PDA

View Full Version : Reporting for duty

Biggles downunder
10-24-2012, 21:16
Well, I guess it's about time that I fronted up to the Adjutant and declared my presence - been too busy taking in the sights and sounds of gay Paree ;)

I have been a fan of WOW since picking up the boxed game from the local games shop (Tea Tree Plaza for the locals).

I have always been interested in things with wings having grown up with a father who was an avid aero-modeller. He is actually in the record books as the first person to fly a radio controlled model aeroplane in South Australia. He was also part of the small team that built the model of the Vickers Vimy that hangs in the display case alongside the real thing at Adelaide airport.

I can (just) remember his win in a national event in 1955 with a free-flight scale Bristol Scout - maybe that explains things!

I can also just remember the occasion he took me to the unveiling of the Ross & Keith Smith memorial where I heard Wally Shiers talk about some of their shared adventures and the fact that they referred to the registration code, G-EAOU, as standing for God 'Elp All Of Us - what I would give to have had a recording device!!

I grew up via the inevitable Airfix route but never got involved in flying models then the early years of marriage and children saw modelling take a back seat.

Modelling has sort of returned, though my wife thinks I am insulating the house with unbuilt kits! My love affair with wings continues as I expand my miniatures collection with a recent foray into the world of Shapeways.

Unfortunately I seem to have little time to actually 'fly' them, but I am a keen follower of the forum.

~Wayne

Baron Rolf
10-24-2012, 21:56
Welcome Wayne to the drone , my place is slowly turning into a aerodrome plus I do medieval reenactment so I've turned our place into a shrine to all things medieval , so as you can imagine how my missus feels lol with all my man tat dotted about our gaff :wafangry:

flash
10-25-2012, 01:42
Welcome to the 'drome Wayne from a overcast Sussex coast in England - see you've been in for two and a half years so I'm sure you know where everything is - I've insulated two loft spaces so far ! ;)

Flying Officer Kyte
10-25-2012, 02:07
:salute:Here is your official welcome to the Drome from the U.K. Squadrons Wayne.
Kyte says it is high time you fessed up to being here and bought him a drink.:FOK:
I told Kyte he had never reported for duty himself. He just smiled to himself in that disturbing way he has just before you get the early morning patrol duty.:takecover:
Rob.

alkis21
10-25-2012, 02:34
Welcome Wayne from Greece!

marcoperse
10-25-2012, 02:56
welcome to the 'Drome Wayne from Florence :salute:

:pint::pint::pint::pint::pint::pint::pint::pint::pint::pint:

Marco

Biggles downunder
10-25-2012, 03:07
welcome to the 'Drome Wayne from Florence :salute:

:pint::pint::pint::pint::pint::pint::pint::pint::pint::pint:

Marco

G'day Marco

I spent a day in Florence when my wife and I were staying in Montecatini (I'm sure that's not how it is spelled!!) - loved Tuscany!!

~Wayne

marcoperse
10-25-2012, 03:11
Montecatini (I'm sure that's not how it is spelled!!)

You spell it perfectly :thumbsup:

Marco

gully_raker
10-25-2012, 03:34
:salute: G'day Wayne & may I officially welcome you to the 'drome from the NSW Squadron.
We have a few pilots operating over in SA notably Dark Horse (Nigel) so do have a search for any in your area & perhaps you can meet up for some games. You might like to send Nigel a PM & see if he has any info for you.

Cheers & see you in the Officers Club Bar as I am sure F/O Kyte is waiting for you to shout.:D:pint::FOK::drinks::thumbsup:

grumpybear
10-25-2012, 03:56
Hi from Alberta

Willi Von Klugermann
10-25-2012, 04:48
Welcome aboard Wayne.

Biggles downunder
10-25-2012, 05:10
Welcome to the 'drome Wayne from a overcast Sussex coast in England - see you've been in for two and a half years so I'm sure you know where everything is - I've insulated two loft spaces so far ! ;)

I wouldn't be game to put them in my roof space - gets to 50 degrees plus in the middle of summer here in Oz! :eek:

~Wayne

Nightbomber
10-25-2012, 05:26
Hi from Poland, Wayne:thumbsup:
Your hobby story seems to be quite common here;) Welcome!

wargamer
10-25-2012, 08:20
Welcome aboard from Pensacola Florida!

bsmith13
10-25-2012, 17:10
Welcome to the site, Wayne!

crashx
10-25-2012, 17:19
Hello, welcome to the group!!!

johnandtricia
10-25-2012, 17:43
Welcome from Chi-town

Coog
10-25-2012, 18:34
Hi Wayne, welcome from Texas!

Dark Horse
10-29-2012, 04:15
G'Day Wayne, Howz tricks?

Biggles downunder
10-29-2012, 05:17
G'day Nigel

I've just taken delivery of my first Shapeways aircraft. Two Bristol Fighters and a D VII. I'm currently looking at a sheet of N Gauge railway decals (letters and numbers) that I got from my train-fanatic brother and they look just right for serial numbers on the tails of my Brisfits - know anyone who has a microscope for sale? :)

Bruce
10-29-2012, 07:43
Ditto Grumpybear's Canadian welcome.
Love the Spad XIII ... the colour scheme must have driven the mechanics/fitters on the flight line crazy.

David Manley
10-29-2012, 08:01
Welcome aboard from the Gloucestershire Aerodrome :)

Guntruck
10-31-2012, 06:55
G'day and welcome from England