PDA

View Full Version : WGS: F4U Corsair or P-51?

Oberst Hajj
01-07-2013, 01:04
Yes WoW minis are 100% compatible. Spitfire (Mk.IX) and Corsair will appear in 2013.

Andrea,

Is the P-51 getting swapped out for a F4U in this release?

Angiolillo
01-07-2013, 01:13
No, the P-51 will come in the first part of the year together with Spitfire IX, Ki-84 and Fw-190, while the Corsair should be part of another series that I hope will see the light within the end of the year.

Oberst Hajj
01-07-2013, 01:18
That's great news! Although I think I'd put the F4U with the Ki-84... but that's with out knowing what else is coming out with the F4U as it stands!

Thanks for the quick response.

Oberst Hajj
01-07-2013, 01:19
Oh, and if the "F4U Series" does make it out this year, that would be three new series for WGS this year!

Carl_Brisgamer
01-07-2013, 01:53
Oh, and if the "F4U Series" does make it out this year, that would be three new series for WGS this year!

Very exciting news! I am hoping the set will also include the Messerschmitt Bf109G 'Gustav' and Lockheed P-38 Lightning. I don't know what the second Axis fighter would be, perhaps a Macchi MC.202 or 205V, or maybe a Nakajima Ki-100, for which we already have a card.

Oberst Hajj
01-07-2013, 02:00
I don't think we will see two US fighters in a single series release, so I'm betting no P-38 (but I'd love to have one!). And, it would most likely be in a twin engine release anyways. I think the second Axis fighter would have to be Japanese. What's left that would match up good against an F4U?

Carl_Brisgamer
01-07-2013, 02:30
I don't think we will see two US fighters in a single series release, so I'm betting no P-38 (but I'd love to have one!). And, it would most likely be in a twin engine release anyways. I think the second Axis fighter would have to be Japanese. What's left that would match up good against an F4U?

Nakajima Ki-44-IIb Shoki (Tojo), max speed 605kmh, armament 4 x 12.7mm MG (BB/B).

The Kawasaki Ki-100-Ib is slower at 590kmh, but is armed with 2 x 12.7mm and 2 x 20mm (CCB/CA), a little more competitive in the 'bang for your buck stakes'.

Carl_Brisgamer
01-07-2013, 03:40

Hmmm, perhaps a Hawker Typhoon or a Yak-9? If the 'Gustav' was not on the list I could cope with a Focke-Wulf Fw190A.

Jager
01-07-2013, 12:58

Hmmm, perhaps a Hawker Typhoon or a Yak-9? If the 'Gustav' was not on the list I could cope with a Focke-Wulf Fw190A.

Another possibility is the La-5 or 7.
Karl

Carl_Brisgamer
01-07-2013, 15:22
I could certainly cope with a radial engine fighter pack - F4U, La-5, Fw190A & Ki-100.

Naharaht
01-07-2013, 18:36
How about a Mitsubishi J2M2 Raiden? However it was only used in comparatively small numbers.

BobP
01-08-2013, 13:32
I see a few folks are looking for a Pacific theme. P-51 for each theater. Maybe a Shturmovik for the Russians. Kate to compliment the Val and S. M. 79 for the Italians. There are other planes to compliment each other in each theater.

csadn
01-08-2013, 17:46
I see a few folks are looking for a Pacific theme. P-51 for each theater. Maybe a Shturmovik for the Russians. Kate to compliment the Val and S. M. 79 for the Italians. There are other planes to compliment each other in each theater.

P-51s are overdone; moreover, most of the Mustangs deployed to China were the early models, not the bubble-tops everyone's familiar with. Give us the F4U -- one each USN, FAA, and Aeronavale.

The SM.79 was a trimotor; it goes with the bomber releases.

Oberst Hajj
01-08-2013, 19:39
As much as I look forward to the F4U, I think for gaming I'd rather have an SBD or other divebomber. WGS is very lacking in scenario and campaign play :(

bsmith13
01-09-2013, 06:56
As much as I look forward to the F4U, I think for gaming I'd rather have an SBD or other divebomber. WGS is very lacking in scenario and campaign play :(

I agree. Let's have a few more aircraft that allow historic scenarios in the Pacific. SBDs and maybe TBDs or TBFs, along with Kates would be nice for some carrier battles.

Lloydthegamer
01-09-2013, 07:46
Leave us not forget the Hellcat, really couldn't have a Marianas Turkey Shoot without it!
I agree. Let's have a few more aircraft that allow historic scenarios in the Pacific. SBDs and maybe TBDs or TBFs, along with Kates would be nice for some carrier battles.

Marechallannes
01-09-2013, 10:28
P-51s are overdone; moreover, most of the Mustangs deployed to China were the early models, not the bubble-tops everyone's familiar with. Give us the F4U -- one each USN, FAA, and Aeronavale.

The SM.79 was a trimotor; it goes with the bomber releases.

FAA & Aeronaval??

No, no, Chris. :smack:

One F4U from the USMC / 214 (VMF-214) "Black Sheep" and two US Navy versions (one with rockets please!).

...and a Douglas SBD-3 Dauntless please!!! :please:

csadn
01-09-2013, 13:46
FAA & Aeronaval??

That was a joke -- much the same way when the P-47 is released, the paint jobs will be: RAF Far East; Brazilian AF; and 21th Sqdn Mexican Air Force.

Of course, given how many paint jobs on a side are essentially identical: It would be more worth Ares's while to have a basic paint scheme, and provide decals for the player to customize with.

BobP
01-09-2013, 15:13
Too many planes to build in such a short time.

Carl_Brisgamer
01-09-2013, 15:26
To progress WGS we do need to expand the rules to include anti-ship and anti-sub operations. I would imagine an expansion with torpedo attacks and ship targets released with a miniatures set including the B5N Kate, TBF Avenger, SM79 and Bristol Beaufort might sell well.

Jwar
01-14-2013, 20:45
Glad to see the Corsair is coming, I can't wait, I remember being 5 years old glued to the tv set watching Robert Conrad play Pappy Boyington in Black Sheep Squadron, and being in love with this aircraft ever since. Course that dates me....

gully_raker
01-14-2013, 21:22
Glad to see the Corsair is coming, I can't wait, I remember being 5 years old glued to the tv set watching Robert Conrad play Pappy Boyington in Black Sheep Squadron, and being in love with this aircraft ever since. Course that dates me....

:cheezy: You & a thousand others, Joel!:thumbsup:

David Manley
01-14-2013, 21:52
That was a joke -- much the same way when the P-47 is released, the paint jobs will be: RAF Far East; Brazilian AF; and 21th Sqdn Mexican Air Force.

i don't see whats so wrong with an FAA Corsair, we did use quite a few around the world :) Not sure a French one would be that hot a seller so we could allow you two USN, or a navy and marine bird :)

Marechallannes
01-14-2013, 22:30
We have a lot of Spitfires and the Beaufighter to crush the Japs from the UK side in the Pacific theater.

I would prefer:

1 US-Navy version with additional fuel tanks

1 USMC version

1 US-Navy version with rockets

David Manley
01-14-2013, 22:38
What would be handy would be optional bombs or rockets for all of them (maybe something they could think of for future releases - include (or make available separately) sprues of ordnance with corresponding holes in the undersides of the wings?