PDA

View Full Version : Standard and vertical dive bombing - i need to clear up the rules

Lino22
09-22-2012, 12:00
Hi guys,

i've read the rules and some parts of how the dive bombing is carried out get me tangled.

"...Before revealing any maneuver, if both its last executed maneuver and its next planned maneuver are special dives
the bomber can decide to drop one or more groups of bombs..."

1. I guess i have to use both the special dive cards consequently to drop the bombs, is that right? The last maneuver (flipped) has been the first
special dive card, the next planned maneuver (still concealed) is the other one, so i shall announce bombing, flip the other dive card and play the bomb card before the firing segment - is that correct?

" the next card planned after one of them (special dive cards) must be either the other one or a high speed non-steep maneuver."

2. Does this mean that i can play even a high-speed non steep maneuver after the first special dive card? Can i drop the bombs after that?
If not, does it mean that i can use the special dive even as a common maneuver, without any bombing on my mind?

3. If i flip the first dive card with a Stuka token on it, can i for some reason decide not to carry out the vertical bombing and play the other dive card without the Stuka token and move like in case of the standard dive bombing, dropping the bomb right after?

CappyTom
09-23-2012, 04:36
For 1. You do not have to use both but you can. You have to remember that after you announce that you are bombing you must play another card then drop your bombs.
Now 2. When using the stuka token then the plane does not get placed in front of the card but the next movement card gets placed there as the plane is almost vertical. Now if you use another special dive then the bomb will go in front of the dive card not the plane. If you use a high speed non-steep maneuver then the plane will go in front of the movement card, then the altitude rule for how far the bombs will travel using a high speed straight card. This is if you have decided to drop your bomb load.

Hope this helps.
Thomas

Lino22
09-23-2012, 07:00
Tom thank you, i guess i understand now. Can i use the Stuka vertical dive maneuver as a common maneuver (say to evade from danger), or does this has to be used only for the vertical dove bombing purposes?

CappyTom
09-23-2012, 09:04
Tom thank you, i guess i understand now. Can i use the Stuka vertical dive maneuver as a common maneuver (say to evade from danger), or does this has to be used only for the vertical dove bombing purposes?

Yes, just don't declare that you are dropping your bombs. Now this will only work with altitude rules.

Lino22
09-23-2012, 09:35
I was kind of wondering if i can use it while we're ignoring the altitude rules - just to stop from moving :). I guess that would be a bit too much.

Baldrick62
09-23-2012, 09:37
Personally, I think using the special Stuka dive as an evasion manoeuvre is 'gaming it'. The Stuka, like any dive bomber, expects to conduct its attack run (or dive in this case) without having enemy aircraft to deal with. For this reason, once committed to the attack dive the Stuka is on auto-pilot, and due to the pull-out sequence, is extremely vulnerable at the end of the dive as the aircraft's movement is completely predictable.

From Wiki:
'Diving Procedure - Flying at 4,600 m (15,000 ft), the pilot located his target through a bombsight window in the cockpit floor. The pilot moved the dive lever to the rear, limiting the "throw" of the control column. The dive brakes were activated automatically, the pilot set the trim tabs, retarded his throttle and closed the coolant flaps. The aircraft then rolled 180°, automatically nosing the aircraft into a dive. Red tabs protruded from the upper surfaces of the wing as a visual indicator to the pilot that, in case of a g-induced black-out, the automatic dive recovery system would be activated. The Stuka dived at a 60-90° angle, holding a constant speed of 500–600 km/h (350-370 mph) due to dive-brake deployment, which increased the accuracy of the Ju 87's aim.

When the aircraft was reasonably close to the target, a light on the contact altimeter came on to indicate the bomb-release point, usually at a minimum height of 450 m (1,500 ft). The pilot released the bomb and initiated the automatic pull-out mechanism by depressing a knob on the control column.[24] An elongated U-shaped crutch located under the fuselage swung the bomb out of the way of the propeller, and the aircraft automatically began a 6 g pullout. Once the nose was above the horizon, dive brakes were retracted, the throttle was opened, and the propeller was set to climb. The pilot regained control and resumed normal flight. The coolant flaps had to be reopened quickly to prevent overheating.

Physical stress on the crew was severe. Human beings subjected to more than 5 g forces in a seated position will suffer vision impairment in the form of a grey veil known to Stuka pilots as "seeing stars". They lose vision while remaining conscious; after five seconds, they black out. The Ju 87 pilots experienced the visual impairments most during "pull-up" from a dive.'

CappyTom
09-23-2012, 12:27
Yes you are right Baldrick. But it is a game. And you can find loop holes in them all.

Thomas

Lino22
09-24-2012, 12:59
One more thing: can i play a special dive card (standard way) - announce bombing - and then, as my second card, play the vertical bombing and drop the bombs that way? Or it is not possible to mix these two styles ...?

Thomatchef
09-27-2012, 11:11
Maybe this can be of help...

There are more of those in one of my albums

Lino22
09-27-2012, 22:17
It says that if the first dive has the Stuka marker the second dive must have the marker too. That makes sense. However if the first dive doesn't have the Stuka marker the second dive may or may not have the Stuka marker. At least the rules don't speak about it - the rules forbid the one situation instead of speaking generally.
So i'd say you may - it seems to make sense both game and authenticity-wise. First you dive and then you go on with your nose pointing the target. The reason i was asking is that by being allowed to combine the two, you have a lot better chance to hit the target. Thank you for the picture.