PDA

View Full Version : WGS North Africa - 1/200 Air 200 Gloster Gladiators 3 Sqn RAAF Western Desert 1940-41

Carl_Brisgamer
11-27-2012, 19:05
Hi all,

I originally posted this one in the Painting showcase but thought I would cross post here for ease of reference by forum members looking for examples of this type of aircraft in metal.

WGS - 1/200 scale Air 200 Gloster Gladiator Mk.II's 3 Squadron RAAF

Dave's effort with 'Faith', 'Hope' and 'Charity' prompted me to finish off a couple of Gladiators I've had on the back burner for a couple of years. Aaron (afilter on this forum) picked them up for me from 'Last Square' in March 2010, thanks wingman! I was initially going to complete them as 615 Sqn RAF in France 1940, but decided to make them Australian Gladiators.

3 Squadron RAAF was equipped with Gloster Gladiator biplane fighters from September 1940 to January 1941, seeing heavy combat against the Regia Aeronautica in the skies of North Africa. 3 Squadron’s Gladiators were finished in the four colour ‘counter shading camouflage’ with dark earth/dark green on the top of the upper wing and upper fuselage, and light earth/light green on the top of the lower wing and lower part of the fuselage. The underside was painted black and white divided down the centre-line with no under-wing roundels.

Z NW was a Gloster Gladiator Mk.II received from the Royal Egyptian Air Force and flown on 14 combat sorties by 3 Sqn RAAF. On 19/11/40 F/L Alan Rawlinson damaged a Fiat CR42 Falco whilst flying this aircraft, and on 25/1/41 F/O Peter Turnbull damaged a Fiat G.50. Rawlinson survived the war with 8 kills, leading 78 Fighter Wing RAAF in Borneo in 1945 and finally retiring from the RAF as group Captain in 1961. Turnbull was killed in action as CO of 76 Sqn RAAF flying a P-40E during a ground attack mission at Milne Bay in New Guinea on 27 August 1942. At the time of his death Turnbull had been credited with 10 victories.

G NW was another Gloster Gladiator Mk.II received from 33 Sqn RAF and flown on 13 sorties from 15/11/40. On 19/11/40 flying this aircraft F/O Alan Boyd shot down three Fiat CR42 Falcos and claimed a fourth probably destroyed. Boyd was a true biplane ace scoring 6 kills in six weeks in November and December 1940, all Italian Falcos. This aircraft was shot down in combat with CR42s near Sollum on 13/12/40, with the pilot F/O Wilfred ‘Woof’ Arthur parachuting to safety. ‘Woof’ Arthur ended the war a Group Captain with 8 kills and was party to the so-called ‘Morotai Mutiny’ by senior RAAF fighter pilots in the SW Pacific in 1945. There is a card in 'The Last Biplanes' card set for F/O Boyd's Gladiator (card no. 9/72).

The metal Air200 miniatures were challenging, with the struts not fitting quite right. This was a particular problem with the cabane struts, many of which were far too short. I began yearning for a resin miniature for a while there. The roundel and fin flash decals are Shed Models and the letters are white railroad gothic from Microscale. Despite this I am happy with the overall result, they look fine as gaming pieces. Can't wait to fly them against CR42's in the new year.

Carl_Brisgamer
11-29-2012, 03:28
I was going through the Australian War Memorial website (http://www.awm.gov.au/) looking for photos to illustrate some WGS mission cards and found these great images of some of the WW2 Australian aces who flew Gladiators and later Hurricanes and Kittyhawks in North Africa and Syria. These men flew in some of the most toughest campaigns in the Western Desert and later in the Pacific Theatre. Ranks provided are their highest grade reached during their service.

Group Captain Wilfred Stanley 'Woof' Arthur DSO DFC, RAAF - 8 kills, survived the war.

Squadron Leader Peter St George Bruce Turnbull DFC, RAAF - 10 kills, KIA in New Guinea 1942.

Group Captain Alan Charles Rawlinson OBE DFC and Bar AFC RAF, RAAF - 8 kills, survived the war.

Peter Turnbull (left), Alan Rawlinson (right) and Group Captain John Rowley 'Jock' Perrin DFC, RAAF (centre). Jock Perrin was credited with 6 kills and was my grandfather's CO when he served with 76 Squadron RAAF in New Guinea in 1942-3.

A downed Falco claimed by 3 Squadron in December 1940.

67243 67244

Flying Officer V. East in the cockpit of a Gloster Gladiator aircraft of No. 3 Squadron RAAF at Salum preparing for an operation over Bardia.

This photo of 3 Squadron's pilots was taken on 9/12/40 by famous Australian photographer Frank Hurley, the same photographer who recorded Shackleton's ill-fated Antarctic expedition in 1914.

Gloster Gladiators of 3 Squadron on the flight line at Helouan Egypt 5/11/40.

Salum, Egypt January 1941. No. 3 squadron RAAF pilots examine a map on the tail-plane of a Gloster Gladiator fighter aircraft, before an operation over Bardia. Left to right are: flying officer (FO) j. R. Perrin; FO J. McD. Davidson (squatting); FO W. S. Arthur (almost obscured); FO P. St. G. Turnbull; Flight Lieutenant (Flt.Lt.) G. H. Steege; Flt.Lt. A. Rawlinson; FO V. East; (unknown); Squadron Leader I. D. McLachlan (commanding officer); FO A. Boyd.

grumpybear
11-29-2012, 05:57
Great pics.

Carl_Brisgamer
11-29-2012, 06:27
Thanks Darell. It was good to find the photo of Jock Perrin. My grandad served with him and used to tell me stories about New Guinea when I was little - only the good stuff - before he passed away in the mid 70's. 3 Squadron RAAF produced many aces and subsequent fighter leaders who started the war flying Gauntlets and Gladiators and ended up in late marque Spitfires and Mustangs.

Angiolillo
11-29-2012, 07:39

A downed Falco claimed by 3 Squadron in December 1940.

It seems that roundels with fasces on the upper wing were very looked after souvenirs...

Flying Officer Kyte
11-29-2012, 08:05
Nice find Carl.
Rob.

flash
11-29-2012, 08:42
Great stuff Carl ! ;)

Carl_Brisgamer
11-29-2012, 16:21
It seems that roundels with fasces on the upper wing were very looked after souvenirs...

Australian soldiers have been prolific 'collectors', from the Great War right up to today.

Von Richthofen's Dreidecker was believed to have been stripped of fabric and many artifacts within 30 minutes of the crash landing.

And here we have a very famous photograph from WW1 of Private John Hines (1873–1958)

"A Liverpool Irishman, Hines was drifting around Australia working at different jobs before he joined the AIF in 1915. He was heavily tattooed and gave his age as 28, but was in fact much older.

Hines served with the 45th Battalion AIF. An effective soldier in battle, he was a troublesome one out of it. He was often absent without leave, and also faced charges for drunkenness, and for forging entries in his pay-book. He saw most of his action in Flanders, where he was wounded. Hines was eventually discharged on medical grounds before the war ended.

A photograph of Hines taken after the battle of Polygon Wood near Ypres, wearing a German cap and surrounded by souvenirs taken from the enemy, was published in late 1917. It was simply titled, “Wild Eyes, the souvenir king”. The photograph was widely circulated during the war, and it achieved fresh fame when exhibited and re-published more than a decade later. Old soldiers felt that it represented the larrikin side of the archetypal digger.

Hines became the subject of many tall tales and true. One popular but doubtful story was that the Kaiser had been enraged by the publication of the photograph that seemed to show a barbaric Australian gloating over his battle trophies."

In WW2 76 Squadron RAAF developed such a reputation for unorthodox procurement methods they were dubbed 'Turnbull's 76,000 thieves'.

Flash forward to the 21st Century, I have it on first hand authority that when Japanese forces left Iraq in 2006 some enterprising Australians 'liberated' or perhaps 're-allocated' a large quantity of electronic equipment (plasma TV's, etc) from the barracks! Well the Japanese didn't need them anymore.......

Angiolillo
11-29-2012, 23:43
A very interesting thread, from start onward!!!

Flying Officer Kyte
11-30-2012, 00:18
A very interesting piece Carl.
Its good to see that all that Sun ,sand,surf annd Sexy girls, has not let you all go soft down there, and that you have all retained your enterprising spirit.;)
Then he was Liverpool Irish!
Kyte.

Stormkahn
11-30-2012, 00:21
Always good to see some Aussie stuff, bravo Carl!!

cheers,

Dave.

Nightbomber
11-30-2012, 02:31
A very interesting Thread and posts. Thanks Carl. The biplanes' fights over Africa were really epic and I can't wait to get a set of the new minis. What about your grandpa stories? Did he left any written stories? Any pictures you have?

Above all - very nice models there!

Doug
11-30-2012, 02:53
Nice job Carl I will follow your lead and will be repainting my Gladiators to 3 Sqn RAAF when they come out.

Carl_Brisgamer
11-30-2012, 05:13
A very interesting Thread and posts. Thanks Carl. The biplanes' fights over Africa were really epic and I can't wait to get a set of the new minis. What about your grandpa stories? Did he left any written stories? Any pictures you have?

Above all - very nice models there!

My family has photos of my grandfather Harold Robinson in New Guinea and on Goodenough Island, I'll have to dig them up and scan them in.

At 34 years old Harry was not a young man when he enlisted in the RAAF in 1942. He was trained as ground crew, saw service with 76 Squadron RAAF (Kittyhawks) and was eventually discharged four years later in August 1946, a full year after the end of the war.

Carl_Brisgamer
11-30-2012, 05:26
A very interesting piece Carl.
Its good to see that all that Sun ,sand,surf annd Sexy girls, has not let you all go soft down there, and that you have all retained your enterprising spirit.;)
Then he was Liverpool Irish!
Kyte.

Some from old Blighty might say that given Australia was a originally a convict settlement it is just par for the course!