PDA

View Full Version : AAR Mission 13 Caught with their pants down. (The Bulldogs)

Flying Officer Kyte
11-09-2012, 05:11
As soon as we had recovered from our deployment to the new French airfield,Le petit creux boueux, we were soon apprised of our mission by Major Kyte. It seemed as if our Allies had been bogged down as a series of Hun Jastas had been assigned to bolster this area of the front.
To make ourselves as much of a nuisance as possible to the new routine of the Germans before they could settle in, each Flight was instructed to make a raid on one of the enemy airfields just after they had landed from their morning patrol, and before the planes had been refuelled.
As usual Hawkwood and Perry drew the short straw and got Jasta 11 as their objective.
After an abnormally late breakfast, the Flight took off, with the exception of Farmer who was on leave and Evans who could not get his engine to fire up.
By the time they had crossed the lines, Bassett had been damaged by Archie and Davis had been forced to land inside the French lines with a blocked intake problem.
Not an auspicious start to our courtesy call, mused Hawkwood, as he glanced over his shoulder half expecting to see the spectre of an all red Triplane bearing down on him at any moment.
However nothing more untoward transpired as the remaining pair of SE5s sped toward the Jasta 11 airfield.

Had Hawkwood been aware of the fact that at that moment in time the Red Barron was dispatching another totally different type of quarry in the forest of Bialowicz, he would have been much more at ease as he made his first pass over the completely unprepared airfield.

On the ground he could see at least six Triplanes, and a row of tents obviously being used until the drome was established properly.

Overflying the first row of aircraft Perry off loaded his clutch of bombs to good effect and then proceeded to beat up the rest of the aircraft in the line.

Hawkwood also staffed the same machines and both aircraft then climbed for height, before pulling a sharp turn and giving the same planes a return visit.

By this time three of the planes had started to taxi and Hawkwood took the opportunity of finishing the last one off on the ground before having to climb for height once more.

On the next pass, the enemy were starting to take off and our intrepid pilots were also getting some attention from a machine gun which had now been manned by the ground crew.

Nevertheless, Hawkwood got in a burst which started the taking off plane below him smoking,

and Perry who had not fired pulled an Immelmann turn and delivered a devastating fusillade into the plane below him, wounding the pilot, just as it took to the air. However, , at this juncture, Perry himself was set ablaze in cross fire from the ground.

Hawkwood meantime gave the rearward Triplane another telling burst from behind.

In spite of the fire, Perry continued to blaze away at the enemy, and caught the blue Triplane twice in quick succession, killing its pilot as both planes strove for more height.

As even more enemy aircraft were now taking off, and with serious damage to Perry, both he and Hawkwood headed for home copping even more ground fire as they went.

The fire damage to Perry was so bad that he was eventually forced to crash land just short of his own Drome when he lost all power to his engine.

The Butcher’s Bill.

Ginger Hawkwood. Returned to base with little damage, and destroyed one plane on the ground.
John Perry. Crash landed short of his home field due to fire damage. Destroyed two enemy
in the air.

Jasta II. One aircraft destroyed on the ground and two in the air.

flash
11-09-2012, 11:44
Top work by both pilots there Rob, love the airfield bling too. Tricky little so and so wasn't it ! :thumbsup:

MoonSylver
11-09-2012, 11:51
Wow, that one got hot in a hurry! :eek: Great AAR & pic's. :thumbsup:

Flying Officer Kyte
11-09-2012, 12:29
Tricky little so and so wasn't it ! :thumbsup:

It certainly was Dave old chap.

Trying to regain height all the time and get meaningful hits was a job and a half in itself.
Even Kyte did not utter a word about it at the debriefing.
With Perry opting for bombing from 4 he had to virtually overdive to even get down th level two in order to get a shot off before he missed the drome entirely, and then spent the next turn clawing back his height.
If he had not been lucky with the cards and pulled two pilot wounds in succession I think that the Tripe would have got him in the next phase.
Hawkwood did his usual stunt of " Look hardly a scratch on my plane again" I can see a payback coming there before long.
Rob.

Archidamus
11-09-2012, 12:39
Great AAR and photos Wingco. I trust that Perry is none the worse for his CFIT, and will soon be back in the air to give the Hun a jolly good thrashing!

Marechallannes
11-09-2012, 13:27
Nice, when the Bulldogs followed the starting Fokkers.:thumbsup:

I like the arrangement, pictures & story.

Well done Rob.:thumbsup:

I'll determine Perry's fate tomorrow. (crash landed in friendly territory)

gully_raker
11-09-2012, 15:18
:thumbsup: Enjoyable AAR Rob. Short & Sharp. Liked the attack on the Huns as they tried to take off.
The MG AA seemed effective. Did you dice for the number of guns & Aircraft to be active?

Flying Officer Kyte
11-10-2012, 00:15
:thumbsup: Enjoyable AAR Rob. Short & Sharp. Liked the attack on the Huns as they tried to take off.
The MG AA seemed effective. Did you dice for the number of guns & Aircraft to be active?

Yes Barry, the AA guns were a bit nasty.
Dice throws were done as per Gunners original briefing.
You can see little pilot markers at the side of each aircraft as they became active.
Rob.

flash
11-10-2012, 02:23
Getting his SL mixed up - pissed again Wingco ?! ;)

Nightbomber
11-10-2012, 02:44
Top notch! I am affraid we won't be able to match the AAR standard you set, Rob!:) A great report of a furious battle. Your boys deserved :medal::medal:

Marechallannes
11-10-2012, 03:37
Sir, a messenger from Brigadier Fitzgerald's staff with news from crashed Captain Perry.

Official short version: He's ok.

Inofficial extended version: He was inspected by a cute red haired nurse at a near field hospital.

Except of a flaming cheek (watch your hands Captain :smack: ) and a few harmless bruises, he seems unharmed and will return with the next supply truck.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?10090-The-Infirmary/page3

Flying Officer Kyte
11-10-2012, 08:50
Getting his SL mixed up - pissed again Wingco ?! ;)

It's worse than you know Dave.:eek: I filled in the original post as Flash. Posted it, read it back and quickly changed it to Gunners as my brain said he had written the scenario.:confused:
I'm afraid I am gradually getting more like that these last few months. Please accept my appology. I can't blame Kyte for this one, as I typed it out myself.:erk:
Rob.

gully_raker
11-10-2012, 14:46
Sir, a messenger from Brigadier Fitzgerald's staff with news from crashed Captain Perry.

Official short version: He's ok.

Inofficial extended version: He was inspected by a cute red haired nurse at a near field hospital.

Except of a flaming cheek (watch your hands Captain :smack: ) and a few harmless bruises, he seems unharmed and will return with the next supply truck.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?10090-The-Infirmary/page3

I rather think this is the nurse. Might have put a Red rinse through her hair since Capt. Triggers passed through. Funny he had a red cheek as well. Must be catching!:D

Flying Officer Kyte
11-11-2012, 01:29
I rather think this is the nurse. Might have put a Red rinse through her hair since Capt. Triggers passed through. Funny he had a red cheek as well. Must be catching!:D

I was going to say that I could not understand what had got into young Perry because he is not like that at all. The absolute gentleman in fact.
After seeing this picture, I can understand completely!
Kyte.

tikkifriend
11-11-2012, 05:58
Got to be the best photo set yet Rob, :thumbsup: The model railway must be looking a bit bare ;)

Well done those boys.

Paul

Flying Officer Kyte
11-11-2012, 07:29
Got to be the best photo set yet Rob, :thumbsup: The model railway must be looking a bit bare ;)

Well done those boys.

Paul

Thanks Paul.
Actually it was the ACW setup that suffered.:D
Rob.

flash
11-12-2012, 10:46
It's worse than you know Dave.:eek: I filled in the original post as Flash. Posted it, read it back and quickly changed it to Gunners as my brain said he had written the scenario.:confused:
I'm afraid I am gradually getting more like that these last few months. Please accept my appology. I can't blame Kyte for this one, as I typed it out myself.:erk:
Rob.

Slurring your keyboard - Impressive !! ;)

Flying Officer Kyte
11-12-2012, 11:24
Slurring your keyboard - Impressive !! ;)

Yes that too. Please accept my apology.
You should see all the letters that I hit next to the ones I want as werll.
Just one of the aspects of being partially sighted, and my son has even got me a keyboard with high res letters on it.:cool: Where is that white stick? Good grief, now I'm seeing double postings as well!
Rob.

MoonSylver
11-12-2012, 14:19

:lol:

Flying Officer Kyte
11-13-2012, 01:44
Methinks these ladies should be on the Infirmary thread by now.
Back to work girls.
Kyte.