PDA

View Full Version : Official Blackburn Kangaroo Painting Thread

David Manley
01-04-2013, 06:05
Latest model off the workbench is the Blackburn Kangaroo, a very quirky twin engined anti submarine aircraft. Might be seeing this at Penarth later this month too.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=70225&d=1357307978

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=70226&d=1357307986

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=70227&d=1357307994

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=70228&d=1357308002

Painting and modelling notes pretty much as the RE.7, although in this case the wing roundels come from an old Almark set

Archidamus
01-04-2013, 07:37
Nice one David - it looks to be a formidable opponent

johnandtricia
01-04-2013, 07:46
Very nice, wonderful paint job

Lloydthegamer
01-04-2013, 07:51
Nice model, a question about the plane's role. What kind of anti-submarine weapons did this thing carry? I'm assuming some form of dropped ordinance? Thanks for sharing it.

David Manley
01-04-2013, 09:12
Nice model, a question about the plane's role. What kind of anti-submarine weapons did this thing carry? I'm assuming some form of dropped ordinance? Thanks for sharing it.

Bombs and the Lewis guns, they only sank one (using a 520lb bomb) off Runswick Bay in the North Sea (that said they did spot the thing submerged and sitting on the sea bed).

Only 20 built, only served for 6 months, but something fun for those North Sea scenarios nonetheless :)

Lloydthegamer
01-04-2013, 09:42
Interesting. Must have been pretty shallow. Did they loiter until the boat popped to the surface, or did they hit it with the bomb while it was on the bottom?

Baron Rolf
01-04-2013, 10:02
A very nicely painted plane there David :thumbsup:

David Manley
01-04-2013, 12:53
Interesting. Must have been pretty shallow. Did they loiter until the boat popped to the surface, or did they hit it with the bomb while it was on the bottom?

I believe they hit it on the bottom (or rather it was on the bottom when the bomb went off, with a sizeable charge the boat would be killed by shock from a near miss, no need to hit it). I don't think the bay is that deep, maybe 30m, and depending on the bottom a sub could be quite noticeable to an overflying aircraft. I've seen a submerged SSK from a helicopter from about 10 miles simply because the conditions were right (black boat, clear water, good weather).

Just found this on the wreck (which lies in 39m of water at high tide)

At exactly 3 p.m. on 28th August 1918 Pilot-Lieutenant Arthur Waring, of No.246 Squadron R.A.F., hauled his new Blackburn Kangaroo into the air, from the very end of the runway of Seaton Carew, near Hartlepool. The bomb load of 920lbs made him keep full boost on both engines as he climbed out over the sea on anti-submarine patrol.

There were only eight Blackburn Kangaroos in service during World War One, and all were at Seaton Carew. Their record that August was already impressive - sighted 11 U-boats, attacked 11. Lieutenant Waring was about to give No.246 Squadron their first ever U-boat kill.

At 3.30 p.m., when off Whitby, Waring spotted a long trail of oil on a glassy sea. On the seabed at the head of that oil-slick was a stationary long dark object which Waring and his observer had no difficultly in recognising as a submarine. Waring dived straight along the oil line and dropped a 520 pound bomb at its source. Huge air bubbles and more oil gushed to the surface.

The destroyer H.M.S. OUSE, saw the bomb explode, and raced to the attack. Waring guided her in with flares fired from his Very pistol, and OUSE made several runs, releasing ten depth charges, set for a depth of 50 ft, right in the centre of the black oil patch. Yet more oil and air welled up. It was clear from this and other debris that the submarine was finished.

A fortnight later, on the 14th September, the Navy diver, Petty Officer Dusty Miller was dropped on the wreck of the Whitby U-boat. He entered her without difficultly trough a huge hole in her pressure hull. His search soon located her black box. It contained the usual code books and other documents which identified her as UC-70, one of the Flanders Flotilla. The papers also showed the minefields she had laid since leaving Zeebrugge on the 21st August.

When she was bombed by Lieutenant Waring, she is thought to have been lying on the bottom repairing damage she sustained in a new British minefield off the Yorkshire Coast.

gully_raker
01-04-2013, 17:36
:thumbsup: Thats a super bit of work David!;)

BobP
01-04-2013, 17:50
Excellant model David. Again you are most talanted

David Manley
01-04-2013, 22:26
Thanks chaps :)

redcoon2
01-04-2013, 23:45
Great photos..better story.

Burt
01-05-2013, 00:38
Nice plane Dave, hope to see her at Penarth.
Don

Flying Officer Kyte
01-05-2013, 01:05
:thumbsup:You have made a very good job of the Kangaroo Dave. I'm sure it will give you very good service at Penarth. I bet it ends up its career killing more than one submarine.
Also thanks for the smashing background info on the sinking. That is enough to give anyone serious scenario ideas.
Rob.

Nick_ace
01-05-2013, 17:02
Amazing plane!!:thumbsup:This miniature reminds of the Handley Page 0/400;)

Nick

Hunter
02-19-2013, 02:06
Love the paint scheme, great work!