PDA

View Full Version : WGFE: German Armored Warplanes of WWI (Aeronaut)

Baldrick62
12-20-2012, 12:38
Submit a Book ReviewBook Title:
German Armored Warplanes of WWI Author:
Jack Herris ISBN:
978-1-935881-11-7 Category:
Reference Format:
Paperback Summary:
Aeronaut's fifth POD offering 'describes and illustrates the development of German armored warplanes in WWI, primarily J-class infantry aircraft but including other experimental types, with text, more than 160 rare contemporary photos, 38 colour profiles, and tables of information including production quantities and serial numbers of aircraft and aircraft size and performance specifications. The origin and evolution of the armored warplane designs are discussed in the context of the German strategic situation and the evolving combat environment.'

At 116pp this book, which has effectively gazumped the long-heralded Albatros Publications J-Series Datafile, provides detailed information on AEG, Albatros and Junkers J-types, along with experimental or non-operational designs, namely the AEG DJ.I, AEG G.IVk, AGO S.I and Fokker V37 (effectively an armored ground attack version of the Fokker D.VIII monoplane fighter). Well-illustrated throughout, there are some very interesting photos of Becker cannon-armed Albatros J.Is and a colour profile of an AEG J.I in the red flame livery of Schlasta 26b (backed up with photographic evidence). Unusually, there's also a USAS SPAD VII, flown by Charles Biddle when he was shot down by a Junkers J.I 'Mobelwagen', and interesting discussion on the German preference for using aircraft as tank killers (AH64 anyone?) and the reasoning behind the deletion of forward-firing MGs for downward-slanted installations.

Overall, another great addition to Aeronaut's burgeoning catalogue, with 5 books released in less than 6 months!

Flying Officer Kyte
12-20-2012, 12:57
Thanks for the review Balders. It certainly fills in another niche which was sadly neglected. I'm afraid this one will have to get shunted forward to my Birthday list though.
Rob.

Jager
12-20-2012, 13:56
I saw this on Amazon yesterday, and added it to the wish list for post-christmas shopping (with the gift cards :cheezy: ).
It's definitely up my interest area.
Karl

Guntruck
12-31-2012, 05:29
Got mine the other day, and well worth the asking price.

jbmacek
12-31-2012, 07:17
Mine has been ordered. I can't wait. If it is as good as his other books...

Boney10
04-19-2013, 17:50
Been looking at this one for a whole.
Now seen the review have ordered
Cheers Balders