PDA

View Full Version : Site: Could use your help

Oberst Hajj
04-08-2010, 05:03
Hello all,

I would like to do some more theming here on the site. I would like to concentrate on the name of the different forums, but I am open to any ideas of course.

In the Off Duty section we have these forums:

News and Announcements
Report for Duty
Hobby Room
Officer's Club
Polls
Contests

I would like to give them all names that would fit in as part of an aerodrome. I think the Officer's Club works nicely, but the others could use some work. Some names that come to mind are Flight Operations, Armory and Workshop. I could use your help with coming up with more names, or better ones, and deciding which ones should go with which forums. We can use the descriptions to help new members find their way around in case things are not very clear at first glance.

The Col.

Flying Officer Kyte
04-08-2010, 05:58
How about Report for duty at the Ops Room.
Hobby room -hanger.
Guard room?
Adjutants office, an alternative for report for duty.
Mess?
O.K. I'll work on it. Rob.

Niemandsland
04-08-2010, 11:25
Perhaps for the News: Radio room or News board
I think mess is good for the polls

Just some spontanous ideas

Oberst Hajj
04-08-2010, 21:49
Good ideas guys, keep them coming please. I had another though today, what about Intelligence Office for news and announcements?

Volant Gun
04-08-2010, 22:59
Hi your Colonelness Sir, :D

Here are my ideas:
News and Announcements - Commander's Call or Bulliten Board
Report for Duty - Orderly Room
Hobby Room - R & R Building
Officer's Club - Sacred title don't mess with it!
Polls - Intelligence Hut
Contests - Field Competion Folder

Respectfully,
Capt (or should it be Hauptman?) Volant Gun
:cool:

Oberst Hajj
04-08-2010, 23:05
Those are all good Frank, I'm really liking the Orderly Room! Humm, for some reason I had you down in the US WWI group, hence the Captain rank. I've changed you to the Germans and now you are a proper Hauptmann!

Pooh
04-09-2010, 09:01
How about for news & announcements - Scuttlebut
Orderly room is good

Pooh

Volant Gun
04-09-2010, 19:09
Thank you Colonel!

Bixby
04-09-2010, 19:54
News and Announcements
The Aerodrome Gazette (This could have a graphic like a perriod newspaper to give the forum a feel of old war time headlines).

Report for Duty I like this as it is currently named. This probably makes sense to first time visitors as the name has a double entendre both with military theme and report for duty for the website.

Hobby Room
Edison's Room (Could use a light bulb as an icon to indicate idea exchange).

Officer's Club
?

Polls
Conscription Office

Contests
The Trophy Room

Volant Gun
04-09-2010, 22:26
Hi Bixby,

I like the Aerodrome Gazette idea!

VG

Flying Officer Kyte
04-10-2010, 02:28
Very good Bixby. Far better than my ideas.
Rob.

Ookami
04-10-2010, 05:28
What do you thing about a forum

Reconnoissance

for pictures, where you can also link to your Albums?

Haystack
04-11-2010, 21:48
Hi Bixby. I also really like the idea Aerodrome Gazette. Really draws the eye.
Haystack

Haystack
04-11-2010, 21:52
Col. How about Engineering Hanger for hobby room?
Haystack

Oberst Hajj
04-12-2010, 10:14
More good stuff guys, hope you will keep them coming!

LGKR
04-12-2010, 10:34
I like Bixby's ideas except hobby room should be Research & Engineering.

sparty
04-12-2010, 20:19
I think you want to be careful about over-theming the site. Here's why...

Let's say I'm a new player coming to the site for the first time. I don't want to have to learn the lingo of the new site as well as get acquainted with the site structure.

Ultimately, I want to see the familiar elements and naming conventions I'm using to seeing all over.

Even some of the most massive game series specific forums on the internet don't overdo the theming with forum names. Consider twcenter.net which is by far the biggest one I'm aware of on the net. They've kept it very accessible for new players and visitors to get what they're after quickly and in return folks have been very receptive of their site.

LGKR
04-13-2010, 06:55
I think you want to be careful about over-theming the site. Here's why...

Let's say I'm a new player coming to the site for the first time. I don't want to have to learn the lingo of the new site as well as get acquainted with the site structure.

Ultimately, I want to see the familiar elements and naming conventions I'm using to seeing all over.

Even some of the most massive game series specific forums on the internet don't overdo the theming with forum names. Consider twcenter.net which is by far the biggest one I'm aware of on the net. They've kept it very accessible for new players and visitors to get what they're after quickly and in return folks have been very receptive of their site.

While I do tend to agree with you to some extent, the Headings have descriptions right below them. So even if someone is new they can easily figure out what the forum section is. Even if the Hobby Room was called "Geeks with no real life" as longs as it explains that it's for the hobby side of Wings of War it will work. :D