wisconsin Squadrons

crashx
01-12-2013, 07:32
Attention Illinois and Wisconsin Squadrons!!! An air offensive is planned for Saturday, Feb. 2 from 10a - 4pm @ St Bridgets Church Parish Center, 600 Clifford Ave. Loves Park, IL 61111. For those attending, I would please ask for a two(2) cans of Fruit donation per person, as this helps out the church food pantry (and lets us have the room or free). I will be sending out an additional message later this month with any other details. Please respond to this post if you plan to attend and/or have questions. Anyone that was not at the last scramble, don't be shy, come fly with the group regardless of skill level, as all are welcome!!!;)

T. N. Marx
Northern Illinois Flight Leader

BBSuds
01-12-2013, 08:09
Flight Leader Tim, Beth and myself will scramble for this mission. We should be down by 10:00am with our cans of grub. :) What about pot luck again? :eat:

crashx
01-12-2013, 22:01
Yes, I plan on pot luck again!!! A fed crew is a happy crew!!!

johnandtricia
01-13-2013, 09:21
I will be there as well look forward to seeing you all again

Beer&pretzels
01-13-2013, 18:31
I'll be there.

rote Flügel
01-20-2013, 20:16
Hey I think I can pull this off.. lol.. and I will be bringing some new planes.. Royal got in the repaints for series 1.. I now have 3 Red Barons.. lol.. but one is for a repaint for Joe and another is a repaint for me.. hahah.. the new paint jobs look great..

Beer&pretzels
01-23-2013, 15:04
Looks like Pat will make this one, too.

rote Flügel
01-23-2013, 16:01
I need to get painting too..lol.. I have people waiting on planes.. and I have a few I wanna do for me too.. sigh.. the madness sets in again.. Oi vey...

BBSuds
01-27-2013, 07:04
Tim, Rick and Joe will not make it. :cry: Beth and I will be down by 10:00am :guns: What kind of a head count do you have so far?

crashx
01-27-2013, 18:03
Looks like there will be several of us!!! We will have a good group!!!

Trench Wench
01-27-2013, 20:49
Hey... make sure there are some trenches for me... it's been a while and I am ready for action....fly low and use the "woman card" as I call it! Can't wait !!

Beer&pretzels
01-29-2013, 18:09
Tim, do you have any scenarios planned? I have a few that I have been working on.

crashx
01-29-2013, 20:15
Tim, do you have any scenarios planned? I have a few that I have been working on.

If you have something set, we can go with your stuff. I didn't get all of my planes done for the one I was planning, but I do have four(4) Spads from the 94th Aerosquadron done.

Beer&pretzels
01-30-2013, 12:52
I've received the repainted Dr.1's, D.Va's and the new Camel. I have enough planes to run the "Last Flight of the Red Baron" scenario that I've been planning for the last several months.

crashx
01-31-2013, 20:27
Sounds great!!! That should be a wild hunt!!! For everyone, I'll have a couple of crockpots of food there, so just bring a little something to add to lunch or an afternoon snack. Again, bring your own beverage, as there are no drink resources there!!!

Beer&pretzels
02-01-2013, 10:04
Here are the scenarios that I have thought up.

Scenario 1:
Action over Amien, or the Last Flight of the Red Baron. On March 21, 1918 Gen. Ludendorf launched the first of the offensives that have called the "Kaiserschalft" offensives. These offensives were meant to disrupt and demoralize the Allied armies before the American army could get established and up to combat capability. Ludendorfs first offensive, Operation Michael, was launched against lines held by the British Fifth Army. The German Army drove the Britsih lines nearly 10 miles backwards during the first 3 days of the offensive and eventually drove 20 miles into Allied territory. However, by early April, British resistance stiffened partially due to Gen. Haig committing veteran Australian and Canadian units to the front. Ludendorf called off the offensive on April 5. A big problem still existed for the German army. Supply lines were long and over ground that had been torn up during 4 years of battle. German front line troops were hastily constructed shallow trenches while British troops occupied more secure positions. This situation did not go unnoticed by the RAF and the other Allied air services. German ground units were under daily strafing and bombing attacks and were taking tremendous casualties. Ludendorf ordered the Luftstreitekraft to stand firmly against the RAF and repel the air attacks. Unfortunately, the German air service no longer held the numerical superiority in this sector that it enjoyed in March. That was the strategic situation that Manfred von Richtofen flew into on April 21, 1918.

Victory Conditions: In order for Germany to claim an overwhelming victory, the Red Baron must accomplish 3 goals; 1) he must shoot down an enemy plane, 2) he must destroy a British trench, and 3) he must survive. If the Red baron is shot down, German players can still achieve a minor tactical victory provided that he accomplished his first two goals and the remaining German players accomplish three of the following goals: German maintains air superiority, all British balloons are destroyed, British anti-aircraft artillery is destroyed, and/or the Germans have more points in trenches than the British.

The British players can achieve a major strategic and tactical victory by shooting down the Red Baron, maintain air superiority, and have more trench points than Germany at the end of the game.

The Red Baron will be flying a Dr. 1 and will have 2 ace abilities, lucky pilot and acrobatic pilot. German players can choose from Dr.1s or D.Va's. Depending on how many players we have, Germany may also get a Rumpler.

The Allies will have Sopwith Camels, Se5a's and RE. 8's. Roy Brown will have the bullet checker ability. Depending on how many people are playing the allies may also have DH. 4's and SPAD XIII's. I am not planning on playing but just running the sceanrio. if I have to play plan on seeing French SPADS.

I figure 1 player to play the Red Baron, everybody else gets 2 planes.

Scenario 2:
Catch me if you can. During August, 1917 the front lines along the Somme had become static. Both sides were still fighting but no major offensives were under way. However, both sides were still taking about 10,000 casualities per month. One trench section, manned by Australians, had become zeroed in by German artillery and was getting shelled daily. Aus was taking very heavy casualties in a small section of the front line. Balloon companies were set up to direct counter battery fire but could not pinpoint the German locations. Several RAAF RE. 8's and DH. 4's were equipped with a new invention, wireless telegraph and were sent up to direct the Royal Artillery. While directing artillery fire, one of the RE.8's was jumped by 6 DVa.'s. Sensing their comrades plight, the other two seaters joined the fray and were eventually joined by a pair of patrolling Se5a's.

German players will have DVa's, DIII.'s and maybe a pair of UFAC's. Aus players will have RE. 8's, DH.4s, SE5a's and maybe a couple Camels. The RE.8's will have telegraphs, the DH.4s will be carrying bombs. There will be 3 German artillery positions and 1 balloon along with several trenches. The Aus forces will have a balloon, and anti-aircraft artillery and several trenches.

Game set-up: One RE.8 starts on the board. On turn 3 another RE.8 comes on board. Turn 4 the 6 DVa.'s enter. Turn 5 the DH.4's arrive. On subsequent even number turns German planes arrive, while on odd turns British planes come in. Planes come in depending on how many players are present. There will be more German planes than Allies.

Victory conditions: British significant victory occurs if they can bomb or spot the artillery positions and shoot down the German balloon. German significant victory occurs if they can shoot down the two seaters, the balloon, and destroy the AA gun.

See you Sat.

Mike

phililphall
02-01-2013, 10:12
Sounds like a great deal of fun. I would like to be there but my health isn't the best and I never know what it will be like until I get up in the morning. And it is a three hour drive and we have 2-3" of snow predicted. Perhaps I will be able to make the next one, hopefully in the Spring. I'd like to meet all of you. And my wife plays too.

crashx
02-01-2013, 19:52
We will miss you Phil, but we will have more scrambles!!!

johnandtricia
02-01-2013, 20:27
Gentlemen and trench wench I will be unable to attend tomorrow I appear to have this flu thing and it is killing me and I do not wish to make any of you ill. I am sorry I was looking forward to it. The next time which I hope will be soon.

7eat51
02-01-2013, 21:08
Greetings Folks,

How often do you do these types of get-togethers? Do you travel around Illinois and Wisconsin? My wife and I have a previous engagement tomorrow, but it would be fun to meet you and play together sometime. We live in Bloomington, but our home is in Chicago, so we are often there. I would be open to putting together an event sometime when the weather is warmer and travel plans can be more assured.

I hope you have a wonderful time,
Eric

crashx
02-02-2013, 04:58
Gentlemen and trench wench I will be unable to attend tomorrow I appear to have this flu thing and it is killing me and I do not wish to make any of you ill. I am sorry I was looking forward to it. The next time which I hope will be soon.

Hope you feel better soon John!!! We will miss you, and I will select someone to take your share of the bullets!!!

BBSuds
02-02-2013, 05:28
Good mourning Tim. What a lovely start to the day. Beth and I are in the early stages of getting airbourne. Are we still on for today? How many pilots are we going to have?

crashx
02-02-2013, 05:30
Greetings Folks,

How often do you do these types of get-togethers? Do you travel around Illinois and Wisconsin? My wife and I have a previous engagement tomorrow, but it would be fun to meet you and play together sometime. We live in Bloomington, but our home is in Chicago, so we are often there. I would be open to putting together an event sometime when the weather is warmer and travel plans can be more assured.

I hope you have a wonderful time,
Eric

We started after Rock-Con last October. We are trying to get everyone together every 2-3 months. So far we are just playing in the Rockford (Loves Park) area, as we draw from Madison, Milwaukee, Aurora, and Chicago. But, if you want to set up something in by Chicago, pitch it out there and see who can make it. I'm willing to drive into the Chicago or down to Bloomington, but my problem is I work every other Saturday, and when I'm not working I'm a lot of times busy with our boy scouts!!!

crashx
02-02-2013, 05:41
Good mourning Tim. What a lovely start to the day. Beth and I are in the early stages of getting airbourne. Are we still on for today? How many pilots are we going to have?

We are still good to go!!! A couple of pilots are ill, so we will be a smaller group!!! By the way Bob, the spelling of morning is MORNING, and not MOURNING!!! (Or are we expecting a death in the sky's today?? If so, I think I may have a selection as to who will receive John's share of my bullets!!!)

BBSuds
02-02-2013, 05:53
That's for the pilots that are not going to be there.

johnandtricia
02-02-2013, 14:02
I have to know has bob streak continued?

crashx
02-02-2013, 16:08
I have to know has bob streak continued?

He had two, maybe three explosion cards!!! It is just amazing!!!

Beer&pretzels
02-02-2013, 19:57
Three explosion cards today. Two consecutive to start the second scenario. Of the first four damage cards that he received they were explosion (B), explosion (A), minor damage, then mid damage and on fire. I almost felt sympathy for him.

Beer&pretzels
02-02-2013, 20:13
Tim, Gunnar, et al. Did anyone notice any extraneous maneouver cards laying around after cleaning up? I might be missing a few

BBSuds
02-03-2013, 07:59
Good job yesterday with the scenarios guys. The first one with the Red Baron I liked and the second one I was not around long enough to determine anything. I would like to try the second one again sometime, hopefully with better results. I think I was in the second scenario for 5 min. with my 2 leaky planes! You know guys if you all played like me, we could probably get in 20 scenarios in the 7 hours!!!

7eat51
02-03-2013, 12:23
Hey Folks,

I am sorry we were not able to attend yesterday.

On Friday, I taught my wife and a friend how to play the basic game. I think in the future, we might have a group from Bloomington flying with you.

Have a good week,
Eric

7eat51
02-03-2013, 12:26
Wonderful. Thanks.

Is there a scout merit badge for wargaming or aviation? Could be a nice way to combine your interests.

We started after Rock-Con last October. We are trying to get everyone together every 2-3 months. So far we are just playing in the Rockford (Loves Park) area, as we draw from Madison, Milwaukee, Aurora, and Chicago. But, if you want to set up something in by Chicago, pitch it out there and see who can make it. I'm willing to drive into the Chicago or down to Bloomington, but my problem is I work every other Saturday, and when I'm not working I'm a lot of times busy with our boy scouts!!!

wargamer
02-03-2013, 12:49
http://www.scouting.org/%7E/media/Images/boyscouts/resources/32216/mb/art/s/AVIA.s.jpg.ashx?w=75&h=75&as=1Aviation http://www.scouting.org/%7E/media/Images/boyscouts/resources/32216/mb/art/s/COLL.s.jpg.ashx?w=75&h=75&as=1Collections http://www.scouting.org/%7E/media/Images/boyscouts/resources/32216/mb/art/s/MDAB.s.jpg.ashx?w=75&h=75&as=1Model design & building

These might cover the subject. Seems they don't have gaming for some reason.

7eat51
02-03-2013, 13:14
I imagine there is a lot of scouts who game - historical, fantasy, etc. Might be worth requesting one. Wish I stayed in when I was young.

http://www.scouting.org/%7E/media/Images/boyscouts/resources/32216/mb/art/s/AVIA.s.jpg.ashx?w=75&h=75&as=1Aviation http://www.scouting.org/%7E/media/Images/boyscouts/resources/32216/mb/art/s/COLL.s.jpg.ashx?w=75&h=75&as=1Collections http://www.scouting.org/%7E/media/Images/boyscouts/resources/32216/mb/art/s/MDAB.s.jpg.ashx?w=75&h=75&as=1Model design & building

These might cover the subject. Seems they don't have gaming for some reason.

crashx
02-06-2013, 17:12
We have brought out the planes a couple of times!!! The boys take a real interest in the miniatures!!! When I get finished with my peanuts squadron, I'll maybe have the troop play the scenario, Snoopy vs Red Baron with their respective squadrons!!! Losing team has kitchen duty all weekend at the next campout!!!

Beer&pretzels
02-06-2013, 19:43
Now that is something to play for!

7eat51
02-06-2013, 21:10
That's an awesome idea. KP duty. Great. If you do this, you will have to let us know how it goes, along with the campout.

We have brought out the planes a couple of times!!! The boys take a real interest in the miniatures!!! When I get finished with my peanuts squadron, I'll maybe have the troop play the scenario, Snoopy vs Red Baron with their respective squadrons!!! Losing team has kitchen duty all weekend at the next campout!!!

crashx
02-07-2013, 21:44
Just wait, I'll have this as a scenario for one of the scrambles one of these times!!! We can tweak it out before I give it to the kids!!! Who knows, this may be so fun to do that the leaders could take on the boys with the same deal!!!

crashx
02-07-2013, 21:49
Michael, do you think this silly little scenario would make a good Friday night game hook at Rock-Con??

7eat51
02-08-2013, 05:39
When is Rock-Con? If we can attend, is there anything we could do to help? Please let me know who is organizing the events, and I will send him/her a list of what I have in case anything is needed.

Michael, do you think this silly little scenario would make a good Friday night game hook at Rock-Con??

7eat51
02-08-2013, 05:44
Just wait, I'll have this as a scenario for one of the scrambles one of these times!!! We can tweak it out before I give it to the kids!!! Who knows, this may be so fun to do that the leaders could take on the boys with the same deal!!!

This would be great. I am starting a gaming club at school in the fall, and wouldn't mind playing something like this with my students. I think the theme would be appealing, or as you said, a nice hook. It would be a fun way to kick-off the club.

Beer&pretzels
02-08-2013, 08:11
Tim,
I think that would be a good idea for a Friday night intro. Eric, Rock Con is during Fall. They try for the second to last weekend in October or the first weekend in Nov. Hoping to run 2 events up there this year.