PDA

View Full Version : Additional WWI aircraft

Bluedevil
03-23-2010, 07:52
I know some people are heavy into recreating historical Escadrilles, Jasta's, Squadrons etc...

They face the problem of having to buy a lot of expensive models to repaint or to search the web for models of not-yet-existing-WoW-models...

I stumbled recently across a site of a miniature manufacturer perhaps already known to some of you :

http://www.wargamesfactory.com/Home.htm

There is a nice twist to all of this : they give you the opportunity to choose which models they should make...
Have a look at the WWI section of their "Liberty and union" section...:eek:

There are some pretty interesting suggestions made concerning WWI aviation!
( and I can think of a few to make myself :rolleyes: )

Any comments on this?

Charlie3
03-24-2010, 14:24
Looks intresting. Their human figures look good, however I noticed that they do not have any pictures of any equipment so I wonder how crisp their sculpting will be.

If we can get a bunch of us to vote for one plane, say the Sopwith Triplane, maybe we can get one in production quickly and see how they do.

Bluedevil
03-26-2010, 00:04
Yes, If there's enough of us and we decide which plane to vote for this could turn out to be an asset.
That's why I posted this :D

Pooh
03-26-2010, 09:15
The Tripe or the Pup would both be good choices for me.

Pooh

Charlie3
03-26-2010, 18:55
I just mentioned the Sopwith Tripe because it was already on their list. I would be up for any of the aircraft that already have cards in the game but no mini.

Flying Officer Kyte
03-27-2010, 14:07
It looks like a good idea, but I pre ordered half a dozen 5A's about a year ago and since then it has stuck at about 30% ever since. They seem to race up at first and then peter out before hitting the production number. As suggested we would all really have to get together on this one and order on mass for it to work.

Pooh
03-27-2010, 15:25
So if enough of us want additional planes (and with the lethargic rate of intoduction from Nexus, I'm one of them) let's pick one for a trial to see how they do.
I'm with Charlie about picking one that already has a card even if it leaves out the Sopwith Strutter & Pup. So my vote is for the tripe but I will add on to what the group picks.

Pooh

richard m schwab
03-28-2010, 05:36
Alex i have been watching this site for nearly two years, and there is more talk than action! The idea sounds good does not seem to produce any planes!

Rich

Charlie3
03-28-2010, 06:33
Alex i have been watching this site for nearly two years, and there is more talk than action! The idea sounds good does not seem to produce any planes

RichWell as figure makers, they may be reluctant to try their hand at equipment. Hence my earlier comment. An aircraft may be outside of their realm of ability.

While checking out their site, I did notice one or two entries that were at "0" which should mean that there was enough intrest in the title for them to be prototyped for production. However I did not see anywhere to order these pre-production sprues, or any progress reports.

The intent seems to be to get ideas for products that will have an instant sales appeal so they can make sales projections. You all know as well as I do that gamers are a fickle lot, and what they want now will change based on their "NEW" favorite game next week. So I am guessing that if an item takes months or years to fill up they decide the idea is not worth the effort. The process of design, and production of the injection molds must be costly, I am sure they don't make the choices lightly.

STILL...I really would like a Sopwith Tripe, and an S.E. 5a:)

richard m schwab
03-28-2010, 07:02
There is hope at last hope for your missing planes.

Rich

http://www.tin-soldier.com/soptriplane.htm

http://www.tin-soldier.com/MacchiM5.htm

gregbond77
03-28-2010, 16:14
This sounds like a good Idea, BUT unless I miss read the web site you need 1000 pre orders. So we have to get 500 people to order 2 each or 333 people to order 3 each. Can we get that many? If we can I'm on board and don't care what plane you choose as long as its not a WoW mini or furture mini.

Bluedevil
03-29-2010, 03:28
Seems like I stirred something up here :)

I am also following the progress on this site for a couple of months and I've noticed that most things stop at around 30%...
That was the main reason I've started this thread: I was hoping to find some people that are willing to give this thing a go and see what happens...

So if we can agree on an aircraft we all can use...

Personally I would go for

http://www.wargamesfactory.com/BookingRetrieve.aspx?ID=40032

I am open to suggestions... The Pup seems like a good idea ( Belgians received 7 from the RFC in 1917 )

But I'll go for any aircraft...:cool:

I think this could be really interesting for those people who want to recreate a squadron or something like that...

I think the main question will be how close these will be to the scale of the "official" aircraft miniatures...

Just a few thoughts...:confused:

The Blue Baron
03-29-2010, 04:00
STILL...I really would like a Sopwith Tripe, and an S.E. 5a:)

Tripe = Triplane?

There is one from Red Eagle 1:144 Scale WWI Aircraft:
Skytrex. (http://www.skytrex.com/)

Guntruck
03-29-2010, 05:44
The problem is to get sufficient people to ante up - 1000 pre-orders is a fair old number to reach. And bear in mind that most of the aircraft on the list have been sitting there for well over a year (I know 'cos I put up a few myself), and haven't exactly set the world alight in terms of pre-orders.

It's a shame - because of the initial excitement on other forums about the possibility of getting aircraft made, I thought this idea might fly (:o I'll get my coat...)

I know that there are many other a/c available from Riveresco and Skytrex, but I've never been too impresssed by these and don't think metal is the right medium for aircraft at this scale, due to overthick wings and 'bendy' struts. Injection plastic I feel would give a better scale appearance with a little more rigidity.

Bluedevil
03-29-2010, 06:12
The problem is to get sufficient people to ante up - 1000 pre-orders is a fair old number to reach. And bear in mind that most of the aircraft on the list have been sitting there for well over a year (I know 'cos I put up a few myself), and haven't exactly set the world alight in terms of pre-orders.

It's a shame - because of the initial excitement on other forums about the possibility of getting aircraft made, I thought this idea might fly (:o I'll get my coat...)

I know that there are many other a/c available from Riveresco and Skytrex, but I've never been too impresssed by these and don't think metal is the right medium for aircraft at this scale, due to overthick wings and 'bendy' struts. Injection plastic I feel would give a better scale appearance with a little more rigidity.

How about letting us know which ones you've put up yourself and we may boost them a bit ;)

P.S I've seen a few of Skytrex aircraft at a wargaming convention ( WWII ) and I wasn't to wild of them either...

check6
03-29-2010, 06:47
the brisfit and se5 are the farthest along of the WWI planes on that list, perhaps we should then focus on the brisfit (the Se5 we are about to get already) so that all our votes can be focused and we can get one plane soon and see about others later. (besides the brisfit is awesome)

Bluedevil
03-29-2010, 06:52
If there is an agreement on doing this we could start a poll about which aircraft... First we need to find out which aircraft to choose from in the poll : so far we have the Tripe, Pup, Brisfit..
Are there more suggestions?

Guntruck
03-29-2010, 11:52
How about letting us know which ones you've put up yourself and we may boost them a bit ;)

The Nieuport 28 was one that I asked for, I think there might have been another one but can't remember which.

If there is an agreement on doing this we could start a poll about which aircraft... First we need to find out which aircraft to choose from in the poll : so far we have the Tripe, Pup, Brisfit..

IIRC, the SE5a got a reasonable interest up until the time Nexus announced they were doing one. I would imagine the Fokker E.III might share the same fate. I would suggest that it might be best to go for any plane that Nexus isn't likely to be making any time soon. Personally I would like to see a Sopwith Tripe or a Pup, but how about something like a Be2 for Fe2, Siemens Schuckert D.III or Pfalz D.XI?

Bluedevil
03-29-2010, 12:39
I am ok with both the Pup and the Tripe with a slight preference for the Pup because I could place some Belgian cockades on them...

The Hanriot HD 1 is also tempting because although it is one of Italy's an Belgium' s main fighters it isn't likely to be made "officially".
Personally I don't understand why they didn't put a blue HD1 with the balloons as Wiilly Coppens is the top balloon busting ace by far... As a Belgian citizen I find it slightly offending..:mad: The "Le Prieur" rockets have been use only marginally to say the least as they were more dangerous to the one firing them than to the one at the receiving end.:rolleyes:

That, and Angiolini being Italian himself, it beats the hell out of me why we still don't have a Hanriot ... But the Italian front as well as the Belgian front are always a bit underestimated....:o
perhaps because the books that tell that story are written in Flemish ( Dutch )and Italian...

Ah well ..I' m rambling on so I better stop ...:cool:

gregbond77
03-29-2010, 15:17

I would be OK with any of those three. Even thoughy I just finshed my mock up of the Reviresco Triplane, as soon as I get out of the insanity ward I'll tear it down paint it and put it back together.

The Blue Baron
03-30-2010, 07:48
Personally I don't understand why they didn't put a blue HD1 with the balloons as Wiilly Coppens is the top balloon busting ace by far...

I don't nderstant that either. Coppens Hanriot would have been my first choice for a balloon busting plane. Followed by Luke's Spad and Gontermanns Dr.I...

I suppose it was quite easy to make a N16 because there allready was the simillar N17...

Bluedevil
04-01-2010, 11:51
I've been busy lately , hence the late reaction...

I was thinking that if we activate a new suggestion on the site mentioned it could take some time before we see some results... There are already a few suggestions made by other persons so maybe we could decide which one to "boost"... That way we would benefit from the already exisitng percentages...

Any ideas?:confused:

gregbond77
04-01-2010, 15:29
I've been busy lately , hence the late reaction...

I was thinking that if we activate a new suggestion on the site mentioned it could take some time before we see some results... There are already a few suggestions made by other persons so maybe we could decide which one to "boost"... That way we would benefit from the already exisitng percentages...

Any ideas?:confused:

I think that's the best idea. We will still need alot of people!

gregbond77
04-01-2010, 16:09
There is a member who wants to see pictures of the American Heritage game Dogfight(I have 2 copies) and some of the WWI 1/144 scale aircraft I have built(Se5a,Nieuport 11 & 28,Phaflz D-III & D-XII,Albatros D-II, and Junkers D-I). Problem, I use the computer at the public library can not post pic's from here. Is there anyone from the Seattle(USA) area that can post pic's and would be willing to help? Or is there anyone who could post the pic's if I mailed them?

richard m schwab
04-03-2010, 14:25
Guys i have been watching the numbers at Wargames Factory for two years now some of those numbers have not changed in that time. They are producing what they want and not a lot of that. In the WW2 section people want 144 scale planes you can buy else where. When i first found that page the SE-5a was at 30% after two years it is at 34%. Unless you commit to buying 664 of those they will never be made, and that is at an unstated price?
Reviresco makes a nice looking SE-5a see links below.

Rich

http://www.tin-soldier.com/cgi-bin/ustorekeeper.pl

http://www.tin-soldier.com/fighter/pilot/se5a.htm

gregbond77
04-03-2010, 15:53
Guys i have been watching the numbers at Wargames Factory for two years now some of those numbers have not changed in that time. They are producing what they want and not a lot of that. In the WW2 section people want 144 scale planes you can buy else where. When i first found that page the SE-5a was at 30% after two years it is at 34%. Unless you commit to buying 664 of those they will never be made, and that is at an unstated price?
Reviresco makes a nice looking SE-5a see links below.

Rich

http://www.tin-soldier.com/cgi-bin/ustorekeeper.pl

http://www.tin-soldier.com/fighter/pilot/se5a.htm

It is a good kit. I built one. Mine had two problem areas. The fuselage halves did not match up the right side was taller than the left. I glued the halves together with the bottom matching up( to make sure the bottom wing would go on straight) then put some masking tape on the right side covering the cylinder head and applyed some putty. Then sanded to match left side. I was quite easy, really. The other problem was the cabine struts they were way to thick so I made my own out of flat brass. With the interplane struts being boxed it makes putting on and aligning the top wing easy. Or just wait for series 4.

richard m schwab
04-04-2010, 04:40
Greg You are correct, if you have patience you wait for the series 4 planes.
If not they are an option. I do WW2 DOW in 144 so i know about the problems
building any kit. The kit option allows for custom paint jobs and insignia! Here is another option see link below!

Rich

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?p=13478&posted=1#post13478

Gbear58
04-05-2010, 14:02
Greetings,
Has anyone tried the several paper models available for WWI? I have manged to download and scale several different planes and achieved really good results for most of the aircraft decks available (Siemens D III/DIV, SE5a, HD-1, Fokker D VIII,Sopwith Triplanes, Gotha bombers, and Hadley Paige 0/400) A little work and the results are very acceptable and quite inexpensive.
I will up load my pictures as soon as I get them to the computer.
Gbear58

Guntruck
04-06-2010, 02:38
For the DoW WW2 game, I have been using 1/144 kits from this company

http://www.sweetaviationmodels.com/

Range is a bit limited but the aircraft are relatively cheap, with usually 2 kits per box.

richard m schwab
04-06-2010, 17:14
Steve! I am building a pair of the Hurricane Mk1 at the moment. In the past i have built every thing they make except the P-51B`s i have two sets but have not built them. I bought mine at the IPMS Nationals when twas here in Virginia Beach two years ago. I also picked up some books from SAM publications who came over for the show. The online Outfit HLJ Hobby Link Japan came and were selling them for $10 @ on the first day and down to $7.00 @ the last day. You have quite a few good shows coming up on your side of the pond according
Scale Aviation Modeller. I read a friends copy every now and then!:)

Rich

http://www.sampublications.com/sampubs.htm

Burt
07-21-2011, 14:44
Just checked the Wargames Factory website and all the listings for 1/144 WW1 aircraft have now been removed so it looks like there will be not be any planes produced by them.
Don