PDA

View Full Version : Here comes the cavalry!

MoonSylver
09-29-2012, 20:29
After all the account of Voss' last dogfight & how it started + how another German joined on his side (briefly) I started thinking about how one could add other combatants that might join in the fray (Kind of a "wandering monster" if you will) in an organic manor with out adding a lot of dice rolling or extra complication.

I'm considering maybe adding a stick on dot, 1 for each side, onto 2 of the damage deck cards. If it comes up, then you could roll on a chart designed for each side that would list # of planes & type.

Flying Officer Kyte
09-30-2012, 01:05
An interesting concept Rob.
It is another matter that I have pondered as many accounts by pilots include accounts of aircraft from different squadrons turning up, giving a couple of helping passes and then just swanning off again. It would be interesting to add the duration of their input to the chart before they depart.
Rob.

flash
09-30-2012, 01:36
Maybe you could do it on the turn of the boom card - and allow for the fact that nothing might come & join the fray? Maybe it won't matter who gets the boom card, just dice to see which side gets the reinforcement ! So many possibilities. Neat idea Rob. ;)

HTRAINo
09-30-2012, 13:22
Or perhaps use a '0' damage card with the Green jammed icon as the 'activator'? I have been thinking along these lines recently too.

MoonSylver
09-30-2012, 20:09
Maybe you could do it on the turn of the boom card - and allow for the fact that nothing might come & join the fray? Maybe it won't matter who gets the boom card, just dice to see which side gets the reinforcement ! So many possibilities. Neat idea Rob. ;)

Or perhaps use a '0' damage card with the Green jammed icon as the 'activator'? I have been thinking along these lines recently too.

Both of these are good ideas for ways to implement w/out altering the deck(s) in any way. Glancing through the A & B decks I see:
1 each of Red/Green jams in 0 & 2 denominations in the A deck &
2 each Red/Green (0) & 1 each Red/Green (1) in the B deck

Given that you'd probably want it to be a fairly rare occurrence maybe The 0's for the A, 1's for the B, one side Red, one side Green?

Thanks for the input! :)

Flying Officer Kyte
09-30-2012, 23:57
Both of these are good ideas for ways to implement w/out altering the deck(s) in any way. Glancing through the A & B decks I see:
1 each of Red/Green jams in 0 & 2 denominations in the A deck &
2 each Red/Green (0) & 1 each Red/Green (1) in the B deck

Given that you'd probably want it to be a fairly rare occurrence maybe The 0's for the A, 1's for the B, one side Red, one side Green?

Thanks for the input! :)

Sounds like a good idea to me with the minimum of fuss.
Rob.

HTRAINo
10-01-2012, 12:57
I am imagining this in my next game. I am picturing me getting 'jammed' and also another plane appearing in either mine/my opponents deployment zone.

Depending on if a green (me) or red (opponent) is drawn.

I am however thinking that to make it 'fairer', and before the game starts, both players agree on the amount/limit of re-enforcements to be used.
Edit to suit?

MoonSylver
10-01-2012, 22:23
I am imagining this in my next game. I am picturing me getting 'jammed' and also another plane appearing in either mine/my opponents deployment zone.

Depending on if a green (me) or red (opponent) is drawn.

I am however thinking that to make it 'fairer', and before the game starts, both players agree on the amount/limit of re-enforcements to be used.
Edit to suit?

Hadn't thought it 100% that far. The image I had in my head was a small-ish chart w/ results from 1 underpowered plane to X#? planes of equal (or even one of them greater?) ability. Plus I had this image of an Ace result in there too.

Maybe too complicated. I do like the idea though. :)

Flying Officer Kyte
10-02-2012, 01:36
Edit to suit?

I was thinking along the lines of the opposite idea.
You just don't know how many planes are going to turn up. Just like many of the stories from real combats, you just have to know when it is time to cut and run.
Rob.

flash
10-02-2012, 01:52
Soo many options & all good ! ;)

MoonSylver
10-02-2012, 22:15
I was thinking along the lines of the opposite idea.
You just don't know how many planes are going to turn up. Just like many of the stories from real combats, you just have to know when it is time to cut and run.
Rob.

Exactly. I'd like some option to see some aid turn up of inferior quality/quantity (but perhaps it might be enough to tip the scales) & the option that reinforcements turn up in such force that the other side would (most likely) be foolish if they didn't cut & run. :)

Soo many options & all good ! ;)

Agreed! :thumbsup: