PDA

View Full Version : WGS South West Pacific - 1/200 AIM Douglas DB-7B Boston Mk.IIIs, 22 Squadron RAAF

Carl_Brisgamer
12-21-2012, 09:54
I have just finished the first of my WGS “Aussie” bombers, two Douglas DB-7B Bostons serving with 22 Squadron Royal Australian Air Force in New Guinea 1942-44. The RAAF obtained 69 of these US designed bombers (also known as the Douglas A-20 Havoc) in a number of variants, most of which were brought up to A-20G standard with the nose glazing replaced with a solid nose mouting at least four .303in machine guns, and two .303in machine guns on a flexible mount in the dorsal hatch position. The resin models are very good casts from Dave Schmid's Armaments in Miniature. The stands are Litko custom jobs with altitude disks, three inch pegs and rare earth magnets attaching the aircraft.
Paint is standard Humbrol enamels. The decals are from 'Shed' (roundels) and Microscale (letters). I used standard RAF roundels and cut out the centre red circle with a hobby knife to create the RAAF blue and white versions.

I really like how the RAAF markings look with this aircraft, and I hope the other Aussie players on the forum enjoy seeing RAAF aircraft on the flight line.

First a bit of history about the unit with which these aircraft flew:

22 Squadron RAAF was deployed to Port Moresby in New Guinea in October 1942 where it flew in support of Australian Army operations against the Japanese around Buna and Gona. In March 1943 the squadron played an important role in the Battle of the Bismarck Sea, an air-sea battle which resulted in significant losses for the Japanese. A member of the squadron, Flight Lieutenant Bill Newton, was posthumously awarded the Victoria Cross (VC) for his actions while flying a Boston on two separate missions between 16 and 18 March 1943. The following month 22 Squadron moved to Goodenough Island, remaining there until November when they moved Kiriwina. Operations during this time initially consisted of anti-shipping patrols and attacks around Cape Gloucester, before later being expanded to include photo reconnaissance missions and ground attack missions on targets throughout New Britain. In March 1944, the squadron became part of No. 77 Wing, along with Nos. 30 and 31 Squadrons flying Beaufighters. In November 1944, the squadron moved once more, this time to Morotai Island. From here, the squadron conducted operations throughout the South West Pacific Area, including targets in the Philippines. Later in the month, the majority of the squadron's Bostons were badly damaged or destroyed in a Japanese bombing raid. As a result, its operations were reduced until January 1945 when it was moved to Noemfoor (Indonesia) and re-equipped with Beaufighters in January 1945.

69468 69465

The first aircraft bearing the designation ‘DU-J’ was produced in November 1941 and initially intended for French service. Following the fall of France the aircraft was to be delivered to the RAF. In January 1942 however it was diverted to the Dutch and shipped to the Netherlands East Indies. The rapid Japanese advances resulted in the ship docking in Australia where the aircraft assembled at RAAF Base Richmond in New South Wales. The aircraft (serial A28-8) was allocated to 22 Squadron RAAF from 16/05/42, where it was coded ‘DU-J’, 'J' for Jessica. The aircraft was first flown on operations in December 1942 out of Port Moresby, New Guinea. 22 Squadron was transferred to Goodenough Island off the New Guinea coast east of Milne Bay in July 1943. On 12/9/43 ‘J’ for Jessica crashed on landing at Vivigani Strip after being hit by flak bombing the Japanese airfield at Gasmata. The pilot was F/O Harry Rowell. ‘DU-J’ was stripped of useable equipment and left on Goodenough until 1987 when it was salvaged and moved to Amberley Air Base just outside of Brisbane, Queensland. Following extensive restoration work the aircraft was placed on display at RAAF Museum Point Cook Victoria (see colour photos). This aircraft and A28-9 were the only two Bostons fitted with twin .303in machine guns in the tail as a field modification.

69466 69467

The second aircraft is another Douglas BD-7B coded ‘DU-K’. This aircraft was delivered to the RAAF in April 1942, serial A28-9. It was involved in a landing accident on 12/4/42 at Laverton, the pilot F/Lt W J Meehan was not injured. On 29/5/42 the aircraft was taken on strength of 22 Squadron RAAF and assigned ‘DU-K’. 22 Squadron CO Wing Commander Charles C. Learmouth DFC flew the aircraft in July 1943. This aircraft flew total 186 combat sorties during its career.

The Douglas DB-7B had a crew of three and a maximum speed of 546kmh at an altitude of 3050 metres. Service ceiling was 7,225 metres and climb rate 10.2m/s (top altitude is 9 and climb rate 4). The aircraft was armed with four .303in and four .50in Browning machine guns in the nose and two .303in machine guns mounted in the dorsal hatch. The bombload of the DB-7B was 910kg (2,000lbs). Given the speed and reported manoeuvrability of this aircraft I will be using same ‘N’ deck as the upcoming Messerschmitt Bf110C (top speed 560kmh). In the meantime I will use the 'D' deck with the Immelmann and steep sideslip cards removed (cards 12, 13 & 14). I will use the same arcs and same size stand as the Beaufighter given the aircraft was much faster and more nimble than the B-25 and Heinkel He111. Damage points will be somewhere in the mid-20 range, depending on the scores given to the heavy fighters. I am running 26 at this time. Front firing arc is BBB/BA and dorsal firing arc is A/A.

Next on my completion list will be two RAAF Bristol Beaufighters and a Lockheed Hudson, hopefully by Christmas!

Nightbomber
12-21-2012, 10:40
Neat painting, Carl. Great looking planes. Well done :thumbsup:

Carl_Brisgamer
12-21-2012, 15:37
Neat painting, Carl. Great looking planes. Well done :thumbsup:

Thanks Andrzej. I am looking forward to fielding a mixed forced of Beaufighters and Bostons.

FrankJamison
12-21-2012, 17:47
Very clean paint jobs. :thumbsup:

Carl_Brisgamer
12-21-2012, 23:19
Thanks Frank. As I stated above the actual restored 'J' for Jessica is on display in the technology hangar at RAAF Museum Point Cook, Victoria.

You can take a virtual tour at the website. Other aircraft in the hangar include an RAF SE5a and F-4E Phantom.

The webpage is here : http://www.airforce.gov.au/raafmuseum/exhibitions/tech_hang.htm

Flying Officer Kyte
12-22-2012, 01:38
A couple of really nice looking well executed aircraft there Carl.
I'm sure they will be a real pleasure to use on any games table.
Rob.

ptownhiker
12-22-2012, 03:55
Great job on painting the models. The modifications to the decals look great.

Carl_Brisgamer
12-23-2012, 05:13
Bostons completed but the race is on to get my pair of Australian Beaufighters done before Christmas Day - late night tonight!