PDA

View Full Version : Crusade 2013

armstrongjohn1
11-28-2012, 08:39
I was wondering if the group were doing anything at Crusade on the 26/1/13 in Penarth. If not I could see if I could get a slot for the group as I'm a member of the club.

Mark.

Flying Officer Kyte
11-28-2012, 08:57
Any of you Welsh or Avon chaps willing to support Mark?
Rob.

David Manley
11-28-2012, 09:08
Not sure whether I'm free, but I've been most years recently so its a definite possibility. Might have some new toys by then too :)

Boney10
11-29-2012, 04:48
If off shift Ill certainly have a go, will check the other shows first too, Ill get back with a definate when next on shift, which is Wed

armstrongjohn1
11-29-2012, 06:10
Ok Chris, if you come back next week with a positive, I will arrange with the committee to get a table.

Mark.

David Manley
11-29-2012, 12:45
I don't mind taking the lead on this. I have "command approval" to attend :)

Plus my new toys have either arrived or are on their way, which should be ideal for the show :D

armstrongjohn1
12-02-2012, 04:51
Ok chaps, I have managed to get us penciled in for the Crusade show. If David is willing to take the lead, I will fill in the forms and get it made official. All I need to know is what size of table we will need and what I need to bring along.

Mark.

Boney10
12-02-2012, 06:00
I found at the events this year we attended that one table a 6 x 4 for gaming with chairs is needed, obviously :)
A good idea is a second table to have a display area and to place our bits and pieces under and to put some kind of banner.Rob had a good one at Triples and it was something sorely missed at Warfare.
If we can get a large table and a smaller it would be good.
If there as hoped I don't mind manning the display.

If however we are just looking to game and nothing else one table will do, depends how big the show is and the interest.

David Manley
12-02-2012, 07:58
So ideally an 8x6 and and a 6x3 table, or a 6x4 and 6x3. The larger for the game, the smaller for the display (cold be a but narrower).

Chris - the KR case people usually attend Penarth, can you drop them a line to see if they want us to demo their stuff again?

And who else would like to come along to help out?

sbutton
12-03-2012, 09:38
I am more than happy to help.

I have not attended any shows previously but I am willing and able if needed.

Just let me know where to be at what time.

David Manley
12-03-2012, 09:44
Ok, it looks like me, Mark, Steve and possibly Chris on the flight line for this one :)

I usually plan to get there an hour before opening time, gives us time to set up, talk through the day and get a game ready to play from the outset. How does that sound?

Boney10
12-03-2012, 09:50
Sounds good to me,If I can't get there for whatever reason,Ill make sure you get my mats before hand

David Manley
12-03-2012, 09:59
Sounds good to me,If I can't get there for whatever reason,Ill make sure you get my mats before hand

Bueno :) All being well we will be kicking off with something new (hopefully several somethings new) at sea for the first engagements :D

sbutton
12-03-2012, 11:24
Sounds good, I will probably be bringing one more with me if thats ok his name is Jay.... He is also a pilot so will be able to assist.

Let me know if this is ok and keep me updated with developments and if there is anything you need me to bring.

Looking forward to this........

armstrongjohn1
12-04-2012, 12:37
Ok Chaps, I have booked the tables,(1 off 6'x 4' plus a side table). I have also booked 4 tickets for participants, I wont need one as I'm a member, so it should be no problem for you to bring Jay, Steve. The show opens at 10am and I should be there between 8 30 and 9am.

Looking forward to seeing everyone there.

Mark.

David Manley
12-04-2012, 13:26
Smashing, thanks :)

sbutton
12-04-2012, 13:40
Brilliant, I will let Jay know

See you all at the show

Flying Officer Kyte
12-04-2012, 23:59
Don't forget to record each attendee's input to the event Mark, so that you can apply to the Oberst for the correct medal for them after the show.

Rob.

sbutton
12-05-2012, 06:25
A quick point, I have checked the Penarth wargame club site and the location of Crusade is tbc..... Can we confirm the venue, times etc

Cheers

Burt
12-05-2012, 08:54
I hope to be able to come to Crusade I haven't been to that show before.
Will bring my planes along etc.
Don

armstrongjohn1
12-05-2012, 09:09
As I thought, Crusade will be held in the Cogan leisure center, Penarth. For those who have been before, this is the normal venue and for those who haven't, It will be signposted from the M4 Jcn 33.

Mark.

David Manley
12-05-2012, 10:33
Hopefully the signs will be a bit more obvious than last year (which seemed to be non-existent but were on closer inspection just not very obvious) :)

armstrongjohn1
12-05-2012, 14:53
I'll have a word and see what can be done to improve things.

Boney10
12-05-2012, 16:13
Checked my proposed roster for Jan, am not working for 26 Jan so I will be there chaps :)

David Manley
12-06-2012, 00:24
Checked my proposed roster for Jan, am not working for 26 Jan so I will be there chaps :)

Excellent!

armstrongjohn1
01-15-2013, 10:24
OK chaps, all is in place for crusade on the 26th. I am moving home on the 22nd and may be off-line for a few days. As I have said its all systems go, I will be at the venue at around 8am, and if anyone needs more info you can get it at the club website which is now up and running at www.penarthwargames.co.uk . I have contacted both stafford games and firestorm games, who will both be at the show, and they have confirmed that they will be bringing a stock of WOG minis with them and Stafford is hopeful he will have the new releases with him. Looking forward to meeting up with you all.

Mark.

David Manley
01-15-2013, 12:23
Good news. Scenarios are sorted for the morning and afternoon sessions, models just about there so I think we are all systems go :D

sbutton
01-15-2013, 12:42
Good news, I can confirm myself and Jay will be there. Will make best endeavours to get there for 8ish.

Boney10
01-15-2013, 15:05
I am contacting KR cases as well to see if we can get a display box as we did at warfare.
Also do you want me to bring my WW2 kit as well ?
It's mainly BoB but got Spits a couple of hurricanes, Stukas, HE111 and of course ME 109s

David Manley
01-15-2013, 23:14
Sounds good - WW1 in the morning, WW2 in the afternoon. I wouldn't want to change the game more than once during the day, so looking at 2-3 games of each.

David Manley
01-22-2013, 13:11
Ok, so the current plan seems to be this.

DM, Chris (and Stuart Machin, Avon gamer but not on the Forum yet) depart Brizzle about 0715, arrive Penarth approx 0830

0830 to 1000 - set up, grumble about what we've forgotten to bring, hopefully enthuse about Series 1 repaints which I am told cleared UK customs yesterday....
1000-1230 - Wings and Waves of Glory - Ref controlled airship attempts to bomb ref controlled U boat whilst participation players take various naval fighters and either defend or try to down the airship

1230-1300 - lunch, swap out the game for WW2

1300-1600 (or the end) - Battle of Britain parti games

I may have to bring my little boy with me as the girls are out all day going girl stuff and he may not be able to (or indeed want to) go with them.

Can we have a quick roll call of who else is going to be there? Steve, Jay and Mark - anyone else? (apologies if I've forgotten)

Burt
01-23-2013, 03:53
Have noticed that I am not on the list of attendees for Crusade, I will be there weather allowing.
Don

Lt. S.Kafloc
01-23-2013, 04:30
Good luck with the show, we expect a full report on your return to the mess.

Boney10
01-23-2013, 05:21
Received an email today from Daryl at KR cases.
He is sending me a couple of cases with WoG trays for display purposes, Ill bring these along to any shows we can get to and supply the models to put inside.
DM I also spoke to him about some seaplane trays, although he was keen to see these and possibly develope some trays, he has no seaplanes to model on, unfortunately KR is not at the show themselves although arepresentative selling KR will be. We need to have a chat about these if anyone is interested in cusatom seaplane trays.

David Manley
01-25-2013, 22:04
Outbound for the show now - report due here in about 16 hours :D

Flying Officer Kyte
01-26-2013, 01:23
Outbound for the show now - report due here in about 16 hours :D

Have a good one Dave.
Kyte.

David Manley
01-26-2013, 12:10
Got back from Penarth an hour or so ago after dropping off Stuart and Chris. And didn't we have a fun time? :)

Despite the best efforts of my satnav we arrived nice and early to set up, so we wwre ready to go an hour before opening time. Of course that also meant we were exposed to the glacially icy blats coming through the open side doors as everyone else set up, but tean and coffee provided gratis by the organisers helped that, and was most welcome.

So, at 1000Z we kicked off the first of the three morning session games, each featuring the coastal airship (under umpire control) attempting to bomb a disabled u-boat. The airship being defended by a combined British and Italian flight (Macchi M5s and a Sopwith Baby), whilst the Kaiser's finest attempted to frustrate the plans of the evil Entente (Oeffag H, Hansa Brandenberg W18 and Hansa Brandenberg CC. The airship is a slow and vulnerable beast, and it took a lot to get it to survive to get anywhere near the U boat (bulked up its damage points, made it go fast (although still painfully slow) and finally fought across the table rather than along it). She went down quickly in game 1, got about half way in game 2 and was very nearly on top of the target in game 3. But despite this the games were great fun and the use of the seaplanes and the airship drew a lot of interest in the game. We spent ages chatting with the public about all aspects of the game, modelling, availability of the goodies, and directing them to the various traders on the floor who were stocking Ares products and KR multi cases.

After lunch we decided to go to the Western Front, with two dogfighting sessions. The first with eight players, the second with ten. We fought with the usual mix of camels, Spads, Albtari and Triplanes, bringing in some two-seaters for added fun in the final game. The 8 player session was a really close fought action that almost ended with the four surviving planes all colliding on what I was sure would be the last turn. However it was not to be and in the end there was but one survivor. The second game was carnage, with the Entente planes going down like ninepins until only a lone RNAS Camel was left and her intrepid pilot decided discretion was the better part of valour and legged it from the table. He was the youngest player (we had a good mix of ages throughout the day, but quite a few kids in the afternoon) and it was extremely gratifying when he came over to me and thanked me for the game which he really enjoyed, and for helping him. That made it all worth while :) It was also nice to see several of the players wandering around the show later with various Ares products purchased from Stafford.

And then it was time to pack up and go. We'd had a great time, we'd been visibly the most popular game there (I think its fair to say) and we introduced a good number of new and younger players to Wings of Glory. And in doing so we'd had a great time, made some new friends and met lots of old friends too. I've posted some pictures in my album (which includes some pictures of other games), so just one or two here for you to get a taste of the games.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=72638&d=1359229078
Simultaneous collisions in game #4!

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=72632&d=1359228695

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=72631&d=1359228635
this was the closest the airship got to the u boat

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=72629&d=1359228538
Boney10 in jolly mood as he blows the c**p out of my lovely airship!

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=72627&d=1359228442
The hand of fate points out a Hansa Brandenberg CC as it dives under the hapless airship

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=72623&d=1359228252
Calm before the storm.......

Flying Officer Kyte
01-26-2013, 14:41
Looks great Dave.
Just what a show should be.
Well done to all who took part.
Are you or is Chris applying to the Oberst for the medals for this event?
Rob.

Boney10
01-26-2013, 14:51
I am in the process of discussing medals with the Oberst, I shall take care of this is thats ok with all

flash
01-26-2013, 15:07
Nicely done chaps, too far for a day trip for me sadly but good to see the photos.

Flying Officer Kyte
01-26-2013, 23:33
Thanks Chris.
Rob.

Burt
01-27-2013, 00:06
Had a great day despite catching fire in nearly every game I played.
Thanks to all that organised and ran the games.:thumbsup:
Don

Boney10
01-27-2013, 06:24
Have now fully recovered from the days gaming at Penarth, Crusade , yesterday.
Thabks to Dave for organising the Sea games, love the airship, enjoyes shooting it down with the others, didnot enjoy crashing into Don and then being set on fire within the first few moves:(
All in all a god day, my first time at this show.
Thanksa to Mark for organising the table and for himself and his lad joining in and having a blast. Also to Steve and his son who also entred the fary on more than one occassion and ably assisted total newcomers to the game, also to Don as always a stalwart and to Stuart who we will have to get on here at some point.
I have created a new album with the pics I took of both sessions. I did intend to do WW2 in the afternoon, but in retrospect seemed little point as no rules pack or mainstay aircraft available, so we went to the Western Front as we had some of the new reprints.

Steve assisting two complete novices into the game, I think they went away and bought the rules set at least

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=72758&d=1359295240

More Western Front
From L-R Marks Son Bobby, Don, Dave Manley & Stuart

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=72760&d=1359295278

Some of our intrepid pilots
http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=72740&d=1359295012

The last game, some of our pilots and you can see the downed Camel in the background, one of the three RNAS 9, a DH4 and the Spad XIII which bit the dust with no losses to the Germans

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=72739&d=1359294994

More of that game

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=72756&d=1359295205

And a couple of the Seaplanes
http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=72717&d=1359294417

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=72731&d=1359294843

Lots more in the album

sbutton
01-27-2013, 07:17
Just like to add my thanks to everyone at the show. It was the first "aerodrome" event Jay and I had attended and it was great. A big thanks to Dave, Chris, Mark, Don and Stuart who were very welcoming and made us feel right at home.
I know Jay enjoyed himself and I did too, it was a good mix of games with the airship scenario in the morning in which we alternated sides, and the western front in the afternoon when I could take to the skies in my trusty DR1 albeit getting shot down far too quickly for my liking, (it doesn't take too many 3's and 4's to add up to 13 !).

I was good to get a few newbies playing and it's amazing how it seems the younger they are the quicker they pick it up!

So all-in-all a really good day and can't wait for the next one!:thumbsup:

Steve

armstrongjohn1
01-27-2013, 12:15
First of all can I, on behalf of Penarth and District Wargames club, say a big thank you to Chris, Dave, Don, Steve, Jay and Stuart for putting on such a great game. It was really good to meet everyone and both me and Bobby had a really good day. The scenarios were good and the models that were used, as well as those that Chris was showing me were of top quality. I personally am not that great a modeller but will endeavor to improve in the future. Again many thanks for putting on the game and I hope we can do it again next year, in the meantime I can't wait for the next show and to get my hands on some of the new reprints.

Mark.

Flying Officer Kyte
01-27-2013, 12:42
Glad to read from the feedback that all had a good time.
En passant, I notice that the Airship is a sister ship to mine.
Rob.

Lt. S.Kafloc
01-27-2013, 14:58
:thumbsup:What a great report Chris you wont have to buy a drink in the mess they're all on us. Wished I'd been there looked like lots of fun.
Neil

:drinks: