PDA

View Full Version : None: THE GRAND WORLD TOUR & LEND-LEASE 2013

Guntruck
10-10-2012, 06:14
OK folks, to quote one of Great Britain's greatest heroes: "I have a cunning plan my lord". Let's run this up he flagpole and see who salutes it. :thumbsup:

I am thinking of sending a Wings of Glory WW1 bomber model, suitably adorned, on a world tour. The idea is to send it around members in different countries, with each member photographing the plane against a backdrop of a local landmark, filling in some details on a log book and send it to the next member. The photos will then be put in a forum album to mark its progress.

Eventually, the (hopefully) much-travelled bomber will be raffled or auctioned to provide funds to get next year's lend-lease candidate to Origins. So, a bit of fun and a chance to win a unique model.

A few things to be take note of before you all rush to join in the fun:

Each participating member will be responsible for postage costs on to the next member (a bit unlucky if you are the last in a country and have to send it overseas, but sadly unavoidable).

Each participant needs to be happy with giving out their snailmail address. I'll tell each member who to send it on to and give them the forwarding address

Each member will need to PM Mission Control (me) when they receive it and when they send it on and to whom they send it. This is to make sure its precise whereabouts are known and we can chase quickly if it gets lost in transit.

In order to get it to as many members as possible in the time available, you must not sit on the model (metaphorically) before doing the necessary and sending it on.

Still needs to be agreed whether it will be raffled or auctioned, but if a raffle I am thinking that participating members should get 2 tickets and non-participants one ticket for the same price.

More info as I make it up - err, I mean as it comes in :D

So for now, if you are interested drop me a PM so I can gauge whether this is a runner.

Steve

Gaz67
10-10-2012, 06:39
Indeed, a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel.

Watchdog
10-10-2012, 09:17
How about sending a scout miniature? It would be possible to send it overseas in a bubble envelope, greatly reducing the affiliated costs. ;)

Baldrick62
10-10-2012, 10:49
OK folks, to quote one of Great Britain's greatest heroes: "I have a cunning plan my lord".

Why thank you!

Humbly yours...:p

Flying Officer Kyte
10-10-2012, 11:41
Sounds like a goer to me Gunners. I can have it photographed with my own hero, the statue of Albert Ball in Nottingham.
Rob.

csadn
10-10-2012, 12:30
How about sending a scout miniature? It would be possible to send it overseas in a bubble envelope, greatly reducing the affiliated costs. ;)

Not with the strategically-shaved gorillas the USPS employs....

(Note how I managed to work Yet Another _Blackadder_ Reference into that. :) )

AlgyLacey
10-10-2012, 13:01
I think maybe the scout idea is a cheaper option (and though it won't have the range of the bombers we won't have to worry too much about long runways)

I think this is a goer. Should we go for a distinctive repaint? That way if it does get "sat on" or mixed up in someone's collection it should be easy to spot.

I'm game.

BobP
10-10-2012, 14:53
Sound like a nice plan. Let us know how many people are involved.

gully_raker
10-10-2012, 15:17
:thumbsup: Yes great idea & I am in!

BobP
10-10-2012, 15:26
Have been thinking and have a landmark in ind already. Prior planning.

Doug
10-10-2012, 15:34
I am in :thumbsup:

pbhawkin
10-10-2012, 16:45
'I'm absolutely top-hole, sir, with an ying and yang and yippiedeedoo.'

great idea.

wargamer
10-10-2012, 16:58
Already replied via pm, and am deciding which landmark would be best.

Pensacola, Florida

Lloydthegamer
10-10-2012, 17:38
Sounds like fun. I'm in. Lloyd

clipper1801
10-10-2012, 18:19
I'd be willing to make shipping case with a fitted foam packing with space Ut to enclose info . . . Clipper & co

bsmith13
10-10-2012, 20:31
Count me in.

Guntruck
10-11-2012, 02:57
Sounds like a goer to me Gunners. I can have it photographed with my own hero, the statue of Albert Ball in Nottingham.
Rob.

Why did I know that was coming? :D

So you're in then?

Guntruck
10-11-2012, 03:15
Humbly yours...:p

There’s a first ;)

I'd be willing to make shipping case with a fitted foam packing with space Ut to enclose info . . . Clipper & co

David, I love you and want to have your babies! Many thanks for the offer, which I will gladly take up.

Should we go for a distinctive repaint? That way if it does get "sat on" or mixed up in someone's collection it should be easy to spot.

Dave, by the time I've finished with it there's no way it will get mixed up :D.

Not with the strategically-shaved gorillas the USPS employs....

(Note how I managed to work Yet Another _Blackadder_ Reference into that. :) )

Chris, Agreed - we are not at home to Mr Cock-up, and I'd lump Royal Fail in with USPS.

Jan, I'm going for a bomber as there is more room to show a bit of artistic flair (or I might paint it myself :D). For starters, I want to add roundels for each country it will hopefully pass through. That will leave plenty of room for "Grand World Tour" decals or possibly sponsorship logos (you never know, one of the retailers might want to chip in with a plane - hint, hint).

Flying Officer Kyte
10-11-2012, 03:52
Why did I know that was coming? :D

So you're in then?

Was their ever any doubt?
Kyte.

PANdemonium
10-11-2012, 06:12
I am in...as I am close to New York City, I have a few landmarks in mind.

clipper1801
10-11-2012, 06:23
"Make it so!" Clipper the colaborator is all on board . . .

Marechallannes
10-11-2012, 07:10
Count me in Steve!

I like the idea - and I like to see a bomber miniature traveling around the world.

This one has to stop in Zirndorf / Nürnberg / Germany.

Nightbomber
10-11-2012, 11:37
...and then fly to Opole;) a short distance.
I'm in.:salute:

Linz
10-11-2012, 13:04
I'm in guess Dunedin NZ will be as far south as it goes. Will have to photograph it with penguins.
Or Dunedin Town hall (it has the first city clock shown on TV New year 2000)
Linz

csadn
10-11-2012, 13:29
[shrug] I suppose if no one else from Oregon volunteers to take it to the Evergreen A&S Museum....

BobP
10-11-2012, 13:48
Chris just sent an idea about postage to Steve so see what he has to say about it.

pbhawkin
10-11-2012, 14:50
Steve,
You just mentioned a thought I was having!
I will put one of my (petersplanes) resin 1/144 WW2 twin engined planes (wargamer model) in the box as it comes through here.
You can decide who gets it.

Regards
Peter

Guntruck
10-12-2012, 01:10
Peter, thanks for the offer. PM'd you about it

For info we are currently up to 15 members from 6 countries who want to take part :thumbsup:

Gaz67
10-12-2012, 07:29
Can't see any reason why not, so add me.

Guntruck
10-12-2012, 08:06
16 members and 7 countries

Flying Officer Kyte
10-12-2012, 11:17
16 members and 7 countries

Eight if we give Scotland its rightful place Gunners.
Come on Wales, and Canada, make it a double figure tour.
Rob.

Guntruck
10-12-2012, 12:27
Eight if we give Scotland its rightful place Gunners.
Come on Wales, and Canada, make it a double figure tour.
Rob.

Scotland was No 7 Rob.

Niclas
10-12-2012, 12:44
Ok. I'm in.
Doubt that I'll be able to get hold of an ABBA member to photograph it with though...

/Niclas

Flying Officer Kyte
10-12-2012, 12:54
Scotland was No 7 Rob.

Sorry, I got eight Gunners.

Scotland.
England.
Czechoslovakia.
Australia.
United States.
Germany.
Poland.
and New Zealand.

Niclas
10-12-2012, 13:02
Hey! What about Sweden?

BobP
10-12-2012, 13:35
Steve I sent you my idea so I hope you know I am in.

BobP
10-12-2012, 13:41
Just had another thought. I think there is a group ( I can't think of the name) that goes around using GPS or clues to find objects. When they find the hidden item they put something there. That could be something we do. When you get the pagkage take a picture as Steve asked and put something in the box to send it on.

Flying Officer Kyte
10-12-2012, 14:10
Hey! What about Sweden?
:salute:
You were not on there when I made post 31 Niclas, so I could not include you in that total.
Rob.

Guntruck
10-12-2012, 15:26
Hey! What about Sweden?

Which bit of "drop me a PM" are you having trouble with Niclas? :D

OK, you are added to the list. But only if you get a pic with Agnetha Fältskog.

Guntruck
10-12-2012, 15:35
Just had another thought. I think there is a group ( I can't think of the name) that goes around using GPS or clues to find objects. When they find the hidden item they put something there. That could be something we do. When you get the pagkage take a picture as Steve asked and put something in the box to send it on.

Bob, I'll respond to your PM tomorrow when I'm more awake.

But let's keep this particular exercise as simple (and as cheap) as possible. I don't want to end up with a parcel the size of Hampshire that costs something equivalent to the Bolivian national debt to mail on. For this project we will stick to one item only - the plane.

Nightbomber
10-12-2012, 17:28
Which bit of "drop me a PM" are you having trouble with Niclas? :D

Right...I love one of her songs especially, wow... this is the one...

http://youtu.be/JimNwp8jm5Q

Xen
10-12-2012, 20:04
Count me in! (by the way I dont believe Czechoslovakia actually exists ;)

Guntruck
10-12-2012, 23:46
Count me in! (by the way I dont believe Czechoslovakia actually exists ;)

You are in Evan. :thumbsup:

Sorry, I got eight Gunners.

Scotland.
England.
Czechoslovakia.
Australia.
United States.
Germany.
Poland.
and New Zealand.

Despite having been the the Czech Republic and Slovakia for the last 20 years Rob, nobody has formally committed from 'Czechoslovakia' yet (Hint, hint). We are up to 8 countries now as Niclas has promised me Agnetha Fältskog's signature if I let Sweden play. :D

Flying Officer Kyte
10-12-2012, 23:52

Despite having been the the Czech Republic and Slovakia for the last 20 years Rob, nobody has formally committed from 'Czechoslovakia' yet (Hint, hint). :D

I expect that you are going to tell me that the Gold Coast does not exist next !
Kyte.

Guntruck
10-13-2012, 00:00
I don't know how to break it to you but.....:(

Niclas
10-13-2012, 00:45
[..]

I'm afraid she's a bit of a recluse, so that might be tough.

/Niclas

Flying Officer Kyte
10-13-2012, 01:34
:embarass:I feel I must apologise to you Jan, for being so out of date that I stated your country wrong in my post.:salute:
Rob.

flash
10-13-2012, 02:20
if you want another English one Gunners I'll happily get a pic of it over Beachy Head - if it stops bloody raining that is !

Boney10
10-13-2012, 02:51
If you want a trip over to the West ie Bristol I'm in :) I can always take it over the Bridge to Wales

Guntruck
10-13-2012, 03:48
Chris and Dave, you are both in :thumbsup:

Linz
10-13-2012, 04:26
Would we be able to leave the postage stamps in with the aircraft it would be a great souvenir for who ever wins the model.
Linz

Guntruck
10-13-2012, 04:42
What about sticking them to the log book?

Flying Officer Kyte
10-13-2012, 07:32

Geocaching Bob.
Rob.

Flying Officer Kyte
10-13-2012, 07:36
What about sticking them to the log book?

Sounds like a great idea to me. that way they could all go in in order and would not go missing. Also as the plane passes through your area, would it be possible to get it into your local Newspaper. It may arouse some interest in the game in your area?
Rob.

Xen
10-13-2012, 08:22
local papers would definitely run something on this... they are always desperate for articles in melbourne!!

Beer&pretzels
10-13-2012, 20:17
Can I get in on this?

Guntruck
10-13-2012, 22:05
Hi Michael, you are in!

Just a quick update: As at stupid o'clock on Sunday morning, the following have signed up for the World Tour, enough to make it a runner:

Australia
gully-raker
Doug
pbhawkin
Xen

New Zealand
Linz

Germany
Marechallannes

Sweden
Niclas

Poland
Nightbomber

UK
Gaz67
Guntruck
Flying Officer Kyte
David Manley
Boney 10
Flash

USA
BobP
Wargamer
Lloydthegamer
Clipper1801
bsmith13
PANdemonium
csadn
Kahlerclan
Clipper 1801
Beer&Pretzels

Still plenty of time to sign up. Do you know, I could have sworn we had some members in the Czech Republic, Belgium, Italy, Portugal, Canada........;)

Flying Officer Kyte
10-14-2012, 01:38
Still plenty of time to sign up. Do you know, I could have sworn we had some members in the Czech Republic, Belgium, Italy, Portugal, Canada........;)

You are spot on Squadron Leader.
Come on you chaps. I know your Wingcos' will be chivvying you on.
Kyte.

Guntruck
10-14-2012, 11:11
Just got back from SELWEG show, so bit of an update. I blew into the ear of one of the traders and picked up a Caproni for a knock-down price, so this is what we will be using. Also spoke to the asst editor of Wargames Illustrated, who said they would run a news article on this little jaunt. Looks like a good opportunity to tout the forum, methinks.

flash
10-14-2012, 11:25
And very nice it is too - Top Blagging that man - good to see you again Gunners !

BobP
10-14-2012, 11:29
WOW this is really picking up steam. I like the stamp idea also.

Guntruck
10-14-2012, 11:34
And very nice it is too - Top Blagging that man - good to see you again Gunners !

And you too Dave.

And if they fit I have an idea for the crew......

Flying Officer Kyte
10-14-2012, 12:17
Well done that man.
We seem to be making our mark on the U.K. Wargaming world at last.
Once Ares really get into their stride, we should be able to get even more coverage for the game.
Rob.

Nightbomber
10-14-2012, 13:01
The "stamp idea" is perfect :thumbsup: I'm eager to follow it:)

Baldrick62
10-14-2012, 13:01
Just a quick update: As at stupid o'clock on Sunday morning, the following have signed up for the World Tour, enough to make it a runner:

Australia
gully-raker
Doug
pbhawkin
Xen

New Zealand
Linz

Germany
Marechallannes

Sweden
Niclas

Poland
Nightbomber

UK
Gaz67
Guntruck
Flying Officer Kyte
David Manley
Boney 10
Flash

USA
BobP
Wargamer
Lloydthegamer
Clipper1801
bsmith13
PANdemonium
csadn
Kahlerclan
Clipper 1801
Beer&Pretzels

GT,
I don't want to pour cold water on what is in itself a commendable idea to gain some publicity for the hobby, but by using more than one volunteer in each country you're potentially going to prolong this into oblivion logistically. If you assume the mini is received on Day 1, photographed in a location on Day 2 and posted on Day 3, even without transit times between volunteers, you're already looking at 75 days. I'd suggest that you might want to consider the random selection for a single person in each country/principality in the UK and each larger geographic area in the USA (based on time zone perhaps?), lest this project take forever to complete.
BofB

Beer&pretzels
10-14-2012, 15:38
No Canadians or French. Scare bleu!

Guntruck
10-15-2012, 01:11
GT,
I don't want to pour cold water on what is in itself a commendable idea to gain some publicity for the hobby, but by using more than one volunteer in each country you're potentially going to prolong this into oblivion logistically. If you assume the mini is received on Day 1, photographed in a location on Day 2 and posted on Day 3, even without transit times between volunteers, you're already looking at 75 days. I'd suggest that you might want to consider the random selection for a single person in each country/principality in the UK and each larger geographic area in the USA (based on time zone perhaps?), lest this project take forever to complete.
BofB

Yeah Balders, I've thought about that. We have theoretically about 6 months to get this done so I am confident that we can get it to most people who want to take part. But I am aware that no plan lasts longer than the first shot fired, so I will be monitoring progress carefully and adjust as necessary. Thanks for bringing it up though.

Baldrick62
10-15-2012, 10:26
I will be monitoring progress carefully and adjust as necessary.

Best of luck; it remains a great initiative to get people involved and potentially generate both publicity for the wider game and cash for Lend-Lease.:thumbsup:

Guntruck
10-15-2012, 10:46
Thank you Balders. Can we sign you up for this little enterprise?

Baldrick62
10-15-2012, 10:57
As long as you're happy with more Royal Mail stamps, absolutely!

As far as other more interesting stamps along with those you've already listed above go, we're also still adrift Argentina, Brazil, Denmark, Greece, Singapore, Spain and the former Crown Colony of Hong Kong, recalling from people I'm sure I've corresponded with here on the forum.

Marechallannes
10-15-2012, 11:05
We can safe time if we let the bomber circle first in the UK - then in USA/North America - then Australia/New Zealand - then the Rest of Europe.

Or in any other order divided in regions.

I think we're loosing the most time with crossing the Atlantic and the Pacific.

Oberst Hajj
10-15-2012, 21:27
The Flight path is going to be UK - Europe - Asia - US. It has to land in my hands at the very end, so no need to send it to the US twice.

Guntruck
10-16-2012, 00:49
As long as you're happy with more Royal Mail stamps, absolutely!

As far as other more interesting stamps along with those you've already listed above go, we're also still adrift Argentina, Brazil, Denmark, Greece, Singapore, Spain and the former Crown Colony of Hong Kong, recalling from people I'm sure I've corresponded with here on the forum.

There's a couple of places there I didn't know we had members - Singapore and HK.

We can safe time if we let the bomber circle first in the UK - then in USA/North America - then Australia/New Zealand - then the Rest of Europe.

Or in any other order divided in regions.

I think we're loosing the most time with crossing the Atlantic and the Pacific.

Damn, and there was I going to send it to someone in the UK, then Australia, then back to the UK, then Australia again, etc. :p

Not to worry Sven, I didn't just come up with this on the spur of the moment - I did put some thought into it and if I do say it myself, even I can work out an optimum route. :cool:

Flying Officer Kyte
10-16-2012, 01:28
Remember that we can save a day by sending it West to East. I'm glad the U.K. will be first as all the time faults will add up at the end of the flight. Sorry U.S.A.
Rob.:takecover:

Marechallannes
10-16-2012, 03:44
Don't worry, Rob.

They have learned their lesson in North Africa 42/43.:slysmile:

So I think the bomber will be "blitzing Patton-style" through the United States.

:lol:

:takecover: :takecover: :takecover:

Baldrick62
10-16-2012, 04:18
Actually, you generally lose a day by sending it west to east. When it's morning on the US East coast, it's already afternoon of the same day in Europe. The only time the wheeze works is when crossing the International Date Line.

Guntruck
10-16-2012, 05:14
Remember that we can save a day by sending it West to East. I'm glad the U.K. will be first as all the time faults will add up at the end of the flight. Sorry U.S.A.
Rob.:takecover:

Excellent! That means I can save a day by sending it to Dave Manley in Bristol :thumbsup:

Bluedevil
10-16-2012, 05:58
Belgium reporting in Sir! :salute:

Who do I send that PM to and what do you need to now? ( ok and now I'll start reading every post in this thread :p )

PS...don't make the box too big or too heavy cause Post ratings over here are rather steep lately:hmm:

PANdemonium
10-16-2012, 06:33
just so everyone knows...I can only go to NYC on a weekend and hopefully the weather is good....so there could be a very slight delay as it passes through New York...I'll try by best

Flying Officer Kyte
10-16-2012, 09:00
Actually, you generally ose a day by sending it west to east. When it's morning on the US East coast, it's already afternoon of the same day in Europe. The only time the wheeze works is when crossing the International Date Line.

To get to the States going East to West it will in fact have to cross the International Date Line.
Rob.

Canuck
10-18-2012, 21:11
Add me in as well Guntruck. Barker is buried in Toronto in the cemetery just south of me, 500 m, so that rather than the CN Tower may be my choice of "landmarks".

AlgyLacey
10-18-2012, 22:54
I expect that you are going to tell me that the Gold Coast does not exist next !
Kyte.

Like me, you have a mental map of the world that is mostly pink and full of countries that no longer exist or are clumped under titles like French West Africa.

If you post things to Rhodesia still do they get there?:confused:

flash
10-19-2012, 01:00
Add me in as well Guntruck. Barker is buried in Toronto in the cemetery just south of me, 500 m, so that rather than the CN Tower may be my choice of "landmarks".

Well done Paul, why not do both ! ;)

Guntruck
10-19-2012, 02:21

Hurrah! Our firsrt Canadian. You're in Paul - and what Flash said. I rather enjoyed Toronto when I went there a couple of years back - didn't know about Barker's resting place though.

Canuck
10-19-2012, 05:44
Hurrah! Our firsrt Canadian. You're in Paul - and what Flash said. I rather enjoyed Toronto when I went there a couple of years back - didn't know about Barker's resting place though.

OK, 2 photos then. Check out the Barker Memorial (http://www.mountpleasantgroup.com/Default.aspx?DN=cee4e293-fed3-434f-bedf-650059a5ad4b).

Beer&pretzels
10-19-2012, 07:16
The plane is going to Canada! Excellent! But we really need France, South Africa would be nice, too.

Flying Officer Kyte
10-19-2012, 10:51
A very fine Memorial Paul. It is made all the more Poignant because I was reading about Wlliam Barker in my Osprey " British and Comonwealth Aces" this morning. It will be good to have it included in our itinerary.
Rob.

Guntruck
10-19-2012, 12:11
Balders came up with a good idea that hadn't occured to me and I thank him for it :thankyou: - to stop great minds thinking alike and us getting several shots of the same landmark, just before we kick this off I'll have a list of landmarks that you are going to use off you. I am sure we will only get one shot of the water tower in Okeefenokee or wherever, but where we have a cluster of members we may get duplicates.

I've got dibs on the RAF Museum on account of me having my mitts on the plane first. :thumbsup:

flash
10-19-2012, 12:24
I will do Beachy head/seven sisters - iconic white cliffs and all that (look better than Dovers !)

Flying Officer Kyte
10-19-2012, 12:31
I bagged The Albert Ball Memorial first.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14602&d=1308061659

Rob.

Marechallannes
10-19-2012, 13:11
A historical location from Nuernberg.

WW II:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=63271&d=1350677410

Niclas
10-19-2012, 13:21
We don't (for obvious reasons) have many WWI or WWII related monuments in Stockholm. Well, yes we do have the Raoul Wallenberg one, but photographing that with a WWI bomber would be just a little bit too weird, even for me.
I'll probably just go with something touristy.
With a little bit of luck, it won't arrive with me until there's lots of snow - Giving me the opportunity to feed some stereotypes.

/Niclas

csadn
10-19-2012, 13:52
If you post things to Rhodesia still do they get there?:confused:

You kidding? Posting things to *Zimbabwe* makes it unlikely they'll get there.... :)

grumpybear
10-19-2012, 18:13
I would like also to join in Canada number 2

gully_raker
10-19-2012, 19:50
:cheezy: What could be more suitable for the Caponi than our "famous" Air Raid Tavern?

Baldrick62
10-19-2012, 23:57
I'd heard about submarine activity off the NSW south coast during WWII, but never an air raid! What's the story behind the pub's name?

Guntruck
10-20-2012, 04:53
I would like also to join in Canada number 2

Righto Darrell, you're on!

BobP
10-20-2012, 10:44
I was wondering what type of photo to take for the background with the bomber and I came up with one. Thanks for all of your input to give me an idea.

gully_raker
10-20-2012, 18:14
I'd heard about submarine activity off the NSW south coast during WWII, but never an air raid! What's the story behind the pub's name?

:D G'day Balders old chap!
As far as I know there was no actual Air Raid made on Moruya during WW2 but there were a lot of Shipping sunk off the cost around here but mainly by submarines. Probably just sounded a rather cool name for a Tavern.;)
We had a Squadron based at the current regional Aerodrome here doing Anti Sub work plus search & rescue.
Dont know if you saw the photo attached below (which I have posted previously) of a beautiful carved wood statue commemorating the Pilots who flew from here during the War.

Baldrick62
10-21-2012, 02:09
Thanks for the details.
Perhaps the 'air raids' on the pub were done by the locally-stationed aircrew!:drinks::singin::dazed::wafangry::drunk::sleep:

Guntruck
10-21-2012, 02:28
Right, where are we with this?

Oh yes, we have 30 members (out of a total of 75 who have looked at this thread) from 10 countries signed up for this. The Caproni has been dis-assembled, had new tail skids added (the originals will not survive the journey), a pilot, navigator and engineer - all wearing dinner jackets - fitted, it's been de-greased and will be primed later outside if it stops raining long enough. Hopefully the whole thing will be finished before I receive Clipper's custom travelling case.

I'm now about to start working on the decals for it.

tikkifriend
10-21-2012, 07:10
Hi all if you want to fly her to France count me in. :thumbsup: Not a lot of historic landmarks in Brittany but i will give it a whirl
Paul:drinks:

Guntruck
10-21-2012, 07:18
Hi Paul, you're in!

Flying Officer Kyte
10-21-2012, 08:29
That is good news indeed Gunners. I hope we can add a couple more countries befor the flight departure date.
Rob.

David Manley
10-21-2012, 08:46
Chaps, I'm being a bit word blind here (and stuck reading on a so-called Smart phone) - are the proceeds going to a service charity? If yes I can swing something quite nice when its my turn.

Baldrick62
10-21-2012, 08:49
Chaps, I'm being a bit word blind here (and stuck reading on a so-called Smart phone) - are the proceeds going to a service charity? If yes I can swing something quite nice when its my turn.

From GT's opener: 'Eventually, the (hopefully) much-travelled bomber will be raffled or auctioned to provide funds to get next year's lend-lease candidate to Origins. So, a bit of fun and a chance to win a unique model.'

David Manley
10-21-2012, 09:39
B***er - OK, will have to go with Plan B :(

will still find somewhere nice to snap it though :)

Guntruck
10-21-2012, 11:30
SS Great Britain? Or the Helicopter Museum at Weston if you feel like a day out? :D

gully_raker
10-21-2012, 14:22
Thanks for the details.
Perhaps the 'air raids' on the pub were done by the locally-stationed aircrew!:drinks::singin::dazed::wafangry::drunk::sleep:

:thumbsup::lol::lol::lol:

Flying Officer Kyte
10-22-2012, 00:55
Thanks for the details.

Never been near the place in me life!:cheezy:
Kyte.

gully_raker
10-22-2012, 14:43
Never been near the place in me life!:cheezy:
Kyte.

:cheezy:About the only one you havent been in Old Bean!:thumbsup:

gully_raker
10-22-2012, 14:46
:hmm: Any idea when the package is likely to arrive in Oz as I am off to spend Christmas with my daughter in Queensland & will probably be away about 3 weeks from just before Christmas.

Guntruck
10-23-2012, 05:17
In a word - No. My guess would be after Chrimbo

Linz
10-29-2012, 03:26
If we could get it here for February 6th Waitangi Day might be able to tie it in with that.
Linz

Guntruck
10-29-2012, 05:00
If we could get it here for February 6th Waitangi Day might be able to tie it in with that.
Linz

That I fear would be pushing it, unfortunately.

Guntruck
11-04-2012, 11:39
Right, 4th November update.

The Caproni painting programme was delayed by a couple of days as I had to go oop North for work. The painting and gloss varnishing's finished, and I've started decorating the top wing with roundels from every country participating. Dom' s put my decal order in the post which will give me my Belgian and American roundels, and my bag of decals turned up some 30 year old Swedish roundels from an Airfix Basset kit, and Canadian roundels of the same vintage but unknown origin. I need to home produce Polish roundels (squareals?) and a 'roo and kiwi for the Aussie and NZ roundels.

Clipper Dave has sent me the travelling box he made, and very good it is too, photos later. Unfortunately it's exact dimensions are A5, which means the nice little A5 log book I found won't fit inside. Nil desperandum, I think I know where I'm going with this so not a major problem.

So, if all goes to plan :pray::pray::pray: (it hasn't so far, but you never know!) I should have the plane finished off this coming week, and photographed and sent it on it's way the week after.

Flying Officer Kyte
11-04-2012, 12:35
Right, 4th November update.

The Caproni painting programme was delayed by a couple of days as I had to go oop North for work. The painting and gloss varnishing's finished, and I've started decorating the top wing with roundels from every country participating. Dom' s put my decal order in the post which will give me my Belgian and American roundels, and my bag of decals turned up some 30 year old Swedish roundels from an Airfix Basset kit, and Canadian roundels of the same vintage but unknown origin. I need to home produce Polish roundels (squareals?) and a 'roo and kiwi for the Aussie and NZ roundels.

Clipper Dave has sent me the travelling box he made, and very good it is too, photos later. Unfortunately it's exact dimensions are A5, which means the nice little A5 log book I found won't fit inside. Nil desperandum, I think I know where I'm going with this so not a major problem.

So, if all goes to plan :pray::pray::pray: (it hasn't so far, but you never know!) I should have the plane finished off this coming week, and photographed and sent it on it's way the week after.

Grand Gunners.
I await its arrival with anticipation. They tell me "Andrews" is goo for that.
Rob.

Baldrick62
11-04-2012, 12:46
GT,
Not sure of the flight plan you're using, but South Bucks is weathered in and closed to traffic until the last week of Nov.
BofB

Guntruck
11-04-2012, 14:56
GT,
Not sure of the flight plan you're using

Plan???? Oh yeah, plan. Ummmmm.....:eek:

Guntruck
11-15-2012, 12:56
Finally all the elements have come together, despite Sod's Law manifesting itself at every opportunity (Computer gasped it's last costing me 2 grand to replace, printer running out of ink and having to order more, decals bubbling when gloss varnished, wing coming off when I thought I had used enough superglue to stick a Hummvee to the ceiling, SLR packing up when taking first tour shots at Hendon, forcing me to use SWMBO's pocket camera - my excuse for a slightly dodgy shot).

The Grand Tour is now officially under way. PMs later to the participants - and there is still time if anyone else wishes to join in.

Photos of the tour can be seen here (http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/album.php?albumid=1793). I'll be locking this thread at the weekend and starting a new sticky thread (http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?12456-The-Wings-of-Glory-Aerodrome-Grand-Tour-2012-2013&p=179508#post179508)to cover the tour proper.

I have also been remiss in not publicly thanking Clipper for coming up with the box which will keep this baby safe. Thanks Dave

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=65920&d=1353010656

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=65921&d=1353010658

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=65919&d=1353010654

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=65917&d=1353010650

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=65918&d=1353010652

Flying Officer Kyte
11-15-2012, 13:38
:salute:All looks stupendous Steve.
I can't wait to see it in the wood as it were. Which reminds me to also thank Clipper for supplying the box.
Well chocks away chaps, and now the success of the mission all rests with the Penguin Flight Crew, and our ground support teams.:fixit:
Kyte.:FOK:

Nightbomber
11-15-2012, 13:44
The plane is awesome, amazing, stunning and gorgeous - all together! Steve and David - T H A N K S for completing the whole thing:salute:

csadn
11-15-2012, 13:59
OK, I have to ask:

"Penguins -- why did it have to be penguins?" :)

Flying Officer Kyte
11-15-2012, 14:13
OK, I have to ask:

I guess they just "popped up" at the right time Chris, and you know how we Brits like to do things by the book.
Rob.

BobP
11-15-2012, 15:06
Awesome. Should be some time since it is coming aroud the opposite way but thats cool.

RJB
11-15-2012, 15:11
Absolutely Awesome Gunners :thumbsup::clap::clap:

I shall follow it's flight with interest

Richard

gully_raker
11-15-2012, 15:15
:thumbsup::clap::clap::clap: Fantastic work Steve!
Love the Penguins! Looking forward to having it arrive in Moruya some time after Christmas.
Thanks to Clipper as well for the Box.:D

Nightbomber
11-15-2012, 16:11
Flying Penguins in the Great War? Nothing unusual...

clipper1801
11-15-2012, 16:15
If it had reindeer on the other wing it would be a bipolar biplane fighter, just sayin . . . Thanks to all the willing hosts for the posts!

wargamer
11-15-2012, 16:59
If it had reindeer on the other wing it would be a bipolar biplane fighter, just sayin . . . Thanks to all the willing hosts for the posts!

You mean bipolar biplane bomber right?

The Cowman
11-15-2012, 19:04
Got room for one more?? ;)

redcoon2
11-15-2012, 21:34
Guess with all the Ohioans that've signed on so far I'd better signup and throw my "hat-in-the-ring" too, so we can make sure it makes proper appearances from north to central to southern Ohio as it passes through on the world tour. Perhaps we could arrange it so this special plane manages to fly through each of the major gaming events on it's travels...Origins, Gamecon, Cancon, plus the major annual events in New Zealand, Australia, Italy, England...Scotland...all the names escape me but you get the idea. Anyway, sign me up, please.

Marechallannes
11-16-2012, 00:21
It looks perfect!

Guntruck
11-16-2012, 04:09
Got room for one more?? ;)

Only if you unlock the mess while the Oberst is away. :pint:

Perhaps we could arrange it so this special plane manages to fly through each of the major gaming events on it's travels...Origins, Gamecon, Cancon,

Yep, that should successfully hold things up for a good 6 months :hmm:. The whole point of this is that Keith gets it in plenty of time to raffle it to help fund getting next year's lend-lease candidate to Origins, so hanging on to it until the next show ist verboten. See the first post for details.

Anyways, PM me your snailmail addresses please, and I'll stick you on the flying rosta.

Guntruck
11-16-2012, 04:14
OK, I have to ask:

In honour of the long-running Flying Penguins (http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?1840-Flying-Penguins&highlight=penguin)thread.

That and I couldn't find any cows to fit ;)

grumpybear
11-16-2012, 06:04
Plane looks great, crew is awsome

Flying Officer Kyte
11-16-2012, 10:04
In honour of the long-running Flying Penguins (http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?1840-Flying-Penguins&highlight=penguin)thread.

That and I couldn't find any cows to fit ;)

You do us too much honour Squadron Leader.
Rob.

Bluedevil
11-17-2012, 00:53
This is awesome...:eek: Can't wait to see it "Life":thumbsup::thumbsup:;);)

Guntruck
11-17-2012, 13:48
OK peeps, the tour is underway so I am closing this thread, and the tour can now be followed here:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?12456-The-Wings-of-Glory-Aerodrome-Grand-Tour-2012-2013