PDA

View Full Version : WGS South West Pacific - 1/200 Skytrex Bristol Beaufighter Mk.IC, 30 Squadron RAAF

Carl_Brisgamer
12-25-2012, 08:47
Two RAAF Beaufighters are ready for ground attack and anti-shipping sorties in New Guinea and the Bismarck Sea. They are metal 1/200 scale Skytrex miniatures. The casts are serviceable but not outstanding. Their shortcomings are particularly noticeable after working with mostly AIM products in recent months. They did come with airscrews, but the spinners are somewhat oversized, even for the early UK produced Beaufighters. Not having anything else handy I have used them, but when I can find more appropriate parts or the time to manufacture something I will likely replace them.

I have painted the upper surfaces dark green/dark earth and undersides sky blue. Roundels and fin flashes are RAAF blue and white made by judicious application of a hobby knife to standard RAF roundels. The lettering is white Microscale Railroad Gothic. The stands are custom Litko WGS heavy fighter sized bases with altitude disks and 3” pegs. I have yet to mark the firing arcs and aircraft details. Aircraft are fixed by gluing a 3mm x 1.5mm rare earth magnet to the top of the peg and another to the underside of the aircraft miniature.

Soon to join the official WGS stable, the Beaufighter will use the new ‘N’ manouver deck. Damage points have yet to be revealed (thanks to judicious photography of the preview miniatures), however I would hazard a guess the score will be somewhere around 25 as it was a sturdy beast. The Beaufighter Mk.Ic has a service ceiling of 5800 metres, which translates to top altitude ‘7’. The climb rate is recorded as 8.2 metres per second, which rates a WGS climb rate of ‘4’. The Beaufighter has a frontal armament of 4 x 20mm cannon and 6 x .303in machine guns, short range CCCCBA and long range CCA. Some RAAF Beaus were also armed with a single rearward firing .303in machine gun in the observer’s cockpit however this was by no means standard. Close/long range firepower of A/A if fitted.

I have finished these miniatures as Beaufighters Mk.IC’s, of which 24 examples were supplied to the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) by RAF Coastal Command in early 1942. They were assigned to the formidable 30 Squadron RAAF, led by Squadron Leader Brian ‘Blackjack’ Walker. Walker was a colourful character who was subsequently awarded the DSO for his and his squadron’s performance in New Guinea. As the first RAAF Beaufighter unit to see action, 30 Squadron was in the forefront of the air war in the South West Pacific from 1942 to 1945, attacking enemy troops, installations and vessels at low level right into the teeth of Japanese air defences.

The first aircraft is serial A19-5 which arrived in Australia in April 1942. On 8 May 1942 this aircraft was the first Beaufighter to fly in Australia at Bankstown NSW. By 3 August 1942 the aircraft was with 30 Squadron and assigned aircraft code ‘F for Freddie’. On 12 September 1942 ‘F for Freddie’ flew to Wards airstrip Port Moresby. On 22 November 1942 during a strike against Lae airstrip, A19-5 put a one second burst into a Zeke which had climbed up under its nose to attack another Beaufighter. Japanese anti-aircraft fire then hit ‘F’ in the port nacelle and tyre. After repairs the aircraft was returned to 30 Squadron RAAF in time to participate in the decisive Battle of the Bismarck Sea on 3 March 1943. During the battle the aircraft was flown by S/Ldr Ron 'Torchy' Uren and navigator Flt/Sgt Harry Suthons. ‘F’ carried famous war correspondent Damien Parer standing behind the pilot with his cine camera balanced on the pilots head during strafing attacks upon Japanese ships (see link here http://youtu.be/YVLV67xILI4, go to 2.51). The aircraft was damaged in a bombing raid on Wards Strip in April 1943 but was again repaired and returned to 30 Squadron. ‘F for Freddie’ was flown on further operations until March 1944 when it was retired to 5OTU (Operational Training Unit). After surviving all the Japanese could throw at her during almost two years of operational service this war weary Beaufighter was written off on 13 December 1944 after the aircraft hit trees on approaching the flarepath during night flying training north of RAAF Base Williamstown.

The second aircraft is A19-10 which also arrived in Australia in April 1942. Assigned to 30 Squadron in July 1942, the aircraft was coded ‘K for King’. Like ‘F for Freddie’ it was deployed to New Guinea in September 1942 and participated in the Battle of the Bismarck Sea in March 1943, piloted by F/O Bob Bennett with navigator Sgt. Phil Edwards. In July 1943 fractures were discovered in the floor members supporting the cannon channels. The aircraft was retired from operational duties and after repairs was assigned to 5OTU in January 1944. A19-10 survived the war and was placed into storage in November 1945. On the 8 August 1949 Bristol Beaufighter Mk.IC A19-10 ‘K for King’ was finally struck off charge.

It is my hope that in future WGS releases of the Beaufighter that 30 Squadron RAAF will get a guernsey, but until then these Skytrex versions will do the job.

Rat of Vengence
12-25-2012, 19:10
Hmmm, the cockpit step looks too upright in angle too. Nice work on the colour scheme; the Beau has always been a favourite of mine :)

Dave

Flying Officer Kyte
12-25-2012, 23:46
You have made a really good job of those aircraft as usual Carl. I also have a soft spot for the aircraft, as my fathers best friend flew one.
Rob.

Carl_Brisgamer
12-26-2012, 02:45
You have made a really good job of those aircraft as usual Carl. I also have a soft spot for the aircraft, as my fathers best friend flew one.
Rob.

Thanks Rob. My grandfather was RAAF ground-crew with 76 Squadron RAAF which was co-located on Goodenough Island with 30 Squadron in 1943, the Beau was a very effective weapon.

Doug
12-31-2012, 03:19
Very nice cannot wait for the ARES ones.

BobP
12-31-2012, 13:45
Nice models and paint jobs on those.