PDA

View Full Version : Quick question

MoonSylver
11-02-2012, 15:49
I've been considering taking the plunge & building some planes. Even went so far as to purchase the necessary materials & resize some PDF's. Just haven't tackled it yet. I'd appreciate it if anyone could give me a rough estimapt of the amount of time that's usually involved? Part of my hesitation has been in knowing how much time to set aside for such projects. Also, can one be done in one setting, or is it something that is going to require multiple sessions?

Thanks in advance. :)

clipper1801
11-02-2012, 22:50
It really depends on the project. Single fighters take me about 2-3 hours but then I make them in sets so I can figure out a step, practice it and then do it multiple times. It helps to also make a couple at a time to allow the glue to set on one while you do the other. I have been known to make up to 6 paper models at once-like the Staaken Seaplanes. They took two evenings ~ 8 hours total to make 6. Just me and my madness (or my elves if they join me in the fun) If you haven't made a card model yet I would suggest you do one full size first to get the hang of it before doing a 1/144 scale . . . just sayin . . . Clipper

Jager
11-03-2012, 02:18
You might want to keep in mind that David is a modeling machine ;) (and has elves to help too).
Karl

MoonSylver
11-03-2012, 15:22
Thanks guys for the feedback. Better than I feared it would be. I considered doing a larger size first, but I do a lot of crafts, (painting, print & play games etc) & am used to working w/ card stock, small details, etc, so I think I'll probably go small to start. If I mess up the first one, no big, as I plan on printing a full page of planes anyway. :)

The Cowman
11-04-2012, 01:26
Rob I look forward to seeing some of your work... maybe next Sunday the 11th? :)

redcoon2
11-04-2012, 01:31
Is there something on the 11th? I see nothing posted on the calendar...just saying....

MoonSylver
11-04-2012, 09:08
Rob I look forward to seeing some of your work... maybe next Sunday the 11th? :)

Sadly fate has conspired against me again. The kids were sick this weekend & had to stay home, so I'll have them next weekend, or else I would have been there, as I would have been free & was looking forward to trying again. :(

The Cowman
11-04-2012, 17:41
Is there something on the 11th? I see nothing posted on the calendar...just saying....

Thomas I shall correct that...

OldGuy59
11-08-2012, 15:23
Hmmm.... How long to build paper planes. I would estimate a lot longer than 6 hours, cause I had to step away from them to prevent destruction a few times. The suggestion of building bigger versions first will, most likely, prevent some of the suffering I continue to experience in trying to build tiny models I can barely see, with fingers way to big to handle small parts. I have yet to finish the two RNAS 10 Sqn Sopwith Camels (A and B Flt), to go with my first "C Flt" Camel, but they were almost complete (working on a new technique with brass rod and McDonald's cardboard re-enforcements on the upper wing). I left them at home, while on the next part of my business journey. However, I am working on an Albatros DV and a Fokker D VII, while on this trip. I have the rough cut done on the Albatros and the Fokker, but am dreading the round fuselage on the Albatros, and the multiple bends in the Fokker, at this scale, considering the fun I had on the first two planes (with reasonably "square" and straight fuselages).

So, it will take as long as it takes, until you get proficient at building them. And the first, "large scale" build will help with the frustration, and will speed up the "undoing" and "redoing" of your work at the smaller scale. Which can only improve the time factor. With your crafting skills in other pursuits, you are already better off at the start than I was.

Good luck, and the only way to get good at card models is to do them.

OldGuy!

wargamer
11-08-2012, 15:46

ummm, joke here? 11 hundred hours, November 11, 1918. ring any bells? like the silence of an armistice going into effect?

Zakopious
11-08-2012, 19:00
My elves are a bunch of sluggards so my planes take a lot longer than Clippers.
I estimate 2 hours per night for a week.
Thus, a total of 14 hours which includes touch-up with acrylic paint and making bases.
See:
http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?7040-Cardmodel-Camels-by-Zakopious